HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season Over Official Off-Season Thread: GTFO O'Brien edition

Old
04-06-2012, 10:23 AM
foppagirl21

vCash: 500
I will be rooting for Dan Boyle... errr... San Jose. I really love the guys on that team and would be thrilled to see them lift the Cup. Clowe, Thornton, Marleau, ...Pavelski (cannot hate him for being an Avalanche killer). This is quite possibly their last chance for some time (I have a feeling the team is going to be blown up in the VERY near future).

No way will I be rooting for Vancouver. I would rather see the Red Wings win than the Canucks. Out East is more tricky. Just as long as Washington does not do anything major, I will be ok with who comes out on top out there. Now I need to start thinking about the playoff pool my friends and I do each year... I have a feeling it will go nowhere near as well this time around, haha.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
agreed, if Mueller resigns and he and duchene are both healthy they will kill it, especially if you put either downie or lando on the line to help clear some space for them on the ice as well as provide an extra boost of offense
Problem is, neither Duchene or Mueller will get top minutes playing on the 3rd line. And the bigger problem is, neither are 3rd line checkers.

Lando and O'Reilly will be paired together
Stasnty and McGinn will be paired together as will Jones, if he re-signs.
Olver and Downie showed more than Duchene and Mueller this year which leaves the 3rd line for them.

Like I said in previous posts, I love Duchene but there isn't really a spot for him. If he could play wing then great, play him at wing. But man, he had a terrible season. He almost made his wingers worse.

Heebs21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:52 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Personally I think O'Brien is pretty good.
Nay, he sucks. Other players are making mistakes, too, but not in such a constant way (and often at crucial times) as he does. I think, he started the season in an okay way but this looks like a distant memory now. It's a pity because he's such a likeable guy and because he has had some great moments in an Avs sweater.
I hope and absolutely expect Gaunce will replace him.

Signing Suter would be awesome obviously but I think we have the right players in our system (including Elliott and Barrie although they are on the roster already) to fix this defense although this will take time. Signing a scorer is a bigger need imo.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Ready to hop on the "trade Duchene!" bandwagon I see? Not sure why, not exactly sure what the kid's done to deserve to be traded. And we have a 3rd line centre, his name is Jay McClemment. He just happens to play 4th line because of our centre depth. You saw first-hand what happened this year, duchene gets hurt, down to 2 centres who can score. What happens next year if we trade Duchene and one of stastny/o'reilly get hurt? I sure would like duchene to fall back on. Ask pittsburgh if they'd trade jordan staal and the answer is an emphatic no.

Also, not a fan of giving a 7 year contract. 3-4 MAX, so that we don't get tied up with cap problems.

And, not ready to give up on Mueller just yet. Give him this entire off-season to work on his conditioning and I think we'll see a return of the player who was drafted in the top 10, he went that high for a reason.

Way I see it next season:

Olver-Duchene-Mueller
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
Malone-McClemment-Kobasew

XXX-Johnson
Hejda-O'Byrne
Wilson-Barrie/Elliot

Varlamov
Giguere

Would sure like to sign Ryan Suter...
I dont want to trade Duchene but I dont want to have his talents waste away on the 3rd line. I think we need to get him to simplify his game and throw him on the wing with a defensive orientated centerman like Chicago did with Kane and Toews.

Unless we got incredible value for Duchene like a #1 D-man, he is too good of a player to trade away. That being said, he is a waste as a 3rd line center and does not fit at all in that role. And on the other end, O'Reilly and Stastny's role would diminish if one of them were to be thrown on the 3rd line.

This would work:

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Duchene
McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Mueller - Olver - Downie
Kobasew - McClement - McLeod

We have plenty of forward depth. We need to keep these young guys together but we absolutly need to add a #1 defensemen to pair with Johnson. I think we are tied to Hedja's contract. Hedja and O'Bryne do some nice things but they need to play limited minutes as the 5th-6th pairing. They are a big reason our PK was so good.

O'Brien does some nice things but he should not be an every game D-man. I would not be opposed to bringing him back as a 7th D-man. I doubt Hunwick comes back. Which is no big loss.

We have no-one to play 24 minutes a night with Johnson. I think if we threw the bank at Suter, we would have one of the most dominant pairings in the league.

Then two of Wilson, Elliot, Barrie, Guance would battle it out for the remaining two spots. I am hoping Wilson re-gains his form from before his concussion. He was pretty damn good.

Johnson - Suter
Wilson - Guance
Hedja - O'Bryne

Reserves: O'Brien - Barrie

I like these pairings.

Last edited by Heebs21*: 04-06-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old
04-06-2012, 10:57 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
Problem is, neither Duchene or Mueller will get top minutes playing on the 3rd line. And the bigger problem is, neither are 3rd line checkers.

Olver and Downie showed more than Duchene and Mueller this year which leaves the 3rd line for them.

Like I said in previous posts, I love Duchene but there isn't really a spot for him. If he could play wing then great, play him at wing. But man, he had a terrible season. He almost made his wingers worse.
Duchene had one bad season and injuries didn't help. Kid is 21 years old. I'm a huge Olver fan but he won't be half the player Duchene will be. And Mueller had missed more than a complete season. Show some patience, guys. Not every player can be like Tavares, Toews, Crosby and co.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:09 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:

Why does our 3rd line need to be checkers? RoR plays against the other teams top lines. Them playing on the 3rd line gives them the weakest opponents and should give them more room. I kind of like the idea of rolling 3 scoring lines. That is what Buffalo used to do and it worked relatively well for them.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
Nay, he sucks. Other players are making mistakes, too, but not in such a constant way (and often at crucial times) as he does. I think, he started the season in an okay way but this looks like a distant memory now. It's a pity because he's such a likeable guy and because he has had some great moments in an Avs sweater.
I hope and absolutely expect Gaunce will replace him.

Signing Suter would be awesome obviously but I think we have the right players in our system (including Elliott and Barrie although they are on the roster already) to fix this defense although this will take time. Signing a scorer is a bigger need imo.
Fix the back end and defense and the scoring will come. We are set at forward.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

McGinn Stastny ?(Jones)
Landy RoR Downie
Mueller Dutch Olver
McLeod McC Kobasew

I have no problems going into next season with those forwards. There is lots of offensive potential in that line up, and it gives the opposing team a lot of weapons to shut down. I would much prefer keeping our 4 centers in their natural position, and roll 3 scoring lines and 1 attack line.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1200
I think our forwards under-performed this year. I would like to think they will produce better next year.

Our defensemen, however, are being asked to fill roles that they are not suited for. Adding a top-notch defender would allow these guys to slot down into roles they are more capable of succeeding in. And I'm not talking about Hejda, O'Brien, etc types. I'm talking about a true top-pairing guy for EJ.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Fix the back end and defense and the scoring will come. We are set at forward.
we need more depth on right wing.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:24 AM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I think our forwards under-performed this year. I would like to think they will produce better next year.

Our defensemen, however, are being asked to fill roles that they are not suited for. Adding a top-notch defender would allow these guys to slot down into roles they are more capable of succeeding in. And I'm not talking about Hejda, O'Brien, etc types. I'm talking about a true top-pairing guy for EJ.
I have been thinking about this for a while and I am not sure what our best option is. The way I see it is O'Byrne has solidified a top 4 position. He can anchor a pairing defensively. EJ is obviously a top 4 as well. Both play the right side. Hejda should be a top 4 guy, and hopefully he has a bounce back season next year and starts the year off better. We need 1 more top 4 left pairing defenseman. Ideally, IMO, to play with O'Byrne and help move the puck. I think at this point you need Hejda and EJ to make it work. Hejda and O'B had some success this year, but they turn the puck over way too often and get stuck in the d-zone for extended stretches.

Hejda EJ - They were awful together, but they need to make it work
????? O'Byrne - ? Needs to be a defensively capable puck mover, who can also work a PP.
Wilson ??? - I think the Avs need to look elsewhere for some defensive help on the PK. O'Brien has the tools to play that role, but he is too selfish.
Hunwick, Barrie, Elliott, Gaunce Battle royal for last spot.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

SOB is the new Hunwick around these parts.

Keep him on but in a lesser role. It's up to the FO to provide this team with another top 4 Dman.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
we need more depth on right wing.
Yea I would agree. We aren't "set" at forward, especially if Hejduk doesn't return/retires.

Defense needs a another top 4 guy badly. And IMO, it needs to be a player who can carry the puck, make great passes to help generate offense.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I have been thinking about this for a while and I am not sure what our best option is. The way I see it is O'Byrne has solidified a top 4 position. He can anchor a pairing defensively. EJ is obviously a top 4 as well. Both play the right side. Hejda should be a top 4 guy, and hopefully he has a bounce back season next year and starts the year off better. We need 1 more top 4 left pairing defenseman. Ideally, IMO, to play with O'Byrne and help move the puck. I think at this point you need Hejda and EJ to make it work. Hejda and O'B had some success this year, but they turn the puck over way too often and get stuck in the d-zone for extended stretches.

Hejda EJ - They were awful together, but they need to make it work
????? O'Byrne - ? Needs to be a defensively capable puck mover, who can also work a PP.
Wilson ??? - I think the Avs need to look elsewhere for some defensive help on the PK. O'Brien has the tools to play that role, but he is too selfish.
Hunwick, Barrie, Elliott, Gaunce Battle royal for last spot.
ROB would benefit greatly if he has a top 4 Dman paired up with him. It's amazing what can happen to a guys game if he's paired with a capable player for that specific role.

One big positive is that EJ showed us he's going to be a premier defenseman in the NHL for years to come. Expect a huge season from him next year.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
SOB is the new Hunwick around these parts.

Keep him on but in a lesser role. It's up to the FO to provide this team with another top 4 Dman.
I'd rather give a chance to Gaunce (who deserved it with his play in the AHL) and Wilson, I often wonder what could've been if that dbag Lapierre didn't hit Wilson from behind, it looked like that and being a healthy scratch after he got better destroyed his confidence.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I'd rather give a chance to Gaunce (who deserved it with his play in the AHL) and Wilson, I often wonder what could've been if that dbag Lapierre didn't hit Wilson from behind, it looked like that and being a healthy scratch after he got better destroyed his confidence.
Welcome to the NHL Wilson

If that destroyed his confidence then he isn't going to be capable of keeping a spot on the roster. I like Wilson and his physical game, though. I want him to succeed here.

The bottom line is the FO needs to bring in a top 4 guy or we're having these issues next season. Get a top 4 man and let the bottom two battle it out hard in training camp.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAvs View Post
Welcome to the NHL Wilson

If that destroyed his confidence then he isn't going to be capable of keeping a spot on the roster. I like Wilson and his physical game, though. I want him to succeed here.

The bottom line is the FO needs to bring in a top 4 guy or we're having these issues next season. Get a top 4 man and let the bottom two battle it out hard in training camp.
Based on the play before he got injured he didn't deserve to be a healthy scratch (since he was probably our best defensman before that) and he was probably pissed off about it and I can't blame him for that.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

So, Avs players to the Worlds?

I'd expect

Johnson for USA
Stastny for USA
Duchene for Canada
O'Reilly for Canada

???

If O'Reilly's coming to Finland I'll be there screaming like a teenage girl

Qurpiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post

I'd expect

Johnson for USA
Stastny for USA
Duchene for Canada
O'Reilly for Canada

???

Duchene and Johnson are injured. Doubt they will go, but I'd like to see Johnson there. Stastny and RoR should be there if they want to.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Well...another season gone.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post

I'd expect

Johnson for USA
Stastny for USA
Duchene for Canada
O'Reilly for Canada

???

EJ and Dutch won't play for sure.

Downie could be a candidate for team Canada as well. Hejda for Czech Rep, Landeskog will have a spot on team Sweden and Varlamov could get a call from team Russia.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

My team,

Gone
Milan Hejduk, F [Retired]
Kevin Porter, F (UFA)
Shane O'Brien, D (GTFO)
----------------------------
Ryan Stoa, Crap (AHL)
David Liffiton, D (AHL)
Trevor Cann, G (AHL)
Kieran Millan, G

====================

Re-Sign *All of these are per year*
Matt Duchene, F [4.5m for 5 years]
Ryan O'Reilly, F [3.7 for 4 years]
David Jones, F [3.0m for 1 year] *Gotta re-sign Jones, FA forwards look very thin*
Steve Downie, F [2.7m for 3 years]
Jamie McGinn, F [2.2m for 3 years]
Jay McClement, F [1.9 for 2 years]
Cody McLeod, F [1.4m for 1 year]
Mark Olver, F [1.2m for 2 years]
Erik Johnson, D [4.3m for 6 years]
Matt Hunwick, D [1.8m for 1 year]
Ryan Wilson, D [1.4m for 1 year]
[AHL] Cedrick Desjardins, G [850k for 2 years]
[AHL] Jake Newton, D [940k for 2 years]
[AHL] David Van Der Gulik, F [620k for 1 year]
[AHL] Justin Mercier, F [585k for 2 years]
[AHL] Zack Cohen, F [575k for 1 year]
[AHL] Evan Brophey, F [568k for 1 year]
[AHL] Patrick Rissmiller [550k for 1 year]
[AHL] Greg Mauldin, F [530k for 1 year]
[AHL] Danny Richmond, D [530k for 1 year]
[AHL] Patrick Bordeleau, F [530k for 1 year]
Rookies
Sami Aittokallio, G
Kent Patterson, G
Paul Carey, F
Stephen Silas, D
Troy Rutkowski, D

====================

Free Agency
Travis Moen, F [2.2 for 2 years]

Ryan Suter, D [6.9m for 6 years]
*If we can't land Suter*
Barrett Jackman, D [4.6m for 4 years]
Cory Sarich, D [4.4m for 2 years]
Jason Garrison, D [3.0 for 3 years]

====================

NHL
FORWARDS
Jamie McGinn - Paul Stastny - David Jones
Gabriel Landeskog - Ryan O'Reilly - Mark Olver
Peter Mueller - Matt Duchene - Steve Downie
Chuck Kobasew - Jay McClement - Travis Moen
Cody McLeod

DEFENSEMEN
Erik Johnson - Ryan Suter
Jan Hejda - Ryan O'Byrne
Matt Hunwick - Ryan Wilson
Cameron Gaunce

GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov
Jean-Sebastien Giguere

AHL
FORWARDS
Patrick Rissmiller - Evan Brophey - David Van Der Gulik
Greg Mauldin - Joey Hishon - Brad Malone
Justin Mercier - Mike Connolly - Luke Walker
Paul Carey - Michael Sgarbossa - Zack Cohen
Patrick Bordeleau

DEFENSEMEN
Stefan Elliott - Jake Newton
Danny Richmond - Tyson Barrie
Joel Chouinard - Stephen Silas
Troy Rutkowski

GOALTENDERS
Cedrick Desjardins
Kent Patterson
Calvin Pickard [-> ECHL]
Sami Aittokallio [-> Sm-liiga]

OPEN CAP: $2,535,834
Other players I would like to target, Stoll and Doan.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
EJ and Dutch won't play for sure.

Downie could be a candidate for team Canada as well. Hejda for Czech Rep, Landeskog will have a spot on team Sweden and Varlamov could get a call from team Russia.
Downie has been playing through a shoulder injury, so no way he will be at Worlds. I could see O'Reilly sitting this one out, too (if he got the call to go, that is). I feel like he probably has some bumps and bruises he needs to heal.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Downie has been playing through a shoulder injury, so no way he will be at Worlds. I could see O'Reilly sitting this one out, too (if he got the call to go, that is). I feel like he probably has some bumps and bruises he needs to heal.
I don't know how I forgot that, thanks for reminding me.

McGinn could get a call if a lot of guys decline to play in the WC.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

On a more positive note we could all change our avatars...

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote