HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

View Poll Results: what to do with the #3 pick?
Trade up to get Grigorenko (for #3 pick + player) 15 10.64%
Draft Forsberg 35 24.82%
Draft Galchenyuk 83 58.87%
Draft Murray 4 2.84%
other (specify) 4 2.84%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsoil View Post
Off topic here, but if nashville gets eliminated early does that lower their 2nd rounder we got from them?
Only if teams below them reach the final four.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:51 PM
JetsAlternate

I'm hoping you guys win the lottery. This team needs another Rocket.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:55 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I'm hoping you guys win the lottery. This team needs another Rocket.
Thanks, man. I think we'll do fine with Grigorenko honestly.

And I am really disappointed that the Jets didn't make the playoffs I hate every team that's in the postseason right now.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
1rd! Grigo watch is on tonight!
Fird?

I keep imagining Grigo in a habs jersey. Looks good.

Last edited by Spectaculard: 04-06-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old
04-06-2012, 05:19 PM
noiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Zubban View Post
Fird?

I keep imagining Grigo in a habs jersey. Looks good.
1st round of playoffs

Old
04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
LastRide

I think Edmonton is going to pick Grigs. We might have to take the top defenseman. The rest of the forwards are too much of a crap shoot.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:38 PM
theboss*

The thing about grigs is he going to get bigger. He will probably max out at 6'5, 210-220 pounds I hope

Old
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Edmonton need a Top-2 D alot more than they need a 2nd line forward, but I'd still draft the forward. Scouts have had an extremely weak track record of picking Defensive blue chip prospects in the Top-10...

I think the skill that goes in a top-F is alot easier to pick up early than the mix of abilities needed in a top-D... That mix becomes more obvious in the years after the draft... The last attempt at picking a D first was a disaster, Erik Johnson (6'5, 220 pounds) over 2-J. Staal, 3-Toews, 4-N. Backstrom, 5-Kessel.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
I think Edmonton is going to pick Grigs. We might have to take the top defenseman. The rest of the forwards are too much of a crap shoot.
Sadly, that's the general feeling I'm getting. Murray is a pretty decent consolation prize though.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:43 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Sadly, that's the general feeling I'm getting. Murray is a pretty decent consolation prize though.
Another left handed d man tho

Old
04-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Unless Murray or Dumba is Pronger, I think Habs are nuts to take a D over an F. Habs really don't have history on their side successfully picking a D at #3 or #4.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:48 PM
LastRide

I was furious with the Habs picking up late points. I would have called up a goalie and a couple farm players to try and tank. We were in a nice second last spot with a chance at first to get the impact player we desperately need. Now its a coin toss hoping the player they get can make a big impact on this team. We don't need anymore mediocre players right now. I would rather go after a forward, but if Grigs isn't there than the best D-Man might be the way to go. Its hard finding good solid defensemen. I would rather someone like Grigs who can create excitement. We need help up front real bad.

Last edited by LastRide: 04-06-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Ds develop in weird ways and the great majority of blue-chip Ds were picked in the Second Round or later. It's not because a D is big, fast, is offensively enclined, has a big shot, etc... that he'll be great.

There was some serious debates a few year back, should it be Hedman over Tavares, or Doughty over Stamkos?... Today, who in their right mind would pick the Ds? It's too much of a risk to waste a chance at a forward with elite skills for some D who has drafting history stacked against him.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Another left handed d man tho
Quite irrelevant when looking at the player's quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Unless Murray or Dumba is Pronger, I think Habs are nuts to take a D over an F. Habs really don't have history on their side successfully picking a D at #3 or #4.
I'd much rather pick a forward, but you play the hand you're dealt. Granted, I just don't have much to go on for Galchenyuk or Forsberg, but my evaluation is that Murray projects as a bigger impact player than both of them.

I generally value (two-way) defensemen a little more than forwards though.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:43 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I'd much rather pick a forward, but you play the hand you're dealt. Granted, I just don't have much to go on for Galchenyuk or Forsberg, but my evaluation is that Murray projects as a bigger impact player than both of them.

I generally value (two-way) defensemen a little more than forwards though.
Playing the hand we're dealt would probably include looking at the fact that we don't have a single bonafide first line prospect in our system, as well, wouldn't it?

Old
04-06-2012, 06:54 PM
habsforeverr
Rookie User

Do you guys think columbus will indeed take yakupov?

Old
04-06-2012, 06:56 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsforeverr View Post
I could see them surprising everyone and taking Grigorenko #1. But that's the beauty of the draft, anything can happen.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
LastRide

If Edmonton takes Grigs. Then you have to try and make a deal with them. Switch trading spots and give them Gorges ?, Beaulieu ?, Subban ?, Leblanc ?, Eller ?, Price ?. Otherwise you sit tight and take your D-Man (and ball your eyes out) which we really don't want. Its a tough spot to be in. If we stay at 3rd and the Oilers take Grigs, its going to be a nightmare.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:04 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsforeverr View Post
Its very possible, but then the Oilers take him. Were screwed either way. Better hope the Habs lose and the Oilers beat Vancouver. Thats the safest bet right now to get our guy. We are a one line hockey team. It could be years of rebuilding if we don't get the forward we need. Not much for you UFA's this year. everyone will be fighting/over paying for the only couple good one's out there.

Last edited by LastRide: 04-06-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old
04-06-2012, 07:05 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
If Edmonton takes Grigs. Then you have to try and make a deal with them. Switch trading spot and give them Gorges ?, Beaulieu ?, Subban ?, Leblanc ?, Eller ?. Otherwise you sit tight and take your D-Man which we really don't want. Its a tough spot to be in. If we stay at 3rd and the Oilers take Grigs, its going to be a nightmare.
I'd take the 4 fwds before any D-man.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:07 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
If Edmonton takes Grigs. Then you have to try and make a deal with them. Switch trading spot and give them Gorges ?, Beaulieu ?, Subban ?, Leblanc ?, Eller ?. Otherwise you sit tight and take your D-Man which we really don't want. Its a tough spot to be in. If we stay at 3rd and the Oilers take Grigs, its going to be a nightmare.
Nope, hell no, and ********* no. (just typed in a bunch of stars for dramatic effect, wasn't really a word there)

Why don't we just take Galchenyuk instead and call it a day? I'd certainly prefer Grigorenko, but Gally will be just as good, imo.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:08 PM
MarkovsKnee

Not for the 2012 draft, but 16-year-old Barrie Colts D Aaaron Ekblad is playing very very well against a tough Ottawa 67s team right now. He has some sick skills, has a physical game, is a good skater and brings size. He's noticeable every time he steps on the ice in a good way just based on his size and skating alone. 2014 draft, of course.

The Barrie - Ottawa game is on Sportsnet.

Also, Habs should consider Colts goalie Mathias Niederberger in this year's draft. He's been really really solid throughout the year and has stepped it up in these playoffs. He's 20 in November, but could go back to the Colts since this is his rookie season in the OHL. He's really quick with the legs, moving side to side and up and down. I like the intensity he shows in net too. You can just tell he's a competitive guy.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Playing the hand we're dealt would probably include looking at the fact that we don't have a single bonafide first line prospect in our system, as well, wouldn't it?
Like I said, I value (two-way) defensemen a little more than forwards.

I just haven't seen enough of Galchenyuk and Forsberg to put them over Murray. You can win games consistently without top end forwards in the NHL as long as there's strong cohesiveness and work ethic up front, winning consistently without quality blueliners is a whole other story.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:17 PM
LastRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Nope, hell no, and ********* no. (just typed in a bunch of stars for dramatic effect, wasn't really a word there)

Why don't we just take Galchenyuk instead and call it a day? I'd certainly prefer Grigorenko, but Gally will be just as good, imo.
I think Gally could be another Desharnais. Better than nothing I guess. So much for that sniper we always wanted. Maybe we can pry Crosby from the Pens..LOL.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:19 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Like I said, I value (two-way) defensemen a little more than forwards.

I just haven't seen enough of Galchenyuk and Forsberg to put them over Murray. You can win games consistently without top end forwards in the NHL as long as there's strong cohesiveness and work ethic up front, winning consistently without quality blueliners is a whole other story.
I haven't seen a game of Galchenyuk's yet, so I'm with you there. I just don't know. However, I'm definitely cool with picking Forsberg.

Closed Thread