HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
digmor crusher

vCash: 500
If Lafleur was President it would be a disaster, don't want anyone near this team as GM without at least some experience as an assistant GM at the very least. Hiring an ex-player with no GM experience would be like Apple hiring as their next CEO some guy at an Apple store who sells computers.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

It's reassuring to see how many quality bilingual names are out there rumoured to be either interviewed or candidates of interest for the position of Habs' GM.

For that reason, it's in my opinion absolutely no surprise to see that no one who doesn't speak French is making the list... and that's a good thing in this market.

As most here have agreed in the past, at similar talent/qualification, bilingualism should be a deciding factor and that's what we're seeing.

I'm excited by the process as there are several candidates who I feel might do a great job. It will all boil down to interviews, which candidate shares the same vision as the Savard/Molson tandem when it comes to style of players, coaches, etc.

Last but not least, it's ridiculous the thought that Pat Brisson is not qualified. People were saying the same about Mike Gillis in Vancouver as many fans were very concerned. You'd be hard pressed to find a Canucks' fan not happy with Gillis' decisions thus far, including when he spoke to Vigneault asking him to change his style of coaching and while providing him with players to play a more offensive system.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
GM - Lafleur
Coach - Roy
Captain - Subban
Assistant Captain - Sign Avery
Assistant Captain - Reacquire Lapierre

Team Psychotic and Entertaining Classless Trolls
I accept.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
articles like this make me puke.
**** you chocula
**** you vegan skeletor

finally rid ourselves of being the montreal senators
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...t-pas-le-choix
Yep. Thing is, this Gainey-Gauthier era is far from being done. We will have to live with some of those decisions for some years. Just personnally happy that I won't see their faces around the team anymore.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
You're lumping McGuire with Melrose, Milbury, Roenick and all the ex-players co-hosting on NHL Network or NBC. When I listen to guys like McGuire or McKenzie, I hear thoughtful people who mostly have spot-on analysis. Are they always right? No. But when I hear guys like Tremblay or those other people you are referring to, they sound poorly educated. That's just an impression but I would not feel comfortable with them in charge or running a business. That's where I draw the line.

I do a lot of interviewing and there are qualities outside of direct, specific experience that you have to consider. Why? Because most candidates will have no relevant experience so you have to consider other things. I don't even consider assistant-GM to be a slam-dunk because did Brisebois or Bergevin sit in the big chair and make the final decision? No. So how can I judge their body of work? Based on someone else's work?

Ideally, how many people are we talking about that would be an absolute unanimously-approved choice? There are 29 GMs. Those are the guys in charge. Out of those 29, we probably admire only a few based on how their teams have been built and how they perform. That leaves you a handful. Out of what's left, how many are available?

If your answer is greater than 0, the Habs should not even bother interviewing McGuire or some of those other guys we're talking about.

My guess is that the answer is 0 (at least for now until maybe some team is eliminated). That means we're hiring someone who is not a GM right now. Therefore, that person will have to be hired based on criteria other than specific GM experience.

Why are people entertaining Brisson as a GM and McGuire gets all the hate?
Don't insult Mckenzie by lumping that blowhard McGuire in with him.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yep. Thing is, this Gainey-Gauthier era is far from being done. We will have to live with some of those decisions for some years. Just personnally happy that I won't see their faces around the team anymore.
I'll personally be glad to see Gorges and Pacioretty with the team for the next few years.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

McGuire has to be a candidate. Not saying he HAS to get the job, 'cause for me it's all about being interviewed, sharing your plan and all.....but while he has his detractors, he is a knowledgeable guy.

Now strangely, if we go that way though, which is media oriented, maybe we should have a thought for another guy from the medias....Dany Dubé.

Now, I am not saying for GM. Not even saying for Coach. But at this point, I know he's been out of active hockey for quite some time, but I have no doubt he could bring some tactical advices to a coach who might need some.

And hire Stéphane Leroux as a Q scout.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
I'll personally be glad to see Gorges and Pacioretty with the team for the next few years.
You know my take on the draft picks. Great, so Gainey has Gorges. But Pacioretty is solely on Timmins. But I'd bet you'd be glad with McDonagh as well and a few others....

Old
04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Especially after they showed you up on keeping Carey Price.

Time for you to move on. They're gone and they left us with numerous assets from good decisions too. Time to build on what we have. The cupboards are far from empty like what often happens during front office purges around the league.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Especially after they showed you up on keeping Carey Price.

Time for you to move on. They're gone and they left us with numerous assets from good decisions too. Time to build on what we have. The cupboards are far from empty like what often happens during front office purges around the league.
Them keeping Price will never prove anything. My point stands. We will never know if we wouldn't have been better with Halak AND Price's return. And I'm not downplaying Price's play which has been very good.

Moving on? Well, I can tell you that Gainey's and Gauthier's fans will be the first to come in this board if one of their players' are doing great to tell us how great they are. And that's fine. I keep repeating that a GM's job often is being noticed way after they are gone. But so will their mistakes. So moving on we will do. But I will be real hard watching some of our ex's play great elsewhere and some for a lot of years to come. Only one thing will make us move on....winning.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Them keeping Price will never prove anything. My point stands. We will never know if we wouldn't have been better with Halak AND Price's return. And I'm not downplaying Price's play which has been very good.

Moving on? Well, I can tell you that Gainey's and Gauthier's fans will be the first to come in this board if one of their players' are doing great to tell us how great they are. And that's fine. I keep repeating that a GM's job often is being noticed way after they are gone. But so will their mistakes. So moving on we will do. But I will be real hard watching some of our ex's play great elsewhere and some for a lot of years to come. Only one thing will make us move on....winning.
It happens to every team and every GM. The guy advising our GM search made a few awful trades of his own and couldn't draft to save his life during the second half of his tenure (I know the GM doesn't draft but he was in charge of the staff and the philosophy which included the Habs not conducting interviews with players).

It's a new chapter. Focus on the present and future rather than whine about a past that really wasn't as bad as you suggest.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
It happens to every team and every GM. The guy advising our GM search made a few awful trades of his own and couldn't draft to save his life during the second half of his tenure (I know the GM doesn't draft but he was in charge of the staff and the philosophy which included the Habs not conducting interviews with players).

It's a new chapter. Focus on the present and future rather than whine about a past that really wasn't as bad as you suggest.
Thing is, there are no other teams in the league who sees so many of his exes do as good as we do. I keep asking for people to give me teams that has so many of those players, and nobody ever did. And again, there might be one. I'm just certain that we are at worst top 3. Which isn't good. And then, well we will agree to disagree. It is as bad as I suggest for one good reason. We have the best scout in the business. Who does have his flaws that I've already discussed, yet, he is still the best. So....how can you have the best head scout, with the best record, and be where we are at? It had to mean that the respective GM's succesfully happen to "compensate" for our head scout great work. But then, again, we will clearly agree to disagree on that. And don't worry. Everybody will move on at one point. But geez, this season isn't even done yet. And we still have no idea of who will take charge of this team so that past management deserve all the post-mortem they should get. And especially since they won't have it after our team's elimination, probably the best thing that both guys think about being fired.....

Old
04-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Iwishihadacup

Please please not Carbonneau again

Old
04-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Thing is, there are no other teams in the league who sees so many of his exes do as good as we do. I keep asking for people to give me teams that has so many of those players, and nobody ever did. And again, there might be one. I'm just certain that we are at worst top 3. Which isn't good. And then, well we will agree to disagree. It is as bad as I suggest for one good reason. We have the best scout in the business. Who does have his flaws that I've already discussed, yet, he is still the best. So....how can you have the best head scout, with the best record, and be where we are at? It had to mean that the respective GM's succesfully happen to "compensate" for our head scout great work. But then, again, we will clearly agree to disagree on that. And don't worry. Everybody will move on at one point. But geez, this season isn't even done yet. And we still have no idea of who will take charge of this team so that past management deserve all the post-mortem they should get. And especially since they won't have it after our team's elimination, probably the best thing that both guys think about being fired.....
Having the best scouts in the business also means that we're going to have to turn over more players than any other team. We can only dress 20 players. I know we iced the 28th place team in the league this season but this season has been an anomaly and even the Flyers and Devils have had seasons like this one as it happens in a salary cap era if you get a slow start and some bad breaks.

Anyway, the whining about the purged regime is getting old in my opinion. But to each his own. I'm more concerned with who will be the next Habs GM because there are some very risky candidates on the lists I'm seeing.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Regrettably he has great strategic coaching skills, but apparently abysmal communication skills.
His strategic coaching skills were abysmal.

He was basically Randy Cunneyworth with a really, really, really good PP. His teams were awful at evens.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Well, Brisson was the third player on a line that included Robitaille. Lets not make Brisson more than he was.....most of his points where acquires just for being there (on that line)....
Nope! That famous line was Made of Guy Rouleau (who past away few years ago and was the leading scorer in the league at that time) Luc Robitaille and Benoit Brunet. Pat brisson migth have been on the same team at the same time though...

Old
04-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Please please not Carbonneau again
This

Quote:

Now strangely, if we go that way though, which is media oriented, maybe we should have a thought for another guy from the medias....Dany Dubé.

Now, I am not saying for GM. Not even saying for Coach. But at this point, I know he's been out of active hockey for quite some time, but I have no doubt he could bring some tactical advices to a coach who might need some.

And hire Stéphane Leroux as a Q scout.
And this. I just can't understand why Dubé never had a position in the NHL at least as an assistant. The guy's a great hockeymind.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:10 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I can go with:

Brisson GM
Timmins Assistant GM

Edit: Brisson as GM(not bergevin, made a typo). Business saavy and contract smarts with a guy who's got an eye for talent.
saves me from typing my preference.

good picks

Old
04-06-2012, 03:30 AM
BlackStar

I get it, we have a lot of our drafted players doing well for other teams. It's hard to watch, I get it. But come on, do we have to whine about it in every post? Sigh.

Yes we will still face the consequences of the bad moves from the Gainey/Gautheir era. But at-least they are gone now, so can some of you be a little happy about that? Also, our future is still fairly bright even with all the bad moves. So let's at-least try talking about the future as much as we like to complaining about the past.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:06 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
here's an example, Detroit :
Mike Sillinger, Adam Graves, Murray Craven, Mike Knuble, Fleischmann, Quincey, considering they havent produced many regular NHlers the last 6 / 7 years, that's a lot (somewhat)

Old
04-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
here's an example, Detroit :
Mike Sillinger, Adam Graves, Murray Craven, Mike Knuble, Fleischmann, Quincey, considering they havent produced many regular NHlers the last 6 / 7 years, that's a lot (somewhat)

Timmins drafted 18...eleven have been shipped out. Most of them for nothing or next to nothing. Doesn't even compare.

From 03 to 07

Andrei (for a 2nd rd pick)
O'byrne (for a future AHL - Palushaj)
Lapierre (a 5th rd)
Halak (Eller)
Chip (a 5th rd)
Grabvoski (a 2nd gone & Pateryn)
Streit (a gift to the league)
Lats (Pouliot - gone)
D'agostini (Bournival)
Sergei K (another gift to the league)
McDonagh (another gift to the league)

I won't even mention the non Timmins players like Ryder, Beauchemin, Hainsay and on and on.

I'm not against trading drafted players. Sometimes you end up with a surplus in a certain position. So I can see converting that surplus into an asset in a weak position. But those two morons Gainey/Gauthier didn't do that.

When you couple that with the putrid trading of BOTH Gauthier & Gainey and the completely clueless UFA signings (Samsonov says hello) and these two bozos would make Houle look like a not-too-bad GM.

Last edited by Habs Icing: 04-06-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 08:41 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Timmins drafted 18...eleven have been shipped out. Most of them for nothing or next to nothing. Doesn't even compare.

From 03 to 07

Andrei (for a 2nd rd pick)
O'byrne (for a future AHL - Palushaj)
Lapierre (a 5th rd)
Halak (Eller)
Chip (a 5th rd)
Grabvoski (a 2nd gone & Pateryn)
Streit (a gift to the league)
Lats (Pouliot - gone)
D'agostini (Bournival)
Sergei K (another gift to the league)
McDonagh (another gift to the league)

I won't even mention the non Timmins players like Ryder, Beauchemin, Hainsay and on and on.

I'm not against trading drafted players. Sometimes you end up with a surplus in a certain position. So I can see converting that surplus into an asset in a weak position. But those two morons Gainey/Gauthier didn't do that.

When you couple that with the putrid trading of BOTH Gauthier & Gainey and the completely clueless UFA signings (Samsonov says hello) and these two bozos would make Houle look like a not-too-bad GM.
just a little correction as o'byrne was traded to colorado for bournival and palushaj was traded for d'agostini

Old
04-06-2012, 09:24 AM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 300
GM : Steve Yzerman
Ass. GM : Larry Carrière
Ass. GM : Julien Brisebois
Coach : Patrick Roy
Ass. Coach : whoever he wants really

Old
04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
You know my take on the draft picks. Great, so Gainey has Gorges. But Pacioretty is solely on Timmins. But I'd bet you'd be glad with McDonagh as well and a few others....
My point (tongue in cheek) was that Gainey gave Timmins the opportunity to pick Pacioretty by getting a first and Gorges for... Craig Rivet!

Ultimately what I'm saying is that while fans will focus on the negative only about the Gainey/Gauthier era, they both did some good things as well. I say that and I can't stand Gauthier and I hate the Gomez trade...

Old
04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
My point (tongue in cheek) was that Gainey gave Timmins the opportunity to pick Pacioretty by getting a first and Gorges for... Craig Rivet!

they both did some good things as well.
Anymore goodness from those two and we would be relegated to the AHL.

Closed Thread