HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Year End Top 20

Old
04-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Shabutie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Interesting list. I'm surprised by Beaulieu over Tinordi, Leblanc over Gallagher and Kristo and Bennett over Ellis.
I'm actually surprised he has Gallagher so high to be honest. I've never really seen Gallagher above Kristo. Most seem to doubt that he'll be able to translate to the NHL level because when he's played in the pre-season or in the WJCs, he had problems finishing. I see him as a Brad Marchand personally, but that's not a bad thing - I just think Kristo has more potential and is more of a lock for a top 6 role.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I'm actually surprised he has Gallagher so high to be honest. I've never really seen Gallagher above Kristo. Most seem to doubt that he'll be able to translate to the NHL level because when he's played in the pre-season or in the WJCs, he had problems finishing. I see him as a Brad Marchand personally, but that's not a bad thing - I just think Kristo has more potential and is more of a lock for a top 6 role.
A classy version of Marchand would be great.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Compared to every other team we're lacking a lot in prospects. Hopefully we'll have a good draft.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Nice list, montreal.

Surprised to see Gallagher in the top 3, ahead of Tinordi. Or at least at first, I was surprised. It makes sense though with the monster season he is having with Vancouver and how much he's matured over this past year. He's going to be a great, great player for the Habs after a season or two in Hamilton. What dropped Tinordi out of the top 3? Solely Gallagher's performance or was there something that Tinordi was lacking?

Also glad Delmas got an honorable mention here. I hope he gets more of a permanent role with Hamilton next year.
Thank, actually I moved Tinordi up, I had him at 5 behind Kristo going into this season since he struggled in the OHL last year. His play this year I moved up him one spot. Gallagher with back to back to back 40+ goal seasons in the dub is very impressive so for now I keep him higher depsite the concerns about his lack of height as his compete level is very high and he's willing to get his nose dirty which is a big key for me.

I really like the few games Delmas has played for the Dogs, he's got to be a regular in Hamilton next year imo.

Quote:
Interesting list. I'm surprised by Beaulieu over Tinordi, Leblanc over Gallagher and Kristo and Bennett over Ellis.
I think Beaulieu over Tinordi is a no brainer as he can do it all while Tinordi I see as just a stay at home type. Beaulieu needs to cut down on the mental mistakes in his own end but for such a skilled D, I can live with some mistakes as you cann't teach the offensive instincts he has.

Leblanc plays such a smart game and I put more stock in prospects doing well in the AHL vs prospects doing well in juniors. Clearly it's very close between them since they are neck and neck, so it could go either way.

Kristo needs to be more consistent, I doubt anyone around here has seen him more then me as I've seen him play a ton. His speed and hands are impressive and I think he's going to be a very good NHLer but I also have a few concerns about his game.

I am likely the biggest Bennett fan around, I think his upside is huge despite his lack of size as he's very good at both ends of the ice but his ability to rush the puck up ice with ease is something I think is a very good asset to have in the new NHL.

Ellis keeps moving up my rankings as I hadn't seen much of him in the past, next year i will have a much better feel for him after watching him with the Dogs night after night.

Quote:
I have had Kristo over Gallagher in the past but always considered them to be very close. I don't doubt Gallagher will be able to translate to the NHL despite his troubles finishing as I love his compete level and the fact that he will go to the net hard and do whatever it takes to score. I don't put any stock in NHL preseason good or bad, but we'll see how he adjusts to the pros next year. Kristo needs to be more consistent, get stronger and I don't think he is the smartest guy but I happen to like both a lot. I also don't see Gallagher as a Brad Marchand type.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd have Kristo ahead of Gallagher. I'd probably slot Louis Leblanc at 4th.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Habs

Quote:
Gallagher is consistent in his young career, and has played the preseason where he did great. He is miles ahead of Kristo in my mind.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:06 AM
HabsSlappy

Nice list OP. You have Bennett and Didier higher than I do, but perhaps that is because I don't see a lot of College games.

Here is my list.
Please note that certain players might not fit into their projection (like Pribyl as 4th liner) but I am just going off of my own scoring system to see where I think their talent will end up. So for example, Pribyl, unless he can tap his potential to exceed expectations, then I don't see him making the NHL as a 4th liner.

1 Leblanc 2nd Line F
2 Beaulieu #3 D - Potential to exceed expectations
3 Tinordi #3/4 D
4 Gallagher 2nd/3rd line F - Potential to exceed expectations
5 Kristo 2nd/3rd line F - Potential to exceed expectations
6 Palushaj 2nd/3rd line F
7 Ellis #4 D
8 Bournival 3rd Line F
9 Dietz #4/5 - Potential to exceed expectations
10 Holland 3rd Line F
11 Geoffrion 3rd Line F
12 Bennett #4/5 D - Potential to exceed expectations
13 Quailer 3rd Line F - Potential to exceed expectations
14 MacMillan 3rd Line F - Potential to exceed expectations
15 Avtsin 3rd Line F - Potential to exceed expectations
16 Nash #5/6 D
17 Pateryn #5/6 D
18 Nattinen 4th Line F
19 Schultz 4th Line F
20 Pribyl 4th Line F - Potential to exceed expectations
21 Didier #6/7 D - Potential to exceed expectations
22 Sullivan #6/7 D - Potential to exceed expectations

Last edited by HabsSlappy: 04-05-2012 at 10:16 AM.
HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Can anyone give me the link to montreal's site?

---------------

Quick notes regarding the list...

Darren Dietzand Mark MacMillan : anyone saw them play? I know their names but that's about it!

Steve Quailer: I had high hopes for Quailer but I did not hear much about him in the last year... did he reach a plateau or is he still progressing?

Daniel Pribyl: he is one of our most intriguing prospects imo. I was, mostly based on reports, somewhat surprised to see him fall to the 6th round at the draft. Too bad we did not have the chance to see him play, injury free, at the WJC.

Olivier Archambault: he showed great skills during the pre season games but based on reports I read, the kid seems to have attitude problems à la Éric Chouinard or Phill Kessel and Grabovski in their early days. Is he salvageable? In terms of raw talent, he is up there with the best of our prospects imo.

I was not a fan of Gauthier (Molson sure did the right thing when he fired him) but I liked him more than the majority of posters in here because, in part, of guys like Holland, Schultz, Eller and Bournival.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Can anyone give me the link to montreal's site?
Simply : http://www.habprospects.com

I'll let him or others who have watched the guys answer your other questions.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Simply : http://www.habprospects.com

I'll let him or others who have watched the guys answer your other questions.
Thanks

Old
04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Fozz

Great list.

Now, while I understand them not making the top-20, I believe that both Colin Sullivan and Dustin Walsh could surprise a lot a folks in the next few years.

Sullivan is such a fluid skater and has decent size. I can't wait to see him play against tougher competition.

Walsh has the size and offense. It's too bad he was injured because he was off to a great start this year. He needs to improve on his mobility and avoid injuries but I have no doubt that he would be close to the top 10 if he hadn't missed so much time.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
I think it's pretty consencus, i am not surprise.

Avtsyn need a miracle at this point to make it to the NHL.

Next year with Gallagher, Krysto, Niattinen, Bournival, Quailer, Holland, Conboy, maybe Palushaj, maybe Geoffrion and maybe Leblanc, all in the AHL, i don't see how he can make a name for himself, not even sure he's gonna finish the season in NA.

I hope he proves me wrong, but nothing indicates so.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:16 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
I have Bennett, Ellis, and Beaulieu over Tinordi.

That's why opinions are such awesome things.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Nice list OP. You have Bennett and Didier higher than I do, but perhaps that is because I don't see a lot of College games.
Thanks. I focus mostly on the AHL as I watch almost every Hamilton game every year. I also see a lot of NCAA games so my lists tend to have them higher then others.

Bennett I'm a huge fan of his game as he's a great skater/mobility, although his lack of size and strength is a concern, I hope the Habs don't rush him and let him develop properly. Very excited to see what he does in the future though.

Didier could easily be lower as he's still very raw and is likely a long term project, but at 18 he's already huge and will likely get bigger over the next few years. He seems to enjoy taking the body and he's playing at a great program so if he continues to progress steadily over the next couple years he could be a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Darren Dietzand Mark MacMillan : anyone saw them play? I know their names but that's about it!

Steve Quailer: I had high hopes for Quailer but I did not hear much about him in the last year... did he reach a plateau or is he still progressing?

Daniel Pribyl: he is one of our most intriguing prospects imo. I was, mostly based on reports, somewhat surprised to see him fall to the 6th round at the draft. Too bad we did not have the chance to see him play, injury free, at the WJC.

Olivier Archambault: he showed great skills during the pre season games but based on reports I read, the kid seems to have attitude problems à la Éric Chouinard or Phill Kessel and Grabovski in their early days. Is he salvageable? In terms of raw talent, he is up there with the best of our prospects imo.

I was not a fan of Gauthier (Molson sure did the right thing when he fired him) but I liked him more than the majority of posters in here because, in part, of guys like Holland, Schultz, Eller and Bournival.
Dietz I don't know as well as others I have only seen him play once. Looks like he's got a solid frame and I could see him filling out over the next few years, he's got some offensive upside after the season he just had and looks like he brings grit and sandpaper.

MacMillan I saw a lot this year, he's very skinny but fast, hard working and smart. I really like his playmaking ability, very good passer and vision. He plays on the PP and PK and saw time all year in the top 9. He's also at one of the top programs in the NCAA under a very good coach so if he continues to progress he's a legit prospect to keep an eye out for down the road.

Quailer I have seen a couple times since he was drafted, he has shown good improvement to date after struggling last season when he returned from missing an entire year. He's got good wheels for a kid that's 6'4 and hands but doesn't use his size that much from what i've seen. Can setup plays but can also put it in the back of the net as well. I could see him turning pro this summer.

Pribyl I only saw at the wjc's so it's hard to have a feel for him just yet. Seems to have good hands just needs to improve his mobility. Will be interesting to see what he can do once he comes over, which I assume will be in 2 years.

Archambault I have only seen once in the Q and during preseason with the Habs. I was really impressed with him for his debut in NHL preseason action, but i'm concerned about what I hear about him, lack of strength, defensive zone play, using his teammates better etc... He has another year in the Q to work on things before turning pro so we'll see where he's at in 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I have Bennett, Ellis, and Beaulieu over Tinordi
Why don't you like Tinordi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Avtsyn need a miracle at this point to make it to the NHL.

Next year with Gallagher, Krysto, Niattinen, Bournival, Quailer, Holland, Conboy, maybe Palushaj, maybe Geoffrion and maybe Leblanc, all in the AHL, i don't see how he can make a name for himself, not even sure he's gonna finish the season in NA.

I hope he proves me wrong, but nothing indicates so.
It's hard to guess just what they will do with Avtsin, as being benched at the end of his 2nd season really shows where he is at in terms of his development as he's been brutal for much of the season. That said though he has some skills and you hate to lose him only to see him put it all together down the road. Since he's under contract for 2 more seasons, we'll see what the Habs can do to help him translate his skills into more production. I don't think Palushaj will be back in Hamilton, same for Engqvist but either way it's likely going to be very crowded next season so ice time is going to be harder to come by unless injuries hit hard again, so if he struggles to produce again then he may end up in the press box more often.

I did a little write up on what is shaping up to be the best rookie class Hamilton has ever had.

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=181

Old
04-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Felix Perreault

1. Jarred Tinordi
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Nathan Beaulieu
4. Brendan Gallagher
5. Danny Kristo
6. Mac Bennett
7. Morgan Ellis
8. Michael Bournival
9. Aaron Palushaj
10. Patrick Holland
11. Joonas Nattinen
12. Alexander Avtsin
13. Gabriel Dumont
14. Patrick Holland
15. Daniel Pribyl

We will had some prospect in the next two years with all the picks we have !!

Felix Perreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I am not surprised to see NB over Tinner, he is the clear cut #1 prospect in my eyes. That said, I'd have:

1.Beaulieu
2.Tinordi
3.Gallagher
4.Leblanc
5.Kristo
6.Ellis
7.Bennett
8.Dietz
9.Bournival
10.Holland

I don't know or follow enough of the rest to accurately rank them. I feel rather strongly about 4-5 of these players being sure-fire NHL players in some capacity or another.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:40 PM
HCH

I don't ever see Louis Leblanc being an impact player in the NHL but hopefully I am completely off base. He has hockey smarts but for a guy with a slight build he has neither breakaway speed nor nifty moves.

Not to say he won't become a solid NHL player but at the moment he looks like a third line player to me. He won't be a guy you build a franchise around

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:57 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Why don't you like Tinordi?
Maybe because I see him more than any of the other prospects I see a lot more mistakes, but there is just something off that doesn't sit well with me. He's gotten a lot better this year (last year I was disgusted with the pick after watching him) but I still think he's got along way to go.

However, ranking him behind those three isn't really a slap in the face. I think all three of those guys can become all around good defenseman where Tinordi will never have much of an offensive game.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 04-05-2012 at 09:56 PM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:55 PM
mytor4*

Beaulieu definetly belongs in the top spot.Watched him play with the Dogs again this season and he 's put on weight and has improved immensly. He will make the team next season.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil11 View Post
10. Patrick Holland
11. Joonas Nattinen
12. Alexander Avtsin
13. Gabriel Dumont
14. Patrick Holland
you have holland twice, I know he had a good season and all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I don't ever see Louis Leblanc being an impact player in the NHL but hopefully I am completely off base. He has hockey smarts but for a guy with a slight build he has neither breakaway speed nor nifty moves.

Not to say he won't become a solid NHL player but at the moment he looks like a third line player to me. He won't be a guy you build a franchise around
Leblanc was doing great in Hamilton at the start of the season, it's too bad the Habs had to put him on the yo-yo plan but we'll see how it impacts his development. Things weren't looking very good for Pacioretty after his first season in the NHL after an impressive showing in the AHL before getting called up too soon, not trying to compare the two but with Leblanc the kid has been a top scorer everywhere he's played despite not being overly strong, or quick. I really like his smarts but we'll see if it's enough to consistently put points on the board down the road (say 4-5 years). If not then he should be a solid 3rd liner at least because he works hard, is smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Maybe because I see him more than any of the other prospects I see a lot more mistakes, but there is just something off that doesn't sit well with me. He's gotten a lot better this year (last year I was disgusted with the pick after watching him) but I still think he's got along way to go.

However, ranking him behind those three isn't really a slap in the face. I think all three of those guys can become all around good defenseman where Tinordi will never have much of an offensive game.
I haven't seen a lot of him yet so I'm looking forward to seeing him take regular shifts with the Dogs next year, in the few times i've seen him I like what i've seen for the most part but I hope the Habs take it slow with him and give him proper time to develop in Hamilton. I don't see him having much of an offensive game either, I think he'll be a solid D in time for us but just how good we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Beaulieu definetly belongs in the top spot.Watched him play with the Dogs again this season and he 's put on weight and has improved immensly. He will make the team next season.
I could see him getting in some games with the Habs next year but like Tinordi I hope they don't rush him and give him time in the AHL especially if we have a similiar team next year.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:24 AM
baldrick

Illustrates the need for a first line forward prospect.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post

(...)

Dietz I don't know as well as others I have only seen him play once. Looks like he's got a solid frame and I could see him filling out over the next few years, he's got some offensive upside after the season he just had and looks like he brings grit and sandpaper.

MacMillan I saw a lot this year, he's very skinny but fast, hard working and smart. I really like his playmaking ability, very good passer and vision. He plays on the PP and PK and saw time all year in the top 9. He's also at one of the top programs in the NCAA under a very good coach so if he continues to progress he's a legit prospect to keep an eye out for down the road.

Quailer I have seen a couple times since he was drafted, he has shown good improvement to date after struggling last season when he returned from missing an entire year. He's got good wheels for a kid that's 6'4 and hands but doesn't use his size that much from what i've seen. Can setup plays but can also put it in the back of the net as well. I could see him turning pro this summer.

Pribyl I only saw at the wjc's so it's hard to have a feel for him just yet. Seems to have good hands just needs to improve his mobility. Will be interesting to see what he can do once he comes over, which I assume will be in 2 years.

Archambault I have only seen once in the Q and during preseason with the Habs. I was really impressed with him for his debut in NHL preseason action, but i'm concerned about what I hear about him, lack of strength, defensive zone play, using his teammates better etc... He has another year in the Q to work on things before turning pro so we'll see where he's at in 2 years.

(...)
Thanks.

About Dietz...

I tried to garner information about Darren Dietz and I must say that his HF Player's Profile is impressive!

"... Talent Analysis

A right handed shot, Dietz is not afraid to support the offense, and makes a smart first pass. He keeps active on the ice, willingly engaging the opposition with physical play. With prototypical size for an NHL backliner, Dietz is also willing to mix things up when the situation warrants and can make things difficult for opposing forwards
..."

Ref.: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/darren_dietz

Here is his interview (nothing extraordinary but he seems to be a smart and level headed young man) with mckeenshockey: http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1240228

He describes himself as a stay at home D but it seems that he knows when to sneak in the slot:

I see some Kostopoulos (!) in him: