HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kenny Jonsson

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson
What makes you think I underestimate Stevens talent? I think he was one of the greatest D-men to play the game.

If you asked me if I would take Stevens or Lidstrom I'd take Stevens any day of the week. If I was an NHL forward I'd much rather face Lidstrom than Stevens.
I only thought that because it seemed like you were implying that there were other guys who had that talent.

Regardless, you may prefer to do so, but that doesn't mean you'll score any more often. And watch opposing forwards go up against Lidstrom, they might not fear him in the same way they fear Stevens, but there's an entirely different intimidation at work. They change their gameplan just as much.

Old
02-23-2006, 02:39 AM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sft2404
Great list,but I think Uwe Kruppe might fit in there too.
Im suprised pilon does not make the d list

Old
02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
selvirino

Isles' all-time D would be an interesting thread in and of itself. In the context of where Kenny would rank, I'd put the list together like this

1. Potvin -- he'd play in anyone's all-time top 6, right?

2. Morrow -- unreal defensive defenseman, great with position and stick, underrated physically, overtime scoring expert, winner

3. Langevin -- it got to the point where forwards just wouldn't skate into the zone along the boards if it was his side of the ice

4/5. Kenny Jonsson -- smooth, great with stick, nice first pass out of zone, plays in all situations

4/5. Persson -- a lot like Jonsson, smooth, plays in all situations, maybe a bit better offensively, maybe not quite as solid defensively (hard to say since his forwards made playing defense so much easier than for Jonsson)

6. Aucoin -- plays in all situations, not a punishing hitter, but a physical warrior and leader on the ice

7. Krupp -- very good defensively, not always as physical as you'd think due to his size, but was a presence out there.

8. Tomas Jonsson -- amazing powerplay guy, not bad defensively although a bit smallish

Honorable mention: Vaske -- if he had stayed healthy I could see him as a very good #2 defensive defenseman who'd clear the crease and do the dirty work.

Maybe that's too much to write in a Kenny Jonsson thread to just say that I'd put him on the cusp of the top 4 all-time pairing, but there you have it.

Old
02-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Leo Naphta

Kenny was actually voted best defenseman of the tournament by the IIHF-directorate. Pretty good considering that he plays in the Swedish second tier...

http://www.iihf.com/news/OG06/torino1100.htm

Old
02-26-2006, 06:17 PM
larsmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Naphta
Kenny was actually voted best defenseman of the tournament by the IIHF-directorate. Pretty good considering that he plays in the Swedish second tier...

http://www.iihf.com/news/OG06/torino1100.htm
I was angry at BÅG when he took Kenny Jönsson out for this tournament but I am so happy now that he did. He was together with Lidström and Hävelid our best defencemen, amazing that one can do that after playing in the Swedish 2nd tier.

Kenny Jönsson

Old
02-27-2006, 07:36 AM
NYIsles1*

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ey.alltourney/

Michael Farber picks SI.com's Olympic hockey All-Tournament Team.

D: Kenny Jonsson, Sweden: The former New York Islanders blueliner returned to a Swedish second division team in his hometown during the lockout and never looked back. In a magical 12 days, he went from playing on a team with a real estate agent, a gardener and other part-timers to Olympic gold medalist. Stunning. Said Mats Sundin, "That must be a pretty good league."

Old
02-28-2006, 04:30 PM
TrampsLikeUs

Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
Congrats to Kenny on his gold medal. I'm a Rangers fan, but I know that he was a very popular player for you guys. I was sad to see him decline to return to the NHL because of concussions (I've had too much experience watching Lindros). I know Kenny was my silly Isles fan brother's favorite player. So congrats Kenny, and thanks for helping out my boy Lundy (not that he needs it )

Old
02-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Bones45

who mentioned Diduck?

How about Gordie Dineen too?

LOL

Old
02-28-2006, 07:45 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansky1213
Congrats to Kenny on his gold medal. I'm a Rangers fan, but I know that he was a very popular player for you guys. I was sad to see him decline to return to the NHL because of concussions (I've had too much experience watching Lindros). I know Kenny was my silly Isles fan brother's favorite player. So congrats Kenny, and thanks for helping out my boy Lundy (not that he needs it )
He did not decline returning to the NHL because of concussions, in fact his last few Islander years he had no problems along those lines. Congrats to Kenny Jonsson named best defender in the tournament and helping Sweden win gold.

Funny but on the Islanders telecast tonight Howie Rose said he was interviewing Blake who spoke with Jonsson during the Olympics and Howie was pushing hard in the interview to find out if Jonsson would return someday.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 02-28-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Closed Thread