HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2012, 10:16 AM
  #976
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
It happens to every team and every GM. The guy advising our GM search made a few awful trades of his own and couldn't draft to save his life during the second half of his tenure (I know the GM doesn't draft but he was in charge of the staff and the philosophy which included the Habs not conducting interviews with players).

It's a new chapter. Focus on the present and future rather than whine about a past that really wasn't as bad as you suggest.
The NHL playoffs start next week. And where will the Canadiens be when they do?

But there are those such as you that think that missing the playoffs and finishing last in the East is "not as bad as others suggest".

You tell people to move on from Gauthier's terrible management. Looks like you need to move on from defending the idiot.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 10:35 AM
  #977
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The NHL playoffs start next week. And where will the Canadiens be when they do?

But there are those such as you that think that missing the playoffs and finishing last in the East is "not as bad as others suggest".

You tell people to move on from Gauthier's terrible management. Looks like you need to move on from defending the idiot.
I think the point is that there isn't any point dwelling on the past. Gainey/Gauthier's time at the helm is over and while they did a lot of good, they ultimately failed, and failed big (especially Gauthier, who did pretty much none of the good).

Dwelling on past mistakes doesn't help, and we can afford to be optimistic that the new regime will be better.

Habs had a really, REALLY bad year, but at the same time, most of us and many hockey insiders (Dreger, LeBrun, Crawford) believe that the team isn't as bad as the record indicates and that a quick turnaround is possible.

Its bad (Gomez, KaCa, Bourque) but at the same time there is reason for optimism (Gorges, Subban, Price, 2 and half men line).

Molson APPEARS to be dedicated to the success of the team and we seem to be leaving no stone unturned in the GM search, so there is plenty to be optimistic about.

Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 10:36 AM
  #978
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
It's reassuring to see how many quality bilingual names are out there rumoured to be either interviewed or candidates of interest for the position of Habs' GM.

For that reason, it's in my opinion absolutely no surprise to see that no one who doesn't speak French is making the list... and that's a good thing in this market.

As most here have agreed in the past, at similar talent/qualification, bilingualism should be a deciding factor and that's what we're seeing.

I'm excited by the process as there are several candidates who I feel might do a great job. It will all boil down to interviews, which candidate shares the same vision as the Savard/Molson tandem when it comes to style of players, coaches, etc.

Last but not least, it's ridiculous the thought that Pat Brisson is not qualified. People were saying the same about Mike Gillis in Vancouver as many fans were very concerned. You'd be hard pressed to find a Canucks' fan not happy with Gillis' decisions thus far, including when he spoke to Vigneault asking him to change his style of coaching and while providing him with players to play a more offensive system.
Deciding factor sure. First quality to separate candidates, I want to win. Communication can be learned, skills can't.

Ginu is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
  #979
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Deciding factor sure. First quality to separate candidates, I want to win. Communication can be learned, skills can't.
Tons of candidates just as qualified that are bilingual. That's my point.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
  #980
schumway2
Registered User
 
schumway2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
I find it hilarious people arguing over the viability of candidates they know nothing about besides their name and what they do.

schumway2 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
  #981
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
I find it hilarious people arguing over the viability of candidates they know nothing about besides their name and what they do.
touchee

really, it amazes me too

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
  #982
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Tons of candidates just as qualified that are bilingual. That's my point.
Really? Honestly, the only guys that would get interviews from other teams are Brisson, Brisebois, McGuire and maybe Giguere.

Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:43 PM
  #983
Habitualwinner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Brisebois Not The Man For The Job

I felt compelled to weigh in on this because there seems to be a surprising amount of support for Julien Brisebois as the next GM.
Interestingly, I work with 2 individuals who have provided me with enough information to realize JB would be a disaster.
Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had no future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL levels.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.

Case closed in my books.

Interestingly, Ex-player #2 said that if it was his choice, given the known pool of candidates, he would go with Marc Bergevin or Claude Loiselle, in that order. It was mentioned that they both know alot of people, they are well-respected. He was leaning towards Bergevin because he has had several different jobs and perspectives within the Blackhawks. Bergevin is seen as a rising star within Chicago, which maybe why Scotty Bowman is so actively pushing Maguire (protecting his son Stan down the road).

Three other unrelated points, but interesting to share:

David Desharnais in the view of one of these guys, was the hardest working professional hockey player he had ever seen. No one apparently works harder in practice and harder on the ice. As a result of his uphill battle to the NHL, he remains extremely humble and is still in contact with many former ECHL and AHL teammates who are stuck in the minors or are out of hockey.

While so many people on these boards absolutely love to bash previous management for trading Ribiero and Lapierre, he are a couple of nuggets on them:
Ribiero is so obsessed with his own stats that he used to check between periods of games to see if he got credit for scoring plays. If he did not, he would whine and complain to anyone who would listen and cry to the referees to pay more attention to second assists. How is THAT for a team first player.
Dallas has been desperately trying to get rid of him for several years because of his impact on team chemistry. He is the most hated man in their dressing room.

Lapierre was hated by his teammates in Hamilton and Montreal because he is just as big a rat in his inter-personal relationships as he is on the ice. For example, he used to snitch on his teammates all the time to the coaching staff and management (this guy got drunk, that guy is fooling around on his girlfriend). Basically he is the hockey equivalent of a schoolyard squealer.


Last edited by Habitualwinner: 04-06-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typos
Habitualwinner is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:47 PM
  #984
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
I felt compelled to weigh in on this because there seems to be a surprising amount of support for Julien Brisebois as the next GM.
Interestingly, I work with 2 individuals who have provided me with enough information to realize JB would be a disaster.
Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had to future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL perspective.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.

Case closed in my books.

Interestingly, Ex-player #2 said that if it was his choice, given the known pool of candidates, he would go with Marc Bergevin or Claude Loiselle, in that order. It was mentioned that they both know alot of people, they are well-respected. He was leaning towards Bergevin because he has had several different jobs and perspectives within the Blackhawks. Bergevin is seen as a rising star within Chicago, which maybe why Scotty Bowman is so actively pushing Maguire (protecting his son Stan down the road).

Two other unrelated points, but interesting to share:

David Desharnais in the view of one of these guys, was the hardest working professional hockey player he had ever seen. No one apparently works harder in practice and harder on the ice. As a result of his uphill battle to the NHL, he remains extremely humble and is still in contact with many former ECHL and AHL teammates who are stuck in the minors or are out of hockey.

While so many people on these boards absolutely love to bash previous management for trading Ribiero and Lapierre, he are a couple of nuggets on them:
Ribiero is so obsessed with his own stats that he used to check between periods of games to see if he got credit for scoring plays. If he did not, he would whine and complain to anyone who would listen and cry to the referees to pay more attention to second assists. How is THAT for a team first player.
Dallas has been desperately trying to get rid of him for several years because of his impact on team chemistry. He is the most hated man in their dressing room.

Lapierre was hated by his teammates in Hamilton and Montreal because he is just as big a rat in his inter-personal relationships as he is on the ice. For example, he used to snitch on his teammates all the time to the coaching staff and management (this guy got drunk, that guy is fooling around on his girlfriend). Basically he is the hockey equivalent of a schoolyard squealer.
That is some serious inside info...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
  #985
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
I felt compelled to weigh in on this because there seems to be a surprising amount of support for Julien Brisebois as the next GM.
Interestingly, I work with 2 individuals who have provided me with enough information to realize JB would be a disaster.
Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had to future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL perspective.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.

Case closed in my books.

Interestingly, Ex-player #2 said that if it was his choice, given the known pool of candidates, he would go with Marc Bergevin or Claude Loiselle, in that order. It was mentioned that they both know alot of people, they are well-respected. He was leaning towards Bergevin because he has had several different jobs and perspectives within the Blackhawks. Bergevin is seen as a rising star within Chicago, which maybe why Scotty Bowman is so actively pushing Maguire (protecting his son Stan down the road).

Two other unrelated points, but interesting to share:

David Desharnais in the view of one of these guys, was the hardest working professional hockey player he had ever seen. No one apparently works harder in practice and harder on the ice. As a result of his uphill battle to the NHL, he remains extremely humble and is still in contact with many former ECHL and AHL teammates who are stuck in the minors or are out of hockey.

While so many people on these boards absolutely love to bash previous management for trading Ribiero and Lapierre, he are a couple of nuggets on them:
Ribiero is so obsessed with his own stats that he used to check between periods of games to see if he got credit for scoring plays. If he did not, he would whine and complain to anyone who would listen and cry to the referees to pay more attention to second assists. How is THAT for a team first player.
Dallas has been desperately trying to get rid of him for several years because of his impact on team chemistry. He is the most hated man in their dressing room.

Lapierre was hated by his teammates in Hamilton and Montreal because he is just as big a rat in his inter-personal relationships as he is on the ice. For example, he used to snitch on his teammates all the time to the coaching staff and management (this guy got drunk, that guy is fooling around on his girlfriend). Basically he is the hockey equivalent of a schoolyard squealer.
Send your info on Brisebois to Mr. Molson and Savard...

habitue* is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:53 PM
  #986
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
It's a new chapter. Focus on the present and future rather than whine about a past that really wasn't as bad as you suggest.
Required reading.

Et le But is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  #987
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Tons of candidates just as qualified that are bilingual. That's my point.
Any restriction that isn't hockey related reduces your talent pool. It's completely contradictory. Unless the top GM candidates are bilingual, your point fails.

At any rate, it's obvious by now that it's pointless trying to convince people who think so strongly about something so illogical.

As I said earlier, you can teach language, you can't teach skill.

Ginu is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:09 PM
  #988
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
I felt compelled to weigh in on this because there seems to be a surprising amount of support for Julien Brisebois as the next GM.
Interestingly, I work with 2 individuals who have provided me with enough information to realize JB would be a disaster.
Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had no future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL levels.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.

Case closed in my books.

Interestingly, Ex-player #2 said that if it was his choice, given the known pool of candidates, he would go with Marc Bergevin or Claude Loiselle, in that order. It was mentioned that they both know alot of people, they are well-respected. He was leaning towards Bergevin because he has had several different jobs and perspectives within the Blackhawks. Bergevin is seen as a rising star within Chicago, which maybe why Scotty Bowman is so actively pushing Maguire (protecting his son Stan down the road).

Three other unrelated points, but interesting to share:

David Desharnais in the view of one of these guys, was the hardest working professional hockey player he had ever seen. No one apparently works harder in practice and harder on the ice. As a result of his uphill battle to the NHL, he remains extremely humble and is still in contact with many former ECHL and AHL teammates who are stuck in the minors or are out of hockey.

While so many people on these boards absolutely love to bash previous management for trading Ribiero and Lapierre, he are a couple of nuggets on them:
Ribiero is so obsessed with his own stats that he used to check between periods of games to see if he got credit for scoring plays. If he did not, he would whine and complain to anyone who would listen and cry to the referees to pay more attention to second assists. How is THAT for a team first player.
Dallas has been desperately trying to get rid of him for several years because of his impact on team chemistry. He is the most hated man in their dressing room.

Lapierre was hated by his teammates in Hamilton and Montreal because he is just as big a rat in his inter-personal relationships as he is on the ice. For example, he used to snitch on his teammates all the time to the coaching staff and management (this guy got drunk, that guy is fooling around on his girlfriend). Basically he is the hockey equivalent of a schoolyard squealer.
Dude, you rock! Posts like yours are why I love these boards. The inside scoop is what gives perspective and insight to so many contentious topics.

Great job and keep em' coming if you got them!

shutehinside is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:14 PM
  #989
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab
 
The Gal Pals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
I felt compelled to weigh in on this because there seems to be a surprising amount of support for Julien Brisebois as the next GM.
Interestingly, I work with 2 individuals who have provided me with enough information to realize JB would be a disaster.
Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had no future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL levels.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.

Case closed in my books.

Interestingly, Ex-player #2 said that if it was his choice, given the known pool of candidates, he would go with Marc Bergevin or Claude Loiselle, in that order. It was mentioned that they both know alot of people, they are well-respected. He was leaning towards Bergevin because he has had several different jobs and perspectives within the Blackhawks. Bergevin is seen as a rising star within Chicago, which maybe why Scotty Bowman is so actively pushing Maguire (protecting his son Stan down the road).

Three other unrelated points, but interesting to share:

David Desharnais in the view of one of these guys, was the hardest working professional hockey player he had ever seen. No one apparently works harder in practice and harder on the ice. As a result of his uphill battle to the NHL, he remains extremely humble and is still in contact with many former ECHL and AHL teammates who are stuck in the minors or are out of hockey.

While so many people on these boards absolutely love to bash previous management for trading Ribiero and Lapierre, he are a couple of nuggets on them:
Ribiero is so obsessed with his own stats that he used to check between periods of games to see if he got credit for scoring plays. If he did not, he would whine and complain to anyone who would listen and cry to the referees to pay more attention to second assists. How is THAT for a team first player.
Dallas has been desperately trying to get rid of him for several years because of his impact on team chemistry. He is the most hated man in their dressing room.

Lapierre was hated by his teammates in Hamilton and Montreal because he is just as big a rat in his inter-personal relationships as he is on the ice. For example, he used to snitch on his teammates all the time to the coaching staff and management (this guy got drunk, that guy is fooling around on his girlfriend). Basically he is the hockey equivalent of a schoolyard squealer.
One of the greatest first posts ever. Keep it coming if you got more info.

The Gal Pals is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
  #990
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitualwinner View Post
I felt compelled to weigh in on this because there seems to be a surprising amount of support for Julien Brisebois as the next GM.
Interestingly, I work with 2 individuals who have provided me with enough information to realize JB would be a disaster.
Ex-player #1 was in the Montreal organization for several years. Back in January, we talked about his perspective on the Habs organization. Here is what he shared:
1. Montreal runs their ECHL and AHL affiliates very professionally and they treat the players very well. Little things like providing game day meals in addition to giving them a cash per diem. This was in stark comparison to the other AHL affiliate he played for, where everything was done on the cheap.
2. Part of the problem in developing players is that there have been so many coaching changes,particularly at the AHL level, that it is difficult to imprint an organizational style that funnels appropriately to the NHL.
3. He had absolutely zero respect for Brisebois (this was January,2012 remember), who he called " a lawyer and pencil pusher, not a very good communicator" and that he had "no ability to assess hockey talent".
4. He said he was (personally) very well treated by Gainey, who actually helped him transition to another organization when it was clear he had no future with the Canadiens. He also said that even minor pro players too young to remember Gainey's career had instant respect for him because of his "presence" and the fact that he was a Hall-of-Famer. This is not an invitation to Gainey-bash...I am just passing along his perspective.

Ex-player#2 played in the NHL several years ago, NOT for the Habs. He remains well connected into the several organizations because he had a 10 year career in the NHL and AHL. As he is approximately 40 years old, many of his former teammates are now coaching and managing at the NHL,AHL and ECHL levels.

When I asked him last week about Brisebois, he said he would be an awful choice because JB would be: "Gauthier The Second". Independent of ex-player #1, he said " he is just not a hockey guy...he is a lawyer". Briseobois is viewed as not having much of a personality. The reason Yzerman brought him to Tampa Bay is that Stevie Y is "not a numbers guy" and the one thing JB has going for him is that he is a capologist.

Case closed in my books.

Interestingly, Ex-player #2 said that if it was his choice, given the known pool of candidates, he would go with Marc Bergevin or Claude Loiselle, in that order. It was mentioned that they both know alot of people, they are well-respected. He was leaning towards Bergevin because he has had several different jobs and perspectives within the Blackhawks. Bergevin is seen as a rising star within Chicago, which maybe why Scotty Bowman is so actively pushing Maguire (protecting his son Stan down the road).

Three other unrelated points, but interesting to share:

David Desharnais in the view of one of these guys, was the hardest working professional hockey player he had ever seen. No one apparently works harder in practice and harder on the ice. As a result of his uphill battle to the NHL, he remains extremely humble and is still in contact with many former ECHL and AHL teammates who are stuck in the minors or are out of hockey.

While so many people on these boards absolutely love to bash previous management for trading Ribiero and Lapierre, he are a couple of nuggets on them:
Ribiero is so obsessed with his own stats that he used to check between periods of games to see if he got credit for scoring plays. If he did not, he would whine and complain to anyone who would listen and cry to the referees to pay more attention to second assists. How is THAT for a team first player.
Dallas has been desperately trying to get rid of him for several years because of his impact on team chemistry. He is the most hated man in their dressing room.

Lapierre was hated by his teammates in Hamilton and Montreal because he is just as big a rat in his inter-personal relationships as he is on the ice. For example, he used to snitch on his teammates all the time to the coaching staff and management (this guy got drunk, that guy is fooling around on his girlfriend). Basically he is the hockey equivalent of a schoolyard squealer.
Thanks for the infos. Still remains a question of opinion. You say that the Habs are greatly seen for how they run their AHL team, I'd say that Brisebois ran that team for a couple of years. Did he improve it? Did he make it worse? Is he responsible or not for it? You tell me. Yet, he was there. Then, he is not a hockey guy. Well your guys have the most tremendous respect for Gainey and seems to me Gainey did for Brisebois as well. Just like my explanation about Bowman and McGuire, if you have the upmost respect for Bowman, you also have to respect the fact that he thinks the world out of McGuire. By the way, your point about Bowman and McGuire is false. They have been close to each other WAY before Bergevin was considered to be anything.

Now, it's one thing to not think he'd do a good job, but seems that your guy #1 doesn't have a whole lot of respect for suits. To call them pencil pusher and all....I mean, again, that pencil pusher had the respect of Gainey and had enough respect to make Yzerman go for him. So I'm not too sure of his assessment.

Gainey: Well clearly, everybody has respect for him. Doesn't make him a great GM. Not sure what the point is. Nobody ever said Gainey wasn't a respectable man. Just that his time was gone. And frankly, not surprised to see that he treated people well. But thanks for the info.

Okay so Brisebois is NOT a hockey person. Fine. You have to hope that in their 1st and 2nd interviews, guys like Molson and Savard will be bright enough to see this. You have to hope so 'cause now, the problem won't be the GM but the owner and that's more problematic. But then, let's say he is not THE BEST out of it...why not add an assistant GM who will? Aren't we not allowed to have complementary people around you? Burke has 1000 of them, why can't Brisebois?

As far as Ribeiro and Lapierre, well again, it goes back about having 20 milk drinkers or deal with the few guys that might not be schoolyard boys yet, based on talent, you can deal with it. But then, it might not even be about that. Even if we agree that Ribeiro had to go, you don't deal him at this incredibly low value. Geez, we would have had Trevor Daley and chances are we would not have thought that this deal was an awful one. But we should have been able to make him produce yet again after finishing #1 scorer, and have him the greatest value possible. For Lapierre, well suddenly, he's a nice boy who everybody in Vancouver can deal with. 'Cause like I keep saying, once a cancer, always a cancer. Like Avery. And then it goes back to the reality of this market. If Martin recognizes the merit of Lapierre, he still plays here no matter the attitude. But then, we'll see what Timmins can make out of that 5th round pick....we might be happy in the future.

Having said all of that, whether we agree or not with the points you or your friends made, thanks for sharing it. Much appreciated.

Whitesnake is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.