HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2012, 07:08 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 500
The 2012 NHL Draft Thread

It's still a bit early with 2 games left but it looks like we're going to be picking at around #9 and #25 (Detroit's pick) in the first round this year.

List of draft picks owned as of now: http://prosportstransactions.com/hoc...Years/2012.htm

We have:

1st round: 2 picks - Tampa's and Detroit's pick
2nd round: 3 picks (possibly 4) - Tampa's, Minnesota's and Philadelphia's + Florida's in 2012 or 2013
3rd to 6th round: 1 pick each - Tampa's
7th round: none (traded to San Jose)

NHL.com Draft Center: http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm...on=/draft/2012
TSN Draft Centre: http://tsn.ca/draftcentre/

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 04-12-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old
04-05-2012, 08:23 AM
bassassin

21st Winnipeg 83 points 80GP 2 remaining vs NYI and TBL max points 87
22nd Tampa 81 points 80GP 2 remaining vs TOR and WPG max points 85
23rd Carolina 80 points 80GP 2 remaining vs MTL and FLA max points 84
24th Minnesota 79 points 80GP 2 remaining vs CHI and PHX max points 83
25th Anaheim 78 points 80GP 2 remaining vs EDM and CGY max points 82
26th Toronto 78 points 80GP 2 remaining vs TBL and MTL max points 82

We could tie with NYI on points as they are 4 points back with 2 games to go, but due to ROW we would still be ahead.

As the teams below us don't play each other Tampa are in control of their fate, how many if any of the 2 remaining they win will probably decided our pick, as only if we beat WPG we will likely finish higher than them.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
JFleegs

if we keep both picks...

Rielly Murray Trouba

Vasilevski Subban Dansk

Old
04-05-2012, 10:37 AM
I Am Beat You

I'd be surprised if Rielly and Trouba are around at 9. Reinhart may be available and in my opinion that's a solid pick. Depending on what Detroit's 1st ends up being, I'd like to see us grab Koekkoek, Maata or Thrower if any are available. I think we'll grab a goalie with one of our 2nd rounders. With all that said, I'd be a little surprised if we end up keeping all of these early picks.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:38 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
I'd be surprised if Rielly and Trouba are around at 9. Reinhart may be available and in my opinion that's a solid pick. Depending on what Detroit's 1st ends up being, I'd like to see us grab Koekkoek, Maata or Thrower if any are available. I think we'll grab a goalie with one of our 2nd rounders. With all that said, I'd be a little surprised if we end up keeping all of these early picks.
I do agree but if Vasilevski is on the board when we pick later in the first you have to take him. Then spend another second on grabbing another goalie as insurance.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Reinhart and Vasilievski if we still had the pick (I think it will be traded), would be two good picks

Old
04-05-2012, 12:22 PM
The Yzerplan
Not enough goalies

Määttä would be a great fit for us. All around good Defensive D who can play on all situations. Doesn't throw much big hits but positions himself well, and uses his body well physically. Very smart player and confident in himself.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
I do agree but if Vasilevski is on the board when we pick later in the first you have to take him. Then spend another second on grabbing another goalie as insurance.
Taking a goalie in each of the first two rounds seems unlikely. Depending on where Detroit's 1st ends up I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a goalie with that pick though.

Old
04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
HoseEmDown

We need to win the lottery so we can get up to 5 and get either Dumba/Murray they are the most ready and safest. We shouldn't draft a goalie before the 5th round, non of the goalies are elite, won't be ready for at least 3 years and we have awful success with goalies. We be better off signing a UFA. Det 1st if not traded should take BPA.

Old
04-05-2012, 01:18 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

How does the draft even work? It's a lottery? So there's a like .00001 percent chance we could get the first pick?

Old
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wiserman View Post
How does the draft even work? It's a lottery? So there's a like .00001 percent chance we could get the first pick?
Quote:
At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has a 25% chance of winning the lottery, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team. A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team improving its draft position by up to four places, and no team dropping more than one place. Therefore, only the 26th through 30th place teams are eligible to receive the first overall draft pick. Consequently, the 30th place team's chance of retaining the first overall pick improves to 48.2%. The order in the remaining rounds is unaffected by the lottery and is based on regular season standings.

The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Ent..._Draft_lottery

Old
04-05-2012, 01:43 PM
HoseEmDown

We can't get the first unless we lose both games and everyone behind us wins then we finish 5th and win the lottery. Best we can do now is 5th. But we probably will win 1 of the last 2 and finish 9th not win the lottery and draft Reilly.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:12 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'd have no issues getting Subban with one of our seconds, if we have it. I'd prefer a skater though, I think the draft is deeper than every clown on HF thinks. Some good defenders and two way forwards.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:27 PM
bassassin

I don't care if Vasilevski is on the board with our 1st I don't want to see us grab a goalie in the 1st. What we lack is impact dmen, outside the top 40 or so picks how often do you see impact dmen, yet how often do you see impact goalies outside of that range!

If he is there with one of our 2nds like Minnesotas or ours fine. But don't want us to take a goalie that early especially when Tic and Janus are looking so good and just need some seasoning.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

I would be ecstatic with Reinhart, Thrower and Subban as our first three picks assuming we keep them which I strongly doubt.

Even if we move Detroit's first I would be in favor of moving up and selecting Thrower.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:44 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I wouldn't say they're looking so good, but they're coming around. They're still a few years away though.

An idea i've been playing with in my head has been potentially moving our first along with a roster player for a goaltender and defenseman (if available, looking at you, LA) and then taking the DET first, and one of our seconds to try to move up towards the 14-15 range and take Olli Maatta, who I think will end up being a fantastic defenseman. This could potentially happen with the sharks, who we could hand a second back to.

At that point we could potentially have a goaltender and a roster defenseman while opening a spot for Conacher, Killorn and would still give us a very, very solid defender in Maatta, while having two second rounders.

Old
04-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I wouldn't say they're looking so good, but they're coming around. They're still a few years away though.

An idea i've been playing with in my head has been potentially moving our first along with a roster player for a goaltender and defenseman (if available, looking at you, LA) and then taking the DET first, and one of our seconds to try to move up towards the 14-15 range and take Olli Maatta, who I think will end up being a fantastic defenseman. This could potentially happen with the sharks, who we could hand a second back to.

At that point we could potentially have a goaltender and a roster defenseman while opening a spot for Conacher, Killorn and would still give us a very, very solid defender in Maatta, while having two second rounders.
Which defenseman are you thinking?

Old
04-05-2012, 05:06 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:

Wait, you want to move our own first for Bernier? Seriously? I wouldn't even move our first for Schneider.

Old
04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Wait, you want to move our own first for Bernier? Seriously? I wouldn't even move our first for Schneider.
If he comes with a top four defenseman, yes, i'd consider it.

Quote:
Which defenseman are you thinking?
Olli Maatta.

Oh, and just randomly read for kicks - Miles Koules (yep) has verbally committed to the University of North Dakota after working with the USNTDP.

Last edited by The Fear Boners: 04-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old
04-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:

Olli Maatta.

Oh, and just randomly read for kicks - Miles Koules (yep) has verbally committed to the University of North Dakota after working with the USNTDP.
What Kings defenseman are you thinking? Martinez? Would they move Greene?

Old
04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho Labrie View Post
What Kings defenseman are you thinking? Martinez? Would they move Greene?
Oh oh. Voynov, then Martinez in that order. If its Martinez, we're giving up less - his health issues hold him back and he hasn't played a full season since he finished college while being less of a workhorse than Voynov. He seems to be more of a fringe top four.

Voynov is slightly more raw but handles more of a workload and frankly, already does it better and flashier. He will be a solid second pairing d-man, with potential to see time on the first.

Issue with LA though, is that they're going to want a roster scorer back.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I Am Beat You

I think I'd rather keep our 1st.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:42 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'd have to think long and hard but i'd probably say the same.

Old
04-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Oh oh. Voynov, then Martinez in that order. If its Martinez, we're giving up less - his health issues hold him back and he hasn't played a full season since he finished college while being less of a workhorse than Voynov. He seems to be more of a fringe top four.

Voynov is slightly more raw but handles more of a workload and frankly, already does it better and flashier. He will be a solid second pairing d-man, with potential to see time on the first.

Issue with LA though, is that they're going to want a roster scorer back.
Voynov would be good... I like him, good potential, will be a very good defense-man... I'm not sold on Bernier though

Old
04-05-2012, 10:25 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:

Olli Maatta.

Im just not sold on Bernier. The guy has loads of potential no doubt, but I havent seen enough of him to judge really.

Im not 100% sold on Schneider either but if we are making a move and those are the options, Id rather go Schneider.

I wouldnt hate moving our first and something middle value for say Schneider and Tanev?

Closed Thread