HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate Fit Problems

Old
04-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
Skate Fit Problems

Alright so I have a really odd shaped foot apparently... I'm pretty sure it's normal around the forefoot area, but my heel is SUPER narrow and very boney or "pronounced". When I first started playing a year ago I got a pair of Bauer Vapor X30's and they were alright at first. The problem was that as soon as they broke in, my heel started slipping and lifting so much that it affected my balance. Skating with a slipping heel isn't the most fun thing in the world, and I consider myself a pretty good skater for only having done it for a year.

So (since my family owns a proshop/rink) I decided to trade those in and try out a pair of Easton S17 LE's (the black ones) because I noticed the padding around the ankle/heel seemed to offer a REALLY tight heel lock, which is what I needed. So I threw those on and they were amazing for like 2 months, but then the same thing happened. They fully broke-in and my heel started lifting. I'm still using them now because I don't really have any other options, but the skates are impacting my skating negatively. Every time I push off my toe I can feel my heel lift up and when I stop on my left foot I just feel unstable (beyond ability, you know?). It really pisses me off because I know how much faster/more controlled I would be if I had the right kind of fit and heel lock I need.

So my question is, what skates would fit the mold that I need? I've been looking into GRAFS and on their website they have a chart that shows all of the different kinds of fits they offer and they do have a skate for normal feet with a narrow heel and pronounced heels as well. They also offer options for instep, but I don't know if my instep is shallow or deep, i don't even know what an "instep" is.. lol. The problem with GRAFs is that my proshop doesn't have a deal with them (we don't sell their skates) so unless my dad can pull some strings, I would have to dish out the money for these skates, and they're expensive.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just looking for some help with this frustrating problem. Does anyone have any useful input on my issue here?

Fanned On It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
theFinn

How about the RBK's with the pump feature? I haven't tried them myself but my sons coach said they work quite well for locking the foot in place. They're pretty popular among the kids since parents tend to buy slightly large skates for the kids to grow into.

theFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
vapor11

Jealousy aside..

From my understanding Bauer and Easton are for the narrow foot so could be the way you lace your skates or just a small tip I always undo the top few eyelets when taking my skates off so that I am not putting extra pressure on the padding and messing up my "grove"

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:03 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFinn View Post
How about the RBK's with the pump feature? I haven't tried them myself but my sons coach said they work quite well for locking the foot in place. They're pretty popular among the kids since parents tend to buy slightly large skates for the kids to grow into.
anything reebok/ccm would be an absolute disaster for anyone with narrow heels...regardless of the pump. they have the widest heels on the market.

unfortunately, s17's probably have one of the narrowest heels on the market. graf g3's or g35's (or the 7 series counterpart of those two if price is an issue), have the narrowest heels in graf's lineup. if you weren't having any lacebite issues with your vapors or s17's, you likely have a shallow to moderate instep/depth.

another thing to consider is are you sure the length of the skate is right for you foot? if it's a bit too long, that could help add to your heel slippage problem. i know it's been written here before, but ideally you want your toes to be feathering the toecap. a good way to sort of screen for adequate length is to unlace the skates, push your foot forward in the skate until your toe(s) just touch the cap, lean/flex your leg forward and try to slide a #2 pencil straigt down behind your heel. if it fits in easily then the skate is likely too long.

finally, if everything else is right fit-wise, and you simply have too narrow of a heel for anything retail, then you could try stable 26 hockey socks with customizeable padding in the heel. they're pretty steep, but considerably cheaper than going full custom on the skates.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
AIREAYE

Excellent points by thedonger. Reebok and CCM skates should be out of the equation. The Pump doesn't lock in your heel, it pushes IN to the ankles to hold it there and it wouldn't work with your foot type.

Kessel, read my skate guide about Bauer and Easton to see why they're not for 'narrow' feet.

Santini, have you ever tried Bauer Flexlite?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:56 PM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post

Kessel, read my skate guide about Bauer and Easton to see why they're not for 'narrow' feet.
I have brushed thru it in the past..I don't see much in the guide to say otherwise but my mistake I ment the Vapor is regarded as a narrow fitting skate..I have also seen the Eastons called "narrow" specifically the s17

I previously used Eastons and currently use a pair of Vapors and I have narrow feet..Should I be in the flexlites then?

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:09 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
I have brushed thru it in the past..I don't see much in the guide to say otherwise but my mistake I ment the Vapor is regarded as a narrow fitting skate..I have also seen the Eastons called "narrow" specifically the s17

I previously used Eastons and currently use a pair of Vapors and I have narrow feet..Should I be in the flexlites then?
s17's are narrow in the heel only. they are actually quite wide in the forefoot. the reason for the flexlite recommendation is due to the fact that they actually run pretty narrow in the heel as well...narrower in the heel than even vapors...although they do run pretty wide everywhere else.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:56 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
s17's are narrow in the heel only. they are actually quite wide in the forefoot. the reason for the flexlite recommendation is due to the fact that they actually run pretty narrow in the heel as well...narrower in the heel than even vapors...although they do run pretty wide everywhere else.
Thank you, exactly. This was stated quite clearly in the guide if I'm not mistaken.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Stickmata

If you have a narrow and a pronounced heel, you should try the Graf 703 in a regular width. That skate will keep a very narrow heel locked down. If the forefoot is too tight, you can have it stretched. If the heel is still too wide, try it in a narrow width. The latter is a really, really narrow skate though.

I have difficult feet as well and I've been skating in a 703 and currently also testing out a 705.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:40 AM
Fanned On It

Thanks for the replies

@theFinn - Rbk's are too wide even with the pump.

@Kessel - All Bauers are great around the forefoot for me, but the heels are too wide. The first skate I tried was a Flexlie 4.0 and the forefoot was EXTREMELY wide on me, nevermind the heel.

@thedonger - Yeah, when I first got my S17s i was like "yes! finally a skate with narrow enough heels for me!" but like I said they broke in and that was that for them. I would really like to try the Grafs at some point, hopefully I can somehow get my shop to pull a pair for me. What exactly is lacebite? I never understood what people meant by that. I don't think I'm experiencing it in my S17s, although I really wouldn't know. As far as the length of the skate, my toes ARE indeed feathering the toe so I'm pretty sure the length is fine. Those "stable 26" socks sound interesting though, I'll have to look into them as a temporary fix. Funny, I've never heard of them before having worked in a proshop for the past 8 years.

@ AIREYE - Yes.. too wide all around.

@ Stickmata - Yeah that's what I really want to do. Might have to take a trip over to another store and see what they have.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Defer to AIR on these things, but I had two pairs of Vapors and had lots of heel slipping issues until I went Graf. I use G35 because my forefoot is wide. I was wearing Vapors in EE and still needed the boot stretched a bit on either side. But both EE and D Vapors were too big in the heel.

FWIW I was 7.5EE in Bauer and bought a used pair of 7.5D to try them, ended up with 8.0D in Graf and still stretched/punched up front.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:38 AM
forbs02
Blergh

If it is just an issue with your heel in all the skates, consider something like this. It might just take care of the problem.

http://www.stable26.com/

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:47 AM
AIREAYE

Thanks Jarick haha, but it seems like Graf is his next step, and that's out of my area.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those socks are pretty interesting. Ever used them? Do they move around?

For Graf, I believe the 705 ~ Vapor for fit (medium heel and width all around) while the 735 is similar but for a narrow and pronounced heel. They don't mention forefoot fit on their website but like I said, from personal experience, the 735 was similar to the Vapor but with a narrower heel that locked me in place.

Also the pitch and radius are different, so you might want to get them profiled back to neutral and at 9'. 11' and forward was so unnatural and my skating suffered until I had them fix it.

Last thing is they are a lower cut boot. I was skipping the top 1-2 eyelets in the Vapors and lace all the way up in Grafs.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Stickmata

BTW, one more thought, since I have a pair of both 703 regulars and the 705 narrows. IMO, the 705 in a regular width is slightly narrower in the heel than the Vapors and in a narrow it is much narrower. However, the 703 in a regular width has a narrower heel box than the 705 even in a narrow width. Also, the pronouncement on the heel in the 703 has a huge effect on locking the heel down if your heel is pronounced.

The two biggest differences between the 703 and the 705 are the impact of the pronounced heel box on the 703 and the 705 is wider in the forefoot. The 703, even in the regular width is a pretty narrow skate in the forefoot. I have narrow feet and I still had to have the 703 regulars stretched a fair bit.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think that's why the 735's are so popular among those with narrow heels. Front half of the 705, heel area of the 703.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
BTW, one more thought, since I have a pair of both 703 regulars and the 705 narrows. IMO, the 705 in a regular width is slightly narrower in the heel than the Vapors and in a narrow it is much narrower. However, the 703 in a regular width has a narrower heel box than the 705 even in a narrow width. Also, the pronouncement on the heel in the 703 has a huge effect on locking the heel down if your heel is pronounced.

The two biggest differences between the 703 and the 705 are the impact of the pronounced heel box on the 703 and the 705 is wider in the forefoot. The 703, even in the regular width is a pretty narrow skate in the forefoot. I have narrow feet and I still had to have the 703 regulars stretched a fair bit.
Yeah I have an extremely narrow and pronounced, boney heel. So I guess I'll check out the 703's first.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:54 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post

So (since my family owns a proshop/rink) .............

So, your family owns a rink/proshop and you have to come on a public forum to ask people for help fitting skates? Seems more than a bit odd. Must not be much of a pro shop if you are here asking, just keep buying skates till you find a pair that works.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:04 AM
hlaverty06

Sometimes the skate on my right foot hurts the center of my foot, what could cause that? My Left foot feels fine

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:42 AM
AIREAYE

What is 'center'? On the bottom (your arch)? On top (your instep)?

Old
04-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
So, your family owns a rink/proshop and you have to come on a public forum to ask people for help fitting skates? Seems more than a bit odd. Must not be much of a pro shop if you are here asking, just keep buying skates till you find a pair that works.
... I have more than an abnormal foot, and in all of my years of sizing people up and sending customers off satisfied, I've never come across someone with the same type of foot as me, so who would I ask about my problem? We sell mainly Bauers and Eastons at my shop and I've never really experienced GRAFs, so that was another reason for coming online and asking. As far as "instep" goes, we don't really go into detail with that when sizing people up. We offer them skates, they try them on, and we try to make sure they're the most comfortable/best fitting skate.

Last edited by Jarick: 04-09-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
... I have more than an abnormal foot, and in all of my years of sizing people up and sending customers off satisfied, I've never come across someone with the same type of foot as me, so who would I ask about my problem? We sell mainly Bauers and Eastons at my shop and I've never really experienced GRAFs, so that was another reason for coming online and asking. As far as "instep" goes, we don't really go into detail with that when sizing people up. We offer them skates, they try them on, and we try to make sure they're the most comfortable/best fitting skate.
Glad it was helpful. I know if my parents owned a pro shop and I couldn't fit myself with a brand they sell, the last thing I would do is buy and wear a brand we didn't sell, but I would be on the phone to my rep asking what can be done and getting a solution. But your approach to asking a question on a public forum when no one here can either see or diagnose your problem lends a lot of credibility to your story.

When I smell BS, I just call that way.

Last edited by Jarick: 04-09-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
AIREAYE

Instep is important, one cannot skate comfortable with a skate that is too shallow or too deep (very rarely too deep) because a shallow skate often results in lacebite and a compromise in protection.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think that's why the 735's are so popular among those with narrow heels. Front half of the 705, heel area of the 703.

Tried them but they just didn't fit my feet. Both the 703R and the 705N fit me better.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:52 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Since you are in NY, why not check out Westside skate or the pro shop @ City Ice? Both are Graf dealers and experts in fitting people.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote