HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sami Salo - Healthy, Lovin' It and NOT Planning to Retire

Old
04-03-2012, 01:36 AM
0123456789*

vCash: 500
Salo took a discount after a injury plagued season. After this season I dont see how he takes much less then a one year 3mill contract(and this is still a huge discount). I dont know how people are asking for 2mill or less again.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:44 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frkinator View Post
Salo took a discount after a injury plagued season. After this season I dont see how he takes much less then a one year 3mill contract(and this is still a huge discount). I dont know how people are asking for 2mill or less again.
Because he loves this team, this city, and wants to be part of the bigger picture?

I think he'd take 2M, or even 1.75M/1yr deal and I'd easily sign him to that.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
It's nice to see Salo have a healthy season, and I hope he does really well in the playoffs for this team, but retired or not, I don't see Salo as part of the plans next season.

He is another year older, and after this season, and given his history, the chances are that he'll be back to his old injury-prone self again... will Gillis lock up a top-6 spot for him? I don't even know if Salo believes that... his comment "I'll be playing somewhere next year" seems to sound like even he believes that he may not be in the Canucks plans next season.

Gillis doesn't make such decisions on emotions... he's let Ohlund walk, then Mitchell walk... and given the preference he has to fast-skating players, I'd guess he'd rather go younger on his blueline next year, instead of trusting that a 37 yr old Salo will have another healthy season next year. Even with Salo, though the biggest miracle has been that he's been healthy, there has been a slight drop-off in his play overall this season, as should be expected with his age. Shouldn't we expect another possible drop-off next season, even if he manages to stay healthy again (which would be another miracle).

I'm a big Salo fan and am glad he's been part of this team over the years, even with all his injury problems... great guy, class act, and has been one of our best overall dmen at both ends of the ice over the past several years - when he's played. But he's not getting any younger, and one healthy season now doesn't dismiss the fact that he's much more likely to have another injury-riddled season following that. Given Gillis' direction with this lineup over the years, I think he'll keep Salo as a backup option, but will first try and bring in a younger, faster, more durable player to fill that role next season. If he can't find that guy, then he'll approach Salo... and I think Salo realizes that... he'll probably give the Canucks a bit of time before signing elsewhere. I think he's even resigned to the fact that if he's back next year, it'll probably be elsewhere.

I somewhat agree with this. The caveat being the future plans for Alberts. If they decide to run 8 D again next year, while Alberts is moved, Salo can slot directly into his spot. That's an upgrade. MG is not going to find a 6-7 depth D better than Salo. His right shot and steady play are still assets, despite him slowing down.

I'd like to see something like this next year:

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
MAG-Tanev
Rome-Salo

That is excellent D depth. It could work if Salo accepts the role and salary of a true depth defenseman. If he does, I don't see a better option out there. Shultz, if signed, will be allowed to compete for a top6 spot. If he makes it, great. If not, he can be kept in Chicago for a bit until he gets up to speed

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
MAG-Tanev
Rome-Salo
If Salo is coming back, we are not in the running for Garrison. Tanev needs/deserves a roster spot and there's no way Salo isn't playing regularly. Might be able to convince Schultz to rotate in and out with Tanev and/or give Salo the odd day out but there's no way Salo doesn't play less than say 70 - game lost to injuries.

Basically younger players are more willing to be in and out of the line-up as it gives them experience. Vets who can play are less willing. Both Salo and Garrison will be in the top 6 of any team in the NHL (and more often than not, top 4). Expecting them to both take less money and not even play everyday isn't even reasonable.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
If Salo is coming back, we are not in the running for Garrison. Tanev needs/deserves a roster spot and there's no way Salo isn't playing regularly. Might be able to convince Schultz to rotate in and out with Tanev and/or give Salo the odd day out but there's no way Salo doesn't play less than say 70 - game lost to injuries.

Basically younger players are more willing to be in and out of the line-up as it gives them experience. Vets who can play are less willing. Both Salo and Garrison will be in the top 6 of any team in the NHL (and more often than not, top 4). Expecting them to both take less money and not even play everyday isn't even reasonable.
No way Gragnani plays over either of those guys anyways, left hand shot or not.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Salo - Tanev

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:42 PM
RegDunlop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
There is no one I want more to win the cup than Sami salo.
I have a mental image of the Canucks winning the cup and once Salo raises it and passes it on he then collapses into a pile of dust.

RegDunlop73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegDunlop73 View Post
I have a mental image of the Canucks winning the cup and once Salo raises it and passes it on he then collapses into a pile of dust.
Or he raises the Cup overhead and his shoulder dislocates.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:40 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:

This hyperbole is much better.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:03 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
No way Gragnani plays over either of those guys anyways, left hand shot or not.

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Salo - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Ballard - Salo
Gragnani - Schultz

That'd be perfect IMO. Shuffle Tanev, Salo, Schultz, Alberts and Gragnani as health, play and rest require.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
rban*

Too much emotion in this thread. Hockey is a bizness, no room for emotionalism.

If Salo does come back for 1.5 to 2 mil, it is ok because it's not unusual to pay a 5th or 6th DMan that amount.

What has to happen is Vancouver has to maintain a strong top 4. That means even after locking up Edler, there will be three really good Dmen on Nucks: Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis. We may need to either add another one and dump Ballard, or if Ballard plays great in POs he may be that Top 4 guy.

We cannot rely on Salo being a great top 4 guy next year, he may regress or be injured. We have to pay Salo as an expendable bottom pairing Dman.. and if he over performs and manages to play a Top 4 role, that would be a bonus (an unexpected and welcome one).

Bottom line is: we probably can keep Salo at about 2 mil, because it's not a huge amount. No matter what happens we dont lose.. there are 3 possibilities:

1. he keeps on playing well enough to be on our top 4, great: we get a cheap top 4 guy, great value ...

2. he's good enough to anchor the bottom pairing.. no problem, 2 mil is not excessive to pay for a decent bottom pair guy

3. he's injured or deteriorates so much he's not even good enough for bottom pairing.. even if that happens, no big deal, Tanev and Rome and others can step into that bottom pair role and Salo sits... big deal, so we throw away 2 million dollars... NOT a huge amount...

BUT I think we shoudl assume the worst: that he will not be able to play a top 4 role next year. If so we need to not only lock up Edler, but also grab someone else or else use Ballard.

We should be able to do that if we're only paying Salo 2 mil. That amount is small enough not to handcuff us.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:11 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
mine is similar, but slightly different. he drinks from the cup, then like in indiana jones and the last crusade, he rapidly ages and turns into tony gallagher before turning into dust in the wind.

@1:45

wrong grail, sami.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Too much emotion in this thread. Hockey is a bizness, no room for emotionalism.

If Salo does come back for 1.5 to 2 mil, it is ok because it's not unusual to pay a 5th or 6th DMan that amount.

What has to happen is Vancouver has to maintain a strong top 4. That means even after locking up Edler, there will be three really good Dmen on Nucks: Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis. We may need to either add another one and dump Ballard, or if Ballard plays great in POs he may be that Top 4 guy.

We cannot rely on Salo being a great top 4 guy next year, he may regress or be injured. We have to pay Salo as an expendable bottom pairing Dman.. and if he over performs and manages to play a Top 4 role, that would be a bonus (an unexpected and welcome one).

Bottom line is: we probably can keep Salo at about 2 mil, because it's not a huge amount. No matter what happens we dont lose.. there are 3 possibilities:

1. he keeps on playing well enough to be on our top 4, great: we get a cheap top 4 guy, great value ...

2. he's good enough to anchor the bottom pairing.. no problem, 2 mil is not excessive to pay for a decent bottom pair guy

3. he's injured or deteriorates so much he's not even good enough for bottom pairing.. even if that happens, no big deal, Tanev and Rome and others can step into that bottom pair role and Salo sits... big deal, so we throw away 2 million dollars... NOT a huge amount...

BUT I think we shoudl assume the worst: that he will not be able to play a top 4 role next year. If so we need to not only lock up Edler, but also grab someone else or else use Ballard.

We should be able to do that if we're only paying Salo 2 mil. That amount is small enough not to handcuff us.
keep in mind salo is also old enough to take a lower contract with bonuses (i.e., for games played), should that clause still exist in the new CBA.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Karl Hungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
It's nice to see Salo have a healthy season, and I hope he does really well in the playoffs for this team, but retired or not, I don't see Salo as part of the plans next season.

He is another year older, and after this season, and given his history, the chances are that he'll be back to his old injury-prone self again... will Gillis lock up a top-6 spot for him? I don't even know if Salo believes that... his comment "I'll be playing somewhere next year" seems to sound like even he believes that he may not be in the Canucks plans next season.

Gillis doesn't make such decisions on emotions... he's let Ohlund walk, then Mitchell walk... and given the preference he has to fast-skating players, I'd guess he'd rather go younger on his blueline next year, instead of trusting that a 37 yr old Salo will have another healthy season next year. Even with Salo, though the biggest miracle has been that he's been healthy, there has been a slight drop-off in his play overall this season, as should be expected with his age. Shouldn't we expect another possible drop-off next season, even if he manages to stay healthy again (which would be another miracle).

I'm a big Salo fan and am glad he's been part of this team over the years, even with all his injury problems... great guy, class act, and has been one of our best overall dmen at both ends of the ice over the past several years - when he's played. But he's not getting any younger, and one healthy season now doesn't dismiss the fact that he's much more likely to have another injury-riddled season following that. Given Gillis' direction with this lineup over the years, I think he'll keep Salo as a backup option, but will first try and bring in a younger, faster, more durable player to fill that role next season. If he can't find that guy, then he'll approach Salo... and I think Salo realizes that... he'll probably give the Canucks a bit of time before signing elsewhere. I think he's even resigned to the fact that if he's back next year, it'll probably be elsewhere.
If Gillis can make a splash then I guess Salo could become expendable but even in that circumstance I don't really see Gillis driving him to the airport. Replacing a top 4 defense is not easy. We know what Salo brings and it is something this team is in need of. We got Salo for a bargain this season. I would bring him back at the same deal in a heart beat and take my chances that he doesn't regress too badly. We saw what happened when we let Mitchell go and replace him with a much more durable, speedy, offensive Keith Ballard at twice the money.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Proto

I don't think Salo has been that good this season relative to his previous self, but he's been a bargain at his current contract. I wouldn't pay him more than that to return, and I'd wait to see what his playoffs look like before I'd even commit to that.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote