Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
General Stars Talk IV: The Prequel

Continue here, to discuss all things Stars.

General Stars Talk
More General Stars Talk
In Search of General Stars Talk

Last edited by piqued: 01-15-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old
04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
First.

Recap: Glennie and Dillon and probably Reilly Smith in against the Blues on Saturday.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
Reilly Smith damn well better be in.

Speculation if Gagliardi is pissed enough is he the type of guy who will strongly encourage Niewendyk to turn this roster over? As a general rule I don't like owners' meddling but in this case it might be good. What does everyone think he'll do because I can't believe he'll watch another season like this unfold all on his dime.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Hell, I hope he's got Nieuwy on the hot seat, not just his players.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:32 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

We can't blame this season on Nieuwy can we .. He did everything he could last off-season with the little money he had to spend and did a great job IMO. For me it's all on the veterans and the PP this year.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Speculation if Gagliardi is pissed enough is he the type of guy who will strongly encourage Niewendyk to turn this roster over? As a general rule I don't like owners' meddling but in this case it might be good. What does everyone think he'll do because I can't believe he'll watch another season like this unfold all on his dime.
How would you turn the roster over? I am pessimistic on the UFA front, and I think the team needs a defenseman and 2 top 6 wingers, although the odds are they will sign one and hope to fill from within. I think we should try to flip some older players, but what can we get for Morrow and Robidas that would make the team better today?

Old
04-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
We can't blame this season on Nieuwy can we .. He did everything he could last off-season with the little money he had to spend and did a great job IMO. For me it's all on the veterans and the PP this year.
Really can't. He couldn't grossly overpay to offset the lack of depth this team has. He did what he could to get a guy like Ryder and some solid bottom 6 'talent'. He didn't rush our prospects, but didn't force Gully to play guys who might have a better shot at producing at the NHL level. But hey, we'll see Glennie and Dillon tomorrow and hopefully next year.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Gully:
Quote:
"We've had guys taking injections here to get through a game. These same players can get through a practice without it. You won't see a couple of those guys tomorrow," Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said. "Most likely Steve Ott, depending on how he is tomorrow. Radek Dvorak, you guys all know. Guys that you probably didn't know would be (Stephane) Robidas and (Mike) Ribeiro that have been playing injured. Those guys and possibly Brenden (Morrow). At the end the day you don't want to give them the needle to play."
Can't help but wonder the logic behind giving guys so injured so many minutes a night, and not seeing what young blood like Smith could have done. Yes it was a playoff push and stakes were high, but guys playing at 50-60% is no better than playing a rookie or a 4th liner.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:45 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Some people were asking in the previous thread why both Fraser and Sceviour weren't getting called up. Teams only have 4 recalls available after the trade deadline. Jordie Benn was one of those.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Dur, recalls...

Reilly Smith, Jordie Benn, Scott Glennie and Brenden Dillon... do we have one more or was Reilly Smith one of those 4 recalls?

Old
04-06-2012, 02:47 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

I don't think R. Smith counted but I'm not absolutely sure about that. I think that means they should have 1 recall remaining.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I don't think R. Smith counted but I'm not absolutely sure about that. I think that means they should have 1 recall remaining.
I hope it means we get a surprise call up.

Also,

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1156267

Old
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
How would you turn the roster over? I am pessimistic on the UFA front, and I think the team needs a defenseman and 2 top 6 wingers, although the odds are they will sign one and hope to fill from within. I think we should try to flip some older players, but what can we get for Morrow and Robidas that would make the team better today?
I can better answer this question if I know what your goal is next season. Are you trying to get younger realizing that you may need another year or two to really compete? Are you trying to duplicate the Florida model with some 2nd tier FAs and a trade or two? Long term and short term goals don't always coincide.

I know Gagliardi is probably desperate to make the playoffs, sell tickets and get this team moving forward but so is Toronto and the results haven't matched for almost 10 years. It's time for a honest hard look at this roster where the answer may be 2013-2014 and not this next season. I'm just not sure that's the direction they'll take.

I'd rather they sign some one year stop gap contracts, keep the kids in the minors till they prove they're ready, ship out UFAs at the deadline and roll with the kids for half a season knowing they'll struggle but add talent to the pipeline with the goal of 2013 then more of this same crap again next year.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:49 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I hope it means we get a surprise call up.

Also,

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1156267
^ Good call making that.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
"We've had guys taking injections here to get through a game. These same players can get through a practice without it. You won't see a couple of those guys tomorrow," Stars coach Glen Gulutzan said. "Most likely Steve Ott, depending on how he is tomorrow. Radek Dvorak, you guys all know. Guys that you probably didn't know would be (Stephane) Robidas and (Mike) Ribeiro that have been playing injured. Those guys and possibly Brenden (Morrow). At the end the day you don't want to give them the needle to play."
But yet, when Dvorak was sitting out he said why play a guy at 60% when we have guys at 100%. Honestly, just sounds like excuses for their failures to me.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
04-06-2012, 02:58 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Oh yeah, you could see the disclosures of injuries after the fact coming from a mile away. All teams are dealing with this stuff. Some make excuses, some don't.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
^ Good call making that.
Now all I need a Glennie avatar. Preferably one of him stomping on the Stanley Cup or something, like Godzilla.

Last edited by Frozen Failure: 04-06-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old
04-06-2012, 03:05 PM
CRSeven
Ballon d'Or 2013

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Now all I need a Glennie avatar. Preferably one of him stomping on the Stanley Cup or something like Godzilla.
Let's just all make our avatars Scott Glennie.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
But yet, when Dvorak was sitting out he said why play a guy at 60% when we have guys at 100%. Honestly, just sounds like excuses for their failures to me.
If this goes back all the way to the trade deadline, would Ott and Ribeiro even pass a physical?

Totally agree. Playing so many guys injured is just stupid.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:24 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Everyone a veteran in that group to.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I can better answer this question if I know what your goal is next season. Are you trying to get younger realizing that you may need another year or two to really compete? Are you trying to duplicate the Florida model with some 2nd tier FAs and a trade or two? Long term and short term goals don't always coincide.

I know Gagliardi is probably desperate to make the playoffs, sell tickets and get this team moving forward but so is Toronto and the results haven't matched for almost 10 years. It's time for a honest hard look at this roster where the answer may be 2013-2014 and not this next season. I'm just not sure that's the direction they'll take.

I'd rather they sign some one year stop gap contracts, keep the kids in the minors till they prove they're ready, ship out UFAs at the deadline and roll with the kids for half a season knowing they'll struggle but add talent to the pipeline with the goal of 2013 then more of this same crap again next year.
The Florida model, except the team doesn't need a drastic overhaul, just a few new faces. I think the team needs to take a step forward, which means making the playoffs. Gaglardi will want to make an impact as a new owner, so he will try to sign some big names. I think the free agent marketplace is going to be expensive, and the best case (realistic) scenario is PA Parenteau and Dennis Wideman/Jason Garrison.

I am with you as far as being optimistic about the farm system and developing players who will be ready to challenge for NHL spots, but the quality of players who will be available for stop gap contracts will be too low, and the risk will be turning into a zombie franchise like the flames, where we have players who are wasting their prime years surrounded by scrubs. The talent level needs to be raised, and if prospects can make the step up when they are ready, so much the better.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:03 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
PAP is only useful with Tavares. I think he could get 60 points with Benn, but the money he'll command isn't worth that.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:08 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

It's now confirmed by the Stars twitter

"The Dallas Stars have recalled forward Scott Glennie, defenseman Jordie Benn and defenseman Brenden Dillon from the Texas Stars."

Old
04-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
It's now confirmed by the Stars twitter

"The Dallas Stars have recalled forward Scott Glennie, defenseman Jordie Benn and defenseman Brenden Dillon from the Texas Stars."
But Benn has been with the team since the deadline... odd?

Never mind, he played yesterday versus Peoria.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
PAP is only useful with Tavares. I think he could get 60 points with Benn, but the money he'll command isn't worth that.
I think Benn can make it happen for PAP, and I think he will be overpaid, but who else is out there? I don't think anyone wants to risk paying Semin, or even that he would play here rather than in the KHL. Kostitsyn? Hudler?

I know the response is wait for Glennie/the Smiths/Fraser/etc, but look at Wandell and Vincour who haven't really made the next step. I like both players, but does anyone think they are 2nd line material? I just see younger Fiddler and Dvorak, which is fine, but this is a window for the Stars that isn't going to be open forever. They have cap space, new ownership that wants to win, and young core players making less than they are worth. They need to make the playoffs, and then we will see how good Benn and Lehtinen really are.

Closed Thread