HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Kirill Kabanov (2010, 65th, NYI) I to IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-04-2012, 09:07 AM
  #3901
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,146
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
He's high risk, just like he was on draft day. He needs development and tutoring, but he's got skills that can't be taught. Not like he was a 1st rounder.


He's not high risk.

He was a 3rd rounder, in a draft where the isles had extra picks.If he works out , great. If he doesn't ,it only cost a 3rd.
Next season he'll be at Bridgeport.

If he plays well,I would not be surprised if he got a cup of coffee callup,like De Haan and Ullstrom have this season.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
02-04-2012, 01:00 PM
  #3902
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
He's not high risk.

He was a 3rd rounder, in a draft where the isles had extra picks.If he works out , great. If he doesn't ,it only cost a 3rd.
Next season he'll be at Bridgeport.

If he plays well,I would not be surprised if he got a cup of coffee callup,like De Haan and Ullstrom have this season.
Exactly, Kabanov is no risk all reward. With Tavares/Moulson/Okposo/Niederreiter/Strome the Isles are stacked with young players up front. They're also stacked with other midlevel forward prospects like Nelson, Cizikas, Ullstrom, et al.

So if Kabanov pans out, great. Good investment of a 3rd round pick. If he doesn't, it's not like there aren't comparable players to step in and fill the void.

KH1 is offline  
Old
02-04-2012, 07:13 PM
  #3903
OilBuoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 216
vCash: 500
Kabanov was caught with his head down tonight against Saint John and didn`t return after the hit. Out with a possible concussion. Gormley also took a skate to the neck at the end of the game and was taken to hospital in an ambulance.

Edit: Apparently Gormley injury is not serious. Good news.


Last edited by OilBuoy: 02-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
OilBuoy is offline  
Old
02-08-2012, 06:50 AM
  #3904
Sideliner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
For the record he was blindsided! As some of you state, he is trying to
"fly right" after a prolonged stunt period. My monicker is indicative
of my lack of interest in hockey in general and leads me to fixate on one thing
"offense". In Moncton Kirill didn't have the line mates to complement
his game. I don't condone his behaviour there but being on line 3
with 2 lights didn't help. I was at the Shaw at SNB game and got to
talk to him next AM. That charm was there and he was A1 listening to me.
I wished him well (for he is very entertaining on ice and a treat
to see his hockey savvy) pleaded with him to shoot more. He is the
consumate playmaker and will forego sure shooting chances, not good
in my book unless your winger is a sniper. Hope his injury is not
to serious (talk of concussio) as he was on a steady course albeit
on "cruise control" rather than climbing speed.

Sideliner is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:50 AM
  #3905
h22prelude93
Registered User
 
h22prelude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St.Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Kirill Kabanov

Just wondering what the word is on this kid nowadays? I remember there being a lot of talk of him before the 2010 draft, and being surprised that he fell to the 3rd round. I remember there was a little controversy surrounding him for being rejected from the Russian junior team, but it looks like he had a pretty solid season this year in the QMJHL. Does anyone know if he is expected to make the Islanders roster next season or does he still probably need to develop more?



BTW looking at the Islanders prospect pool...they are going to be absolutely stacked in a few years.

h22prelude93 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 03:58 AM
  #3906
Dares
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Is he still alive ?

Dares is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 04:16 AM
  #3907
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
BTW looking at the Islanders prospect pool...they are going to be absolutely stacked in a few years.
Great depth but I am not sold on top end potential(ie first line forwards or top pairing defensemen)

In the case of Kabanov, he had a good(slightly above a PPG) but not great season. Should be playing in Bridgeport next season. My guess is he is in the KHL in 2-3 seasons, if he does make the NHL maybe a 50 point second liner.

boredmale is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 04:24 AM
  #3908
h22prelude93
Registered User
 
h22prelude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St.Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dares View Post
Is he still alive ?
It's like he fell of the face of the earth. I remember people saying that he should have gone Top 20. Now you don't hear a peep about him. His stats from this season are listed below. Also he is 2+2 in 4gp in the Q's play-offs so far. Wonder why people forgot about this guy.


