That one lit my fuse

DSP is awesome though

Old
04-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Selanne138

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Fair enough. Would be pretty nice to win the lottery. Yakupov at #1, Murray at #2 probably. Of course Nail looks like the real gem. He seems to be in his own class.
Exactly my thoughts. Even though wingers are probably the biggest strength in our system I agree that Yakupov seems way too good to pass up, he could make an instant impact. I wonder who Murray values higher Grigorenko or Murray? Could depend on how the Schultz situation turns out.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
The two players most detrimental to our season, screw us one more time
I'm assuming one is Getzlaf, but who is the other?

Old
04-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Ryan.

I can't believe people are crying over a win.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
I'm voting Lydman with a side of Ryan and Visnovsky for dessert.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Even though wingers are probably the biggest strength in our system I agree that Yakupov seems way too good to pass up, he could make an instant impact. I wonder who Murray values higher Grigorenko or Murray? Could depend on how the Schultz situation turns out.
Personally, I like Murray better for two reasons. 1) I value defense highly. I think a great blue line can take you further than a great top six. A defenseman can play 25-30 minutes a game, and be influential offensively and defensively. A forward can be a three-zone player too, but it's less common. 2). I like Murray's compete level. I've seen a bit of him, and you can see him out there trying to carry his team. His numbers aren't as impressive as, say, Fowler, but he doesn't have nearly the same quality of team either. There is something to be said for a player who goes out there and tries to be the best guy on the ice. Grigorenko's compete level reminds me a bit of Getzlaf. He can be as good as he wants, but has a tendency to get complacent. I think Anaheim has enough of that mentality already.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:38 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Ryan.

if we win we win if not better draft pick.

what bugs me is (getzy and ryan) are heating up at the end of season when it doesn't matter. i guess it is the timing of their effort.

Last edited by gratefulyours: 04-06-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old
04-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
if we win we win if not better draft pick.

what bugs me is they are heating up at the end of season when it doesn't matter. i guess it is the timing of their effort.
They aren't heating up. They are beating the teams they match up well with and playing like the 5-9 seed team they would be if Hiller had been healthy in the fall otherwise.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:42 PM
illpucks

Ryan needs 1 more to hit the 30 goal mark again....hope he gets it @ Calgary

Old
04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Personally, I like Murray better for two reasons. 1) I value defense highly. I think a great blue line can take you further than a great top six. A defenseman can play 25-30 minutes a game, and be influential offensively and defensively. A forward can be a three-zone player too, but it's less common. 2). I like Murray's compete level. I've seen a bit of him, and you can see him out there trying to carry his team. His numbers aren't as impressive as, say, Fowler, but he doesn't have nearly the same quality of team either. There is something to be said for a player who goes out there and tries to be the best guy on the ice. Grigorenko's compete level reminds me a bit of Getzlaf. He can be as good as he wants, but has a tendency to get complacent. I think Anaheim has enough of that mentality already.
Thanks for the info, I really havent watched either outside of their performances at the World Juniors. Definitely have read the reports on Grigorenko's consistancy so Murray might be the better option. We have needs at both positions and I 100% agree that I would rather have strength in defense than strength at forward. Defense wins championships. Seems like wed be lucky to land either player, so if we can finish Top 3 itd be a huge boost, as Id imagine a lot of teams would take Grig at 2.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Ryan.

Yes.

You know who should be pissed though? Calgary fans. Will quite possibly be going for the worst possible finish position again this year.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Ryan.

That's what I figured, but I just wanted to make sure. I get why people are unhappy with the performance Ryan gave this year, but looking at what scuttled our season, I don't see how Ryan becomes the scapegoat. Is he to blame for our power play sucking ***** ass? No. Did he cause Hiller's struggles in the first half? No. Did he cause us to have a threadbare bottom six before Boudreau rebuilt those lines? No. The struggles of our two rookie D-men? The struggles of our top two vet d-men? The struggles of our top playmaker? No, no, and probably not.

If Bobby gets traded, he'll have himself to blame, but it won't be because he cost us the season.

I can't believe people are crying over a win, but even more surprised that people are crying about potentially picking 6th or 7th in a top-heavy draft.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I really havent watched either outside of their performances at the World Juniors. Definitely have read the reports on Grigorenko's consistancy so Murray might be the better option. We have needs at both positions and I 100% agree that I would rather have strength in defense than strength at forward. Defense wins championships. Seems like wed be lucky to land either player, so if we can finish Top 3 itd be a huge boost, as Id imagine a lot of teams would take Grig at 2.
It probably won't come to that. In all likelihood the Ducks will be picking a few spots later, where Dumba, Trouba, Forsberg, or Galchenyuk is a more realistic option. I just know who I'd pick first or second. We can dream, right? That would definitely help make up for this season though, and I'd expect the team to rebound next season... hopefully with a young new addition trying to make the team(but probably needing a bit more time).

Old
04-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
It probably won't come to that. In all likelihood the Ducks will be picking a few spots later, where Dumba, Trouba, Forsberg, or Galchenyuk is a more realistic option. I just know who I'd pick first or second. We can dream, right? That would definitely help make up for this season though, and I'd expect the team to rebound next season... hopefully with a young new addition trying to make the team(but probably needing a bit more time).
Agreed, its realistic we will pick around 5-7. But hey until we are officially there its more fun to think about winning the lottery .

Im not too sold on Forsberg, but I wouldnt mind any of the other three you mentioned. I really like Galchenyuk and Dumba and Trouba would both be very nice additions to our prospect pool. I like Murray more than all three though, so hopefully we can get a Fowler esque steal if we are picking a bit lower.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:04 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
They aren't heating up. They are beating the teams they match up well with and playing like the 5-9 seed team they would be if Hiller had been healthy in the fall otherwise.
they did not play like the 5 to 9 seed tonight. was a horrible game play wise.

and getz has been playing much better the last two weeks.

ryan has been blamed for being invisible all season. i don't agree with this, but he didn't start scoring again until we were pretty much done with a playoff run.

blame an unhealthy hiller all you want, but this team played like crap until (1) they were threatened with trades and (2) after any playoff chance was possible. no where in between.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:05 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

Quote:
i'm hoping for galchenyuk personally but i know many want a d-man and understand that.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
they did not play like the 5 to 9 seed tonight. was a horrible game play wise.

and getz has been playing much better the last two weeks.

ryan has been blamed for being invisible all season. i don't agree with this, but he didn't start scoring again until we were pretty much done with a playoff run.

blame an unhealthy hiller all you want, but this team played like crap until (1) they were threatened with trades and (2) after any playoff chance was possible. no where in between.
They are 4-5-1 in their last 10. The wins are evenly balanced over that stretch. That's not "heating up". Edmonton is just a bad team.

And personally I feel they burned out after playing at such a high level through January and February rather than quitting when it no longer mattered. Feel free to disagree.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:23 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Bobby "I play 3 hard shifts a game" Ryan

those two sunk us with their lackadasical starts to the season.

I guess they are afraid of some young hungry player being drafted and coming in to make them look bad

Old
04-06-2012, 12:30 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
They are 4-5-1 in their last 10. The wins are evenly balanced over that stretch. That's not "heating up". Edmonton is just a bad team.

And personally I feel they burned out after playing at such a high level through January and February rather than quitting when it no longer mattered. Feel free to disagree.
i said getzy and ryan are heating up not the team; and the team started playing better again as soon as the playoffs were out of reach. feel free to disagree.

original post was they as in getz and ryan not the team. my bad

Last edited by gratefulyours: 04-06-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
i said getzy and ryan are heating up not the team; and the team started playing better again as soon as the playoffs were out of reach. feel free to disagree, but read what i'm writing first.
You said they, in response to a post about the team winning, you cant say it was at all clear who you were referring to.

The team did more or less start playing once the playoffs were out of reach, but there were a number of problems, not just Getzlaf and Ryan. Hiller's play in the first couple months was possibly the biggest reason we are where we are.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Bobby "I play 3 hard shifts a game" Ryan

those two sunk us with their lackadasical starts to the season.

I guess they are afraid of some young hungry player being drafted and coming in to make them look bad
You're right. At least, if you ignore the facts. Hiller was terrible in the first half. You could easily argue he cost Anaheim more wins than any individual player the first 2+ months. Lydman and Visnovsky had undeniably poor seasons. Our PP was terrible. I could keep going. Fowler's offensive numbers, poor depth, etc etc... Getzlaf and Ryan were part of the problem. They weren't the only problem, and you'd have to squint real hard to see them as the difference between the playoffs and a lottery pick.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:40 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

Quote:
You said they, in response to a post about the team winning, you cant say it was at all clear who you were referring to.

The team did more or less start playing once the playoffs were out of reach, but there were a number of problems, not just Getzlaf and Ryan. Hiller's play in the first couple months was possibly the biggest reason we are where we are.
referring to the 5 to 9 seed part of the post for this last game...not to the team heating up. that was restricted to getz and ryan only in my posts.

ahh i see what your saying my bad...they was not about the team, ill edit it. the response was to the quote about ryan and getz which is why i thought "they" would suffice for my comment about them heating up now.

Last edited by gratefulyours: 04-06-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 12:44 AM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesseracT View Post
Everybody who wished me a Happy Birthday is welcome to my Gamecenter name and password.
Just wanted to say thanks Tessrac! Papaspud and I were happy to be able to watch after all

Old
04-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
i said getzy and ryan are heating up not the team; and the team started playing better again as soon as the playoffs were out of reach. feel free to disagree, but read what i'm writing first.
I misinterpreted what you meant by "they", sorry. It's not really clear because you were talking about A player (Ryan) then used the term "they", I assumed the plural meant team I think Getzlaf has actually been working hard most of the year but just not playing well for whatever reason (I ascribe to the screaming baby no sleep theory myself, especially after the comments BB made last week). Can't be too mad when the results finally match the effort. Ryan I agree is too invisible this year. Streaky vs unmotivated vs intentional tank to get away from RC, I have no idea.

And if you actually look at the schedule after the trade deadline, they won the good match ups, lost the bad ones, and lost a couple due to officiating and hot goalies. They never went on a prolonged streak, they lost a couple then went to 0.500 hockey.

Edit - just saw the other posts, wasn't trying to pile on, I just type slowly. Ask sojourn

Closed Thread