HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Boyle, McDonagh, and Stralman wait for the flag to leave the ice

Old
04-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Boyle, McDonagh, and Stralman wait for the flag to leave the ice

Didn't know where to put this, so if it belongs in another thread, feel free to move it.

It really struck me because I for one am very patriotic and take great pride in being American. I myself during the anthem don't clap or make any noises. While everyone in the arena is clapping during the last verse, I'm standing still with my hand over my chest, silent. This really made an impression on me.

EDIT: Now that I see Stralman does it as well and he isn't even American, that makes a big impression on me. I have a lot more respect for him now. Kudos to Stralman.

Last edited by Clowes Line: 04-05-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Didn't think it was possible but I love McD and Boyle even more now. I remember that Jagr was huge on America as well.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:26 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Someone mentioned it a couple of games ago so I made sure to take note of it Sunday. Wonder if there's anyone else that does it.

04-04-2012, 10:34 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

that's what they should do! good coaching.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:25 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

04-04-2012, 11:26 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Nice story.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:02 AM
daggs94

I was at a game a few weeks ago, I can't remember which game but Stepan started and he waited for the flag to leave before he left the line, no other player waited but him, I don't remember if McD started that game or not though

daggs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:42 AM
egelband

They should train my dog, too. Wish she's 'stay' better

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:25 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

That's what they should do.

I too am patriotic and very thankful to our troops through history.

Classy gesture from our players.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 04-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Legend23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
that's what they should do! good coaching.
This is not a coaching move

Legend23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

It shows me that they are staying down to earth as professionals, which is always good to see.

I don't equate the flag with patriotism exclusively, but good for them.

04-05-2012, 08:05 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend23 View Post
This is not a coaching move
Maybe it's a NCAA breed instinct?

Just a guess since it's Boyle, McD, & on a different night Stepan when he was a starter.

My local D1 team is a small school and their flag is hung from a goal end wall. All those guys came from big schools, maybe they have a big walk out flag ceremony pregame as well and thats what they are used to doing?

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Awesome. Just awesome.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
I think someone took a pic of Stralman waiting for the flag to exit as well.

Thordic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

I'm even more impressed by the posture. These two are standing perfectly straight, and still. Most players bounce around during the anthem

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

People can be patriotic however they want, so I don't really think of this as a big deal. However, to the OP: putting your hand over your heart during the anthem isn't actually appropriate. Your hand goes over your heart when you're swearing an oath or making a pledge, which you are not doing during the anthem. Technically, the appropriate thing during the anthem is to stand at attention. Like I said, it's not a big deal and just something people don't tend to think about. And like I said, since people find their own ways to be patriotic, I think of the cheering during the anthem the same way. It's not technically appropriate, but it is patriotic and that's what matters.

As for Boyle and McDonagh, good for them. I'm sure a bunch of the other Americans do similar things on the Rangers. This is a very American group. We have an equal number of Americans as Canadians in the lineup, which is rare.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:49 AM
The Beezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I think someone took a pic of Stralman waiting for the flag to exit as well.
Yeah, but that doesn't count. He was scratched and in the press box.

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
People can be patriotic however they want, so I don't really think of this as a big deal. However, to the OP: putting your hand over your heart during the anthem isn't actually appropriate. Your hand goes over your heart when you're swearing an oath or making a pledge, which you are not doing during the anthem. Technically, the appropriate thing during the anthem is to stand at attention. Like I said, it's not a big deal and just something people don't tend to think about. And like I said, since people find their own ways to be patriotic, I think of the cheering during the anthem the same way. It's not technically appropriate, but it is patriotic and that's what matters.

As for Boyle and McDonagh, good for them. I'm sure a bunch of the other Americans do similar things on the Rangers. This is a very American group. We have an equal number of Americans as Canadians in the lineup, which is rare.
Are you really going to go there? Since when it is not okay for people to do things there own way? (if it wasn't truly a big deal, you would not have wrote the paragraph and brought it up)

That being said I think it shows the amount of respect that those two have for their country and I for one am happy as hell to see it.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:42 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Didn't think it was possible but I love McD and Boyle even more now. I remember that Jagr was huge on America as well.
That'll happen when you grow up dirt poor under the thumb of communism. When he was growing up he kept a picture of Ronald Reagan in his school book.

Quote:
One day, sure enough, the teacher picked up Jagr's grade book to write down the score he had made on a test and found the photograph. Are you crazy, Jaromir? Take it out, she told him. So he did. But as soon as class was over, Jagr put the photograph of Ronald Reagan, president of the United States, back into his grade book. Jagr admired Reagan because he was somebody who stood up to the Communists, who had identified the Soviet Union as the "evil empire" that Jagr's family knew it to be. Month after month the teacher continued to find that photo of Reagan in Jagr's grade book, continued to admonish him, but she never confiscated it. And every time, when class was over, Jagr would slip it back into its place.

"In school we were always taught the Soviet doctrine," Jagr says. "The U.S.A. was bad and wanted war. Russia was our friend and was preventing the United States from bombing us. Even my father didn't tell me the truth, because he was afraid I'd say something in school that would get us into trouble. But my grandmother, she told me the truth."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...4325/index.htm

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Stralman does the same as well.

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
People can be patriotic however they want, so I don't really think of this as a big deal....

And like I said, since people find their own ways to be patriotic, I think of the cheering during the anthem the same way. It's not technically appropriate, but it is patriotic and that's what matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Are you really going to go there? Since when it is not okay for people to do things there own way? (if it wasn't truly a big deal, you would not have wrote the paragraph and brought it up):
You're right, because typing is such a huge endeavor that one should only do it if it's a big deal.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissFreakinWatch View Post
Stralman does the same as well.

There we go, I knew I saw that picture somewhere.

Thordic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

It is appropriate.

Quote:
The Salute
To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.
http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

I'm a soldier. I've been to a billion ceremonies with the flag -- outdoors and indoors.

When not in uniform, you place your hand over your heart. It's army regulation and civilian etiquette.

Soldiers are not allowed to slaute indoors for the anthem. They stand at attention.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
It is appropriate.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

I'm a soldier. I've been to a billion ceremonies with the flag -- outdoors and indoors.

When not in uniform, you place your hand over your heart. It's army regulation and civilian etiquette.

Soldiers are not allowed to slaute indoors for the anthem. They stand at attention.
Interesting! Looks like a lot of very knowledgable people I know were wrong about this. Oh well, sorry for the misinformation then.

Old
04-05-2012, 03:44 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
It shows me that they are staying down to earth as professionals, which is always good to see.

I don't equate the flag with patriotism exclusively, but good for them.
Same here

I love this Canadian sport!

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote