HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
04-06-2012, 11:07 AM
TorontoSports

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
As much as I like to see a team back in Montreal, MLB is basically a sham, with no salary cap. Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Kansas City, are examples of what even a new Expos team would be like.
If the strike didn't happen in 94, most likely, the Expos are still around, or at least would have stayed a few years longer.
The Baseball landscape is much different. For example the reds just overpaid for votto.. you have to have good management (like the Jays for example) that develop well and have 5-7 year windows per team. The Yankees, Red sox may over pay for players but they don't win all the time. For example I am confident that the Jays will knock the red sox off the that 2nd place holder in the AL east over time.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
The Baseball landscape is much different. For example the reds just overpaid for votto.. you have to have good management (like the Jays for example) that develop well and have 5-7 year windows per team. The Yankees, Red sox may over pay for players but they don't win all the time. For example I am confident that the Jays will knock the red sox off the that 2nd place holder in the AL east over time.
Yeah, the correlation between money and success still exists of course and poorer teams have much smaller windows but because of economic realities less and less teams are spending whatever it takes to win (Even the Yankees have a budget now) and some poorer teams with good management are actually competitive.

A team like Pittsburgh is both broke and poorly run.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
TorontoSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, the correlation between money and success still exists of course and poorer teams have much smaller windows but because of economic realities less and less teams are spending whatever it takes to win (Even the Yankees have a budget now) and some poorer teams with good management are actually competitive.

A team like Pittsburgh is both broke and poorly run.
Pittsburgh's owner is super cheap and that team is very poorly run indeed. I guess it comes down to ownership.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
A return of a MLB team in montreal could only be possible through expansion so a said team would cost around 800m$. There's obviously enough money in Montreal so that it could happen. It would be great to have a stadium somewhere near downtown too. But would the fans come? The main reason why they didn't with the expos is because of the dreadful olympic stadium. I think amateurs would show up for games under a sunny sky in the middle of July. The next step is convincing investors and eventually the league. Maybe by 2025.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:18 PM
HabsByTheBay

You guys know that Tampa has had a top three baseball team for about four years now right?

Tampa draws even fewer people than the Spos did than they were good. It's just intellectually dishonest to rant on about how small markets can never win and then point to the Dodgers (!!!), the Orioles, the Pirates and the Royals as examples. Those are maybe the four worst owners in baseball 1-4 and even then the Royals are stacked with young talent and could very well be a good team as soon as next year.

Also, baseball basically has a salary cap now and the smallest market in baseball by population just gave their first basemen 10 years and $220 million. Stop complaining.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Et le But

Baseball in Montreal is definitely viable if you have:
A. an owner who isn't a con artist like Loria
B. a better stadium

Unfortunately those two things are very difficult to find. In the short term the best bet might be to try and attract a minor league team (build a stadium on the south shore or something) and promote local baseball to help kill off the fallacy that no sport but hockey works in Montreal, while they try and attract investors.

Old
04-20-2012, 01:15 AM
Et le But

http://deadspin.com/5903097/there-ar...-marlins-games

The Marlins could only sell out one game, and the stadium is already empty despite the novelty factor and investments in fielding a competitive team.

But remember, baseball only can't work in Montreal, because those silly Frenchmen only watch hockey.

Old
04-20-2012, 03:02 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
The Marlins should install another moving statue. They don't have enough of those.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 06:28 AM
BLONG7

Selig...Loria...

On a related note, Selig says both the A's and the Rays need new ballparks...interesting...especially the Rays.

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Vladmir Guerrero is back in Canada!

Signed a deal with the Blue Jays.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=395591

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Vladmir Guerrero is back in Canada!

Signed a deal with the Blue Jays.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=395591
I haven't really been following baseball since the Expos left. What happened to Vlad? I mean his stats up to this year seem good even though he's getting old and declining... why is he signed to a minor league contract?

I think I will watch the Jays if he makes the team.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
You know what? Having Vladdy on the Blue Jays (assuming he gets all the way back to MLB) might actually get me to give baseball a chance again. I've avoided it like the plague since the Expos left.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Bobby G

Go Vladdy ! I really hope he becomes a regular on the Jays (he should be able to, I really think he has gotten a tough go compared to how well he has played the last few seasons), It'd be fun to get back into baseball and the Jays have a pretty fun team to watch, though I've never been able to really like them

Last edited by Bobby G: 05-10-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Good luck to Vlad, I hope the Jays do well, never hated them

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I hope he's playing on the big league roster when I go to Toronto for a few games next month.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Vlad has been is discussion for years in Toronto, think you can all thank Alex for that. Alex is still from Montreal & if anyone of us could get a guy we have fond memories of for nothing, we do it! Just hope Vlad can make the team!

I believe he can...

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Icemen

Cro is back, talking about Expos and MLB

http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/baseba...17-193616.html

Icemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Rally? Sorry guys, we can't anymore...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Rally? Sorry guys, we can't anymore...
Maybe a rally for Kovalev this summer?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:02 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Seeing how Toronto actually built a stadium downtown and with a roof system that actually works, it hurts. Rogers Centre is not the best place to watch baseball for sure but it's right downtown and in a hot summer day the roof being open makes it awesome to watch.

Ugh what could have been.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:17 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Seeing how Toronto actually built a stadium downtown and with a roof system that actually works, it hurts. Rogers Centre is not the best place to watch baseball for sure but it's right downtown and in a hot summer day the roof being open makes it awesome to watch.

I know eh? Toronto will need to address the issue of a new stadium in 20-30 years too but I think Toronto will have the capital to pull that off. There'll probably be a good location too. Montreal struggled to find it and then when it all seemed ready to happen, the damn provincial government pulled out. It might take an owner outside of Quebec like with Gillette and the Habs (he turned them from an 80M purchase to a half a billion dollar sale!) to do it but there needs to be committment from various parties to get that downtown stadium.

And yes the product on the field would need to be great but the Spos always did great at Jarry Park when they sucked. When they blew at the Big O, no one wanted to go because the location and the facility was a turn-off that could only be ignored with a contending team. It's a bit like that with the Jays when they suck but at least from May-September there's the open roof to enjoy the weather day or night! I go to half a dozen Jay games a year I'd say (two this year so far) and it is not a perfect stadium for baseball but it's still great in the summer anyway. Look what an outdoor place did for the Alouettes! That could've and should've been the Expos.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Maybe a rally for Kovalev this summer?
Well we'll have to give the police the indications of where we'll go....that part shouldn't be too hard though...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Bobby G

Lind is on the way out of Toronto, should make room for Vladdy's return!

He should help that team and if nothing else I'm sure some Expo fans will buy some tickets to watch him play

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Really nice to have the boys of summer back in Montreal..

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...medium=twitter

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 05:13 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

What could have been... I have hated Fehr, Selig and August of 1994...what could have been...

What happened to the Spos after that was tragic...

Maybe someday, just maybe someone will bring them back...?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote