HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else excited for Holtby?

Old
04-06-2012, 01:21 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Don't think that this ability could kill his career. IMHO his experience as he becomes a more mature NHL player he'll learn to pick his spots in crucial games whether regular season/playoffs.
we have the bears fan above saying that the caps pressuring him to restrict his puck play has resulted in sub par play. thats a start down the road to ruin.

his play should stand on its own as he matures into using the added weaponry. instead if he has to use it before he learns how, he may blow his foot off.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:02 AM
HTFN

Hasn't stopped Fleury.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:03 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I am excited for Holtby. I don't care his playoff resume. Tenders are always under extreme pressure, the playoffs can only ramp it up so much more. But maybe just maybe the guys in front of him will actually give their all and clean house - play like men, and you know, actually make his job a little easier. He never had 8 helping his cause either. Not too long ago, 8 was damn near the best player in the world. He is not facing 8.

We may be jumping the gun. Let's see whats up with Neuvy. Guys play through injuries all the time.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Red Dread

What's his playoff history in the AHL?

Red Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan12837 View Post
What's his playoff history in the AHL?
2-1. 3.60 gaa. .857 sv%

excited for holtby? me too.
excited about holtby? you go ahead. not me.

i suspect had i agreed it was the second coming of cam ward, you would have flamed me for that too.

so....if vokoun or neuvirth is ready to go for game one.....you think dale is excited for holtby?

Old
04-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

lets not pretend Holtby wouldnt have AHL titles if he was goalie of those great teams.

Give the kid a shot, atleast we will know what he is made of going forward next season.

And if you are Holtby. here is your chance, you play lights out for 2 months and you can be a NHL lifer. Who says he cant go on a Ward/Roy type playoff run with the team he has infront of him. Hes playing with the houses money now.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:27 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
lets not pretend Holtby wouldnt have AHL titles if he was goalie of those great teams.

Give the kid a shot, atleast we will know what he is made of going forward next season.

And if you are Holtby. here is your chance, you play lights out for 2 months and you can be a NHL lifer. Who says he cant go on a Ward/Roy type playoff run with the team he has infront of him. Hes playing with the houses money now.
who says he can't? who says he can? thats the point.

you say holtby would have won the two ahl championships? what evidence do you have that he could have even held up to play all the games? there is none. winning with a great team still requires doing it. ask detroit. there's also the jr championship and the undefeated playoff run that ended with an injury. those were gimmes too?

playing with house money means that he has nothing to lose. if he has to play and stinks it up, you think that was nothing to lose?

you are just wrong on that account. if ovechkin scores 8 goals in the first six games of the playoffs and the caps lose 4 games to 2 because holtby couldnt stop a beachball, do you really think thats house money?

Old
04-06-2012, 09:38 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am excited for Holtby. I don't care his playoff resume. Tenders are always under extreme pressure, the playoffs can only ramp it up so much more. But maybe just maybe the guys in front of him will actually give their all and clean house - play like men, and you know, actually make his job a little easier. He never had 8 helping his cause either. Not too long ago, 8 was damn near the best player in the world. He is not facing 8.

We may be jumping the gun. Let's see whats up with Neuvy. Guys play through injuries all the time.
Hey didn't we beat the Rangers with a rookie goalie both times?

I have full confidence in Holtby and am excited for him. Also there is no one sitting over his shoulder now (assuming Neuvy doesn't make it back) and he knows he has full control of the net.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 972
If Holtby can get that glare back like Varly had make a big save early I think he will be good. It's nerve wracking regardless this season with the goalies, but like others have said I am just as confident in Holtby than anyone. Yes I'm excited for him.

Blades of steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:55 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post

He was a rookie, but don't pretend he didn't get 3 starts in the 2010 playoffs, he did; plus last year's playoffs. Holtby has upside going forward and has the ability to be 'a hot goalie' as we know, as to how ready he is for the playoffs right now, it will be interesting to watch (addn: as others who watch Hershey have noted, he didn't have a good start to the season; has settled in a bit since that time.)

Ok, I was getting a lot of questions on twitter last night and decided to type something up. No, I have no stake in anything related to SBN, but that's where I posted the goalie stuff earlier this morning.

For the details on the current goalie situation, here's the link.

As I noted, obviously, this is a lot of typing for no reason if one of Vokoun or Neuvirth is healthy enough to be available to the Washington Capitals.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 04-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
who says he can't? who says he can? thats the point.

you say holtby would have won the two ahl championships? what evidence do you have that he could have even held up to play all the games? there is none. winning with a great team still requires doing it. ask detroit. there's also the jr championship and the undefeated playoff run that ended with an injury. those were gimmes too?

playing with house money means that he has nothing to lose. if he has to play and stinks it up, you think that was nothing to lose?

you are just wrong on that account. if ovechkin scores 8 goals in the first six games of the playoffs and the caps lose 4 games to 2 because holtby couldnt stop a beachball, do you really think thats house money?
Yup bc hes a young goalie who should be in the minors right now. Last month he was our 3rd goalie and now he gets the keys to the caps playoff run.

If he plays well he can earn the job for the future
If he plays bad he was the 3rd goalie playing in the playoffs before he was developmently ready forced in bc of injury.

Worst case is holtby is goalie 2 next year just like the plan always was, hence houses money.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:59 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
It'd be pretty rad if he went on a rookie run like Cam Ward did.
This.

I'm happy for the kid. I'm happy for the Caps. He has a chance to prove why he has been allegedly unhappy that he didn't find his way with the big club sooner this year. At least that was the word out of Hershey.

If he would turn in a Cam Ward type performance I'd be okay with that too.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
txpd

it would be great if the kid played like cam ward did. thats fantasyland, though. there's a difference between hoping for a fairy tale and predicting one.

ive said this already in the thread. all three are capable and i dont fear using any of them. just as i was fully confident in neuvirth. can he do it? yes. is he my first choice? no.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

He's played six games, mostly poorly. He's not ready and it shows every time he's played in the NHL this year.

Now fortunately, the stakes are minimal in a year in which the whole team is terrible. There is at least that.

Losing your backup in game #81 with your starter already injured? Yeah, there is no silver lining.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
He's played six games, mostly poorly. He's not ready and it shows every time he's played in the NHL this year.

Now fortunately, the stakes are minimal in a year in which the whole team is terrible. There is at least that.

Losing your backup in game #81 with your starter already injured? Yeah, there is no silver lining.
Career stats for Braden:

20 GP, 13-4-1, 2.08 GAA (add form Wapo article: three shutouts, a .926 save percentage)

This year he has been good outside of the game vs Buffalo IMO

I fully expect him to play a big role when we beat our 1st round opponent.

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-06-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
txpd

here's hoping neuvy is not as bad as it looked. i will say this. i am more afraid of the caps playing without a legit goalie as the game backup than i am of holtby starting.

if the caps go into the playoffs with holtby and sabourin or holtby and the russian pr guy as the backup, whoever the caps play will fully intend to injure holtby.

if neuvirth or vokoun can practice and take the warm up and at least look like they could play, maybe it wont come to that.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 972
No ones going to hurt Holtby with Jeff freaking Shultz out there. I dunno tex I think the boys tend to protect Holtby a little more than when TV or "noovy" is out there.

Blades of steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'm excited to see the Caps get to flip the reset switch. Win a round, and the year is better than the President's Trophy season. All about playoffs now, and guys like Brouwer and Ward were brought in not because either was going to notch 30 goals over a season, but because they have demonstrated that they have an extra gear in the post-season. The team seems to be improving, in fits and starts, but improving, at the right time of year.

The goaltending, though, is not a ray of sunshine. That's a legitimate area of worry.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:09 AM
BamaCapsFan

People like to look at records in the AHL, with a team mostly depleted of talent (both coaching and on ice) by the time he was starting, as our drafting selection had fallen from top 10 to bottom 10.

What about his NHL record? Not just this year but total:

13 - 4 - 3 with .926 and 2.08 GAA

When we were good in front of him, he won a lot (and looked better doing it than Varlamov or Nuevy, in my opinion).

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
BamaCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The goaltending, though, is not a ray of sunshine. That's a legitimate area of worry.
Though it very well could be a ray of sunshine, which is the point of this post. Who else is excited by the possibility, a very real one, that it could be.

BamaCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:16 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post
People like to look at records in the AHL, with a team mostly depleted of talent (both coaching and on ice) by the time he was starting, as our drafting selection had fallen from top 10 to bottom 10.

When we were good in front of him, he won a lot (and looked better doing it than Varlamov or Nuevy, in my opinion).
And some people have actually watched Holtby play in both the AHL and NHL and are not just looking at records. Holtby has played well and poorly at the NHL level, the Caps appear to be going into the playoffs starting their 3rd goalie. It is what it is, hopefully, he plays well and the team plays well in front of him. Will I watch the games, yes, do I think this is a team that is going to make a long playoff run, not at the moment, but I hope I'm wrong.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCapsFan View Post

this season. 5 starts 2-2-1 with gaa over 2.80 and sv% under .910. he played against buff-L, flyers-OTL, minn-shutout, detroit(during their losing streak) W, SJ-L

in those starts he gave up 4, 3, 1, 0, 5 goals.

last season he has 11 starts. 6 were against teams that missed the playoffs. of the other 5, 4 were against 6, 7 or 8 seed playoff teams. the one game vs a top team was a 5-0 L to philly.

holtby is capable. thinking that he has done a lot so far to prove he is ready to backstop a team in the stanley cup playoffs, there's nothing to back it up

Old
04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
And some people have actually watched Holtby play in both the AHL and NHL and are not just looking at records. Holtby has played well and poorly at the NHL level, the Caps appear to be going into the playoffs starting their 3rd goalie. It is what it is, hopefully, he plays well and the team plays well in front of him. Will I watch the games, yes, do I think this is a team that is going to make a long playoff run, not at the moment, but I hope I'm wrong.
How many "poor" games do you remember him playing at the NHL level. Buffalo last game? Perhaps vs Buffalo last year (the one where Vanek scored in OT)?? That last one is reaching a bit.

He was good/great a heckuva lot more times than poor I'll tell you that.

Those stats simply do not lie..3 shutouts in 20 games, over 92% sv pct and hovering around a 2 GAA.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
this is a solid post. i think the point some are making is that holtby shouldnt have been the 3rd goalie. some might be of the mind that he should be the 1 goals and this is actually the perfect scenario.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:29 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this season. 5 starts 2-2-1 with gaa over 2.80 and sv% under .910.
How about going 13-13-5 with a gaa over 2.80 and a save pct just BARELY over .90?

You can't defend Neuvirth and try to bring down Holtby.

In fact you can argue Neuvirth's stats are even worse due to the larger sample size.