HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Kirill Kabanov (2010, 65th overall, New York Islanders; UFA) II "Bought Out"

Old
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Just wondering what the word is on this kid nowadays? I remember there being a lot of talk of him before the 2010 draft, and being surprised that he fell to the 3rd round. I remember there was a little controversy surrounding him for being rejected from the Russian junior team, but it looks like he had a pretty solid season this year in the QMJHL. Does anyone know if he is expected to make the Islanders roster next season or does he still probably need to develop more?

BTW looking at the Islanders prospect pool...they are going to be absolutely stacked in a few years.
Isles will give him every chance, to win a roster spot out of training camp.I expect he'll be sent to Bridgeport though.

This season, we saw Ullstrom,Cizikas,Ness,De Haan and Donovan get called up at different points.Rewarded for their play at Bridgeport.I expect Kabanov to geta cup of coffee callup next season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:54 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Quote:
Okay so he's expected to play in the AHL next season, and maybe make the NHL in the next few. Makes sense. It doesn't seem there's much room for him on RW with Parenteau, Okposo, and Grabner. And I couldn't see him being used as a 4th liner. Also, just noticed Niederreiter has one goal and zero assists in 54 games and is -29. Ouch! Is he considered some what of a bust or was he perhaps rushed into the NHL?
Kirill, Kabanov that is, should be in the AHL next year with the Bridgeport Sounds Tigers. As for Nino, he should also be playing with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The only reason he has played on the Island is because his salary helps get the Isles over the cap floor. He has no business playing in the NHL at the age of 19. He is far away from a bust and just needs top six minutes to develop probably. Playing >9 minutes a game with Marty Reasoner and Jay Pandolfo haven't exactly helped him put up some points. Statistics in this case are deceiving (sp).

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by s04 View Post
Kabanov has good tools and can be really elusive offensively with this package of size/skills/speed but the problem is consistency. You watch him on a 3 game weekend and he goes through all the performances he can offer: horrible, bad and awesome.

Needs to work on that and be focused every night to bring his A game more often.
And I expect Brent Thompson, the coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers to do just that.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:12 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Seen him play a few times and in those games he has looked really good. Very creative with the puck, vision and hockey sense are outstanding. Underrated skater as well. He really reminds me of a playmaking version of Alexander Semin. About the same talent, heart, body frame, and playing style. Kabanov is just a better passer while Semin has a way better shot. If Kirill didn't have those issues a few seasons ago, he would've definitely been a top 15 pick.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Nolanitis

The fact that you have heard nothing about him is the key. For the 1st season in a while the kid has played virtually every game (except an extended absence for grandmothers death). He needed a year to work on only hockey. He very well might turn into that 1st round pick.

He certainly wants to be around the tri-state area, so the Bridge is a great starting point next season.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
He has really improved his defensive game, and has tried to be better along the boards. He is a lot more well rounded than he was in his draft year, on the ice and off. He, himself will tell you that during his draft year and the year before he was not in the right state of mind, he was letting problems off the ice (at home) bother him on the ice. He has grown tremendously as a person, and last year really began to treat hockey with the determination and focus of an NHL'er. Another thing I've been extremely impressed about is his leadership. Every Russian kid that is apart of the Isles organization, Kabanov has welcomed and helped to feel comfortable. Kabanov made the lives of Andrey Pedan, Anton Klementyev, and Kirill Petrov much easier during their time on Long Island.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

And tonight he currently has a point on all 3 goals for the Cataractes (1G, 2A).

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:26 PM
mikeo1

Wasnt this the kid being touted as one of the favourites for the number one pick the season before his draft?

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 08:53 AM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
He has really improved his defensive game, and has tried to be better along the boards. He is a lot more well rounded than he was in his draft year, on the ice and off. He, himself will tell you that during his draft year and the year before he was not in the right state of mind, he was letting problems off the ice (at home) bother him on the ice. He has grown tremendously as a person, and last year really began to treat hockey with the determination and focus of an NHL'er. Another thing I've been extremely impressed about is his leadership. Every Russian kid that is apart of the Isles organization, Kabanov has welcomed and helped to feel comfortable. Kabanov made the lives of Andrey Pedan, Anton Klementyev, and Kirill Petrov much easier during their time on Long Island.
I was goin to post something similar but you said it perfect. Bravo, good post sir.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
birddog*

He's a head case, always has been. Those failing to see it are missing the obvious. He doesn't have the mindset to be an NHL player.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Temego

A huge disappointment. Could have been a real gem, but two years later he's still playing juniors and not even dominating it seems.

Temego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He's a head case, always has been. Those failing to see it are missing the obvious. He doesn't have the mindset to be an NHL player.
What are you talking about? His focus has been fine for a while now, if anything he's just not as good as people thought he could be at a younger age. That happens all the time (See Andrei Kostitsyn), but Kabanov hasn't acted out in a long time and should make the NHL.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
Seen him play a few times and in those games he has looked really good. Very creative with the puck, vision and hockey sense are outstanding. Underrated skater as well. He really reminds me of a playmaking version of Alexander Semin. About the same talent, heart, body frame, and playing style. Kabanov is just a better passer while Semin has a way better shot. If Kirill didn't have those issues a few seasons ago, he would've definitely been a top 15 pick.
Sorry, but no.

Kabanov has skills, but he doesn't have Alexander Semin level talent.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:30 PM
pattyb91

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I love when people say stuff like this.....your basing your opinion of him on what you have heard the media say years ago, if you saw it yourself or from anyone who would have seen it then you would have some credibility. The people that do know him like the Islanders felt he was good enough to earn an ELC last spring.

Old
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
pattyb91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Sorry, but no.

Kirill doesn't have Semin's skills, but he has a better defensive game and IMO more heart.

Old
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

He's already a rockstar on the Island and has a relationship with the fans..He is one of the Nicest players I have ever met. He needed to mature a bit. What were you like at 17?

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:25 PM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Sorry, but no.

Kabanov is very talented and definitely no less talented than Semin.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
I like Kabanov a lot and am really pushing for the guy, but he's just not as talented as many thought he was going to be. He's still very skilled and actually is committed to learning the defensive game, so I think he will have a nice career, but I'm not sure if he quite has Semin's offensive game.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:56 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sorry, but no.

Semin is overrated. True that Kabanov's level is below Semin's, but it's not that far off imo.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Okay so he's expected to play in the AHL next season, and maybe make the NHL in the next few. Makes sense. It doesn't seem there's much room for him on RW with Parenteau, Okposo, and Grabner. And I couldn't see him being used as a 4th liner. Also, just noticed Niederreiter has one goal and zero assists in 54 games and is -29. Ouch! Is he considered some what of a bust or was he perhaps rushed into the NHL?
How can a guy ever be considered a bust when he could be young enough to play in Jr instead oif the NHL?

He wasn't ready and it's pretty clear why the NYI are picking high again this year.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
Semin has the talent level to be one of the best wingers in the NHL.

Kabanov has the talent level to maybe be a 1st-2nd line regular.

Sorry, but if Kabanov had Semin's skills he should be outright destroying the QMJHL as a 19 year old (regardless of circumstance).

Last edited by Zine: 04-07-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Brovalchuk

Hes good in NHL12.

Brovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovalchuk View Post
Hes good in NHL12.
Yup I got him on the second line for the Bruins 60 something games into the season he has like 47 goals

BTW I traded Joe Corvo & a pick for him

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:44 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Delete.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:44 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Please...Semin has one of, if not THE best release in the entire world.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote