HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Oduya make for 4m + next year?

Old
04-06-2012, 04:03 PM
MagicSlap*

vCash: 500
I'd be comfortable with anything up to $3.3 for 2-3 years. Maybe $3.5 for 2 years.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Teravainen
LoveYouRyanNash

Weren't the Hawks trying to get Grossman but the Stars wanted Saad?

Old username: LoveYouRyanNash and DontTazMeBro
GO HAWKS!
Teravainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:31 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTazMeBro View Post
Weren't the Hawks trying to get Grossman but the Stars wanted Saad?
I even remember the EXACT headline: HAWKS DEAL FOR GROSSMAN NIXED BY SAAD DEMAND.

Yikes. But look how Oduya turned out.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:41 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Nashville's GM is going for it...sometimes it's ok to do that. It's not like he does this every year. The Hawks threw away a 2nd rounder last year also when they let Campoli go. This is becoming a pattern here....unless of course he signs Oduya, which hopefully he will do.
The Hawks had so many draft picks that it was ok to throw away a 2nd on Campoli. Even if we throw away a 2nd & 3rd on Oduya it is not the end of the world. It just makes a GM look bad. I think overpaying would save face as long as it isn't more than 3 years.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
He better be re-signed. You don't give up a 2nd and a 3rd for a player you let go for nothing a few months later.

GM's that do that deserve to get fired. I can only think of 2 exceptions that would get Stan off the hook:

1) The Hawks win the Cup
2) They sign Suter instead.
a bit too much drama?

3) sign Carle
4) Oduya prices himself out

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
a bit too much drama?

3) sign Carle
4) Oduya prices himself out
3) No thanks...no interest in Carle.
4) That should have been considered before the trade was made. There's a reason Winnipeg traded him while they were in a playoff race, and Oduya wanting a lot of money is probably that reason. This isn't something that wasn't out there when the trade was made.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Carle would fit our team like Oduya does but can play PP better.

Old
04-07-2012, 03:10 PM
MagicSlap*

Carle is going to want more money than Oduya

Old
04-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

let's see who gets more

I think Carle priced himself out and I think no team will pay what he is seeking. Hawks come and get him cheaper than what was offered to him before.

Like Campoli or Niemi situation

Old
04-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Sarava

Carle is terrible. Yuck. No...just no.

Old
04-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I know some that like him, some that hate him. I always liked him. It all comes to the price.

Old
04-09-2012, 02:41 AM
WarriorofTime

Hawks should pay him. If they were to make no moves here is what they would have.

Stalberg (0.875) Toews (6.3) Kane (6.3)
Sharp (5.9) Kruger (0.9) Hossa (5.275)
Shaw (0.565) Bolland (3.375) Bickell (0.541667)
Frolik (2.33) Carcillo (0.825) Hayes (0.875)
Bollig (RFA- 0.6)

Keith (5.538) Seabrook (5.8)
Hjalmarsson (3.5) Leddy (1.116666)
Olsen (0.870) Montador (2.75)
X

Crawford (2.666667)
Emery (1.15)

$6.243206 in cap space.

Bollig's salary is just an estimate. Oduya has meant a lot to our Defense and I think would be a great guy to keep around for now. Move a guy like Frolik and replace him with an ELC guy like Saad, Morin, Beach, or Pirri or another cheap AHL RFA like Smith and there's more space to work with than that. There's potentially room to re-sign Oduya. Give our defense Keith-Seabrook, Leddy-Oduya, Hjalmarsson-Montador with Olsen waiting for when someone gets hurt.

Hawks were 6th in goals this year (2nd in Western Conference, 1 goal behind Vancouver. Also tied with Detroit) and 22nd in Goals Against (14th in the Western Conference, allowing 1 fewer than Edmonton). Improving the team defensively is more important than improving them offensively. If you're going to tell Oduya to buzz off for wanting too much you better have someone else in free agency you have your eye on better. Oduya in 24:25 in the 18 games following his acquisition has provided 5 points and been +3. He has been a much better partner for Leddy than Hjalmarsson. I've been happy to have him on board. I'm hoping he's been glad to be aboard and has an interest in remaining in Chicago.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

just because you have the money and Cap Space, you don't overpay. You don't overpay because you can. If he prices himself out, he will not stay

Old
04-09-2012, 11:38 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
just because you have the money and Cap Space, you don't overpay. You don't overpay because you can. If he prices himself out, he will not stay
Then the Hawks will still need another Defensemen and have 6+ million in cap space to work with. Why not use that on a Defenseman? What better Defenseman will fit in with the Hawks than Oduya?

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Then the Hawks will still need another Defensemen and have 6+ million in cap space to work with. Why not use that on a Defenseman? What better Defenseman will fit in with the Hawks than Oduya?
Ryan Suter or Shea Weber!

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Oduya will get 4+ from someone and it better not be us.

Like I said before, we're not leaving Olsen in the AHL or as a healthy scratch next season. Bowman won't trade Montador or Hjalmarsson in favor of Oduya and he'd be stupid to trade Leddy this early.

Olsen has that 6th spot locked up and the only defenseman we sign will be as a 7th defenseman. He'll make another move at the deadline for defensive help if we need it because Olsen/Leddy are still too experienced for the playoffs in '13.

I'll call it right now, especially if we do well in the playoffs.... Lepisto is re-signed and next season we roll:

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Leddy
Montador-Olsen
Lepisto

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:28 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Oduya will get 4+ from someone and it better not be us.

Like I said before, we're not leaving Olsen in the AHL or as a healthy scratch next season. Bowman won't trade Montador or Hjalmarsson in favor of Oduya and he'd be stupid to trade Leddy this early.

Olsen has that 6th spot locked up and the only defenseman we sign will be as a 7th defenseman. He'll make another move at the deadline for defensive help if we need it because Olsen/Leddy are still too experienced for the playoffs in '13.

I'll call it right now, especially if we do well in the playoffs.... Lepisto is re-signed and next season we roll:

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-Leddy
Montador-Olsen
Lepisto
That's fine if you sign Parise or pull off a major trade for a Center.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
That's fine if you sign Parise or pull off a major trade for a Center.
I don't understand why that has to be the case. Olsen, while has his gaffes, is ready for the NHL. Why stick him in Rockford if he's ready for a bottom-pairing role right now?

The only reason we should overpay Oduya to the tune of 4+ mil is if we can trade Montador. Knowing that he had a season-ending concussion and will be on only his 2nd year of his 4 year contract, it's not going to happen.

Other than that, trading Hjalmarsson would be stupid unless Olsen is ready to replace him. Bowman would be selling low if he traded Leddy and Keith/Seabrook aren't going anywhere.

And beyond that, Oduya is going to want more than a 1 or 2 year contract. I'm thinking (and his agent would be smart to think) he's shooting for a 4 or 5 year deal for 3.5+ mil. Not only will we be spending 22+ mil on 6 defensemen, but we'll be essentially placing a block on any prospect to break through our line-up for the next 3+ years. That's NOT good asset management.

Sorry, I liked Oduya and I would do that trade again if given the chance but it would just be a boneheaded move going forward.

Old
04-09-2012, 12:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
I don't understand why that has to be the case. Olsen, while has his gaffes, is ready for the NHL. Why stick him in Rockford if he's ready for a bottom-pairing role right now?

The only reason we should overpay Oduya to the tune of 4+ mil is if we can trade Montador. Knowing that he had a season-ending concussion and will be on only his 2nd year of his 4 year contract, it's not going to happen.

Other than that, trading Hjalmarsson would be stupid unless Olsen is ready to replace him. Bowman would be selling low if he traded Leddy and Keith/Seabrook aren't going anywhere.

And beyond that, Oduya is going to want more than a 1 or 2 year contract. I'm thinking (and his agent would be smart to think) he's shooting for a 4 or 5 year deal for 3.5+ mil. Not only will we be spending 22+ mil on 6 defensemen, but we'll be essentially placing a block on any prospect to break through our line-up for the next 3+ years. That's NOT good asset management.

Sorry, I liked Oduya and I would do that trade again if given the chance but it would just be a boneheaded move going forward.
Agreed, I wouldn't overpay Oduya either. And I like Olsen and have no issue with your D, but you have to pick up some legit help for this team, and since it won't be in goal, won't be in D if we go with your D, it better be in the top 6. And yes, I think that formula could work but your D, our current tandem and no upgrades up front and I expect us to finish 4th, 5th or 6th next year. And I say this all assuming Saad will be part of the team.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Sarava

I think we'd have to be blind to not notice how much Leddy's game has improved since Oduya arrived...and more importantly, with Oduya's arrival he stopped being paired with Hammer.

I don't understand why you guys think the Hawks would go back to that?

Old
04-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Just my opinion, and this isn't necessarily directed at you... but I wouldn't expect any big FA moves from Bowman anytime soon.

From now until our logjam of mid-level prospects from the past few drafts either live to their potential or fade into oblivion, we're going to be filling spots from within. If we have some spots that need to be filled after that, we'll go to FA but I wouldn't expect any big-name guys.

All we really need is 2 prospects to pan out to be 2nd and 3rd liners and a prospect or two to fill out the bottom-pairing of our defense.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:09 PM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

pretty sure thats why Stan Signed a bunch of guys to 1 year deals hoping that some of these prospects developed to fill the line up next year, if anything this offseason were in a bit of a pickle, Considering Bickell, and Frolik, took giant steps backwards.

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Sarava

I mostly agree with that. Though the logjam coming from our prospects will mostly be with forwards IMO.

I think there's a good chance Hammer or Montador get traded this summer. Hammer would be a lot easier to trade - but even Montador has value since his contract was front loaded a bit.

Where I think I disagree with you is Olsen and Oduya. I do want Oduya back - and I'm not really sold that Olsen is ready yet. He was thrown in to things this year because the Hawks had no choice. And he did fine all things considered, but I'm not ready to depend on him at the NHL level yet.

Old
04-09-2012, 01:24 PM
madgoat33

well how much money are you willing to commit to oduya? He's looked pretty bad defensively the past like 6-7 games IMO. He's also only got 5pts in 18 games with the hawks and 0 pts in the last 7 games and 1 in his last 10.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
MagicSlap*

There are 0 Hawks prospects ready to step in on the blueline though is the thing. There's going to be quite a log jam up front over the next year or two but the D corps is a little bleak at the moment. After Olsen, in Rockford we have a VERY big maybe in Ryan Stanton. Clendening and Johns are probably our two best D prospects but I doubt we see them for at least two years (especially Clendening).

That makes Montador's injury very important, how is he going to recover? Is he going to be reliable? What if he gets injured again? I certainly think Oduya would help our team moving forward but the problem is money. I do think Bowman resigns him and I do think he'll ovepay for him simply out of necessity.