HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Fighting etiquette

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
  #1
roaddogg02316
Registered User
 
roaddogg02316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Fighting etiquette

Was watching some hockey fights that someone posted. There was a Greg Campbell/Joe Vitale fight in which Vitale left his left glove on. It was a pretty heated battle til the end when Vitale clocked Campbell with a good gloved left.
Is there any rule that prohibits keeping a glove on? I know I had seen this in the minors. The guy who kept the glove on had an injured hand, but I almost want to say he never used that hand.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:42 PM
  #2
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
If you get punched with gloves it hurts a lot more than with a fist. Take them off please.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:48 PM
  #3
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Yeah but is it a rule in the NHL or is it just sort of an unwritten rule?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:14 PM
  #4
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
I thought fighting with a glove on was an additional penalty, but the last time I heard that was about 25 years ago, so I could be wrong...

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:22 PM
  #5
DontTazMeBro
LoveYouRyanNash
 
DontTazMeBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,984
vCash: 500
Yeah I think fighting with a glove is an additional penalty. That's what it used to be at least. Don't know if they changed that rule. They probably just call it unsportsmanlike.

__________________
Stanley Cup Champions
1934 1938 1961 2010 2013
R.I.P Ryan Nash.
Old username: LoveYouRyanNash
GO HAWKS!
DontTazMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:35 AM
  #6
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,702
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Fighting with any sort of foreign object on your hand is a match penalty.

Quote:
46.15 Match Penalty - Any player wearing tape or any other material on his hands (below the wrist) who cuts or injures an opponent during an altercation will receive a match penalty in addition to any other penalties imposed including for fighting under this rule.
This could very easily apply to gloves. as well as the movie things like tape or foil. However, a single gloved punch that does not turn into a full fledged fight is simply a two minute minor for roughing.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:14 AM
  #7
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 500
If you're fighting, drop the gloves. Better yet, though, if you're playing beer league, just don't fight at all.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:46 AM
  #8
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
If you get punched with gloves it hurts a lot more than with a fist. Take them off please.
Are you serious?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
  #9
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Are you serious?
The reason they penalize gloved fighting is because gloves cut up the face a lot more than just fists. The material on the outside of a hockey glove will just rip skin if you fight with them on. I remember seeing the result of a few gloved punches back in the 70s and it was not pretty.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:23 PM
  #10
roaddogg02316
Registered User
 
roaddogg02316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
The reason they penalize gloved fighting is because gloves cut up the face a lot more than just fists. The material on the outside of a hockey glove will just rip skin if you fight with them on. I remember seeing the result of a few gloved punches back in the 70s and it was not pretty.
I looked back to the box score for that game and Vitale was not assessed an additional penalty for it.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
  #11
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddogg02316 View Post
I looked back to the box score for that game and Vitale was not assessed an additional penalty for it.
That's because there is no penalty for "gloved" fighting. It's called roughing.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
  #12
shawn1331
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
I know for certain it's an unwritten rule. The common thing to do is dropp the gloves or your labeled a pu$$y but you usually get an unsportsmanlike penalty. No rule on the glove thing but it's just not cool to do it.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
  #13
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R13Yk...eature=related

Notice the cut up face.

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:47 AM
  #14
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
And that shows that sometime during that scuffle his face was cut. It does nothing to support your claim, especially since the cut was inside the visor and probably done by the helmet. Thanks.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:29 AM
  #15
Wilch
Unregistered User
 
Wilch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Under your bed
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
And that shows that sometime during that scuffle his face was cut. It does nothing to support your claim, especially since the cut was inside the visor and probably done by the helmet. Thanks.
If you don't believe us, feel free to volunteer and let us test it out on you.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
  #16
roaddogg02316
Registered User
 
roaddogg02316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
That's because there is no penalty for "gloved" fighting. It's called roughing.
Well no kidding, but not even a roughing penalty called for it.


Last edited by TMI: 04-06-2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: removed quote and response
roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
  #17
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
And that shows that sometime during that scuffle his face was cut. It does nothing to support your claim, especially since the cut was inside the visor and probably done by the helmet. Thanks.
No offense, but I think it you go back and read up on hockey history, you'd quickly discover that they specifically banned this way back when because gloves will absolutely rip up your face in a fight. Forgeting for a moment any hard plastic in the glove, the outer material on most gloves is much more abrasive than skin and it will cut you badly if it's moving quickly across your face. That's why they don't allow gloved fighting.

If you don't believe me, press your fist up against your forehead hard and rub it across quickly. Then put a glove on a do it again. Tell us which one feels worse.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:51 PM
  #18
TheShoe82
No Diving!
 
TheShoe82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
No offense, but I think it you go back and read up on hockey history, you'd quickly discover that they specifically banned this way back when because gloves will absolutely rip up your face in a fight. Forgeting for a moment any hard plastic in the glove, the outer material on most gloves is much more abrasive than skin and it will cut you badly if it's moving quickly across your face. That's why they don't allow gloved fighting.

If you don't believe me, press your fist up against your forehead hard and rub it across quickly. Then put a glove on a do it again. Tell us which one feels worse.
+1

I got punched in a beer league game once. I usually wear a cage but had the visor on for a stretch. It scratched my cornea and my eye swelled up like a balloon. The cage went back on after that, and have had it ever since.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
  #19
Trojan35
Registered User
 
Trojan35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
However, a single gloved punch that does not turn into a full fledged fight is simply a two minute minor for roughing.
Depends on the force of the punch and if it's a jab or a full out cross. Players in the NHL have been suspended for a single gloved punch. It's both dirty and adds extra momentum to the punch.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:27 AM
  #20
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?
 
Splitbtw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
+1

I got punched in a beer league game once. I usually wear a cage but had the visor on for a stretch. It scratched my cornea and my eye swelled up like a balloon. The cage went back on after that, and have had it ever since.
One of many reasons I wear a cage. I've taken a few punches to the cage (of wondering, I am wearing a cage, your punch is only going to send you off).

Back when I was a kid, the neighborhood kids and I would box on skates with gloves and without helmets. They were older and I would always get the wrong side of the outcome. Looking back, it was stupid bc the gloves are still firm but protect the fists by softening the blow.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 08:34 AM
  #21
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Are you serious?
the glove has a lot more surface area than a bare fist. Even if it isn't as hard, it can do more damage than just a fist. Do you think Bertuzzi would have broken moores neck with just his fist? The glove provided a bigger surface to impact his entire head.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.