HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Los Angeles Clock Malfunction...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2012, 12:33 AM
  #51
tiburon12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
what about that ****** call against the flames, i think it was braun in OT where Jokinen crashed into kipper and the goal was cancelled out.

there is a ROW we could have used

tiburon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:43 AM
  #52
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Valrico, FL
Posts: 29,026
vCash: 500
One thing to keep in mind about the clock issue is the game was tied at the time of the goal. LAK was getting one point regardless. In doubt is the second point, but then again, they were playing the CBJ, so it is likely they would have won, but not guaranteed.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:44 AM
  #53
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Doesn't really matter at this point as it can't be changed.
By us, nothing can be changed.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:07 AM
  #54
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,564
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
One thing to keep in mind about the clock issue is the game was tied at the time of the goal. LAK was getting one point regardless. In doubt is the second point, but then again, they were playing the CBJ, so it is likely they would have won, but not guaranteed.
It's not just the extra point. It's the extra tiebreaker. That game is the difference between going from the first tiebreaker to the second one which the Sharks could have conceivably won but it's a moot point now because the two teams can't tie each other now.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
  #55
SacLandshark
Registered User
 
SacLandshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Ok then...

I'm SO READY to let this pass now that the hockey gods have heard my plea. God bless Ryane Clowe. Stupid thing to do. Could have cost the game. I'm sure that it was just an unconscious move - in games like this, the guy becomes possessed by demons. But somehow, every on ice official missed it. An act of god if there ever was one...

Can't wait for the last one at home...

SacLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
  #56
sharksohnoes!
yeahokayidiot
 
sharksohnoes!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Yayarea
Posts: 3,750
vCash: 500
It's not about the points for me. It's about the hypocrisy. Clowe obviously cheated here. No one is denying that. But King's fans are calling for suspension and some are saying that the Sharks should forfeit the points and LA should receive 2. Using that logic, why aren't they saying that they should forfeit one of their 2 points from the CBJ game? Maybe they didn't physically have their hand on the button, but they did gladly accept two points knowing that they got it from a completely unfair circumstance. How come I'm not hearing King's fans saying "you know what, that was unfair. We should do the honorable thing and split the points."

Two similar situations people.

sharksohnoes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
  #57
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,928
vCash: 500
Why is everyone still going on about this. However screwed up Dean Lombardi's physics were when he answered the question about the clock, he was essentially right: There was no malfunction. The clock was adjusting itself. It probably happens hundreds of times per game, but since goals happening in the last second of a game are so rare, no one has ever noticed.

I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal out of the clock thing. Even if you say it's irrelevant because the Sharks shouldn't be in this position, it's even more irrelevant because there's no real issue to be angry about in the first place!

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:09 PM
  #58
28kings28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
You do realize the NHL employees controls the clock and not the LA Kings staff members. Rich Hammond mentioned in his blog confirms this too as well:

Quote:
Gary Bettman, on his TV/radio show yesterday, was asked directly about the incident — by a blog reader, no less — and basically said the league has no idea what happened that night. Bettman did, however, toss out the little nugget that the clock operator from that night is no longer working the clock at Staples Center. Why didn’t Bettman note that the operator is a league employee? And why even bring it up, unless there’s a shred of evidence of wrongdoing? That was very poor. So, the point is, it’s difficult to blame people who will draw parallels, given that the league can’t — or won’t — give a coherent explanation.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2012/04/06...ent-for-clowe/

28kings28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:13 PM
  #59
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!
 
MadmanSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
I hate to be "that guy" but please stop mentioning the clock. It makes the fan base seem like a bunch of whiners and it is petty to bring it up in response to Clowe's ridiculous play on the puck from the bench.

We get on other team's fanbases for whining and we really look just as bad when waxing on and on about stuff like this.

Play on!

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:20 PM
  #60
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts
 
CrazedZooChimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,734
vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
I hate to be "that guy" but please stop mentioning the clock. It makes the fan base seem like a bunch of whiners and it is petty to bring it up in response to Clowe's ridiculous play on the puck from the bench.

We get on other team's fanbases for whining and we really look just as bad when waxing on and on about stuff like this.

Play on!
It's like when we make fun of other fan bases for yelling about the refs and booing penalties, but at the tank EVERY penalty on the Sharks is boo'd, even ones with no discretion.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:20 PM
  #61
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,578
vCash: 500
I don't give a crap about the clock / two points, but Campbell himself said the goal shouldn't have counted, so I don't understand people who keep saying it was a good goal.

Quote:
From a recent WSJ article:
After looking into the matter, the NHL said it would let the Kings' win stand. In published comments, Campbell said he believed Doughty's goal should not have counted but chose not to explain how or why the clock stoppage took place. To fix the problem, Campbell announced that the final minute of every NHL game would henceforth be reviewed at the league's video room in Toronto.
Thanks to SacLandshark for the link.

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  #62
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!
 
MadmanSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 1,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
It's like when we make fun of other fan bases for yelling about the refs and booing penalties, but at the tank EVERY penalty on the Sharks is boo'd, even ones with no discretion.
Yeah I said I didn't want to be that guy because theres always someone that rings the bell for the high road pat yourself on the back police. I find myself complaining a lot so I will likely get called out somewhere down the line

Balance people! It isn't necessarily the people here but there are always Sharks trolls that aren't regulars here on other boards making most of us look like clowns. Clowe did something completely stupid and many fans are trying to justify it.

It did and continues to make me laugh... A lot.. But I still think it was a totally stupid move. I agree with the other posters and King's players that are upset by it. This isn't just some average missed call for something happens normally during the course of a game.

Two wrongs don't make a right

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
  #63
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,321
vCash: 500
I'd like to apologize for the inflammatory nature of my "weaksauce" post. Upon reflection, I was reacting to what I _assumed_ was going to be said, and not what was actually said. The OP clearly was trying to complain without complaining, but pretty much all of the other responses have been levelheaded, even if they contained elements I disagreed with (and many of them I completely agreed with).

So, I apologize for blowing my stack and overreacting.

I would like to maintain that talking about "two points" is still ridiculous, as the Kings had already wrapped up one point for getting to OT in the game in question. I'd also like to point out there is a massive difference between even an alleged (no proof has been presented that the period was actually any longer than 20 minutes) malfunction (NO ONE has seriously come up with any support for intent in the stoppage) of the clock... and an INTENTIONAL contravention of the rules by a player not on the playing surface. So, different concerns.

But I absolutely do wish to say that most of the SJ fans' responses in this thread have had WAY more class than my blowup did, and for that, I recognize your fans' class, and apologize for my own lack thereof.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:59 PM
  #64
SacLandshark
Registered User
 
SacLandshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
Yeah I said I didn't want to be that guy because theres always someone that rings the bell for the high road pat yourself on the back police. I find myself complaining a lot so I will likely get called out somewhere down the line

Balance people! It isn't necessarily the people here but there are always Sharks trolls that aren't regulars here on other boards making most of us look like clowns. Clowe did something completely stupid and many fans are trying to justify it.

It did and continues to make me laugh... A lot.. But I still think it was a totally stupid move. I agree with the other posters and King's players that are upset by it. This isn't just some average missed call for something happens normally during the course of a game.

Two wrongs don't make a right
You are FAR too worried about this. The way I see it... the sharks had a LONG run of ZERO luck - no pucks randomly bouncing their way and the hockey universe abruptly balanced things last night.

Yes, it was a very dumb play. Yes the Kings and their fans should be VERY upset - it was a blown call late in a vitally important game - who wouldn't be upset.

Clowe's play is indefensible... HOWEVER, it's now over and done and it all ended well (for us).

I see people saying stupid stuff on the internet every day - if there are sharks fans actually defending the play - let them. Challenge them if you like, but don't worry about it.

All I can say is that I LOVE how this guy will do anything it takes to win. I'm convinced that he didn't do it on purpose - that hockey instinct took over for a moment. If he had actually thought about it he would have realized that this was not a good time for a 5-3 PK and that it would be best to let the defense handle it.

SacLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:00 PM
  #65
SacLandshark
Registered User
 
SacLandshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
I appreciate this - well done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I'd like to apologize for the inflammatory nature of my "weaksauce" post. Upon reflection, I was reacting to what I _assumed_ was going to be said, and not what was actually said. The OP clearly was trying to complain without complaining, but pretty much all of the other responses have been levelheaded, even if they contained elements I disagreed with (and many of them I completely agreed with).

So, I apologize for blowing my stack and overreacting.

I would like to maintain that talking about "two points" is still ridiculous, as the Kings had already wrapped up one point for getting to OT in the game in question. I'd also like to point out there is a massive difference between even an alleged (no proof has been presented that the period was actually any longer than 20 minutes) malfunction (NO ONE has seriously come up with any support for intent in the stoppage) of the clock... and an INTENTIONAL contravention of the rules by a player not on the playing surface. So, different concerns.

But I absolutely do wish to say that most of the SJ fans' responses in this thread have had WAY more class than my blowup did, and for that, I recognize your fans' class, and apologize for my own lack thereof.

SacLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
  #66
SMoneyMonkey
Registered User
 
SMoneyMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LA/MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I don't give a crap about the clock / two points, but Campbell himself said the goal shouldn't have counted, so I don't understand people who keep saying it was a good goal.

Thanks to SacLandshark for the link.
Because... Campbell?

Hopefully Clowe and Clock gate cancel each other out and we can just return to hockey.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:47 PM
  #67
Eighth Fret
Registered User
 
Eighth Fret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,140
vCash: 500
the nhl needs to put in a call to rolex or omega for sponsorship. this sort of things never happens at wimbledon

Eighth Fret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:50 PM
  #68
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
Because... Campbell?

Hopefully Clowe and Clock gate cancel each other out and we can just return to hockey.
I think we can all agree that both Clowe and the clock have a common cause: Anaheim. If Anaheim's cup run hadn't set such a poor example of proper hockey form, none of this would've ever happened. So it's just another reason to be bound together in our mutual dislike of the Ducks.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:23 PM
  #69
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Why is everyone still going on about this. However screwed up Dean Lombardi's physics were when he answered the question about the clock, he was essentially right: There was no malfunction. The clock was adjusting itself. It probably happens hundreds of times per game, but since goals happening in the last second of a game are so rare, no one has ever noticed.

I don't understand why everyone is making a big deal out of the clock thing. Even if you say it's irrelevant because the Sharks shouldn't be in this position, it's even more irrelevant because there's no real issue to be angry about in the first place!
You are completely correct. The display gets calibrated every so often to match the official game clock. As you said the 3rd period of that game lasted exactly 20 minutes.

What's really disappointing is that the NHL (once again) has done a piss poor job of explaining it. Can't believe Bettman went on to say the the clock operator was relieved of his duties when he had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I don't give a crap about the clock / two points, but Campbell himself said the goal shouldn't have counted, so I don't understand people who keep saying it was a good goal.

Thanks to SacLandshark for the link.
Really only shows how dumb Campbell is and how little effort he put into understanding the mechanics of the official clock and the displayed time.

Regarding the equal love our two fan bases have for the Ducks, I am looking forward to meeting them some day in the playoffs. All home games for us!


Last edited by KINGS17: 04-06-2012 at 05:29 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
  #70
SMoneyMonkey
Registered User
 
SMoneyMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: LA/MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
I think we can all agree that both Clowe and the clock have a common cause: Anaheim. If Anaheim's cup run hadn't set such a poor example of proper hockey form, none of this would've ever happened. So it's just another reason to be bound together in our mutual dislike of the Ducks.
It's so obvious. I'm baffled other people haven't figured it out yet!

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:30 PM
  #71
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan
 
Audio Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 1185
Doesn't bother me. The Sharks are in control of their own destiny. They have lost many games they should have won.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.