Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time For Wild To Tank? No Thanks, Yeo Says

Old
04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Don't even get me started on Cullen. So many people were excited when we signed him. I wanted O.Jokinen so much more. Cause at leat that guy is actually a 2nd line center. And we could have signed him for less per year and less years. Unlike Bambi.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wanted Jokinen too but I don't think he was coming here for less money and term. I would have tried for $5m per for 4 years. Cullen is about as meh as a center gets.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Spurgeon has had a great knack for avoiding the hit. He simply oozes hockey sense and knows where to be when, and when to not be somewhere...

Is he a top pairing D-man? No, but he was forced into that role for us due to the ineptitude of the rest of the D. In the long run, he'll be a solid depth defenseman who won't ever be overly expensive to keep on the roster. A guy you can depend on in his own zone, and can help the offense on the rush etc.

I think everyone will be happier with him when he can settle into a middling role that he should be in once we get more real D-men on the team. Gilbert was just the first step in that direction.
Agree completely. Also he needs to gain some upper body strength so he can be a more effective defenseman.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd still like to see him shorten the stick a bit so he's more agile with the puck.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:47 PM
nickschultzfan

I'd like us to have a bottom-pairing of Spurgeon and Stoner for the next few years. But injuries always get in the way.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:50 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I'd like us to have a bottom-pairing of Spurgeon and Stoner for the next few years. But injuries always get in the way.
In 2010, Stoner was given a 2 year extension by Fletcher to prove he could "stay healthy".

His first year was a 1-way, his second year was a 2-way.

He didn't prove he could stay healthy. He's gone.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
if falk could figure his **** out on a consistent basis i think that a bottom of spurgeon and falk could be very good for us.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd still like to see him shorten the stick a bit so he's more agile with the puck.
He likely uses the stick he does for leverage in the defensive zone. Given his position, that should be the priority. Being a short as he is he already has a great disadvantage in terms of length, using a longer stick gives him a bit more reach.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I know that, I just think if he could shorten it up a few inches that might allow him to keep the puck in the offensive zone a little more and be able to do more with it at the point. Unless they're scratching him off the PP. He just can't do enough with the puck there to be effective.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I know that, I just think if he could shorten it up a few inches that might allow him to keep the puck in the offensive zone a little more and be able to do more with it at the point. Unless they're scratching him off the PP. He just can't do enough with the puck there to be effective.
I was going to agree with you there, but then I checked the stats; only Koivu has more PP assists (13) than Spurgeon's 10, which ties him with Heatley for 2nd on the team.

If he could learn to hold the zone better, I'd like him better as a point man option.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's got a lot of room to improve. At the point, which his stick length, he's not much of a threat to deke or make tight moves (like say Burns was). He can back up, pass, or shoot. Opposing players can play him tighter and limit his options. If he was a little more mobile with that puck, players would have to respect him and give a little more space, opening up his options.