HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2012, 4th overall, New York Islanders)

Old
02-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Neatman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Behind Murray. Right there with Dumba for 2nd out of WHL eligible guys for me.

Not sure how guys like Trouba and Ceci fight into that group, personally speaking.

My WHL ranks are as follows:

Murray
Dumba/Reinhart
Reinhart/Dumba
Rielly
Pouliot
Thanks, it's going to be an interesting draft for the Oilers for sure

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 02:54 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Bump

Why so little talk about this prospect?

Tyler Myers v.2 ?

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Yashin for President

Griffen Reinhart

Never seen him play but the way people talk about him is making me think he is similar to Ty Wishart his draft year. Can anyone tell me about him and what his potential is? Thanks.

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Griffin Reinhart
LD | 6'4 / 207
24-Jan-94 West Vancouver, British Columbia

TSN Grant McCagg says:

Son of former NHL defenceman Paul Reinhart and brother of fellow WHLers Sam and Max. Has reached the 50-point mark in his WHL career before the age of 18, a rare feat for a 6-4 WHL defenceman.

Strengths: Very few 6-4 blueliners can skate and handle the puck like Reinhart, and those attributes alone will intrigue lots of scouts. Has a hard point shot that often finds its mark, good passing skills.

Weaknesses: Does not always play with an abundance of passion and drive. Could be more assertive physically, and more consistent in his effort.

NHL upside: Has been compared by some scouts to Dougie Hamilton. Has the size, skill and skating ability to be a top two NHL defenceman.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 03-28-2012 at 05:25 PM.
JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 05:47 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Much higher than that.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Subway

Ed Jovo Prime

Subway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:12 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 190
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=792262&page=6

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:16 PM
jfb392

TSN recently did a feature on him.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

probably the best dman in this draft imho .. at worst #3-4

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:49 PM
puckfan13

I've seen this guy over 20 times live and I always come away a little bugged about his lack of aggression for a 6'4" guy but he offers too many tools and too much poise not to gamble on. My friend who comes to games with me can't stand his passive nature. Unbelievable skater for his size who rarely panics with the puck always makes good simple plays, couple that with good offensive instincts. He will be able to play on an NHL powerplay one day.

However, the lack of aggression for being such a big guy honestly scares me a bit - I like to see d-men being physical, nasty, mean and competitive. Sadly, this is a bit stereotypical and narrow-minded on my part. Maybe it's because he's Canadian I expect that from him. His temperament is actually very reminiscent of a Swedish player and I really don't want to hold it against him but it never fails to bug me just a little. Sometimes when the game comes this easy to a guy he might not have the right passion level. I remember watching Cam Barker in junior and it was always as if he was so relaxed out there and now in Edmonton it just looks like he's braindead.

In my opinion, his floor to ceiling is one of the widest ranging I can think of for these top tier d-men.

Downside: Ty Wishart
Most likely potential: Braydon Coburn
Upside: Tyler Myers

These kids are only 17 you have to remember, you never know if/when they're gonna figure it out. I'm not holding his temperament against him because he has an unbelievable package of skills, but I'm not completely shutting down the notion it could affect him in the future. One thing I buy into is his pedigree, he has his dad to talk to about being a pro and he's been groomed since he was 5 or 6 years old to play in the NHL.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:55 AM
catters078

Is Bouwmeester a good comparison?

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:34 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
Is Bouwmeester a good comparison?
No, not really. Mostly because Reinhart's skating has been considered somewhat of a problem (especially early this year) while Jay-Bo is an elite skater.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Reinhart is more physical than Jbo.

He isnt the passive creampuff that some may portray, but on many nights he does leave you wanting in the physical dept.

He is a good all round player, I would say his offensive game is probably better than his defensive game. He sometimes is caught flat footed and/or standing around watching in his own end.

He is a level below Dumba/Murray imo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:48 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Reinhart is more physical than Jbo.

He isnt the passive creampuff that some may portray, but on many nights he does leave you wanting in the physical dept.

He is a good all round player, I would say his offensive game is probably better than his defensive game. He sometimes is caught flat footed and/or standing around watching in his own end.

He is a level below Dumba/Murray imo.
Well that's good news because Stu MacGregor may be very interested in Reinhart:
Rumour has it the Oilers are quite interested in Reinhart. It wouldn't shock me to see them move down a couple of spots. If I had the second pick and I was Edmonton's head scout I'd take Dumba.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:47 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Well that's good news because Stu MacGregor may be very interested in Reinhart:
Rumour has it the Oilers are quite interested in Reinhart. It wouldn't shock me to see them move down a couple of spots. If I had the second pick and I was Edmonton's head scout I'd take Dumba.
I would take Dumba too.

It would have to be a pretty good package to trade down and take Reinhart. I dont see it tbh, but thanks for that tidbit.

Its hard not to look at Reinhart out there without thinking about Weber.

Could just be wishful thinking I suppose but they look quite similar (physically imposing) on the ice.

I happened to see Bill Dandy, Eastern (QMJHL) scout for the Oilers at the last Oil King's game. Not sure what to make of that, but the first thing I thought of when I saw him was that he was there to watch Reinhart.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 04-05-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old
04-05-2012, 04:34 PM
countrcultur

Ya, you watch a guy like Alex petrovic play who may not get as big as reinhart will and you see the type of game you would like reinhart to have physically and defensively.

But Like someone said his offensive game might be his strongpoint. So how anyone could consider taking him over dumba or Murray doesnt make sense to me

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrcultur View Post
Ya, you watch a guy like Alex petrovic play who may not get as big as reinhart will and you see the type of game you would like reinhart to have physically and defensively.

But Like someone said his offensive game might be his strongpoint. So how anyone could consider taking him over dumba or Murray doesnt make sense to me
If they did it would be because of his size. The other two dont have that attribute. If you look at the dmen the Oil have been drafting the last couple of years, Marincin, Musil, Klefbom, Gernat, trading for Teubert, it would seem that size is something they covet.

Old
04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrcultur View Post

I don't understand your point.

You don't see how people can rank him ahead of Dumba or Murray, because he's not as physical as he should be?

Old
04-05-2012, 05:36 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
If they did it would be because of his size. The other two dont have that attribute. If you look at the dmen the Oil have been drafting the last couple of years, Marincin, Musil, Klefbom, Gernat, trading for Teubert, it would seem that size is something they covet.
Yep, his size, but also how that combines with his hockey sense to make GR an intriguing prospect. What Stu MacGregor said about GR:

Well first of all he's 6 foot 4 so he jumps out at you just because of that. But then you watch his hockey skill and his sense, and [get an] understanding of how quickly and smartly he moves the puck, and the patience that he shows.

Perhaps what he saw in RNH's game is something MacGregor is seeing in Griffin ReiNHart.

Old
04-05-2012, 05:50 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
No, not really. Mostly because Reinhart's skating has been considered somewhat of a problem (especially early this year) while Jay-Bo is an elite skater.
Remember reading his skating was excellent for a kid his size last year. What happened?

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Remember reading his skating was excellent for a kid his size last year. What happened?
He grew and started the year off looking very clumsy and not nearly as smooth. There were also major concerns over a lack of working out last summer.

Seems to be back to normal now, but I still wouldn't say his skating is top end for a guy his size.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Really think it would be foolish for the oilers to move down to get him instead of Murray or Dumba.

04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Yep, his size, but also how that combines with his hockey sense to make GR an intriguing prospect. What Stu MacGregor said about GR:

Well first of all he's 6 foot 4 so he jumps out at you just because of that. But then you watch his hockey skill and his sense, and [get an] understanding of how quickly and smartly he moves the puck, and the patience that he shows.

Perhaps what he saw in RNH's game is something MacGregor is seeing in Griffin ReiNHart.
That's pretty clever.

I agree. He IS a very smart player. There is a lot to like there. Personally I like Dumba more, but I could see why a team may prefer Reinhart instead.

Carolina scout and ex-Oil King Bert Marshall was at game one of the Kootenay series. He was being interviewed between periods and said that the Hurricanes would be taking Reinhart given the chance.

I was busy and missed the interview between periods but that is what I was told. I found it strange that he would make such a proclamation. Maybe he was just playing to the home crowd?

Old
04-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

Quote:
That's pretty clever.

I agree. He IS a very smart player. There is a lot to like there. Personally I like Dumba more, but I could see why a team may prefer Reinhart instead.

Carolina scout and ex-Oil King Bert Marshall was at game one of the Kootenay series. He was being interviewed between periods and said that the Hurricanes would be taking Reinhart given the chance.

I was busy and missed the interview between periods but that is what I was told. I found it strange that he would make such a proclamation. Maybe he was just playing to the home crowd?
Well they took Lowe last year... although I'm unsure if that has anything to do with this.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:45 PM
countrcultur

Quote:
I don't understand your point.

You don't see how people can rank him ahead of Dumba or Murray, because he's not as physical as he should be?
The point is that if he doesn't play a big man game but is instead more of a 2way dman how could he ever go ahead of a 2way dman like dumba or Murray? He shouldn't and probably wont

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote