HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
if you want to read up some more on Jack Johnson, just check his blog out...wanna talk about bleeding red, white, and blue??? every drop of his blog is about USA Hockey and pictures of representing his nation.

who else has a blog with their NHL team (Columbus Blue Jackets) and USA defenseman in the title!!

here is a quote from Jack's blog

October 12th, 2011... I said it before that hockey has taken me places and allowed me to experience things I never would have thought possible and yesterday I was honored to visit the United States Naval Academy. It gave me a chance to thank everyone there for what they have done for our country. I'm so proud to put on the red, white, and blue whenever I have a chance and will always represent my country because of the sacrifices our military makes every day. I'm so proud to be an American and I was humbled to meet some members of the U.S. Navy. It is an experience I will never forget and I really don't have words to describe how amazing it was to be there. I'm still in awe and feel so privileged to have been there.

how can you not love this guy? it sends chills down my spine to know that there still is a millionare athlete out there that values things and believes in representing your country as an honor and not some catchy quote. this guy PROVES it every chance he can.

and here is his bottom of homepage quote -- " As always...GO USA...GO BLUE...GO JACKETS..." see who he has first on that list?

Love ya Jack Mother ****ing Johnson!!

link to his amazing blog

http://jackjohnson3.com/index.html
Seriously, assuming NHL players are in Sotshi in 2014, if I were in charge of assembling the team, JJ would be the first name on the roster. More players should be this proud to play for their national team.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

never really saw this when it came out, but I find it interesting none the less...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ago-gm-bowman/

a lot of American GM's in the league....pretty crazy...plus Larry Pleau and Craig Patrick are always still looming around as VP's of Operations or whatever titles they have...

Old
04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
we are going to have some strong wingers...but who the heck is going to center these guys?? I hope the Sharks bow out so Pavelski can come!!

also, do we really need to name Nate Thompson and Pat Dwyer already? I hate when they do that so early with 4th line guys..
Pavelski would be a huge addition. Such a complete player. Hopefully some centers become available after the first round of the NHL playoffs since there's time to wait. Hopefully a guy like Stastny will sign up to center two studs like Pacioretty and Ryan. That would be a good start.

On one hand, I understand the guys like Thompson and Dwyer. You need players that willingly accept their roles as 4th liners and will work hard, grind, and give their bodies up for this team. On the other hand, you can typically find lots of those guys - as you mention - as well. With USA Hockey, it's so hard to tell what's the case here. They could know all the other forwards we know are available have declined, or they could have added Thompson/Dwyer early because both players were eager and willing to sign up knowing they'd get limited minutes and/or possibly be scratches where as some of the others may have had reservations. However, we've also seen USA Hockey sign these guys up early and then run out of room for a guy like Zach Parise in the past as well so who the heck knows. If they can get Wheeler confirmed and then get a Kessel, Pominville, Stafford, etc. on board, this team should have enough firepower up front and on the back end to overcome the scoring issues our team has had recently.

Now they just need to pray Ryan Miller will agree to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
USA Hockey has to hedge their bets a little bit. I have no problem with guys like Thompson and Dwyer on the 4th line. Lets just hope they stay there........
Exactly. As long as they were signed up with the intention of being 4th line guys, great. Unfortunately, USA Hockey hasn't always shown that capable foresight in their selection process so I understand the apprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Seriously, assuming NHL players are in Sotshi in 2014, if I were in charge of assembling the team, JJ would be the first name on the roster. More players should be this proud to play for their national team.
Perfectly said, Jussi. While Jack has yet to fully realize his potential, you're starting to see it now that he's out of LA's stifling system. Even then, as long as he doesn't regress from where he's at now, there's no way you can leave him off the 2014 team. Any country would gladly accept more Jack Johnson's if they could.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-05-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old
04-06-2012, 08:38 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

very surprised that Jake Gardiner is likely going to the AHL playoffs...

I dont get that at all. the kid has proved he is a NHL regular from hence forth, and you would think him playing against some of the best in the world again would benefit him more...but I am just being selfish I guess.

Old
04-06-2012, 09:11 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Atkinson - Thompson - Dwyer

Good checkingline...

Old
04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Atkinson - Thompson - Dwyer

Good checkingline...
lets hope thats where it stays and not a 3rd line...

Old
04-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Well, I wouldn't utilize Atkinson as a checker. He's a scorer (hatty last night!) and has some very good offensive instincts. If he makes it, he could pull a Craig Smith. Now that the playoff spots are secure, we can speculate a bit more. I'd love to see guys like Stastny and Pominville come on board and anchor the offense. Ryan Miller would be a godsend, but he might not be in a great frame of mind after being so close to making the playoffs. Hello Richard Bachman!

Old
04-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Shaping up to be a very young team, which is fine IMO-especially when the youth is talent-laden. I'd like to see a good veteran presence up front (Ryan Malone?) and on the backend (Tim Gleason/John-Michael Liles?) though.
Avs are out and I think Stastny is healthy so he could add a bit of a veteran presence up front even though he's only 26 years old. He might be the best center currently available for the US. I'd like to see him on a line with Ryan and Kessel.

EJ has been hurting the last couple weeks so he might decline if he is asked.

I think Mueller would do well on the bigger ice surface but he might not get asked because of his injury history. He could also decline even if he is asked because he might not want to risk an injury in an international tournament.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Xokkeu

I wonder if we'll look for college players again like Chris Kreider from last year. He will likely be a pro with the Rangers this year (unless I"m missing something), so perhaps we see Nick Bjugstad on the team?

Either way it's been fairly disappointing the last few years looking at how many of the USA's best players have declined to play in this tournament. We could really put out a decent team with the players available but instead we get teams like last year where Derek Stepan and James Van Riemsdyk were our only really good forward options.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
According to Kevin Allen, the following are going to be on the team: Pacioretty, Okposo, Ryan, Nate Thompson, Cam Atkinson, Pat Dwyer, Johnson, Faulk, Fowler, and Jeff Petry will all be in. Atkinson may be out for AHL playoffs though.

They're also hopeful for Bogosian and Wheeler.

Toronto assistants Gordon and Cronin to lead staff.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...tes/54046568/1
That already gives us a much better forward group than last year.

Just having two lines with Pacioretty, Okposo on one set and Ryan and Wheeler (maybe) on the other set will be better than last year. This proving more optimistic to me than last year.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

now that everything is official, we should start hearing more names leaked over the next few days.

I would think and hope Alex Goligoski comes on board now with Dallas out...

I would also assume that we will get one of either Paul Stastny or Peter Mueller...both would be welcome additions obviously with Mueller maybe being that hidden gem in this tournament.

looks like Erik Johnson is banged up so I wont hold my breath, but if we can get a defense anything close to this I would be extatic...

Cam Fowler, Alex Goligoski, Jack Johnson, Jamie McBain, Jeff Petry, Tom Gilbert, Zack Bogosian, with Mark Stuart or Justin Faulk as the 8th man...

that would probably be our best defense ever assembled...plenty of offense and some grit as well...we could sure as heck move the puck which we are always going to need!

Old
04-07-2012, 10:37 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

the crazy thing is that we might not have to bank on anyone getting knocked out of the first round to fill this team out. we have enough talent to build this team right now...I like that

Old
04-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Xokkeu

The defense last year was not too bad.

Ryan McDonagh
Jack Johnson
Clay Wilson
Mark Stuart
Cam Fowler
Mike Komisarek
Kevin Shattenkirk
Mark Fayne

Is it worse than?

Cam Fowler, Alex Goligoski, Jack Johnson, Jamie McBain, Jeff Petry, Tom Gilbert, Zack Bogosian, with Mark Stuart or Justin Faulk

I think this year's list above is stronger, but not dramatically so.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:22 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The defense last year was not too bad.

Ryan McDonagh
Jack Johnson
Clay Wilson
Mark Stuart
Cam Fowler
Mike Komisarek
Kevin Shattenkirk
Mark Fayne

Is it worse than?

Cam Fowler, Alex Goligoski, Jack Johnson, Jamie McBain, Jeff Petry, Tom Gilbert, Zack Bogosian, with Mark Stuart or Justin Faulk

I think this year's list above is stronger, but not dramatically so.
I disagree.

if that list of players is this years defense, it is a LOT better overall then last years squad.

main reasons being how young McDonagh, Fayne, Fowler, and Shattenkirk were last year. Shatty and McDonagh were not at the same level of play last year that they are now...they both were very good, but this year those two have become top 10 players for the US with both very likely making the team in 2014...

also, last years squad had Wilson, Fayne, and Komisarek, and all 3 are major steps below the 8 I listed above. there is a big jump in talent from those three to Bogosian, Goligoski, and McBain/Faulk....and its not really that close imo..

last years team didnt fail on defense, we had some solid young guys there, we just had a terrible lack of offense, a poor system (Gordon sucks as a coach), and no top flight goalie to make a big save every now and again.

I expect a much better performance as long as we can land 2-3 of the Stastny, Stafford, Pominville, Kessel, Larose, Slater, Mueller group...we should be just fine offensively..

as a super sleeper, wouldnt mind Eric Nystrom on the fourth line either...him or David Moss could be solid veterans with grit and scoring ability to help out on the third/fourth lines..

this year whether we get Montoya and or Miller...with Bachman or Campbell...I like our goaltending better this year as well.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:33 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Team USA

Accepted Invitation

F - Cam Atkinson (CBJ)
F - Pat Dwyer (CAR)
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Max Pacioretty (MON)
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA)
F - Nate Thompson (TBL)

D - Justin Faulk (CAR)
D - Cam Fowler (ANA)
D - Jack Johnson (CBJ)
D - Jeff Petry (EDM)

Mulling Invitation

F - Blake Wheeler (WPG)

D - Zach Bogosian (WPG)

Declined Invitation

F - Erik Cole (MON)
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) *Does it really matter?*

D - Dustin Byfuglien (WPG): *Injured Foot*
D - James Wisniewski (CBJ) *Rest after injury riddled season*

Available Players

F - Jason Blake (ANA)
F - Nick Bonino (ANA)
F - Tim Connolly (TOR)
F - Joey Crabb (TOR)
F - Phil Kessel (TOR)
F - Chad LaRose (CAR)
F - Ryan Malone (TBL)
F - Jim Slater (WPG)
F - Tim Stapleton (WPG)
F - David Steckel (TOR)
----
D - Mark Eaton (NYI)
D - Tom Gilbert (MIN)
D - Tim Gleason (CAR)
D - Ron Hainsey (WPG)
D - Mike Komisarek (TOR)
D - J.M. Liles (TOR)
D - Jamie McBain (CAR)
D - Mark Stuart (WPG)
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM)
----
G - Brian Boucher (CAR)
G - Al Montoya (NYI)

Unavailable Players

F - Matt Cullen (MIN) *Injury*
F - Brian Gionta (MON) *Injury*
F - Scott Gomez (MON) *Injury*
F - Ryan Shannon (TBL) *Injury*
----
D - Jake Gardiner (TOR) *AHL Playoffs*
----
G - Rick DiPietro (NYI) *Injury*
lots and lots of new names to add with Buffalo, Dallas, Calgary, and Colorado all eliminated now... plenty of names that could help us out big time especially Goligoski, Mueller, Stastny, and ofcourse Miller, Pominville, and Stafford... hope we land a few of these guys.

Old
04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I disagree.

if that list of players is this years defense, it is a LOT better overall then last years squad.

main reasons being how young McDonagh, Fayne, Fowler, and Shattenkirk were last year. Shatty and McDonagh were not at the same level of play last year that they are now...they both were very good, but this year those two have become top 10 players for the US with both very likely making the team in 2014...

also, last years squad had Wilson, Fayne, and Komisarek, and all 3 are major steps below the 8 I listed above. there is a big jump in talent from those three to Bogosian, Goligoski, and McBain/Faulk....and its not really that close imo..

last years team didnt fail on defense, we had some solid young guys there, we just had a terrible lack of offense, a poor system (Gordon sucks as a coach), and no top flight goalie to make a big save every now and again.

I expect a much better performance as long as we can land 2-3 of the Stastny, Stafford, Pominville, Kessel, Larose, Slater, Mueller group...we should be just fine offensively..

as a super sleeper, wouldnt mind Eric Nystrom on the fourth line either...him or David Moss could be solid veterans with grit and scoring ability to help out on the third/fourth lines..

this year whether we get Montoya and or Miller...with Bachman or Campbell...I like our goaltending better this year as well.

I agree with the bold. It was the reason the team failed. We had two decent NHL forwards!

Regarding the netminding situation, do you think Montoya is better this year than last year? One of the reasons you mention we did so terrible was goaltending, maybe my memory faults me, but wasn't Montoya the goalie for many of our games?

I like Nystrom. He's been excellent for Dallas this year. Assuming he accepts, I would hope he is on the team.

Old
04-07-2012, 01:37 PM
William H Bonney

Team USA

Accepted Invitation

F - Cam Atkinson (CBJ)
F - Pat Dwyer (CAR)
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Max Pacioretty (MON)
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA)
F - Nate Thompson (TBL)
----
D - Justin Faulk (CAR)
D - Cam Fowler (ANA)
D - Jack Johnson (CBJ)
D - Jeff Petry (EDM)
----
G - Richard Bachman (DAL)

Mulling Invitation

F - Blake Wheeler (WPG)

D - Zach Bogosian (WPG)

Declined Invitation

F - Erik Cole (MON)
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) *Does it really matter?*

D - Dustin Byfuglien (WPG): *Injured Foot*
D - J.M. Liles (TOR)
D - James Wisniewski (CBJ) *Rest after injury riddled season*

Available Players

F - Jason Blake (ANA)
F - Nick Bonino (ANA)
F - Adam Burish (DAL)
F - Tim Connolly (TOR)
F - Joey Crabb (TOR)
F - Jake Dowell (DAL)
F - Patrick Kaleta (BUF)
F - Phil Kessel (TOR)
F - Chad LaRose (CAR)
F - Ryan Malone (TBL)
F - Peter Mueller (COL
F - Eric Nystrom (DAL)
F - Jason Pominville (BUF)
F - Jim Slater (WPG)
F - Drew Stafford (BUF)
F - Tim Stapleton (WPG)
F - Paul Stastny (COL
F - David Steckel (TOR)
F - Lee Stempniak (CGY)
----
D - Chris Butler (CGY)
D - Mark Eaton (NYI)
D - Tom Gilbert (MIN)
D - Tim Gleason (CAR)
D - Alex Goligoski (DAL)
D - Ron Hainsey (WPG)
D - Matt Hunwick (COL)
D - Erik Johnson (COL)
D - Mike Komisarek (TOR)
D - Jordan Leopold (BUF)
D - Jamie McBain (CAR)
D - Mark Stuart (WPG)
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM)
----
G - Brian Boucher (CAR)
G - Jack Campbell (AHL)
G - Robert Esche (Switzerland)
G - Ryan Miller (BUF)
G - Al Montoya (NYI)

Unavailable Players

F - Matt Cullen (MIN) *Injury*
F - Brian Gionta (MON) *Injury*
F - Scott Gomez (MON) *Injury*
F - David Moss (CGY) *Injury*
F - Ryan Shannon (TBL) *Injury*
----
D - Jake Gardiner (TOR) *AHL Playoffs*
----
G - Rick DiPietro (NYI) *Injury*

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-08-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old
04-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Xokkeu

F - Cam Atkinson (CBJ)
F - Pat Dwyer (CAR)
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Max Pacioretty (MON)
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA)
F - Nate Thompson (TBL)

D - Justin Faulk (CAR)
D - Cam Fowler (ANA)
D - Jack Johnson (CBJ)
D - Jeff Petry (EDM)

So far from your list

Ryan (29-26-55)======= Thompson (9-6-15) ===== Okposo (23-21-44)
Pacioretty (32-31-63)==== Center ====== Dwyer (5-7-11)
LW =============== Center ======== Atkinson (5-6-11)

Last year's forwards

Stepan 21 24 45
C. Smith NCAA
JVR 21 19 40
Wheeler 18 26 44
Brown 3 5 8
Skille 8 11 19
Miele NCAA
Stapleton 5 2 7
Palmieri 9 8 17
Shannon 11 16 27
Gaustad 12 19 31

So last year we didn't have ANY players with more than 50 points and at least so far we have Ryan and Pacioretty to provide offense this year. Already looking up!

Old
04-07-2012, 04:23 PM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I agree with the bold. It was the reason the team failed. We had two decent NHL forwards!

Regarding the netminding situation, do you think Montoya is better this year than last year? One of the reasons you mention we did so terrible was goaltending, maybe my memory faults me, but wasn't Montoya the goalie for many of our games?

I like Nystrom. He's been excellent for Dallas this year. Assuming he accepts, I would hope he is on the team.
my comments about goaltending was for mainly Miller... I can live with Montoya as our goalie, but I have to believe that we can snag Montoya plus another #1 guy with a Bachman or Campbell as the #3...I love that depth more then last year..

if there is a position that the US can wait on naming all players for it is goaltending where we could snag a Craig Anderson, Jimmy Howard, Jon Quick, etc after a first round knock out...wouldnt be opposed to Schneider or Bishop either..

Old
04-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
my comments about goaltending was for mainly Miller... I can live with Montoya as our goalie, but I have to believe that we can snag Montoya plus another #1 guy with a Bachman or Campbell as the #3...I love that depth more then last year..

if there is a position that the US can wait on naming all players for it is goaltending where we could snag a Craig Anderson, Jimmy Howard, Jon Quick, etc after a first round knock out...wouldnt be opposed to Schneider or Bishop either..
Bishop was on the 2010 team interestingly enough. I do wonder if Jimmy Howard's injury issues would make him a bit of a long shot.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:08 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

another one to add to the decline list .... Ryan Malone

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-world/1224061

had hope that he would consider going with him still trying to be a viable name for the 2014 Olympics, but oh well...

Old
04-08-2012, 10:12 AM
AmericanDream
Gold or Bust!

some good news for the Stars Goligoski, Bachman, and Campbell

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...ral-stars.html

would rather have Bachman for our 3rd goalie over Campbell, but Goligoski is the big prize here...I think he comes again especially with how mobile and good our blueline can be

Old
04-08-2012, 02:52 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
some good news for the Stars Goligoski, Bachman, and Campbell

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...ral-stars.html

would rather have Bachman for our 3rd goalie over Campbell, but Goligoski is the big prize here...I think he comes again especially with how mobile and good our blueline can be
Sounds like Bachman is in:

Quote:
“I’m pretty sure he is getting invited somewhere here in the next 24 hours,” Gulutzan said. “I think the World Championships are on and that’s a credit to him.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars

USA Hockey has to get clearance from the NHL clubs so it makes sense the coach would know.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-08-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old
04-08-2012, 03:29 PM
William H Bonney

J.M. Liles declined. Don't really need a player of his ilk at this point though.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/07...with-a-stinker

Old
04-08-2012, 03:53 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

I'll take Bachman.

Closed Thread