HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most frustrating game you can remember watching

Old
04-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Slenke

vCash: 500
There are way too many frustrating Rangers game for me to single one out. So I'm gonna go with a lot of Rangers games.

Rangers is the most frustrating team to watch, but somehow we get it where it needs to go. And the harder it is, the better it feels afterwards.

Slenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
One of Renney's last games, if not the last. A loss to a terrible Toronto team which included two bench minors. Disgraceful.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This game. Game 4 in 1992 against Pittsburgh. Rangers had leads of 2-0,3-1 and 4-2. They lost 5-4 in OT. Mike Richter gave up a brutal goal at 2:30 on the tape. Less than 10 minutes left in the game. The Rangers had a 5 minute PP and did nothing and then Mike gave up that goal. Roger pulled Richter.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers would have won the Cup in 1992.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers would have won the Cup in 1992.
Only if Nielson committed to one goalie.

No way they would have one with the tandem. That was Nielsen's 2nd mistake of the Pens series.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Dont forget Messier's turnovers in Game 4. I guess he made up for them later.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:01 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Who here remembers the Morrow game???? Who was there?

The Maloney goal was the worst thing that could have happened, because it suckered us all in.

You just knew the Rangers were going to lose. That's why I get so mad at this friggin team. Year after year of teasing and teasing and teasing.

Beating the Isles in 1984 would have been the Stanley Cup...Ending the Drive for 5 on Nassau ice...I was 11 years old and i would have retired as a fan for good if they just won that game.

I was abused by my friends and family for years because of that goal. I felt shame. I felt like crawling under a rock.

IMO 10000000 times worse than 1992 PDF or the 2004 ALCS or the 1997 bench brawl against the Heat

I hate Glen Hanlon because of it. Hate him, and i was happy he was fired from the Caps...

Some grudges you just never let go of.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Ranger_Engineer
ordo ab chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
This game. Game 4 in 1992 against Pittsburgh. Rangers had leads of 2-0,3-1 and 4-2. They lost 5-4 in OT. Mike Richter gave up a brutal goal at 2:30 on the tape. Less than 10 minutes left in the game. The Rangers had a 5 minute PP and did nothing and then Mike gave up that goal. Roger pulled Richter.

I wanted nothing more than to have the Rangers beat that team.

I acknowledge Lemieux's great skills, but I hated him and his teams. It seemed that he especially loved beating the Rangers.

After getting embarrassed by the Penguins in the 1988-89 playoffs, I thought that there would be redemption since the Rangers were much better this time around.

I destroyed the TV remote when Francis scored from the neutral zone. I thought the game was fixed for about a week.

Ranger_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Engineer View Post
I wanted nothing more than to have the Rangers beat that team.

I acknowledge Lemieux's great skills, but I hated him and his teams. It seemed that he especially loved beating the Rangers.

After getting embarrassed by the Penguins in the 1988-89 playoffs, I thought that there would be redemption since the Rangers were much better this time around.

I destroyed the TV remote when Francis scored from the neutral zone. I thought the game was fixed for about a week.
I respected Lemieux and Jagr a million times more than Crysby and Malkin. They weren't little *****es and Lemieux was a tough son of a *****. I was with MSG with a buddy of mine in 1992 and he ran down to ice level and called Francis a homophobic slur and Francis yelled at him and stared him down and then my buddy got kicked out. Now Francis was a little *****.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

The Maloney goal was the worst thing that could have happened, because it suckered us all in.

You just knew the Rangers were going to lose. That's why I get so mad at this friggin team. Year after year of teasing and teasing and teasing.

Beating the Isles in 1984 would have been the Stanley Cup...Ending the Drive for 5 on Nassau ice...I was 11 years old and i would have retired as a fan for good if they just won that game.

I was abused by my friends and family for years because of that goal. I felt shame. I felt like crawling under a rock.

IMO 10000000 times worse than 1992 PDF or the 2004 ALCS or the 1997 bench brawl against the Heat

I hate Glen Hanlon because of it. Hate him, and i was happy he was fired from the Caps...

Yes this one gets my vote as well. It seemed like Morrow was just trying to hold it in the zone, forget trying to score. Miko Lenninen whiffs on a pass right in front of smith.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Rick Jeanerette: "SHHHHCAOOOREEEEEEEEEEE!!! CHHHHHHRISSSSHHHH DRRRRUUUUURYYYY"

Then lose in OT...worst game ever.

Cried myself to sleep (was 11 years old or so)

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Dactyl

blown 5-0 lead in montreal

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc55 View Post
blown 5-0 lead in montreal
Nah that one was just funny by the end

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:34 AM
MDL8981

Game 5 2007 vs Buffalo is #1 for me. I was actually on vacation in Orlando FL for the final two games of that Sabres series...I had my friends take me to a Buffalo Wild Wings right outside Disney property (we were staying at Disney and they didnt have Versus on their TV's). The place was FULL of Sabres fans. Seriously, the only people rooting for the Rangers were me, one other Rangers fan at the bar, and the guy sitting next to me at the bar who was a Wings fan but rooting for us because he was a huge Shanny fan...and the fact that we were an Original Six team. I was going nuts after Straka's goal...me and the Wings fan guy were high fiving and he bought me a celebratory shot after the goal was allowed lol....and the bar was just dead silent. Thought we had that one wrapped up. Then Drury scores out of nowhere with 7 secs left, and we lose quickly in OT...I have to deal with walking out of that bar getting yelled and heckled at. I was so incredibly crushed.

Game 4 1992 vs Pens is another one too. Maybe even more dissapointing then that was the fact that team crumbled after that rough loss. Yeah the loss sucked but it was still only 2-2 and we still had home ice. But they lose Game 5 at home...and basically no showed Game 6 in Pittsburgh. It proved that team didnt have what it took to be champions. They couldnt handle the adversity that was thrown at them.

I was barely 10 years old for that 1992 series, so while I remember being upset...it didnt crush me the same way as it would have if I was older. Much like that Sabres series did.

Last edited by MDL8981: 04-04-2012 at 12:46 AM.
MDL8981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:56 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

When Drury scored with 7.7 left. Most recently.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:29 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
I'm a Ranger fan.

Can i have a pen and paper please?

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
alkurtz

Here's a golden oldie for long (and I mean long) time Ranger fans.

Stanley Cup playoffs 1967. First time they make the playoffs in four years and the first playoff game for me as a Ranger fan.

Game One, first round in Montreal.

Score with 13 minutes to go: Rangers 4 Montreal 1.

In those prehistoric days, pre-cable, games were on local TV (channel 9 I think) and this game was on tape delay because the Mets were broadcasting a spring training game. Thinking that we had the game won, I turned on the radio to one of the local news stations (no all sports radio in those days) where they gave scores at :15 and :45 after the hour. My idea was to hear the final score and enjoy the last 13 minutes without tension.

Score I heard from the radio: Montreal 5 Rangers 4. I honestly though they made a mistake after I picked myself up off of the floor. Had to watch 13 minutes of sheer brutal play. Frustration doesn't do it justice.

Here's another from the same series. Game 4 at the old MSG, Rangers down 3 game to 0 (actually on the same day that Tom Seaver made his Mets debut).

Great game, up and down the ice wide open game featuring two great young goalies (Eddie Giacomin and Rogie Vachon). Score at the end of regulation: 1-1

A few minutes into OT, Rangers Red Berenson (yes the same guy who is the great college coast) comes up the left wing and blasts a slap shot from the blue line. It gets by Vachon but clangs off of the post. I can still see it and hear it 45 years later. In the next minute or so, John Ferguson scores in a goal mouth scramble and we go home for the summer.

Its true that the oldest and first memories stick around the longest. I've never forgotten the devastating feeling of hearing the score from game 1 on the radio.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:21 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
Rick Jeanerette: "SHHHHCAOOOREEEEEEEEEEE!!! CHHHHHHRISSSSHHHH DRRRRUUUUURYYYY"

Then lose in OT...worst game ever.

Cried myself to sleep (was 11 years old or so)
Holy **** dude, I was 11 years old when you were 1. I feel old now.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:27 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

The most frustrating game for me was game 4 against Pittsburgh in '92. That 91-92 team was great, and with Mario out, they should have taken care of that Pittsburgh squad. Instead, that game was a comedy of errors culminating in Richter's gift to Ronnie Francis.

I was young back then, but I still remember the Pittsburgh fans hanging the "1940 FOREVER" from the rafters. That one hurt.
I'm with you brother. We should have won the Cup that year.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post

I was a freshman in college and listened to that game on a transistor radio in my dorm in Boston. When Morrow scored I threw the radio against the wall (cinderblock) and smashed it.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Pizza

In person, New Years Eve 1978. Up like 5 -2 heading into the 3rd against the Atlanta Flames. Lose the game 6 - 5. Being at that game made it suck even more. Happy frickin new years.

Ever, 1975 playoffs 4 - 3 over time loss to the Islanders. Sealed my hatred for the Islanders for all time.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:57 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
That game we lost to the blues was bad. It was hard for me to watch.
Agreed...Absolutely no flow to the game.

I felt like they were getting away with a ton of obstruction. Either that or our team was skating in mud...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Schweiker17

the montreal game where we were up by 5 is and lost 6-5 is up there, but i remember back when renney was still the coach and henrik was sick the night they were playing dallas and vally had to go in net in emergency and then it was like 10-2 or some ridiculous score, i couldnt believe the rangers lost so badly

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:56 AM
The Beezer

I get fustrated any time they play the Pengiuns. It just seems like every call and bounce goes their way.

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
district9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
if we're not talking playoff series, when we were up 5-0 on montreal and lost 6-5 is up there for me. i remember watching that game and freaking out.
i was going to say this was the most frustrating regular season loss i've ever seen. game 5 of the 94 finals though was by far the most frustrating thing ever

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote