HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Funniest moments of your hockey career

Old
04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Steelhead16

vCash: 500
In 40+ years there have been many but a couple not too long ago:

I was playing pickup at lunchtime and the rink I was playing on has a pizza restaraunt at one end with huge windows 8' from the boards. I was playing defense in front of the net and some guy takes a slap shot from the high slot that catches me square in the cup at a steep rising angle since he was only 10' from me. I've been hit there quite a few times but nothing like this one. I went down in a heap and after about 2 mins I could finally talk and breath and sat up. There were probably 50 people shoving pizza in their pie holes and laughing at me through the windows.

Other one was also at pickup. Pretty decent amount of experienced guys but a few beginners and a couple were women. We were taking it pretty easy on all the beginners (not just the women). I crossed from the blue line toward the center ice faceoff dot and took an outlet pass at close to full speed at center ice. As soon as I turned forward this 5'-2" girl was standing dead still in front of me. I chipped the puck by her and then just dove to the right to try and keep from killing her. I still made a little contact with her and she fell too and we ended up just in front of the bench. Before I could say anything she pipes up in a little girl voice "are you okay"? Everyone on the bench just fell over laughing.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Alpine

Reffing a game in a nothing beer league.........I called a trip and the linesman came and barreled me over..sat me right on me arse....
That was a dive he yelled the stick didn't touch 'em.
I was left with nothing to do but call the trip and the dive.
Later the same linesman just about stopped the game when the 50/50 was called and pulled out all his tickets on the ice to check his numbers.
I went back to only doing minor hockey after that

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Later the same linesman just about stopped the game when the 50/50 was called and pulled out all his tickets on the ice to check his numbers.
I went back to only doing minor hockey after that
Obviously wasn't getting paid enough that's really bizarre

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Drrocket9

one night we had a practice time and some figure skater wouldnt leave the ice. he was being arrogant as though it was his rink, so one of the "bigger" skaters went out there and was somehow able to persuade Mr Boitano to leave in the interest of his health and competitive future.

i played my 1st Las Vegas tourney in 1994. in the championship game we played a team from Omaha. i turned my skate like an idiot to stop a slap shot and was in severe pain. we went on to lose the game. later that night i was drinking to help take the pain away, and a guy sat next to me to gamble a slot machine. we got to talking, then he said, "oh man im sorry i really got you good" He was a great guy and we drank all night together on his tab.

we played another tourney in San Francisco, down at the Redwood City rink. we played a game and stayed to watch another game from our division. Rick Chartraw former Canadien and King was playing D for one team. there was a face off, and just as the puck was being dropped Chartraw lets out a huge belch you could hear through the whole rink.

In 91 we played at RWC, and a bunch of guys were coming in for some skating time. turned out to be a bunch of the Sharks. After our game I went to the room, changed into my new Sharks jersey and went back out on the ice. Doug Wilson was out there and threw me a puck, then we started skating back and forth doing some passing, then when Perry Berezan came out on the ice Wilson yelled at me with a big smile saying ok, you had some fun now get outta here! no animos at all. he was very cool and i think he knew that he had made my day.

Drrocket9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Kulluminati

In our last intramural game of the season, we were down 3-1 half way through the second and we get a powerplay. The team wasn't fore-checking at all so our d-man takes the puck from centre ice and skates behind our net and starts banging his stick on the ice repeatedly, we all skate back and gather behind the net and take of in a synchronized Flying V, it was magical. We break into their zone and I started to trail behind the V my teammate drops it back and I do a one timer off the crossbar and out of the rink. Everyone was laughing, our team, the other team, even the refs

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:04 PM
newfr4u

we were beating a team 8-0, and as i take the ensuing faceoff, the opposing center asks me if i can play goalie for them. it was in an elimination game in the playoffs.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
jntadt22

I was coaching Mite Travel one year, and was one of 2 D-Man Coaches. Me and the other guy just switched each game to run the door. Luckily this one game was his turn, because our worst (attitude) player comes to the bench for a line change, and has his stick, arms and everything else going to tell us about the shift, and hits the other coach in the head with his stick. The coach javelins the stick down the hall behind the bench and yells, "you stupid kid!!!" I still laugh about that one!

Another one, my brother is 8 years older than I am, so I'm watching his game way back in the days of fence instead of glass (some of you oldtimers might remember this). Anyway, he was skating with the puck behind the net, and looking to make his outlet pass, and gets checked into the boards, but his helmet (the oval ones), got stuck in the fencing and his skates went flying out from under him. Being the younger brother, that was about all I had on him and never let him live it down!

jntadt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJohns View Post
one night we had a practice time and some figure skater wouldnt leave the ice. he was being arrogant as though it was his rink, so one of the "bigger" skaters went out there and was somehow able to persuade Mr Boitano to leave in the interest of his health and competitive future.

i played my 1st Las Vegas tourney in 1994. in the championship game we played a team from Omaha. i turned my skate like an idiot to stop a slap shot and was in severe pain. we went on to lose the game. later that night i was drinking to help take the pain away, and a guy sat next to me to gamble a slot machine. we got to talking, then he said, "oh man im sorry i really got you good" He was a great guy and we drank all night together on his tab.

we played another tourney in San Francisco, down at the Redwood City rink. we played a game and stayed to watch another game from our division. Rick Chartraw former Canadien and King was playing D for one team. there was a face off, and just as the puck was being dropped Chartraw lets out a huge belch you could hear through the whole rink.

In 91 we played at RWC, and a bunch of guys were coming in for some skating time. turned out to be a bunch of the Sharks. After our game I went to the room, changed into my new Sharks jersey and went back out on the ice. Doug Wilson was out there and threw me a puck, then we started skating back and forth doing some passing, then when Perry Berezan came out on the ice Wilson yelled at me with a big smile saying ok, you had some fun now get outta here! no animos at all. he was very cool and i think he knew that he had made my day.
Were you playing at Belmont? What a crappy old barn. I got hit into the drop in board in the corner more than once when it blew out and me and the guy who hit me ended up outside the rink and we had to wait 20 mins for them to put it back together. One of my best friends was the manager of that rink for years and years.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote