HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

31 Years- Zero Top 4 Picks

Old
04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
If we win the lottery, they should bring P.K on the podium to announce...

That a trade has been made

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
except Gauthier had a pretty serious hand in making the team mediocre in the first place... as Dir.Pro Scouting & then as Assistant GM.
You remind me of a demented woodpecker that keeps pecking at the same steel plate without denting it by even one micron. You have no inside knowledge of Gauthier's input, you certainly cannot quantify it vis-à-vis Gainey, but you repeat yourself as though you had something new to say. People who were initially skeptical of your insinuation still are. Go home and take your dog-eared placard with you.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You remind me of a demented woodpecker that keeps pecking at the same steel plate without denting it by even one micron. You have no inside knowledge of Gauthier's input, you certainly cannot quantify it vis-à-vis Gainey, but you repeat yourself as though you had something new to say. People who were initially skeptical of your insinuation still are. Go home and take your dog-eared placard with you.
ahh.. have i hurt your sensibilities by picking on your failed horse?

any moron with half a brain could understand that a director of pro scouting has input into pro players managed by his organization, and that an assistant general manager, has input into the management of the team... but I do understand how that might be a bit much for you to get.

it's idiotic comments like yours that make this place unpleasant at times... completely useless and add absolutely nothing.

luckily, there are still some intelligent posters around, interested in conversation/discussion as opposed to whatever sad silly joy you get out of waisting your time talking about posters instead of hockey topics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
We don't know how much of a role Gauthier played exactly in Gainey's disastrous last few years, which IMO were worse than what Gauthier did as the head guy. Either way I'm glad they are both gone and we can get some new ideas. I know it's nice to have one guy to blame for everything but it clearly was the case of error of judgement of a few people.

I think this season was a fluke but I also think it's time for a culture change. I just hope we get someone modern thinking and not another stubborn dinosaur or former player resting on their Habs legacy.

Last edited by Miller Time: 04-06-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
[/LIST]I wonder if they draft a dman or forward
Most fans think drafting a forward is a sure thing because of the Habs' inability to get enough scoring. However, The forwards most likely to be taken as a top three selection fall short of superstar status. The Habs could use one of them anyway but they could also use an outstanding prospect on defense. A third possibilty might be trading down in the first round (although not too far) to gain an extra second round pick. It's comforting to know that the Habs already have a total of five second round picks in 2012 and 2013. Getting still another is an intriguing thought if the Habs reserved the opportunity to pick within the first 10 this year.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:03 PM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Pierre Gauthier. The WORST GM in Montreal Canadiens history. Even worse than Houle.

Maybe his horrible legacy will lead to a very bright future for the Habs.
Well once you hit rock bottom, you can only go up right.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
ahh.. have i hurt your sensibilities by picking on your failed horse? any moron with half a brain could understand that a director of pro scouting has input into pro players managed by his organization, and that an assistant general manager, has input into the management of the team... but I do understand how that might be a bit much for you to get. it's idiotic comments like yours that make this place unpleasant at times... completely useless and add absolutely nothing. luckily, there are still some intelligent posters around, interested in conversation/discussion as opposed to whatever sad silly joy you get out of waisting your time talking about posters instead of hockey topics...
Anyone who hasn't been lobotomized would realize how stubborn and decisive Gainey can be (witness his purge of Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, and seven others) and how familiar he was with all the most prominent names in the NHL as a result of his having been the GM of Dallas as well as Montréal. Gainey has always been his own man and doesn't accept ideas de nouveau from anyone. It's much more likely that Gainey asked Gauthier for a second opinion of something he already had in mind. But you know better because you were privy to their discussions.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
ahh.. have i hurt your sensibilities by picking on your failed horse?

any moron with half a brain could understand that a director of pro scouting has input into pro players managed by his organization, and that an assistant general manager, has input into the management of the team... but I do understand how that might be a bit much for you to get.

it's idiotic comments like yours that make this place unpleasant at times... completely useless and add absolutely nothing.

luckily, there are still some intelligent posters around, interested in conversation/discussion as opposed to whatever sad silly joy you get out of waisting your time talking about posters instead of hockey topics...
Idiotic comments like his? He's the one with good points, you don't know anything about managing a team. I follow the Habs since a long time and your hate on Gauthier/Gainey is exaggerated.

They're far from being the best but they did some great job (scouting departement as an example). I'm glad they're gone now because we need fresh blood.

KadrüH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Habs

Quote:
Most fans think drafting a forward is a sure thing because of the Habs' inability to get enough scoring. However, The forwards most likely to be taken as a top three selection fall short of superstar status. The Habs could use one of them anyway but they could also use an outstanding prospect on defense. A third possibilty might be trading down in the first round (although not too far) to gain an extra second round pick. It's comforting to know that the Habs already have a total of five second round picks in 2012 and 2013. Getting still another is an intriguing thought if the Habs reserved the opportunity to pick within the first 10 this year.
I have no idea who to draft i guess it willbe easier once the other teams have made their pick

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Oddly enough, I feel the same way.

Should Toronto win the lottery I think half of this board is going to go on suicide watch, myself included.

I have full confidence that Timmins is going to draft us a difference maker, that coupled with some solid defensive prospects already in the system and hopefully some aggressive managing this summer, we could very easily rebound next season.
I'm thunking along the same lines

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
We have enough 2nd round picks to pick up prospects Timmins want already. Now is time to get that franchise center

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Jerky

I think we've suffered enough (with our 1st rounders)

88: Eric Charron
89: Lindsay Vallis
90: Turner Stevenson
91: Brent Bilodeau
92: David Wilkie
93: Saaaaaakuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!
94: Brad Brown
95: Terry Ryan
96: Matt Higgins
97: Jason Ward
98: Eric Chouinard
99:
00: Ron Hainsey, Marcel Hossa
01: Mike Komisarek, Alex Perezhogin
02: Chris Higgins
03: Andrei Kostitsyn
04: Kyle Chipchura
05: Carey Price
06: David Fischer
07: Ryan McDonaugh, MaxPac
08:
09: Louis Leblanc ???
10: Jarred Tinordi ???
11: Nathan Beaulieu ???

Jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
I am a fan of Les Canadiens and that moron destroyed this team in three years.

Are you happy that we are a last place team? And forget the juvenile "tank" bull ****. Detroit does not finish last and they are competitive every year.

So yes, I hate that ****er Pierre Gauthier for what he did to my team. And I am still baffled that people are still saying that he wasnt that bad.
Exactly. Pierre Gauthier was the worst GM in the Habs history. Don't know who is dumb enough to argue against that.

DrunkenHabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Does Benoit Pouliot count?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:55 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Pierre Gauthier. The WORST GM in Montreal Canadiens history. Even worse than Houle.

Maybe his horrible legacy will lead to a very bright future for the Habs.
Truly spoken like someone who has been following the habs for 3 years. Let me guess you hopped on the bandwagon after halaks run?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
As a draft junkie, I'll be the most excited I have been since 2005, for the obvious reasons.
I know it will never happen again but the lottery in 2005 where everyone had a shot at the first pick was amazing television. I guess part of it had to do with the fact that it was for a very special player, but there is alot more drama involved when everyone has a chance.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I know it will never happen again but the lottery in 2005 where everyone had a shot at the first pick was amazing television. I guess part of it had to do with the fact that it was for a very special player, but there is alot more drama involved when everyone has a chance.
I was working in a warehouse at the time for the summer and listened to it on the radio. The drama was ridiculous. I vividly recall them going to a commercial break before the top 5 were announced. The only 3 minutes of my life that I legitimately thought we were going to see Crosby in a Habs jersey.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:29 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Truly spoken like someone who has been following the habs for 3 years. Let me guess you hopped on the bandwagon after halaks run?
This post shows how little you know and how your assumptions are incorrect.

I hopped on the Ken Dryden bandwagon.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:38 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
I think we've suffered enough (with our 1st rounders)

09: Louis Leblanc ???I would give a
10: Jarred Tinordi ???Looking like a
11: Nathan Beaulieu ???Probably a
My guesses.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Frankenheimer

The truly sad thing is that the only path to moving up a draft position, just one away from number 1, is by losing to the Leafs in regulation on the last game of the season. And at the same time, the Leafs have a lot to gain by losing. This is set to be one of the most awkward games in a long time. My only hope is that Markov doesn't play.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Anyone who hasn't been lobotomized would realize how stubborn and decisive Gainey can be (witness his purge of Koivu, Kovalev, Komisarek, and seven others) and how familiar he was with all the most prominent names in the NHL as a result of his having been the GM of Dallas as well as Montréal. Gainey has always been his own man and doesn't accept ideas de nouveau from anyone. It's much more likely that Gainey asked Gauthier for a second opinion of something he already had in mind. But you know better because you were privy to their discussions.
hmmm, so what you're saying is that Gainey surrounded himself with yes-men whose input he didn't value?

or are you saying that the strong-willed GM made his decisions, with the input of those he hand picked to be a part of his entourage?

as has been pointed out before, either way it reflects poorly on Gauthier...

From what I do know of Gainey, the man, what you describe as "much more likely" is probably accurate. Which is precisely the same as saying that Pierre Gauthier, as director of pro scouting & assistant GM, would have been consulted for opinion/feedback on management decisions.

how many, and to what extent his input was valued, only Bob Gainey knows that decisively. But explain to me again how that negates the claim that Gauthier would have had INPUT in the decisions being made (especially around NHL/AHL/Europe pro players, an area where we did quite poorly on in terms of managing our assets).

Old
04-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I was working in a warehouse at the time for the summer and listened to it on the radio. The drama was ridiculous. I vividly recall them going to a commercial break before the top 5 were announced. The only 3 minutes of my life that I legitimately thought we were going to see Crosby in a Habs jersey.
I remember I was getting ready for work. My heart was racing as well as we got down to the last 5 teams and the habs were still in the hunt. It was pricess to see the look on the leafs face when they got called at something like #22

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post
Idiotic comments like his? He's the one with good points, you don't know anything about managing a team. I follow the Habs since a long time and your hate on Gauthier/Gainey is exaggerated.

They're far from being the best but they did some great job (scouting departement as an example). I'm glad they're gone now because we need fresh blood.
if they had been doing a great job, there would be no need for "fresh blood"... now would there.

Speaking of the great job our scouting department did, do you give any credit to T.Timmins for that?

If so, how does it reason that the director of amateur scouting deserves credit for his input (and the successes of the organization in that department), but the director of pro scouting somehow isn't credit/blame worthy for the success/failure of the organization in that department?

makes zero sense...

and yes, a childish reference to woodpeckers in response to a post about a hockey topic is idiotic.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:02 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadrüH View Post

André Savard hired Timmins.

Carry on.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

My only regret is that there have been better years for having a top 3 (1?, 2?, 4?) pick. On the other hand, the Habs won't end up with a Chipchura (or, perish the thought) a Fischer. I'm pleased that the Habs will also pick high in the remaining six rounds and that they regained their fifth rounder. By the law of averages (and the scouts' acumen) the Habs should end up with some interesting prospects who have a chance of making the NHL some day.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
This post shows how little you know and how your assumptions are incorrect.

I hopped on the Ken Dryden bandwagon.
How little I know? Maybe you should have paid attention during the 90's because you are embarrassing yourself with your sad attacks on Gauthier.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote