HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Post Wrestlemania 28 thoughts (All discussion here)

Old
04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
HBK was very over-the-top. If I didn't know better, I would of have thought he partied with Marty Jannetty right before he came out.

I get the drama and I even popped for two of the false finishes. The drama was there. The emotion was there. The crowd reaction was there. Hence me giving the match a decent (not great) rating. As for the actual work, it was like one step up from a Goldberg match. The last 10 minutes was just finishers. The exact same as last year. I actually popped huge for the pinfall attempt by Taker after the chair shots because it was the only pinfall I remember in the last half of the match that didn't follow a finisher.

It was just repetitive. And so similar to last year except this year had HBK's ridiculous antics and a Cell that they didn't use.

People are *****ing about Jericho trying to draw the DQ in his match (to win the World ****ing Title) but they aren't *****ing about HBK stepping in after every damn move saying "no don't hit him" ... just an overbooked mess. Entertaining? Sure. But watching that match again will lose a lot of the drama and excitement and you're left with the actual work and overbooking - which was not that good, IMO.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show but it wasn't even close to being in the Top-3 PPV's which is disappointing. I'm not even sure if it was in the Top-5 PPVs within the last year.

I would have gladly knocked 10-minutes off of Taker/HHH (it would have told the same story) and knocked out a couple of the dumb commercials and given it to DB/Sheamus. Especially after you heard the reaction for DB. The reaction for Sheamus winning the title was probably a huge let down in WWE's mind since DB definitely out-popped him. It kinda killed the crowd for a few minutes.
I re-watched it literally two hours ago and everything I felt yesterday was still there. I was exhausted after watching the match again even though it was my second time watching it, that's how damn good it was, at least for me. It's a match that unlike last year, I can watch over and over and over again and I'll still think it's a classic and still think highly of it.

As for knocking 10 minutes off a match, I would've gladly taken 10 minutes off a 30 minute Rock/Cena match and cut those stupid live performances to give Sheamus/Bryan a 20 minute match. I think Rock/Cena would've benefited from it anyways because there was too many dull spots in the match. 20 minutes would've been perfect for a match of that caliber (Hogan/Rock went 16 minutes in '02 for comparison).

M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

vCash: 500
Aw that rock video got removed lol, it was hilarious.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:35 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

On Punk/Jericho vs Taker/Hunter.... Taker/Hunter by a hundred miles. A couple botches in a brawl don't mean anything against the emotion of two legends likely ending their careers, and superior storytelling while they did it.

Punk/Jericho not only wasn't a five star wrestling match, the stakes were meaningless. Two d-bags running around demanding that they are the best in the world; not easy to like either. I mean, Jericho had to heel it up by attacking Punk's family, but that felt like the type of build they use for Vengeance, not Wrestlemania.

Last edited by SK13: 04-03-2012 at 03:25 AM.
SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:18 AM
BGDDYKWL

Caught a highlight video of the event on Youtube. Surprisingly the video was actually pretty good. Weird watching Taker, Shawn, and HHH at the top of the ramp. Really felt like the end of an era. And someone already mentioned it, but wow how strong is Cena. Picks The Rock up like a baby and then tosses him over his head and onto his shoulders. That was very impressive.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
I re-watched it literally two hours ago and everything I felt yesterday was still there. I was exhausted after watching the match again even though it was my second time watching it, that's how damn good it was, at least for me. It's a match that unlike last year, I can watch over and over and over again and I'll still think it's a classic and still think highly of it.

As for knocking 10 minutes off a match, I would've gladly taken 10 minutes off a 30 minute Rock/Cena match and cut those stupid live performances to give Sheamus/Bryan a 20 minute match. I think Rock/Cena would've benefited from it anyways because there was too many dull spots in the match. 20 minutes would've been perfect for a match of that caliber (Hogan/Rock went 16 minutes in '02 for comparison).
I rewatched the whole show and I still didn't like it. In fact, I hated it more because I wasn't excited for a couple of the false finishes.

I'd just rather watch a back and forth match where the two guys don't use the same move 100 times.

Anyway, I need to stop replying because obviously my opinion on the match isn't going to change - and I don't want to change anyone opinion either.

I'm glad lots of people enjoyed it though - I just much preferred the first Triple H match (which I have at ****1/2) in comparison with the two we've been "treated" too the last two years.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
I rewatched the whole show and I still didn't like it. In fact, I hated it more because I wasn't excited for a couple of the false finishes.

I'd just rather watch a back and forth match where the two guys don't use the same move 100 times.

Anyway, I need to stop replying because obviously my opinion on the match isn't going to change - and I don't want to change anyone opinion either.

I'm glad lots of people enjoyed it though - I just much preferred the first Triple H match (which I have at ****1/2) in comparison with the two we've been "treated" too the last two years.
I thought the WM 27 match was better as well, but the false finish after the superkick into the pedigree was a great moment on Sunday. It was entertaining as hell for me.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:56 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I thought the WM 27 match was better as well, but the false finish after the superkick into the pedigree was a great moment on Sunday. It was entertaining as hell for me.
I meant the one at Wrestlemania 17. I didn't like the one last year either.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:17 PM
duckchobbins

Well yeah that was 10 years ago, those two guys were FAR more athletic then than they are now. I think the TLC match at WM17 was the best of the night though. It was a very solid show.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:58 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Well yeah that was 10 years ago, those two guys were FAR more athletic then than they are now. I think the TLC match at WM17 was the best of the night though. It was a very solid show.
No doubt, although I don't think there is too much in that match that they couldn't do today.

The biggest thing to me is that it wasn't the same moves over and over. And the drama was built up in a good way, not an overbooked way.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
No doubt, although I don't think there is too much in that match that they couldn't do today.

The biggest thing to me is that it wasn't the same moves over and over. And the drama was built up in a good way, not an overbooked way.
The biggest difference for me was hbk crying into the turnbuckle After he refused to stop the match the first time, that should have been the end of that drama but they carried the chair shots and "you pin him" "no you stop the match" "no just pin him" for 10 minutes. That's the only part I didn't like.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:41 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

My Grade for WM28 is a B+
For me, the big matches are what I cared about.

Orton/Kane had a very good match IMO as well.
Did not care about the GM ******** at all
HHH/Taker had a great match, it was brutal, I didn't care for the re-hash but I give respect for the match itself
Punk/Jericho was very good, to those expecting a Steamboat/Savage, maybe it didn't deliver, but I didn't expect that. Looking forward to the rest of their program, but thought Jericho needed to win.
Rock/Cena was great, lived up to the hype, Rock was great, Cena was great, the finish was excellent and it opens up possibilities for Cena's character

The thing that dragged the show down, was that stupid WHC match, and I am so glad the fans voiced their displeasure with the over the top DBD love

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Looks like WM28 did 1.9 Million buys.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/2526...uys-lesnarrock

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Looks like WM28 did 1.9 Million buys.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/2526...uys-lesnarrock
Crushed the previous high I figured it would set the new high but not by that much.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:06 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

That's not confirmed but if true, that shows the drawing power of Rock and Cena, and why there may be a re-match at 29

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
That's not confirmed but if true, that shows the drawing power of Rock and Cena, and why there may be a re-match at 29
Spoil:
Early reports it's gonna be Rock/Lesnar at WM29 for the title

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:53 PM
M.C.G. 31

Doesn't it usually take a few weeks/months for the number to come out? I mean, 1.9 million is a HUGE number and if it's true, then that's just awesome for WWE - but I wouldn't trust that number just yet.

Dave Meltzer said WrestleMania 28 did 1.08 million buys.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
Doesn't it usually take a few weeks/months for the number to come out? I mean, 1.9 million is a HUGE number and if it's true, then that's just awesome for WWE - but I wouldn't trust that number just yet.

Dave Meltzer said WrestleMania 28 did 1.08 million buys.
I highly doubt it was 1.08, haven't they already surpassed 1 million several times? WM28 had to be their highest gross.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:21 PM
M.C.G. 31

I doubt it's as low as 1.08 million, but I doubt it's as high as 1.9 million. I'm going to wait a few weeks until a number actually comes out because that's how long it usually takes.

If it is 1.08 million though, WWE is still going to be happy considering it was out that after expecting 1.2-1.3 million buys, they expected 1 million buys for the PPV during the weekend. If it is 1.9 million though, then that, factored in with Lesnar's return, a boom period might be coming.

Old
04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Predictions for next year?

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar
John Cena vs. The Undertaker
HHH vs. Shawn Michaels
CM Punk vs. Steve Austin

Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I think Michaels is retired for good. He's been pretty steadfast that he felt that his last match with the Undertaker was special and did not want to break the promise he had with him. He wasn't happy that Ric Flair ended up continuing after he retired.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:50 PM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Predictions for next year?

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar
John Cena vs. The Undertaker
HHH vs. Shawn Michaels
CM Punk vs. Steve Austin
Rock v Brock
Punk v Austin
Cena v Ziggler
MITB
HHH, Michaels, and Taker not on the card

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I think Michaels is retired for good. He's been pretty steadfast that he felt that his last match with the Undertaker was special and did not want to break the promise he had with him. He wasn't happy that Ric Flair ended up continuing after he retired.
Agreed. Barring any extreme financial hardship, Michaels isn't competing.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Sens4thecup

maybe HHH vs someone with/HBK in their corner or manager

Sens4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 09:27 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
I realized something....Undertaker never once went for the Last Ride on HHH at wrestlemania....maybe not even last year too...Guessing thats a sign that his body isn't upto that kind of move anymore?

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
M.C.G. 31

Quote:
While we don't have a number, early indications are that WrestleMania is going to finish pretty much exactly where we predicted, in the 1.1 million buys range. This would put it right around exactly where last year's show finished, although based on the collapse of the international market, one would predict that domestic buys were actually a fair bit higher. It does not appear to have done less than last year, and at the same time it certainly didn't do anything close to the 1.9 million that an ESPN writer claimed on Twitter the day after the show. If that ends up being the final number than the PPV will go into the books as the single biggest pro-wrestling show in the history of the world. WWE had initially predicted 1.3 million buys, but then lowered expectations to 1.0 million the day of the show.
Wrestling Observer.

The most successful show in the history of pro wrestling. And next year's WrestleMania is going to be HUGE as well.

Old
04-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
I realized something....Undertaker never once went for the Last Ride on HHH at wrestlemania....maybe not even last year too...Guessing thats a sign that his body isn't upto that kind of move anymore?
I seem to recall HHH kicking out of the Last Ride last year.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote