HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider Discussion Part II (4/9 - Signing Imminent)

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Zil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruotsalainen29 View Post
Born in Texas, raised in Cheshire, CT.
Massachusetts or New England. Tomato tomahto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Not that I disagree with you, but to play a little devil's advocate...

Tell that to Tim Erixon. I know his circumstance was influenced by playing time as well but you can't think his Father's history with the NYR didn't have an impact.

I dunno. Just sayin'

To be perfectly clear, I do not believe that Kreider will do the same.
But there's a pretty clear difference between having familial ties to an organization and rooting for it as a kid. It's hard to imagine someone pulling a stunt like that with us anyway. The Rangers are an extremely attractive organization to play for.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This ****ing nonsense again?

He hangs out with the Rangers players everytime they're in Boston.

He skated with them at the MSG Training Center this summer.

He played with Dubinsky and Stepan at the World Championship last summer.

He follows all the Rangers players on twitter.

He's NOT ****ing going to the Bruins.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
SnowblindNYR

So what are the chances we sign him and he plays for us in the playoffs? Seems a tough situation to throw in a kid who hasn't played any professional hockey.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:18 PM
TheRedressor

World Championships are professional hockey these days....

Old
04-04-2012, 08:22 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So what are the chances we sign him and he plays for us in the playoffs? Seems a tough situation to throw in a kid who hasn't played any professional hockey.
not a question worth asking until about 11:00pm tomorrow night.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Paranoid nuts? For raising a question nobody really has brought up? I'm also a Mets fan genius.
Just so you know, it's something that has been discussed countless times over the past six months or so. It actually became such an issue in the prospects thread that we created a devoted Kreider thread.

It's just pain.
Old
04-05-2012, 07:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The current CBA saw the entry level money decrease from the 1995 CBA. The Hockey News did a feature on the CBA last fall. They spoke to player agents and NHL execs. One of the areas of change was the entry level system. They can't lower the money again but they could increase the years. Instead of 18-21 year olds signing 3 year ELC's,they increase to 4 years. 22-23 year olds sign 3 years ELC. One way of limiting big 2nd contracts is increasing the entry level years. The NBA gives a team 4 years of entry level service. Its 2 guaranteed and 2 club option years. The NHL CBA doesn't allow for option years. That August 15 graduating class deadline could also change.

Old
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

All indications from Brooks and other seem to suggest we'll be signing him the minute BC is eliminated.

04-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Snow Soccer

I was under the impression that the ELC in the new CBA may actually be more lucrative given that a lot of russians are staying over there and playing in the KHL for more money. If the KHL was like it is back then, guys like Ovechkin and Malkin might've never come over.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:36 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Soccer View Post
I was under the impression that the ELC in the new CBA may actually be more lucrative given that a lot of russians are staying over there and playing in the KHL for more money. If the KHL was like it is back then, guys like Ovechkin and Malkin might've never come over.
The max salary on an ELC has increased during the course of the current CBA. It's currently 925k per year (Kreider is max of 900k because he was drafted in 2009). So it's possible that the max will continue to go up in small increments during the next CBA.

But I doubt that the NHL feels any pressure from the KHL or would increase ELC money to lure more Russians to the NHL. The trend lately has been young Russian players coming over to play in Canadian juniors to acclimate themselves to North American hockey and prove to NHL teams that they are committed to playing in the NHL, to minimize the "Russian factor".

The NHL is the best hockey league in the world and the best young players still want to play here. I don't see that changing any time soon. The KHL is good for kids who might have trouble making an NHL team, or older players who want to play their final years at home. And yeah, there are some like Cherepanov (RIP) and Tarasenko who will stay in the KHL after they are drafted to develop, but most of those kids will come over to the NHL when they are ready.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:02 AM
pld459666

Hagelin was more of a risk than Kreider is now simply because he could have waited a few months after his college career ended to sign anywhere as opposed to Kreider having to wait well over a year to be a UFA.

Hagelin was drafted before he laced up a college skate, played 4 years, could have become a UFA a few months after graduating.

The risk that Hagelin would have delayed was MUCH greater than Kreider is today.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

For some reason,BC is changing their helmets for the Frozen 4. A rather odd time of the year to be changing equipment. From: @ChrisDilks
Sent: Apr 5, 2012 10:19a

Boston College is going to be wearing a new style of Bauer helmet today. #frozenfour

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/ChrisDilks/status/187907433732112384

Old
04-05-2012, 10:28 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Good I hope it causes them to lose!

See you in NY in Saturday Chris!!

04-05-2012, 10:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Am I the only one who doesn't see a clear spot for Kreider on this current team?

04-05-2012, 10:40 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Hmm. About a month or so ago a bunch of players (including Kreider) switched to the 2012 Bauer React. The react is Bauer's version of the Messier helmet.

I wonder if it is just the entire team switching to that. Either way a helmet is not going to impact anyone's game at all.

04-05-2012, 10:45 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see a clear spot for Kreider on this current team?
There is no chance he is immediately slotted in if that's what you mean, in my opinion. Definitely needed in case of injury callup however (who's left at this point? Newbury? Deveaux?). If he does well in practice and the team struggles maybe he comes in for Mitchell.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:52 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
There is no chance he is immediately slotted in if that's what you mean, in my opinion. Definitely needed in case of injury callup however (who's left at this point? Newbury? Deveaux?). If he does well in practice and the team struggles maybe he comes in for Mitchell.
There is no way he is worse than Mitchell, so I would just give him Mitchell's spot.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:53 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
If he signs by Sat I can see him playing for someone they might want to rest. Doubt he sees any playoff time, barring injuries.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
No, not at all… I don’t believe that Coach Tortorella would throw him into the lineup unless there is an injury (God forbid) to our current group of forwards. Even if that is the case, I cannot see him getting significant minutes in this lineup during the playoffs. And with the way that Torts manages his bench, he would not see much ice in the 3rd period of a tied playoff game, not yet at least... He'd probably be dressed before John Scott, but he'd be getting 6 or 7 minutes on the 3rd/4th line until he earns Tortorella's trust.

If we were talking about the regular season, I'd see Kreider (as a rookie) getting acclimated to the NHL on the 3rd line over Fedotenko right now, but I truly believe that Feds has a playoff warrior mentality and will be a nice asset to us once the playoffs begin. Injuries aside, this isn't the time to throw rookies in and change the dynamic.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I know the BC game is on tonight, but at 4:30 pm Union College plays.

I know one of the players, Max Novak. Good luck to him.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Hmm..... Make a list of the pros and cons of signing with the Rangers....

Pros:

-top team in the NHL, cup contender
-first class organization with deep pockets when it comes to signing players
-original 6 franchise with storied history and strong fan base
-former teammate & friend already on the team to help transition (Derek Stepan)
-hockey location only a couple hours from his hometown which would make for an easy commute (by car) back home to visit his friends and family and vice versa for them to visit him

Cons:

?

Cons: Not the Bruins

Old
04-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I correctly predicted Hagelin's first NHL goal.

Now it's time for another prediction.

Kreider is going to play for the Rangers this year, and he's going to absolutely ignite Derek Stepan.

Kreider Stepan Callahan is going to light it up in the playoffs.

WE WANT THE CUP.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
There is no way he is worse than Mitchell, so I would just give him Mitchell's spot.
If this was a month ago I'd 100% agree. I just don't see Torts immediately giving him anyone's spot at this point of the season. A "go with what got you here" type of mentality.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
NYR Viper

If Kreider signs, they will play him. They won't let him just sit around for the rest of the season. If that was the case, they would have him play in Hartford.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

I think it depends on if BC loses tomorrow. If Torts can see him play the final regular season game (especially since its against the team were most likely playing in the first round), then I think he'll impress and stick for the playoffs. But like other posters have said, I just can't see Torts throwing him into the fire in the playoffs over a guy who's been with the team all year.

Closed Thread