2011-12 Stats
Kirill Kabanov (RW)
SHAWINIGAN, CATARACTES
Name: Kirill Kabanov
Number: 77
Pos.: RW
Shoots: R
Height: 6'02"
Weight: 199
Birthdate: 1992-07-16
Birthplace: Moscow, Russia

50GP 21G 34A 55P +32

h22prelude93 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 04:39 AM
  #3909
h22prelude93
Registered User
 
h22prelude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St.Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Great depth but I am not sold on top end potential(ie first line forwards or top pairing defensemen)

In the case of Kabanov, he had a good(slightly above a PPG) but not great season. Should be playing in Bridgeport next season. My guess is he is in the KHL in 2-3 seasons, if he does make the NHL maybe a 50 point second liner.
Okay so he's expected to play in the AHL next season, and maybe make the NHL in the next few. Makes sense. It doesn't seem there's much room for him on RW with Parenteau, Okposo, and Grabner. And I couldn't see him being used as a 4th liner. Also, just noticed Niederreiter has one goal and zero assists in 54 games and is -29. Ouch! Is he considered some what of a bust or was he perhaps rushed into the NHL?

h22prelude93 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 04:48 AM
  #3910
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Okay so he's expected to play in the AHL next season, and maybe make the NHL in the next few. Makes sense. It doesn't seem there's much room for him on RW with Parenteau, Okposo, and Grabner. And I couldn't see him being used as a 4th liner. Also, just noticed Niederreiter has one goal and zero assists in 54 games and is -29. Ouch! Is he considered some what of a bust or was he perhaps rushed into the NHL?
I would go with Rushed(Nino). He basically has played the bulk of the season on the 4th line with 2 guys who can't score or pass. Type of guy who would have benifited if the NHL didn't have rules about 19 year olds playing in the AHL

As an Islanders fan, given the teams scoring whoas beyond the first line I don't know why they didn't try him out with Bailey or Nielsen for a few games. As for Kabanov, if he ever proved he is ready for the NHL he would either be traded or we would dump Grabner. I personally am not penciling Kabanov to make the team on a regular basis anytime soon. He is basically good enough to deserve a chance to see what he can do but not good enough for me to get my hopes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Now you don't hear a peep about him.
Probably because he has been a good boy off the ice.


Last edited by boredmale: 04-06-2012 at 04:54 AM.
boredmale is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 05:09 AM
  #3911
h22prelude93
Registered User
 
h22prelude93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St.Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I would go with Rushed(Nino). He basically has played the bulk of the season on the 4th line with 2 guys who can't score or pass. Type of guy who would have benifited if the NHL didn't have rules about 19 year olds playing in the AHL

As an Islanders fan, given the teams scoring whoas beyond the first line I don't know why they didn't try him out with Bailey or Nielsen for a few games. As for Kabanov, if he ever proved he is ready for the NHL he would either be traded or we would dump Grabner. I personally am not penciling Kabanov to make the team on a regular basis anytime soon. He is basically good enough to deserve a chance to see what he can do but not good enough for me to get my hopes up.



Probably because he has been a good boy off the ice.
Maybe they should send both Nino and Kabanov to Bridgeport next season then. That way Nino could benefit by gaining a little confidence, and Kabanov could use the experience. Then maybe if one or both impresses call them up and see what they can do. Kabanov seems like a real boom or bust guy. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens with him.

I found this quote earlier;
Quote:
"A risky pick? I can promise you ... is there a video camera?" he said, motioning to a tape recorder. After locating a television camera in front of him, Kabonov spoke directly his new fan base.
"I can promise you that I will not leave New York. I can give to all the fans my passport. So they don't think I'll go back to Russia."

h22prelude93 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 05:34 AM
  #3912
Isles72
Registered User
 
Isles72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
barring any training camp surprises there could be a line of Nino--B.Nelson--Kabanov coming to an AHL city near you.

Isles72 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 07:30 AM
  #3913
Felix Unger
formerly Dan-o16
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 13,859
vCash: 500
All I can tell by the stats, is that he played on a powerhouse QMJHL team with extraordinarily distributed scoring (a team that had 8 20g scorers, plus more in the high-teens). He hasn't made any noise. There have been reports that he's gotten more physical and more involved away from the puck. That's all pretty good news.

Now he's not tearing it up, as you might expect he should. Still, he's only 19. There's time. He can spend 2 years in the AHL, and then we'll see what we have.

Believe it or not, his great fall in the draft might be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Felix Unger is online now  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:30 AM
  #3914
blinkman360
Norris
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lawn Guyland
Country: United States
Posts: 10,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
barring any training camp surprises there could be a line of Nino--B.Nelson--Kabanov coming to an AHL city near you.
My pants just got tight.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 10:34 AM
  #3915
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bracknell,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 24,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
barring any training camp surprises there could be a line of Nino--B.Nelson--Kabanov coming to an AHL city near you.
or an NHL 4th line if Wang has his way .

wej20 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 10:45 AM
  #3916
Torts
Moderator
Dont Doubt the Trout
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,261
vCash: 500
always an intriguing story with this kid

i look forward to watching him in the mem cup

i hope he's gotten everything back on track and is in the NHL in a few years

Torts is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 10:51 AM
  #3917
SI90
Registered User
 
SI90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 27,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
barring any training camp surprises there could be a line of Nino--B.Nelson--Kabanov coming to an AHL city near you.
Dirty!!!

SI90 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  #3918
s04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Kabanov has good tools and can be really elusive offensively with this package of size/skills/speed but the problem is consistency. You watch him on a 3 game weekend and he goes through all the performances he can offer: horrible, bad and awesome.

Needs to work on that and be focused every night to bring his A game more often.

s04 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
  #3919
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 33,146
vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Just wondering what the word is on this kid nowadays? I remember there being a lot of talk of him before the 2010 draft, and being surprised that he fell to the 3rd round. I remember there was a little controversy surrounding him for being rejected from the Russian junior team, but it looks like he had a pretty solid season this year in the QMJHL. Does anyone know if he is expected to make the Islanders roster next season or does he still probably need to develop more?



BTW looking at the Islanders prospect pool...they are going to be absolutely stacked in a few years.
Isles will give him every chance, to win a roster spot out of training camp.I expect he'll be sent to Bridgeport though.

This season, we saw Ullstrom,Cizikas,Ness,De Haan and Donovan get called up at different points.Rewarded for their play at Bridgeport.I expect Kabanov to geta cup of coffee callup next season.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
  #3920
seafoam
The Real Winner
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 45,720
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Okay so he's expected to play in the AHL next season, and maybe make the NHL in the next few. Makes sense. It doesn't seem there's much room for him on RW with Parenteau, Okposo, and Grabner. And I couldn't see him being used as a 4th liner. Also, just noticed Niederreiter has one goal and zero assists in 54 games and is -29. Ouch! Is he considered some what of a bust or was he perhaps rushed into the NHL?
Kirill, Kabanov that is, should be in the AHL next year with the Bridgeport Sounds Tigers. As for Nino, he should also be playing with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The only reason he has played on the Island is because his salary helps get the Isles over the cap floor. He has no business playing in the NHL at the age of 19. He is far away from a bust and just needs top six minutes to develop probably. Playing >9 minutes a game with Marty Reasoner and Jay Pandolfo haven't exactly helped him put up some points. Statistics in this case are deceiving (sp).

seafoam is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
  #3921
seafoam
The Real Winner
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 45,720
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s04 View Post
Kabanov has good tools and can be really elusive offensively with this package of size/skills/speed but the problem is consistency. You watch him on a 3 game weekend and he goes through all the performances he can offer: horrible, bad and awesome.

Needs to work on that and be focused every night to bring his A game more often.
And I expect Brent Thompson, the coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers to do just that.

seafoam is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:12 PM
  #3922
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,312
vCash: 50
Seen him play a few times and in those games he has looked really good. Very creative with the puck, vision and hockey sense are outstanding. Underrated skater as well. He really reminds me of a playmaking version of Alexander Semin. About the same talent, heart, body frame, and playing style. Kabanov is just a better passer while Semin has a way better shot. If Kirill didn't have those issues a few seasons ago, he would've definitely been a top 15 pick.

S E P H is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
  #3923
Nolanitis
Registered User
 
Nolanitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
The fact that you have heard nothing about him is the key. For the 1st season in a while the kid has played virtually every game (except an extended absence for grandmothers death). He needed a year to work on only hockey. He very well might turn into that 1st round pick.

He certainly wants to be around the tri-state area, so the Bridge is a great starting point next season.

Nolanitis is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
  #3924
pattyb91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
He has really improved his defensive game, and has tried to be better along the boards. He is a lot more well rounded than he was in his draft year, on the ice and off. He, himself will tell you that during his draft year and the year before he was not in the right state of mind, he was letting problems off the ice (at home) bother him on the ice. He has grown tremendously as a person, and last year really began to treat hockey with the determination and focus of an NHL'er. Another thing I've been extremely impressed about is his leadership. Every Russian kid that is apart of the Isles organization, Kabanov has welcomed and helped to feel comfortable. Kabanov made the lives of Andrey Pedan, Anton Klementyev, and Kirill Petrov much easier during their time on Long Island.

pattyb91 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
  #3925
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
And tonight he currently has a point on all 3 goals for the Cataractes (1G, 2A).

ShawnTHW is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.