HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Sent: Apr 3, 2012 12:42p

Nothing new on Justin Schultz. Source says there won't be a decision for a while. Plans remain to finish school year.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/icemancometh/stat...18601592365058

Old
04-03-2012, 12:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schultz has less than 2 months to make his decision. Plenty of time. Their last final day is May 19. Schultz could have told the school about his plans to leave school already. Unless you have a source within Wisconsin nobody will know.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
That's not how blue chip athletes are wired.
I guess we can agree to disagree on that. Athletes choose to go or not go to teams all the times for just this very reason. Once again I'm not saying he would look at our roster and say "there's no way I can crack that lineup"...but I am saying he would be foolish if he didn't consider what stands in his way before making his decision.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I guess we can agree to disagree on that. Athletes choose to go or not go to teams all the times for just this very reason. Once again I'm not saying he would look at our roster and say "there's no way I can crack that lineup"...but I am saying he would be foolish if he didn't consider what stands in his way before making his decision.
I'm agreeing both bobbop and BB; blue chippers know they can play anywhere; that's partly what makes them blue chippers. I also guarantee Shultz will be in commo w/McD and Stepan and finding out the pros and cons of playing in NYC and what its like to be a NYR; he will find out what its like to play for Torts and he will get a 1st hand scouting report on who he has to beat out. with 2 possible spots open he should be very confident he can fill one of them.

Old
04-05-2012, 07:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I really think this kid could be a special player for the Rangers.

Still hoping we get him signed.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:08 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I really think this kid could be a special player for the Rangers.

Still hoping we get him signed.
I hope your right.

Old
04-11-2012, 08:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Mike Eaves discussed Justin Schultz

Quote:
Mike Eaves: Justin is quiet to begin with. Because of that fact, he keeps his cards pretty close to his chest. The fact that he hasnít signed indicates that heís probably not going to sign with Anaheim. I guess if he was going to go he wouldíve gone. I think that what heís doing is heís using that rule that he can become a free agent. I think heís going to play that card ó thatís my own thought process based on the fact that he didnít sign right away. We donít see the guys quite as much any more, but the one comment that he says is Ďitís really complicated.í So heís keeping things really close, but Iím pretty sure weíre not going to have Justin back next year.
He is going to be a free agent. Eaves answered another question about Schultz staying in school because there may be a lockout. The CBA expires 9/15 and Schultz can become a free agent on 6/1. 24 underclassmen have signed NHL SPCs since their seasons ended. They aren't worried about a lockout.

Quote:
KE: Whenís the last time that youíve had a defenseman like him?

ME: Well, weíve had some awfully good young defensemen here in terms of point production. Jamie McBain comes to mind right away. Jake Gardiner was the same type of skill, maybe didnít put up the points that Justin had. I think Brendan Smith was a guy that had a magic shot like Justin. Justin, his ability to quarterback the power play and get his shot through either with his velocity, his accuracy or he has the ability to take a little bit off of it, what we call a smart shot, that is the right shot at the right time. So weíve had some really talented people in that aspect, but I think this year his ability to control the game and all aspects with and without the puck may have separated him a little bit, and the fact that he has that unbelievable work ethic and competitiveness that goes along with that skill: That makes him special
http://badgerherald.com/sports/2012/...alks_schul.php

Now that Kreider is signed. Time to get Schultz signed. He can agree to terms in June and sign the SPC on 7/1.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Pizza

Sounds like a pretty special player. I've got a team that needs a PP QB for ya

Old
04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Rangers already have a deep farm system in terms of D (counting the kids already on the team)..

Start with Staal - Girardi - McDonagh - MDZ - Sauer (if he plays again, he's a sure fire 2nd pair D) - Erixon - McIlrath

That's 7 right now. Schultz would give us 8. That would be solid. These kids will be cost controlled for a few years, and the guys we have under contract at the moment, Staal, Girardi, etc are under very cap friendly contracts. Having assets is ALWAYS a good thing. Rangers have more than enough to pull the trigger on a big deal should they want to.

Old
04-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I liken his offensive game to Mike Green in Washington. Smooth, intelligent, and has a wrist shot that's perhaps even more effective than his slapper. Add in top-notch defensive awareness and gap control, and you've got the makings of a very special player.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Add Schultz and really it becomes an embarrassment of riches in terms of young dmen.

04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

this is the only move we should be making this summer other than retaining our own fas

we do not need nash or parise and we do not need suter.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Add Schultz and really it becomes an embarrassment of riches in terms of young dmen.
yep, i would seriously consider moving staal for yakupov this deadline. and im a big time fan of staal. but youd have a young potential star in the making with a very friendly contract, allowing the team to improve elsewhere, and to have more than enough money to re-sign all our kids.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

They'd never trade Yakupov for Staal. And I really like Staal.

But Schultz fills the 3rd RD spot more, with McIlrath later pushing.

Left side we have Staal, MCD, Del Zotto, and Erixon. Conventional wisdom would say at some point one has to go.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
We really have to sign Schultz.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Rangers already have a deep farm system in terms of D (counting the kids already on the team)..

Start with Staal - Girardi - McDonagh - MDZ - Sauer (if he plays again, he's a sure fire 2nd pair D) - Erixon - McIlrath

That's 7 right now. Schultz would give us 8. That would be solid. These kids will be cost controlled for a few years, and the guys we have under contract at the moment, Staal, Girardi, etc are under very cap friendly contracts. Having assets is ALWAYS a good thing. Rangers have more than enough to pull the trigger on a big deal should they want to.
our blueline is already deep...but a righthanded, puck moving, offensive dman is something that we lack. so schultz does potentially add a dimension to our blueline that we don't have

Old
04-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
They'd never trade Yakupov for Staal. And I really like Staal.

But Schultz fills the 3rd RD spot more, with McIlrath later pushing.

Left side we have Staal, MCD, Del Zotto, and Erixon. Conventional wisdom would say at some point one has to go.
How about Staal, Dubinsky, and our 1st? Overpayment perhaps? It gives Edmonton a top pairing d-man, and they can use Dubinsky for their center depth. It also frees up cap space to possibly do something else. Renney knows them both well too, if he's still the coach

Old
04-11-2012, 10:37 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

I can't imagine if we get this guy. Can our D get any nastier? This would be like cloning Del Zotto essentially.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
How about Staal, Dubinsky, and our 1st? Overpayment perhaps? It gives Edmonton a top pairing d-man, and they can use Dubinsky for their center depth. It also frees up cap space to possibly do something else. Renney knows them both well too, if he's still the coach
Not to completely derail the thread, but with the amount of cap space we'd get from that, and an 18 year old NHL ready future star in Yakupov I probably would make the deal.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not to completely derail the thread, but with the amount of cap space we'd get from that, and an 18 year old NHL ready future star in Yakupov I probably would make the deal.
as would I.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Getting this kid would essentially be filling the role that Sanguinetti was supposed to when he was drafted. Like Kovy said above, this is really the only I want to see the Rangers make this off-season.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Getting this kid would essentially be filling the role that Sanguinetti was supposed to when he was drafted. Like Kovy said above, this is really the only I want to see the Rangers make this off-season.
If we sign him, we can move some D for Booooooooby Ryan.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The list of NCAA players who left school with time left

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/?i=pmoves2012

Old
04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If we sign him, we can move some D for Booooooooby Ryan.
it's going to be one hell of an interesting offseason.

last year everyone knew it was Richards or bust.

This year there is potentially...

Schultz
Yakupov
Nash
Ryan
Parise
and Suter

That's a whole lot of options to talk about lol.

Old
04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Ducks had exit meetings with their players. It looks like Ryan won't be traded.

Quote:
Asked if he believes that he will be with the Ducks when camp opens in September, Ryan said, “I do. I hope so.”

“Things change obviously,” he continued. ”I haven’t been given any direction as to why I wouldn’t. As far as I’m concerned, I’m going away for the summer and coming back a Duck.”
Quote:
“Obviously we fell short of the goal,” Ryan said. ”Repercussions or things come with that. I’m not too worried about it. I think we did OK down the stretch. We made a run at it. We threw everything we had at [teams] through January and Feburary. Came up short and didn’t quite to get to where we needed to be.

I think after my conversations with everybody, I can enter the summer a little more secure than I was throughout the year is the best way to put it.”
http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/04/...season/109460/

The Ducks are facing Perry and Getzlaf being group IIIs next July 2013. Getzlaf scored 1 goal in the last 30 games. Some crazy number.

Closed Thread