HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't give me this BS that you don't want the Presidents' Trophy

Old
04-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
I'm not scared of the current Capitals. I'm just scared of "The Capitals". They've had our number for the last 3 playoffs that we've been in. I just feel like they'll step their game up and possibly knock us out.

I'm not one to really believe in fate, but a roll reversal between us and the Caps making them the "underdogs" was just bound to happen. I can't believe that when we get the 1st seed, we're gonna have to play them.

Just like you guys were afraid of signing Richards because of the tag "Big Free Agent in NY", I'm afraid of playing the Capitals, not because of their roster and how they're playing this year, but because they're the Capitals.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
I'm not scared of the current Capitals. I'm just scared of "The Capitals". They've had our number for the last 3 playoffs that we've been in. I just feel like they'll step their game up and possibly knock us out.

I'm not one to really believe in fate, but a roll reversal between us and the Caps making them the "underdogs" was just bound to happen. I can't believe that when we get the 1st seed, we're gonna have to play them.

Just like you guys were afraid of signing Richards because of the tag "Big Free Agent in NY", I'm afraid of playing the Capitals, not because of their roster and how they're playing this year, but because they're the Capitals.
Caps are a highly inconsistent team with questionable goaltending. Why are we worried about them again? This season's Rangers team has played on a different level than any team we have watched over the past several seasons.... There is no denying that...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Who's scared of the Caps? If you can't beat the Caps in the 1st round, your team has no business competing for the Stanley Cup in the later rounds. Brings 'em on.
Agreed. Still would rather have Florida. However, I don't want to lose to get Florida. Also if we win in the first round I'd rather play the Devils than the winner of the Philly-Pitt matchup. So if Florida at 3 helps us get that, it may not be that bad.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:57 PM
M0rbid

Quote:

The first series had a lot to do with Rangers beating themselves. I mean they were 1 win away from advancing. If they had Gaborik on that team, it would've been over in 5.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Caps are a highly inconsistent team with questionable goaltending. Why are we worried about them again? This season's Rangers team has played on a different level than any team we have watched over the past several seasons.... There is no denying that...
Like I said, I'm just scared cuz they're the Caps.

Even though Richards was clearly not another Redden or Drury, fans were scared to sign him.

This Caps team isn't the Caps of last year, but I'm still a bit scared to play them.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:58 PM
NHL94com*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
No one's saying that winning the cup is not the most important thing. However winning the cup and being a Presidents' Trophy winner are not mutually exclusive. Don't tell me you don't want be the best team in a 30 team league after a marathon 82 game season. This is not the NFL where you can have a fluky 16 games, you play 82 games, there's nothing fluky about that. There's nothing better IMO than to be the best team in the league for 82 games and win the Cup. That means you were the best team from October through June. Nothing more dominant than that. If we win the cup I want to be the Presidents' Trophy winners when we do it. If we lose in the playoffs I'd rather have the consolation prize of being the Presidents' Trophy. I'd rather be the 92 Rangers than any other Rangers team that lost in the playoffs that wasn't in the finals at the very least. Why does everyone on HF think it's cool to say that the PT means nothing? Today's game sure as hell meant something.
Thank you.

I am proud of the fact that the 1992 Rangers won the Presidents Trophy even though they lost in round 2 to Pittsburgh. It DOES mean something. It's an accomplishment to be proud of. Playoffs are fluky, and you need a lot of luck ton win the Stanley Cup. The best team doesn't always win it, look at last year. The Canucks were clearly the best team but Boston lucked out. It doesn't take away though that the Canucks were the best team in the regular season over a grueling 82 game schedule.

NHL94com* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I am proud of the regular season performance regardless of what happens in the post season. These players gave us 6 months of exciting and entertaining hockey... That's a huge chunk of the fan experience from season to season.... I'm confident they will batlle hard in the playoffs.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL94com View Post
Thank you.

