HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
therealdeal

vCash: 500
Good start so far for the US, hopefully this year is a better year for you boys.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Any coaching staff named?
None yet but Kevin Allen of USA Today - the best connected reporter for this tournament in USA Hockey circles - believes Scott Gordon will be the coach.

04-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
None yet but Kevin Allen of USA Today - the best connected reporter for this tournament in USA Hockey circles - believes Scott Gordon will be the coach.
Really? Again? Getting boring?

Old
04-04-2012, 03:22 AM
afrobomber11

you guys will be fine with montoya in net, hes played really good the last couple years, nice to see a hot prospect actually pan out, hasnt been a whole hell of alot lately

additionally your list may have to scratch petry, hes dealing with an injury now and taylor chorney should be in ahl playoffs if im not mistaken

Old
04-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Darby Hendricksson
Rookie User

Do you think Brandon Bochenski from KHL will get an invitation, as if so, will he accept? Must be a more productive player than Steckel, Crabb and other low producing NHL:ers

Old
04-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby Hendricksson View Post
Do you think Brandon Bochenski from KHL will get an invitation, as if so, will he accept? Must be a more productive player than Steckel, Crabb and other low producing NHL:ers
.....I hope it doesn't get to that point this year. I'm actually optimistic we can ice a good group of forwards/defense. Still worried about the goaltending, but hopefully Montoya (or whoever) can hold down the fort.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:18 PM
William H Bonney

According to Jim Rutherford (Carolina GM), they've contacted them about 5 players for the tournament. I'd guess they've inquired about Gleason, McBain, Faulk, LaRose, and Boucher. According to him no decisions have been made yet.

Team USA has also contacted Winnipeg about players as well but nothing formal yet.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-04-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
William H Bonney

Jack Johnson quotes:

Quote:
Thats my job, he said.

Its what I do. Im a hockey player and I want to keep playing. If we were in the playoffs, wed be playing at that time anyway. Without it, its an incredibly long summer.

Oh, and surprise surprise:

Quote:
American left wing R.J. Umberger will not participate because of family commitments.

American defenseman James Wisniewski said he will sit out to focus on preparing for next season after an injury-hampered first season with the Blue Jackets.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...d-tourney.html

If I had my way, Umberger would never be considered for Team USA again. Or he could at least shut up about ever playing in the Olympics. Not happening.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

sadly no Erik Cole!

Erik said he needs to take time off to heal from all the bumps and bruises...which sucks because even as an older player it would be huge to get him and Max together for this team. Hopefully Pacioretty still comes on board without Cole.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...inting-season/

Old
04-04-2012, 08:42 PM
William H Bonney

Cole's the first disappointing declined invite to see. He would have been a big part of this team. That said, he's always been in good standing with Team USA and since he appears to have returned to pre-injury Cole anyway, he'll be in the running for the Olympic team as is. Would have been nice to have him though.

Still plenty of offensive talent available though. I think Wheeler and Pacioretty both go and if Kessel signs on as well, that's a pretty good 4 forwards to start with along with Ryan.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Cole's the first disappointing declined invite to see. He would have been a big part of this team. That said, he's always been in good standing with Team USA and since he appears to have returned to pre-injury Cole anyway, he'll be in the running for the Olympic team as is. Would have been nice to have him though.

Still plenty of offensive talent available though. I think Wheeler and Pacioretty both go and if Kessel signs on as well, that's a pretty good 4 forwards to start with along with Ryan.
The U.S. brass really needs to key in on the kids without many family responsibilities. The good news this year is there are several players of that ilk that actually have talent!

Old
04-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
According to Jim Rutherford (Carolina GM), they've contacted them about 5 players for the tournament. I'd guess they've inquired about Gleason, McBain, Faulk, LaRose, and Boucher. According to him no decisions have been made yet.

Team USA has also contacted Winnipeg about players as well but nothing formal yet.
You could almost build a team from Carolina and Winnipeg. I'd love to see Wheeler, Bogosian, and Stuart go from Winnipeg. Wouldn't mind seeing Slater on the 4th line either. Stapleton might be another consideration.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Here's a Winnipeg Free Press article on potential players for the U.S. team:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...146060235.html

I'd love to see Wheeler and Bogosian for sure. I'd also love to see them leave a spot for Byfuglien in the hope that a bit of rest will change his mind.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

I get more and more respect for Jack Johnson each year. You can really tell from both his comments and his actions that he is a guy that really loves playing hockey and is genuinely honoured that he is given the opportunity to represent his nation. Hockey needs more guys like him.

I hope the US can assemble a good team this year, would love it if we ended up facing you in the final!

A real shame that Cole has declined, would have loved seeing him and MaxPac bring their chemistry to Europe.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:02 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
I get more and more respect for Jack Johnson each year. You can really tell from both his comments and his actions that he is a guy that really loves playing hockey and is genuinely honoured that he is given the opportunity to represent his nation. Hockey needs more guys like him.

I hope the US can assemble a good team this year, would love it if we ended up facing you in the final!

A real shame that Cole has declined, would have loved seeing him and MaxPac bring their chemistry to Europe.
if you want to read up some more on Jack Johnson, just check his blog out...wanna talk about bleeding red, white, and blue??? every drop of his blog is about USA Hockey and pictures of representing his nation.

who else has a blog with their NHL team (Columbus Blue Jackets) and USA defenseman in the title!!

here is a quote from Jack's blog

October 12th, 2011... I said it before that hockey has taken me places and allowed me to experience things I never would have thought possible and yesterday I was honored to visit the United States Naval Academy. It gave me a chance to thank everyone there for what they have done for our country. I'm so proud to put on the red, white, and blue whenever I have a chance and will always represent my country because of the sacrifices our military makes every day. I'm so proud to be an American and I was humbled to meet some members of the U.S. Navy. It is an experience I will never forget and I really don't have words to describe how amazing it was to be there. I'm still in awe and feel so privileged to have been there.

how can you not love this guy? it sends chills down my spine to know that there still is a millionare athlete out there that values things and believes in representing your country as an honor and not some catchy quote. this guy PROVES it every chance he can.

and here is his bottom of homepage quote -- " As always...GO USA...GO BLUE...GO JACKETS..." see who he has first on that list?

Love ya Jack Mother ****ing Johnson!!

link to his amazing blog

http://jackjohnson3.com/index.html

Old
04-04-2012, 11:11 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I dont have a link, but I just heard on the NHL Network that Wheeler is playing for team USA as well....nothing said about Bogosian, Buff, Slater, Stuart, Hainsey, Stapleton, etc... just said Wheeler is on board for the Americans..

if the first 3 players named for this squad are Bobby Ryan, Jack Johnson, and Blake Wheeler....then call me the most excited I have been in some time...others will follow if this is our starting point.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:36 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Nothing official yet but Ive heard some talks about it, Fowler said. Ive been in touch with a few people. ld love to play if I got the opportunity.

It was a lot of fun last year. Im sure itd be a great time again.
http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/04/...1/#more-109281

This was noted earlier but you'd have to assume Fowler is going to be offered and thus will be on the team.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Shaping up to be a very young team, which is fine IMO-especially when the youth is talent-laden. I'd like to see a good veteran presence up front (Ryan Malone?) and on the backend (Tim Gleason/John-Michael Liles?) though.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

I saw this little blurb about Pacioretty (a couple of weeks old) and playing for the U.S.:http://www.cjad.com/Blog/HabsNews/bl...tryID=10362010

Assuming his feelings don't change I expect him to get the call.

Edit-this article also suggests he'll be there: http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...MontrealSports

Old
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
William H Bonney

According to Kevin Allen, the following are going to be on the team: Pacioretty, Okposo, Ryan, Nate Thompson, Cam Atkinson, Pat Dwyer, Johnson, Faulk, Fowler, and Jeff Petry will all be in. Atkinson may be out for AHL playoffs though.

They're also hopeful for Bogosian and Wheeler.

Toronto assistants Gordon and Cronin to lead staff.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...tes/54046568/1

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-05-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old
04-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Shaping up to be a pretty decent team for once. Young, so I hope there is some kind of a veteran presence.

Old
04-05-2012, 05:14 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
According to Kevin Allen, the following are going to be on the team: Pacioretty, Okposo, Ryan, Nate Thompson, Cam Atkinson, Pat Dwyer, Johnson, Faulk, Fowler, and Jeff Petry will all be in. Atkinson may be out for AHL playoffs though.

They're also hopeful for Bogosian and Wheeler.

Toronto assistants Gordon and Cronin to lead staff.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...tes/54046568/1
This is encouraging. Good combination of quality young players and veterans who don't suck. Now if only they can get one of these guys to play goal.

I'm with whomever said this should be the end of Umberger's USA career. Good riddance, ingrate. Maybe you can get Austrian citizenship and petition the IIHF to let you play for them.

Is it a coincidence that Jack Johnson got traded to the Blue Jackets, whose colors are red, white, and blue?

Last edited by PaulieVegas: 04-05-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: I'm a bad speller
Old
04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

we are going to have some strong wingers...but who the heck is going to center these guys?? I hope the Sharks bow out so Pavelski can come!!

also, do we really need to name Nate Thompson and Pat Dwyer already? I hate when they do that so early with 4th line guys..

Old
04-05-2012, 05:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

If Avs get eliminated, (hopefully no) I doubt EJ will accept. He's been battling back injures the last few months and the rumour is it's pretty severe.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
we are going to have some strong wingers...but who the heck is going to center these guys?? I hope the Sharks bow out so Pavelski can come!!

also, do we really need to name Nate Thompson and Pat Dwyer already? I hate when they do that so early with 4th line guys..
USA Hockey has to hedge their bets a little bit. I have no problem with guys like Thompson and Dwyer on the 4th line. Lets just hope they stay there........

Closed Thread