HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Share your methods for deodorizing gears

Old
02-12-2012, 09:49 AM
michaelshu

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Share your methods for deodorizing gears

Hi, I would to know how you guys keep the smell away from you gears?
Personally I dip them in a baby clothes detergent for a few hours, and then hang them under a blower.

I'm also curious has anyone tried those de-odorizing sprays? Do they really work?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Squidriss

I let it dry out first, febreze antibacterial spray all of the gear, let it dry, lysol all the gear including the bag, let it dry, and then pack it all up, never smells and i wash all my hockey socks and jerseys. Works for me

Squidriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:36 AM
drivesrf

Let sit out of bag for a day after playing, spray with hockey deodorizer and throw a deodorizer ball in the bag

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
JoeCool16

Let it air out in the garage. That's it. However, my gear IS starting to retain some smell... maybe I should invest in a good deordorizer ball... does the baby detergent damage your gear at all?

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:51 AM
vapor11

Aslong as I take it out of my bag and throw it on the basement floor after use to air out my gear doesn't smell

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Skarjak

The stench adds character.

Goalie gear is mighty hard to wash, so I just let it all dry out (minus the jersey and socks. These get washed).

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 04:20 PM
goalie29

After every game I hang up my goalie gear to air it out, and spray it all with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water.

A couple of times a season I wash my gloves, chest protector, and pants in the tub with laundry soap, and hang to dry.

My skater gear gets hung up after every game, and the soft bits (gloves, elbow pads, shouder pads, pants) get washed in the front-loader every few weeks.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:19 PM
v3rs3

Send a message via AIM to v3rs3
I built a drying rack out of 3/4 in PVC pipe from Home Depot, only cost $9.50. I normally just set up my gear in the drying rack and it hit all with some anti-bacteria febreeze.

v3rs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Pog Form

Buy a dehumidifier. Honestly, one of the best hockey investments I've ever made. I just lay my gear out, crank the thing, and it's bone dry in the morning. No more wasting my time and money spraying it with the alcohol/water mix.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Droid6

I hang my gear in the garage right when I get home after a game and when my gear starts to yellow I wash it in the washing machine.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

I just washed my gloves and elbow pads with a product similar to Oxyclean and it seems to have worked wonders.

Soaked them with the "oxyclean" and some simple green then rinsed the a put them on delicate cycle in the front loader plus and extra rinse cycle and it's worked wonders.

I live in the middle east so I don't have to worry too much about cold damp storage.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I picked up a Shock Doctor bag. It's nice when you have a dry/cold environment.

Otherwise I would set the gear out to dry on a rack/shelf and spray with a little rubbing alcohol.

A few times a year I wash all my protective gear in the tub with a little detergent and bleach. Not my gloves, as they dry out. I'm finding that I just want to buy a new pair of $100 gloves each year and toss them when they get nasty.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:50 AM
r3cc0s

I find that I can usually wash the smell out of things out of pads rather using my dish washer on a sanitasion cycle...

I will wash my pants on occation and will have them dry

The key is to dry after every use...

I use fresh under garmont every game, I have 3 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of elbow, 3 sets of gloves, and 2 pairs of shin pads that I rotate throughout a year, of which I play about 3-4 times

eventually you just won't be able to get that smell/bacteria out of some equipment, and I usually just toss em... i.e. shinpads/elbows
I don't buy the highest end, and usually a set of shinpads will last me about 100+ games (so a year switching back/forth)

I do know that the winwell nxt stuff does definately work, as I have a neighbor I play with who literially leaves his stuff in his bag, and his elbows, shins and shoulders don't carry any smell... just his pants and gloves and the rest smell like ass

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Sirstig

I hang my gear after every session on a good cheap foldable multi-hook hanger from Wal-Mart. I also run a dehumidifier in the same room for a few hours to speed up the drying process. I wash my skate socks and under layer stuff and hang it with the gear to dry. This works great! There's no stink once it's all dry and when things start to smell a bit I soak them in the tub with some oxy then back to the dehumidifying room.

BTW my gloves were the nastiest and they don't stink after the tub treatment.

Sirstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:26 AM
Cowbell232

I let my equipment dry out fully after every single time I use it, and that helps immensely.

Every once in a while it'll start to smell sooner or later, and then I mix rubbing alcohol, water, and a touch of Febreeze in a spray bottle, spray it down well and let it air dry.

Oh, and for my gloves I rub in Barbasol once in a while - the yellow one with lanolin in it.

Last edited by Cowbell232: 02-13-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Bexlyspeed

The Shock Doctor Bag! I ve had it for about 6 years and i have no problem with Equitment oder whatsoever!

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexlyspeed View Post
The Shock Doctor Bag! I ve had it for about 6 years and i have no problem with Equitment oder whatsoever!
i found that the shock doctor bag didnt last me more than months, the fabric on the bag was awful! tore along the zipper everytime

the key to odor control on your gear is to not let it stay wet for long periods. drying it right after games will not let bacteria and odor develop. every 6 months or so i take my gear (minus skates and helmet) soak it in my tub with warm water and shut out soap. drain the tub rinse it, and let it dry completely

that does a great job with odor

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Let it air out in the garage. That's it. However, my gear IS starting to retain some smell... maybe I should invest in a good deordorizer ball... does the baby detergent damage your gear at all?
I don't think so, been using baby detergents since forever.. they smell nice too but they won't be able to completely get rid of already too smelly gears

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:33 PM
lifebird

Amazing results for all gear (except helmet & skates):
1- Go to laundromat to find a HUGE front loading machine
2- add 1 cup baking soda washing powder
3- add 1 cup white vinegar
4- put gear in machine & insert coins
5- read hockey magazine while it washes
6- hang gear at home in dry place
Awesome results every time, no gear damage.

lifebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
TrueBlue86

guys i'm a bit of a noob what's the difference in washing it in a front loading machine vs a regular machine

is it the type of cycle you can do or what? at my parents' house there's a front loading machine so i was wondering

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I myself usually just air dry my wet gear in front of a dehumidifier and Lysol the inside of my empty bag.

Every year though I throw everything except my bucket and skates in the washer and put it on the delicate cycle. Mine IS a top loader but I just make sure the neck area of my shoulder pads goes on the washer's post and all the buckles are snapped. No problems so far. I then air dry with a large fan. Takes a couple hours.

I also have a teammate who has been playing a lot longer than I have who throws all his gear in the pool in the summer and let's it dry in the sun.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
guys i'm a bit of a noob what's the difference in washing it in a front loading machine vs a regular machine

is it the type of cycle you can do or what? at my parents' house there's a front loading machine so i was wondering
Always use the delicate cycle. I think that affects the speed the washer spins at.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebird View Post
Amazing results for all gear (except helmet & skates):
1- Go to laundromat to find a HUGE front loading machine
2- add 1 cup baking soda washing powder
3- add 1 cup white vinegar
4- put gear in machine & insert coins
5- read hockey magazine while it washes
6- hang gear at home in dry place
Awesome results every time, no gear damage.
Thumbs up to the laundromat.

it does an excellent of washing and rinsing!!

after every game i make sure that everything comes out to dry. low maintenance, nice and simple

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Always use the delicate cycle. I think that affects the speed the washer spins at.
The agitator in the middle will wreak havoc on your equipment, especially shoulder pads with loose arm pads and equipment with straps. the front loaders have no agitator, thus when spin washing, the equipment just tumbles on top of each other.

remember that it's not the agitation of the clothes that washes them clean, it's the soapy water traveling through the clothes that cleans them.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
The agitator in the middle will wreak havoc on your equipment, especially shoulder pads with loose arm pads and equipment with straps. the front loaders have no agitator, thus when spin washing, the equipment just tumbles on top of each other.

remember that it's not the agitation of the clothes that washes them clean, it's the soapy water traveling through the clothes that cleans them.
Never really ran into any problems as I've always made sure straps are buckled and snapped etc...
Maybe I've just been lucky though...