I am proud of the fact that the 1992 Rangers won the Presidents Trophy even though they lost in round 2 to Pittsburgh. It DOES mean something. It's an accomplishment to be proud of. Playoffs are fluky, and you need a lot of luck ton win the Stanley Cup. The best team doesn't always win it, look at last year. The Canucks were clearly the best team but Boston lucked out. It doesn't take away though that the Canucks were the best team in the regular season over a grueling 82 game schedule.
eh, it's not often that a team is lucky in a 7 game series. The team who wins a 7 game series is usually the better team. You don't win those 16 games that easily.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:12 PM
MorrisWanchuk

We aspire to be winners.

We aspire to be dominant.

We do not back in to the playoffs.

We should have enough self-esteem to see it as our right to win that trophy.

.... Plus I got tickets for Sat and I want it to be a fun night.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

The presidents trophy is not that important. Sure it guarantees home ice if both 1 seeds meet up in the Stanley Cup, but the odds of that happening are slim. The two one seeds have only met up once in the past 10 Stanley Cups; the last time being in 2001.

It would be nice to win, but winning it doesn't mean we're a lock for the Stanley cup. By losing to Washington, on saturday, we would probably face the much easier opponent, Florida. At this point we should worry about winning our first round match up instead of worrying about home ice advantage in a matchup that most likely won't even happen.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:17 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Wait a sec:

Vokoun is injured;

Neuvirth as well.

...I take that back. Go for the kill on Saturday!

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:19 PM
NickyMaz

Yeah, I'd love for us to win the President's Trophy, let's win as much hardware as we can!

NickyMaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:19 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Well I don't know if you're talking about a series in the 90s because since the lockout we only played them twice. In 09, there are exactly 5 players remaining from that team. Last year we didn't have Callahan and Richards, and Gaborik wasn't very good and was probably playing injured.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:26 PM
ThisYearsModel

Yep. Now that Vancouver lost to Calgary, we should get it. A win over the Caps gives us the trophy regardless of Vancouver or St. Louis because of ROW. The max that any of those 3 teams can get is 111.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:31 PM
asphyXy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Wait a sec:

Vokoun is injured;

Neuvirth as well.

...I take that back. Go for the kill on Saturday!
So we'll get swept by a Hasek-esque performance from Holtby.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:32 PM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
So we'll get swept by a Hasek-esque performance from Holtby.
Oh yeah, forgot about our luck against backups.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:33 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Forget that.......rest some players......pack it in against washington and hope carolina beats the panthers. Washington wins and panthers lose and we get panthers in round one.
If Ottawa loses in regulation and the Caps beat the Rangers in any fashion, we get Ottawa in the first round.

The Caps are a dangerous team on offense with all of their offensive weapons healthy and in the lineup---and that has been the case for only 12 games this season...in which the Caps are 11-1.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:40 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
If Ottawa loses in regulation and the Caps beat the Rangers in any fashion, we get Ottawa in the first round.

The Caps are a dangerous team on offense with all of their offensive weapons healthy and in the lineup---and that has been the case for only 12 games this season...in which the Caps are 11-1.
That's a tiny sample size. Maybe not insignificant, but that doesn't mean they'd be running away with the Presidents' Trophy if they were all healthy.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
MorrisWanchuk

I think our guys would relish a matchup vs Caps. If we win we exorcise some demons and put things right.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, let's not forget the Pens playing the Sens in 06-07 and getting throttled and then the same Pens sweeping the same Sens a year later. The Sens were a huge disappointment that year much like the Caps are this year.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:05 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
BTW, let's not forget the Pens playing the Sens in 06-07 and getting throttled and then the same Pens sweeping the same Sens a year later. The Sens were a huge disappointment that year much like the Caps are this year.
Bruins beating the Flyers last year after getting beat badly by them the year before is another example.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:10 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Oh yeah, forgot about our luck against backups.
We shallhave NONE of this nonsense this time, nope. Somehow we will score 45 goals in 1 shot

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Holtby's only good asset is playing the puck. Everything else about his goaltending isn't so great. Big rebounds, bad positioning. A SC contender should be able to light him up.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:44 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
we win our last game we clinch the presidents trophy right?

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:47 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
we win our last game we clinch the presidents trophy right?