HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't give me this BS that you don't want the Presidents' Trophy

Old
04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Pens are planning on resting key players in their final game against the Flyers. Big mistake. We should be doing the opposite and coming out hard against the Caps. Send a message that we're ready and they're screwed.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:06 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Another reason to win

Get Hank his 40th of the year

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Dangleberry

I want the Presidents Trophy. Having home ice advantage can never be a bad thing.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:59 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
No one's saying that winning the cup is not the most important thing. However winning the cup and being a Presidents' Trophy winner are not mutually exclusive. Don't tell me you don't want be the best team in a 30 team league after a marathon 82 game season. This is not the NFL where you can have a fluky 16 games, you play 82 games, there's nothing fluky about that. There's nothing better IMO than to be the best team in the league for 82 games and win the Cup. That means you were the best team from October through June. Nothing more dominant than that. If we win the cup I want to be the Presidents' Trophy winners when we do it. If we lose in the playoffs I'd rather have the consolation prize of being the Presidents' Trophy. I'd rather be the 92 Rangers than any other Rangers team that lost in the playoffs that wasn't in the finals at the very least. Why does everyone on HF think it's cool to say that the PT means nothing? Today's game sure as hell meant something.
I can't agree more, and was going to make a thread myself which I never do.

The Presidents Trophy is a very important achievement, second best IMO to all but winning the Cup. People think it's cool to rip on it because it's the American thing to say and do. In most sports leagues in the world, a champion is determined by the full season, not a playoff system. Only in America is the regular season champion in sports so forgotten about, and while I think it's great to be unique and American etc, it's astonishing to me people think this way. It's an important achievement to be the best in the long run, over 82 games and six months. Let's go for it.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
rambler725

If you win the Presdient's Trophy and the Cup no one can dispute the fact you just had a lucky playoff run..you were the best in the NHL for the whole year when you win both

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:59 AM
dfine06

at this point its not working hard for the trophy. we win we get it. period. we should be winning every game anyway so all they have to do is look at it like another game to win and we grab it.

i see no reason to rest anyone or slack off because we are in. we are facing the caps in the playoffs so why not kick their -- saturday in the last game of season and send them a message that this aint last year. as well as everyone else in the league.

and if we need "rest" and cant keep plowing though games like we have for 82 so far we arent going anywhere further. I wouldnt suggest blowing the game in order to maybe possibly highly doutful to get the cats in the 1st round. If we need a 1st round team to be weak and cant beat them thats ridiculous.

Look at the other 1st rounds (Philly, Pens Devils Boston) we are lucky we have the 8th place team and not one of those.

dfine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Steve Zipay ‏ @stevezipay Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Torts on President's Trophy: "I'm with the team, we really want to win the game (Saturday)"

Let's do this!

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:24 PM
ThisYearsModel

Go get the trophy. Why not? It is a very nice accomplishment. LGR!

Play everyone tomorrow. The Caps are a fair and clean team, unlike the Penguins. No reason to sit anyone.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Go get the trophy. Why not? It is a very nice accomplishment. LGR!

Play everyone tomorrow. The Caps are a fair and clean team, unlike the Penguins. No reason to sit anyone.
Yup. I've gained more respect for the Caps. I hate their fans with a passion, but I respect the team. Pens I have no respect for.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
ck20

I have no interest whatsoever in the Presidents Trophy. It's a meaningless trophy in the grand scheme of the season, and it's only to commemorate a team being 1st in a statistical race. "Oh, you guys had the same amount of points and wins, but these guys had more in regulation/OT? Trophy to them!" The way the Rangers played this season is what has made it memorable. The identity they've cultured is what has made it exciting. The Presidents Trophy does not validate or speak to the style and pace this team has kept up all season.

This trophy means nothing in the long run. Who won the Presidents Trophy 2 years ago? Who won the Cup 2 years ago? Exactly.

Bring on the playoffs.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
No one's saying that winning the cup is not the most important thing. However winning the cup and being a Presidents' Trophy winner are not mutually exclusive. Don't tell me you don't want be the best team in a 30 team league after a marathon 82 game season. This is not the NFL where you can have a fluky 16 games, you play 82 games, there's nothing fluky about that. There's nothing better IMO than to be the best team in the league for 82 games and win the Cup. That means you were the best team from October through June. Nothing more dominant than that. If we win the cup I want to be the Presidents' Trophy winners when we do it. If we lose in the playoffs I'd rather have the consolation prize of being the Presidents' Trophy. I'd rather be the 92 Rangers than any other Rangers team that lost in the playoffs that wasn't in the finals at the very least. Why does everyone on HF think it's cool to say that the PT means nothing? Today's game sure as hell meant something.
Just picture Rangers vs Canucks game 7 in Vancouver...then u would want the President's Trophy...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
I have no interest whatsoever in the Presidents Trophy. It's a meaningless trophy in the grand scheme of the season, and it's only to commemorate a team being 1st in a statistical race. "Oh, you guys had the same amount of points and wins, but these guys had more in regulation/OT? Trophy to them!" The way the Rangers played this season is what has made it memorable. The identity they've cultured is what has made it exciting. The Presidents Trophy does not validate or speak to the style and pace this team has kept up all season.

This trophy means nothing in the long run. Who won the Presidents Trophy 2 years ago? Who won the Cup 2 years ago? Exactly.

Bring on the playoffs.
At least it's another banner at the Garden.

Haven't had nearly enough of those (retired numbers aside) the past decade plus.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post

Bring on the playoffs.

We are the worst or the second worst of the Original Six franchises. We have had horrible stretches for long periods, including recently when we went 10 years, from 1997 to 2007, between playoff game wins.

We went 16 years without finishing in the top-4 in the East, having no home-ice advantage since 1996.

Having a few achievements, a few banners up there, wouldn't be the worst thing for this franchise.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:06 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Just picture Rangers vs Canucks game 7 in Vancouver...then u would want the President's Trophy...
QFT!

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id rather lose the presidents trophy and play Florida in the first round, than win the presidents trophy and play Washington. But, youre then counting on the Canes beating the Panthers, and you cant count on anything of the sort.

Go out and try to win, but id still play my 3rd and 4th lines a lot more than my first and 2nd lines. rest up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
do you know what the mathematical odds are of that happening?

Not only both of these teams making the SCF, but it going to game 7?

I wasn't a math major, but id wager its an insignificant number.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:36 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
id rather lose the presidents trophy and play Florida in the first round, than win the presidents trophy and play Washington. But, youre then counting on the Canes beating the Panthers, and you cant count on anything of the sort.

Go out and try to win, but id still play my 3rd and 4th lines a lot more than my first and 2nd lines. rest up.
Capitals goalie situation is a mess right now. We can take them.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Considering that we are talking about the President's Trophy with one game to go in the season, I really wanted to bump this thread, but unfortunately it was locked.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1015813

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Abooch68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
do you know what the mathematical odds are of that happening?

Not only both of these teams making the SCF, but it going to game 7?

I wasn't a math major, but id wager its an insignificant number.
Still, just the thought.

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Considering that we are talking about the President's Trophy with one game to go in the season, I really wanted to bump this thread, but unfortunately it was locked.

Oh that's great!

Old
04-06-2012, 04:15 PM
JimmyStart*

we got the 1 seed I couldn't care less about the pres. Sorry get over it

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:25 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post

Satrabyk has never known what he's talking about. If the thread wasn't locked it would have been bumped. Oh and look dedalus what a shocker hes been gone all season when we're doing good. Shadowtron for the most part has been gone, bluenote, odc. Tried to avoid saying their names but yknow what it should be pointed out how full of crap those guys were they made a lot of posters miserable piling on when things didnt go their way. Satrabyk hasn't been around much all season either. I give machinehead props for at least staying around. NikC takes jerseygirl out back and beats her to death in that thread lol. Fun times

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 04-06-2012 at 04:39 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Victory*
We're Still In It

So you wouldn't want to play Game 7 of the Finals at MSG? Obviously you would, stop lying to yourself. It's not just a trophy, it actually means something.

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm not scared of the caps just sick of playing them in the playoffs.

The President's trophy is an accomplishment and hardware for our team that has so little of it. Its not the Stanley Cup but in my eyes, it does mean something.

04-06-2012, 05:54 PM
SnowblindNYR

Of course Milbury said that the Rangers aren't the best team in the league but Pittsburgh is. I wouldn't want to play them, but a team that can actually take advantage of their defense can beat that team. They've been giving up an ungodly amount of goals before playing us.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote