HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

My January QMJHL 2012 rankings

Old
03-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Sideline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise View Post
If your kid is too stupid to not care about school than that's his fault...

There have been lots of kids who managed to balance both...im not saying that going to the Q will help you do better in school, but the kid needs to want to do it...there needs to be discipline and he needs to take his education seriously.

Also I dont really see any Q grads having problems getting into CIS schools...not the ones that play hockey anyway....
Yeah, you don't need to be an aspiring rocket surgeon to get into SMU, DAL, or UNB etc...

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

there is an expansion team in the QMJHL?

:O

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
there is an expansion team in the QMJHL?

:O
Sherbrooke Phoenix!

Old
03-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

beautiful jerseys

Old
03-11-2012, 05:14 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
beautiful jerseys

They are beatiful, however they were unveiled long long ago.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
If your kid is too stupid to not care about school than that's his fault...

There have been lots of kids who managed to balance both...im not saying that going to the Q will help you do better in school, but the kid needs to want to do it...there needs to be discipline and he needs to take his education seriously.

Also I dont really see any Q grads having problems getting into CIS schools...not the ones that play hockey anyway....
Easy there stallion, I don't or won’t have any kids in hockey, all girls and didn't play much to my disappointment. But I think if you really looked at it, players go to junior hockey to get to the next level, but the parents I know that put kids through junior, are more concerned about the school aspect than the kids are, for most that's just the nature of youth, they aren't always just stupid. CHL teams would dry up the kids going south of the boarder if they paid real attention to the educational side. Everyone knows the hockey leagues are stronger here, but when the junior teams/leagues figure out how to sew real education (some are doing well at it, others not) it’s a slam dunk and everyone is happy.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Easy there stallion, I don't or wonít have any kids in hockey, all girls and didn't play much to my disappointment. But I think if you really looked at it, players go to junior hockey to get to the next level, but the parents I know that put kids through junior, are more concerned about the school aspect than the kids are, for most that's just the nature of youth, they aren't always just stupid. CHL teams would dry up the kids going south of the boarder if they paid real attention to the educational side. Everyone knows the hockey leagues are stronger here, but when the junior teams/leagues figure out how to sew real education (some are doing well at it, others not) itís a slam dunk and everyone is happy.
again though the QMJHL does put a real education on the table...you know all players in the league get school paid for if they play two seasons...and again how are kids minds different when there parents put them in prep school? they are not, it is up to the kid to take responsibility on getting through school...teams have study time and school time if they are on the road and the kids go to public school when the team is home just like every other kid does...SO there is only so much a team can do to have the kid get an education, not sure what people expect, someone to take the teenage kid to highschool and sit with him through class to make sure he gets his education...then force him to go to univeristy.......i know a lot of parents that put there kid to school in the USA prep system that spent a ton of money having them go there, schooling was not what they expected and like everyone they excpect there kid to get a full ride through school which is rare..some of the kids failed out of school in university, some dropped out of the USA school and continued at canadian university....unless you go to an ivy league school, michigan state is no different than University of Ottawa.

scoutman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
again though the QMJHL does put a real education on the table...you know all players in the league get school paid for if they play two seasons...and again how are kids minds different when there parents put them in prep school? they are not, it is up to the kid to take responsibility on getting through school...teams have study time and school time if they are on the road and the kids go to public school when the team is home just like every other kid does...SO there is only so much a team can do to have the kid get an education, not sure what people expect, someone to take the teenage kid to highschool and sit with him through class to make sure he gets his education...then force him to go to univeristy.......i know a lot of parents that put there kid to school in the USA prep system that spent a ton of money having them go there, schooling was not what they expected and like everyone they excpect there kid to get a full ride through school which is rare..some of the kids failed out of school in university, some dropped out of the USA school and continued at canadian university....unless you go to an ivy league school, michigan state is no different than University of Ottawa.
Let me ask you a question... how many school days a year does a CHL player miss due to travel?

Most Prep schools have Wednesday and Saturday afternoons for sports, so they aren't missing any actual instruction time. That's all I'm saying. Our boys in the CHL have to miss many days due to the travel. I am not laying this at the feet of the leagues, I am sure they do the best they can, but until someone figures out how to get a teacher or tutor on a bus, the other route might be better for some. Most junior players find it very difficult to be in school full time.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Let me ask you a question... how many school days a year does a CHL player miss due to travel?

Most Prep schools have Wednesday and Saturday afternoons for sports, so they aren't missing any actual instruction time. That's all I'm saying. Our boys in the CHL have to miss many days due to the travel. I am not laying this at the feet of the leagues, I am sure they do the best they can, but until someone figures out how to get a teacher or tutor on a bus, the other route might be better for some. Most junior players find it very difficult to be in school full time.
when ever they play on the road they do not go to regular school BUT what you do not know i guess are players have a person who helps them when they are on the road with their work, and the work for there school is given to them for the time missed and the chapters to read, so the teacher with the team knows the work and the players have there school time on the road, hours a day to read there work, do there assignments, they have the help they need...doesn't mean they do not do the same work as everyone else, get the same education, they do some of there work on the road and get the work and chapters to read that they need for the time missed.....just like prep school a player needs to be motivated to do well in school and the players that work hard and prioritize there time do well, of course you get your players who do not care just like in any situation out there for kids, some know it is there future and some do not care...but just because they miss say 30% of school does not mean they are not doing the work...the teacher we have with the team, and work they are given is done and they learn just like a normal school when they are on the road.

Old
03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Easy there stallion, I don't or wonít have any kids in hockey, all girls and didn't play much to my disappointment. But I think if you really looked at it, players go to junior hockey to get to the next level, but the parents I know that put kids through junior, are more concerned about the school aspect than the kids are, for most that's just the nature of youth, they aren't always just stupid. CHL teams would dry up the kids going south of the boarder if they paid real attention to the educational side. Everyone knows the hockey leagues are stronger here, but when the junior teams/leagues figure out how to sew real education (some are doing well at it, others not) itís a slam dunk and everyone is happy.
I was just talking in general terms...didnt mean to target your hypothetical children

Teams take the school aspect much more sriously than the casual fan thinks. I know every team has a fulltime school advisor, some teams will pay for personal tutors, most teams will keep parents in the loop...I know some teams have monthly reports that get sent to the kids parents...

The main concern that even CHL defenders cant defend is the amount of travel these kids go through. Cape Breton is probably the team that travels the most...they spend almost double the amount of hours per seaosn the bus than a team like Drummondville. CB's closest team is Halifax...which is 4.5 hours away...I think there are something like 6-7 teams within a 4.5 hour drive to Drummondville.

The kids in the CHL are expected to play 68 games...spend time on buses, and concentrate on school...for some kids this is simply too much so they either struggle with school or take less courses...but there are lots of success stories when it comes to kids gaining law degrees, going to med school, etc...a good example is Pascal Amyot...he played 5 years in the Q...and is now at Dalhousie in their Med School program....the kid has taken his education seriously.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:30 AM
BLBarmada

Halifax and Valdor pay for the tutors of their players, and the books and fees of their players while they're in school.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:18 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I was just talking in general terms...didnt mean to target your hypothetical children

Teams take the school aspect much more sriously than the casual fan thinks. I know every team has a fulltime school advisor, some teams will pay for personal tutors, most teams will keep parents in the loop...I know some teams have monthly reports that get sent to the kids parents...

The main concern that even CHL defenders cant defend is the amount of travel these kids go through. Cape Breton is probably the team that travels the most...they spend almost double the amount of hours per seaosn the bus than a team like Drummondville. CB's closest team is Halifax...which is 4.5 hours away...I think there are something like 6-7 teams within a 4.5 hour drive to Drummondville.

The kids in the CHL are expected to play 68 games...spend time on buses, and concentrate on school...for some kids this is simply too much so they either struggle with school or take less courses...but there are lots of success stories when it comes to kids gaining law degrees, going to med school, etc...a good example is Pascal Amyot...he played 5 years in the Q...and is now at Dalhousie in their Med School program....the kid has taken his education seriously.
I agree, there are lots of success stories, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50-50 on good and bad. The travelling is the problem for sure, and I would argue that it takes a very special kid to stay as diciplined as it takes to keep the marks high.

Again, not the fault of anyone, just the way it is. But if someone could figure out a way to help or fix it, fewer players would opt for US prep imo.

Old
03-13-2012, 08:33 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
I agree, there are lots of success stories, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 50-50 on good and bad. The travelling is the problem for sure, and I would argue that it takes a very special kid to stay as diciplined as it takes to keep the marks high.

Again, not the fault of anyone, just the way it is. But if someone could figure out a way to help or fix it, fewer players would opt for US prep imo.
though i will agree the travel is the only problem even though we try to lessen the hurt by having advisors (teacher) on the trips with them...but I do not think this would stop parents or kids from wanting prep school...it is also the new thing kids want to do (like the in thing to do) some prep schools are no better in school than the kid staying home and playing midget hockey and going to school at home...also you have kids go who want to play the NCAA route and...I think personally parents and kids just like to say my kid or I play prep school hockey, some are going for the schooling and some are going to keep options open....

Old
03-13-2012, 04:35 PM
welcometothebigshow2

Are we getting a March rankings list? Preferably of the first 3 rounds, I believe thats the first 54..

welcometothebigshow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Nicker2481

I was also wondering if anyone has an updated list of rankings for the first 2 rounds ?

Nicker2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:23 PM
gaston44

do you have a list for the month of april?

gaston44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston44 View Post
do you have a list for the month of april?
im not going to put anymore up this year for the up and coming draft...getting close to draft and things changed a bit but im scared of giving away someone my team is looking at.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:00 PM
RJQuack

Hey Scoutman, where do you think the best fit for Mason McDonald is? I'm not too sure on Q teams and their goalies other than CB, Hali and Que seem to be set in net... Also, it's hard to pinpoint a goalie, but will he be a sure thing to go first round in your opinion?

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:59 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Hey Scoutman, where do you think the best fit for Mason McDonald is? I'm not too sure on Q teams and their goalies other than CB, Hali and Que seem to be set in net... Also, it's hard to pinpoint a goalie, but will he be a sure thing to go first round in your opinion?
he is a for sure 1st round goalie....some teams have him as the number 1 goalie, some teams have Keven Bouchard as the number 1 goalie...Mason is big, great positional, able to make acrobatic saves, good rebound control, excellent big save goalie, but I think what makes him best is his puck handling and passing is Brodeur esq...I can see him going top 10 QMJHL draft.

Old
04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
im not going to put anymore up this year for the up and coming draft...getting close to draft and things changed a bit but im scared of giving away someone my team is looking at.
There's typically a list released just before the draft on the Q website. Do you have any idea when that typically comes out? It's usually wildly inaccurate but interesting nonetheless

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Will you do a mock draft ?

Old
04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Will you do a mock draft ?
ya i will do a first round mock draft...ill do that when i have time, so anytime between now and next week probably then.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:15 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Thilander View Post
There's typically a list released just before the draft on the Q website. Do you have any idea when that typically comes out? It's usually wildly inaccurate but interesting nonetheless
usually early May it comes out....it is usually inaccurate because CSR has terrible scouting if any scouts at all in Atlantic Canada...they base there maritime rankings off of tournaments like Monctonian and Kiwanas, a player has a terrible tournament they have a terrible ranking....Brandon Whitney is proof of that, I knew he was gonig to be a good one, but terrible tournaments in midget and they are hard to get even your own team to draft them.

Last edited by scoutman1: 04-06-2012 at 10:35 AM.