HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#81 KINGS v SHARKS, 4/5/12, OT Loss T&T ... Sharks steal one @ Staples

Old
04-06-2012, 02:05 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
In honor of Couture:

Seriously. He went down like a house of cards on the nudge by Clifford.

The 5-minute major at the end of the period... Couture went straight to the locker room with around 30 seconds on the clock. I didn't see a ref check him out, but they awarded the 5-minute penalty anyway.

Is that strategy by SJ? Couture knows he's not seeing the ice again that period so why not get a head start to the locker room and force the refs to hand out a major penalty?

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 04-06-2012 at 02:16 AM.
RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:06 AM
damacles1156

Well scuds skated right too Quick after the loss when quick was kneeling.

I think Scuds probably said sorry, about how much suck scuds game was tonight.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:06 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
This game should not have gone to a shootout. In all honesty, the Kings outplayed the Sharks, but they beat themselves with their lazy/stupid penalties that they committed along with some questionable decision making that the Sharks capitalized on. Quick had a very poor game, it was apparent from the very first goal he let in. Can't count on him to bail the team out every night, however, this better not creep up in the playoffs for a third consecutive year.

The Kings prove once again, just like they did last year in the playoffs, that they can take the Sharks. They need to be smarter and sharper, stay out of the box, try not to shoot into a Sharks players' shin pads when he is standing directly in front of you, and clean up the PK. Quick's penalty on Moore was unnecessary and proved to be the turning point of the game. Put this loss behind them and move on to the next game and earn those two points to capture the Division title (with Phoenix hopefully losing one of their next two).
My thoughts as well. The Kings did what they have done frequently in the recent past when at a critical moment in a big game: they lost focus. You could see it happen, multiple times in the game but most crucially after they made it 3-1. You could see them collectively say "we've got this." And then reality came back and bit them in the ass.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Fishhead

Great atmosphere at Staples tonight.

It might not be popular, but Clowe is a UFA after next season, I hope we try to get him. His play was kind of bush league tonight, but the guy is total heart. I'd love to have him on this team.

The reason we lost was the team didn't adjust to the flow of the game. We tried to play the whole game like the 1st period when the Sharks were on their heels and everything was going our way. After Browns goal, that game should have been over, and it's inexcusable that the Kings let it turn into a track meet. There were also more dumb penalties from the Kings than I've seen all season. Many folks were booing, but a lot of those penalties were very blatant and obvious.

Learn from it, and next time adjust. On to Saturday and a win.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:07 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
I've never seen anything like that in 20 years of watching the nhl.

I doubt it had any real impact but who knows. Either way I think it's a disgrace.
It had a big impact.

Stoll rushing up the ice on an odd-man rush on a powerplay for starters. Getting the puck into the SJ zone would have been huge.

Now that call would have made it a 5-on-3 ... in a game with 7 powerplay goals already.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 04-06-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
We have not a player who can handle Clowe in a fight...
Not may teams do... waiting for the day that CLowe takes out Lucic in a scrap.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:15 AM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
In honor of Couture:

Tonight showed that the sharks are bigger ***** * than the ducks. Faking injuries, cheating, etc etc.

The Kings had this game, and THEY let it get away from them. This loss is more on the kings than anything else. But that no call was absolutely horrible, and there was NO excuse for missing that call. Those refs had better be reprimanded. and maybe a stick from the kings bench should make contact with clowe on saturday night...

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:17 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Hopefully they learn their lesson before the playoffs this time. I don't like their chances in run and gun games, especially without Carter. Play defense.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:18 AM
mtylerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Probably. This is just a disgrace.
At the risk of causing contention (this is a serious question) how do Kings fans feel about the run in the back on Mitchell, and the run in the back on Couture? Were those plays less disgraceful? Both plays were illegal plays, one was caught, the other was not (like the clowe play) - only unlike the clowe play, both of those actually caused injury.

IMHO, as a sharks fan, the clowe thing was ridiculous, and he should have gotten a 2 minute "two many men" penalty. But I think Kings fans are more angry at clowe for the fact that the refs didnt call the penalty. Would kings fans have been angry if he had gotten a penalty? I doubt it - they would have just laughed and thought he was a ******, and probably start chanting his name derisively. But I dont think there would have been any more anger at him than for someone closing their hand on the puck and getting caught. It's just that he got away with it, which wasn't his "fault"

So I think that its really the refs that deserve the anger - from both fanbases. Tonights game had poor officiating, IMHO.

mtylerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
As disappointing as it gets. I feel like I did after Game 3 last year in the playoffs. Just ridiculous. We dominate the Sharks, and let them squeak a win.
Man I was just so down looking at the scoreboard at 4-5 and thinking, this is just like game 3 of the playoffs last year...maybe not as dramatic, but the SOS.

And I thought to myself last year, this will be good in the long run, Kings will learn from this, yada yada yada.

They didn't learn ****. They couldn't keep their composure tonight, and their penalty kill defense took a vacation.

As far as "blame" goes, I agree with the poster above who said "I just can't blame Quick." I think blame is a really harsh word. I will say that Quick just wasn't on his game tonight...he made two unbelievable, incredible saves in the second period, but that interference call seemed to unnerve him for the remainder of the game, and he looked shaky in that third, all period long, even on some of those saves he made.

It's just an observation. I wouldn't trade the guy for any goalie in the league, ever. But all goalies are going to have off nights.

As far as the refereeing goes, well...it didn't go so well. As you all know, I won't blame the refs. But their night was just as shaky as Quick's was. My first impression of the Kopitar penalty was it was a trip, or a board...but the replay shows that the Sharks player went down on his own...but then on the replay you can't really see Kopitar's stick, so I have no idea if he tripped him or not. I know about 18,000 fans in the building were pissed.

After this brutal SO loss, the Kings are still in 3rd. Amazing.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:20 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I just can't get over how ****ing stupid Sharks fans are being about it.

Like practically congratulating Clowe about it. I mean when we had the clock malfunction I remember a few people who were like that, but there whole board right now is just acting like it was the funniest **** in the world and Clowe is awesome.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:21 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtylerjr View Post
At the risk of causing contention (this is a serious question) how do Kings fans feel about the run in the back on Mitchell, and the run in the back on Couture? Were those plays less disgraceful? Both plays were illegal plays, one was caught, the other was not (like the clowe play) - only unlike the clowe play, both of those actually caused injury.

IMHO, as a sharks fan, the clowe thing was ridiculous, and he should have gotten a 2 minute "two many men" penalty. But I think Kings fans are more angry at clowe for the fact that the refs didnt call the penalty. Would kings fans have been angry if he had gotten a penalty? I doubt it - they would have just laughed and thought he was a ******, and probably start chanting his name derisively. But I dont think there would have been any more anger at him than for someone closing their hand on the puck and getting caught. It's just that he got away with it, which wasn't his "fault"

So I think that its really the refs that deserve the anger - from both fanbases. Tonights game had poor officiating, IMHO.
I'm not angry at Clowe. Good on him for getting away with it. I'm pissed at the refs for missing that call.

As far as the hits to the back of Mitchell and Couture... the LA announcers thought Fraser hit Mitchell shoulder-to-shoulder, but I didn't see it that way. The Couture "hit" by Clifford was clearly a dive.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 04-06-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Cruel11
Maximoff

Don't get why some fans are surprised by our reaction...If it happened to their team whose trying to win their division... I doubt they would be laughing.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:24 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:

Go ask the rest of the Sharks players if they're proud to share a bench with someone who feels he has to cheat that blatantly in order to win a game. I guarantee you that at least some of his teammates are embarrassed to be associated with something like that.

As for the hits, physical play is a part of the game and a risk understood by everyone stepping out on the ice. Nobody (I think) is saying it's morally worse to play the puck from the bench than deliver an illegal hit - but it's equally or even moreso a black eye to the league because of how amateur hour it looks. As I said in the main board thread, it's like someone in a baseball dugout flipping the ball to the 3rd baseman for a good out. It simply ruins the integrity of the on-ice product.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:26 AM
ZJames

Quote:

As I see it, the Mitchell hit was a penalty. it was a late hit, and should have been called. The cross check on couture was a penalty, but i really feel like couture sold it, Clifford just gave him a little shove, and you could see in the replay that he did not drill couture into the boards like couture made it look like. That should have been a 2 minute penalty.

The refs were horrible tonight on both sides. And i have felt like the refs have been really bad this year throughout the league.

IMHO Kings fans have every right to be upset about the clowe stick. And if it had been a King who did that to the sharks, then sharks fans would be up in arms about it. That play did not decide the game, but it was a big factor at that point of the game.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:29 AM
Hollywood

I don't understand Kings fans... If a king uniform did it and got away with it there would be no problem. Get over it people.
Clowe at 3.6 million owned us. Pancakes gets 4.2. can you believe that?
Refs messed up. simple and end of story.
Perhaps we should trade for a Clowe... that would be unreal... next year

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:30 AM
The Soft Parade

This game was a ghost from the two most recent playoffs Kings have had. Defence collapsing, Quick melting. At least there was intensity and it was a great game to watch. And the Kings even had a producing PP like in the Canuks series. I liked Mithcell and Williams, but Penner was garbage as usual, and why does Doughty have to wind up for like 3 seconds every time he's about to take a slap shot?

Anyways I'm very much looking forward to Saturday, and can't help laughing when I imagine if someone really punched Clowe from the Kings bench

The Soft Parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

One thing I'd like to see... someone knock Couture out, please. That ugly, rat faced, buck toothed pansy should have his knees buckled from a real hit.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:36 AM
mtylerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
As I see it, the Mitchell hit was a penalty. it was a late hit, and should have been called. The cross check on couture was a penalty, but i really feel like couture sold it, Clifford just gave him a little shove, and you could see in the replay that he did not drill couture into the boards like couture made it look like. That should have been a 2 minute penalty.

The refs were horrible tonight on both sides. And i have felt like the refs have been really bad this year throughout the league.

IMHO Kings fans have every right to be upset about the clowe stick. And if it had been a King who did that to the sharks, then sharks fans would be up in arms about it. That play did not decide the game, but it was a big factor at that point of the game.
Im a sharks fan and I agree with everything you said.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:37 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I don't understand Kings fans... If a king uniform did it and got away with it there would be no problem. Get over it people.
Wrong. I'd be mortified at someone on my favorite team doing that. I've already seen several, maybe a dozen Sharks fan posts unconditionally condemning this and saying that they're really pissed at Clowe for doing something so ridiculous.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:41 AM
mtylerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Wrong. I'd be mortified at someone on my favorite team doing that. I've already seen several, maybe a dozen Sharks fan posts unconditionally condemning this and saying that they're really pissed at Clowe for doing something so ridiculous.
Well... it wasnt as ridiculous as this ducks player who will remain namless

Old
04-06-2012, 02:44 AM
damacles1156

You can bet the coach and the GM, are not going to be happy with Clowe.

What if this had been Game 7 of the Conference finals and the refs caught him ? Since he got away with it, I bet he will do it again.

But the coach and GM are going to give him an ear full tonight. You don't want you team or franchise to be known for plays like that.

It makes the whole team look bad. Questionable hits are part of the game, they happen. But what CLowe did is just wow, has any NHL player ever done that ?

That is like a guy running onto the field from the sidelines to tackle a ball carrier running for six, in the NFL.

Last edited by damacles1156: 04-06-2012 at 02:50 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
You could not be more wrong. Classless and unsportsmanlike are the mildest things I can say about that act. If any Kings player ever did such a thing, my respect for him would fall right through the floor.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:49 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

In last season's playoff matchup between these same two teams, Jarrett Stoll checked Ian White from behind, and the refs did not call a penalty. As a result, the NHL suspended Stoll one game for the hit.

Precedent has been set. The league has already decided that it can suspend players who get away with dirty plays.

How convenient that the next game for Clowe is vs L.A.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Shellz

Clowe cheapened the game tonight. No other way to put it. I would be livid if one of the Kings did that and embarrassed as a fan.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote