HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[VIDEO] Clowe Plays The Puck From The Bench

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Maynard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
Holy lord Im still mad
You and me both kid.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Nefarious
Classless Doty

I posted this on the main board thread, but the fact that Clowe denied doing it makes him the biggest PoS.

Quote:
As he sat in his locker stall following the game, Clowe claimed ignorance.

"I have no idea what you guys are talking about," he said. "I'll have to see the video or something; you'll have to show me on video."
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/s...ted-bench-move

Old
04-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
I posted this on the main board thread, but the fact that Clowe denied doing it makes him the biggest PoS.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/s...ted-bench-move
Is this guy unaware of arena cameras

Old
04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Marty McSorely was at the game and he was interviewed by the radio crew afterwards for his opinion.

He had an interesting take. He said that play is a minor penalty (something akin to "too many men on the ice" or "unsportsmanlike conduct"). But he also wondered out loud "What if it happens in the last two minutes of the game? Penalty shot?"

Look for a rule change just for this one freak play. I would say that would be (should be) the solution. Penalty shot in the last two minutes of a game, for sure. Maybe even at the end of a period to avoid the "broken up" power play. (IMO, PPs that are broken up from one period to another are less effective; its hard to gain and keep momentum that way.)
That IS a really interesting thought. What if that happened in the last 10 seconds of OT? That penalty doesn't even hurt; you're better off pulling it!

But as far as the current situation, it will be what it is: a crucial missed call. I doubt there's discipline. It would be a pretty weird precedent.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
That IS a really interesting thought. What if that happened in the last 10 seconds of OT? That penalty doesn't even hurt; you're better off pulling it!

But as far as the current situation, it will be what it is: a crucial missed call. I doubt there's discipline. It would be a pretty weird precedent.
Why would it be weird? He wasn't on the ice. That is the only difference, and the only needed difference, to treat something like this differently. If he's on the ice, and throws his stick in the same situation, and no penalty gets called, that's a missed call. This is like a guy standing on the sidelines in football reaching out and interfering with a long sideline pass. It's a guy on the bench throwing a bat out from the dugout to try and stop someone from rounding 3rd base.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:04 PM
MollerManor

For those who watch Sports Center, Clowe was graced this morning with the tie for #1 for WORST OF THE WORST top 10 plays.

At least it is getting some national attention and we don't all sound crazy.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
RJQuack

Sorry I was out for a couple days... Since when did the NHL turn into the Beer Leagues?

Whata joke of a hockey player... And even in the post-game interview he plays dumb. Ducks fans here... But Go Kings!! I can't cheer for cheaters

Old
04-06-2012, 01:19 PM
kingsfan25

Dream scenario: Saturday, with under five minutes remaining and the Kings up by 4 goals, Stoll flips the puck into the Sharks bench onto Clowe's lap. I want that ****ing intolerable "ain't-I-a-stinker" grin that was plastered on his face after the game replaced by a look of pure impotent rage.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Sorry I was out for a couple days... Since when did the NHL turn into the Beer Leagues?

Whata joke of a hockey player... And even in the post-game interview he plays dumb. Ducks fans here... But Go Kings!! I can't cheer for cheaters
The world is ending!!!!

Old
04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

74.1 Too Many Men on the Ice

[...]

A player coming onto the ice as a substitute player is considered on the ice once both of his skates are on the ice. If he plays the puck or interferes with an opponent while still on the players’ bench, he shall be penalized under Rule 56 – Interference.

Soo... off to Rule 56. Ah, there it is:

56.3 Bench Minor Penalty – A bench minor penalty shall be imposed when an unidentifiable player on the players’ bench or penalty bench or any Coach or non-playing Club personnel who, by means of his stick or his body, interferes with the movements of the puck or any opponent on the ice during the progress of the play.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
74.1 Too Many Men on the Ice

[...]

A player coming onto the ice as a substitute player is considered on the ice once both of his skates are on the ice. If he plays the puck or interferes with an opponent while still on the players’ bench, he shall be penalized under Rule 56 – Interference.

Soo... off to Rule 56. Ah, there it is:

56.3 Bench Minor Penalty – A bench minor penalty shall be imposed when an unidentifiable player on the players’ bench or penalty bench or any Coach or non-playing Club personnel who, by means of his stick or his body, interferes with the movements of the puck or any opponent on the ice during the progress of the play.
Yeah, right now the NHL is using Rule 56 to blow off the whole thing...they are saying "there is already a rule for that" and "if the ref sees it he calls it," in other words, we aren't even going to fine the guy.

Been checking all morning for NHL actions and I don't see any at all. It's almost 3 p.m. back east, you figure they would have done something by now, if they were so inclined.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

I'm still mad about this too and I think his post game comments are just salt in the wound. Anyway, in addition to the San Jose Chokes now they are also the San Jose Cheats.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Yeah, right now the NHL is using Rule 56 to blow off the whole thing...they are saying "there is already a rule for that" and "if the ref sees it he calls it," in other words, we aren't even going to fine the guy.

Been checking all morning for NHL actions and I don't see any at all. It's almost 3 p.m. back east, you figure they would have done something by now, if they were so inclined.
Hammond on his blog is citing reports that there will be no supplemental discipline for Clowe.

Many NHL fans (not just Kings fans) are outraged enough where the league really needs to look at a rules clarification about this thing in the off-season... a "Clowe Rule" of some kind.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:14 PM
1971kingsfan

Rule 28

56.2*Minor Penalty - A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who restrains an opponent who is attempting to “fore-check.”
A minor penalty shall be imposed on an attacking player who deliberately checks a defensive player, including the goalkeeper, who is not in possession of the puck.
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who shall cause an opponent who is not in possession of the puck to be forced off-side, causing a stoppage in play. If this action causes a delayed off-side (and not necessarily a stoppage in play), then the application of a penalty for interference is subject to the judgment of the Referee.
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who deliberately knocks a stick out of an opponent’s hand, or who prevents a player who has dropped his stick or any other piece of equipment from regaining possession of it.
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who knocks or shoots any abandoned or broken stick or illegal puck or other debris towards an opposing puck carrier in a manner that could cause him to be distracted. (See also Rule 53 – Throwing Equipment.)
A minor penalty shall be imposed on any identifiable player on the players’ bench or penalty bench who, by means of his stick or his body, interferes with the movements of the puck or any opponent on the ice during the progress of the play. In addition, should a player about to come onto the ice, play the puck while one or both skates are still on the players’ or penalty bench, a minor penalty for interference shall be assessed.
The appropriate penalty according to the playing rules shall be assessed when a player on the players’ or penalty bench gets involved with an opponent on the ice during a stoppage in play. The player(s) involved may be subject to additional sanctions as appropriate pursuant to Rule 28 – Supplementary Discipline.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Hammond on his blog is citing reports that there will be no supplemental discipline for Clowe.

Many NHL fans (not just Kings fans) are outraged enough where the league really needs to look at a rules clarification about this thing in the off-season... a "Clowe Rule" of some kind.
Where are all these other fans? I took part in that thread all last night and everybody except for Kings fans thought it was funny.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:20 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Where are all these other fans? I took part in that thread all last night and everybody except for Kings fans thought it was funny.
Step away from the keyboard dude, take a breather. You've been posting nonstop about the incident. Lets not make it into a giant issue and have it be a distraction while attempting to win the division and head into the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

With all due respect to Section 56.2 in the rule book, 2 minutes appears quite inadequate to many fans who are instinctively recognizing an attack on the game's integrity, and rightly so.

Since the league is seeing fit to pass the buck on this shameful episode, this really now needs to be a job for the NHL Competition Committee.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Twitter for one is blowing up with unhappy fans over this thing.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:29 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Step away from the keyboard dude, take a breather. You've been posting nonstop about the incident. Lets not make it into a giant issue and have it be a distraction while attempting to win the division and head into the playoffs.
Uh, this is the first I've posted about it since last night. And our focus has no effect on how the Kings play.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Old
04-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:

Thanks for the link.

He is quoting the San Jose Mercury News, and that article quotes this NHL official:

Quote:
"Had the referees or linesmen seen this, it would have been a minor penalty, nothing more," wrote John Dellapina, NHL vice president of public relations, in an email.
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...terfering-puck

Old
04-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
If he doesnt get suspended for this I am taking it to the streets. Im sure nobody will have a clue what I am doing but I am ok with that.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

He is quoting the San Jose Mercury News, and that article quotes this NHL official:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...terfering-puck
John Dellapina

Lets dress Westgarth and make Clowe bleed oil...

Old
04-06-2012, 03:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Twitter for one is blowing up with unhappy fans over this thing.
Yeah, Dreger got an ear full or eye full I guess for calling Clowe a great competitor following the incident.

What a DB you are Dreger.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:29 PM
SMoneyMonkey

It was ****** that it happened. And it's really easy to say it changed the game. But when it comes down to it all Clowe did was made a stupid play. If that gets called he's the Kings' favourite Shark. Was he disrespectful to the game? Sure, as is a diver/embellisher.

The only people who deserve any hate for this are the refs. As it's a bench penalty the linesmen could have called it (right?). That means absolutely no official was looking at the puck or, they saw it and decided not to call it. Clowe isn't some classless pos, he's a jokester playing in a beer league.

Emotions are running high, and that's understandable. It could factor into us not winning the division. But so could some 20 other plays in that game. This one is just easier to blame because it stands out.

Closed Thread