HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Stephen Weiss PLAYOFF! Appreciation Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
CanadianPantherFan
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
The Stephen Weiss PLAYOFF! Appreciation Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=d5hZJ-IlB8Q

I would have cried if he started. Everything he says in this video* is how us diehards have felt...all these years.

Luongo...gone
Jokinen...gone
Bou.... gone
Horton... gone

One warrior left. The one who wanted to stay for this moment!

I give you a standing ovation Mr. Weiss!

Last edited by CanadianPantherFan: 04-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.
CanadianPantherFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=d5hZJ-IlB8Q

I would have cried if he started. Everything he says in this thread is how us diehards have felt...all these years.

Luongo...gone
Jokinen...gone
Bou.... gone
Horton... gone

One warrior left. The one who wanted to stay for this moment!

I give you a standing ovation Mr. Weiss!
I always liked Weiss from the beginning and always knew he was different type of player (passion) than the other four mentioned above.

Jeff Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Thought this little nugget might warm the heart:

Quote:
And Weiss, who just turned 29, will end his dubious run of a career without playoff hockey. Only former Florida teammate Jay Bouwmeester, now with Calgary, has been in more NHL regular-season games without a post-season appearance.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search

Congrats to Weiss on finally making it to the playoffs!!

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:01 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Sorry, but I do not like and have never liked Weiss (ask Catscratch, he can vouch for me)

I've wanted him to be traded since after his first full year. I just think he is a draft bust and sub-par at best.

And no, he should not be our captain. Campbell should.

Flame me if you want but IMO.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:55 PM
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill

I've always been a Weiss fan, and while he can be frustrating, I really appreciate his loyalty to this team. It's rare.

Very happy for him!!

The Panthers are a great story this year, and it isn't over yet! That's the best part!

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 05:43 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
classy guy. don't understand how someone can call him a bust. he's at about 60 points this year. ?

as i'm watching him talk in some of the interviews, i think i get why dineen didn't/couldn't name him captain - you can't give your C to a guy who's never led his team into a playoff battle. this development could change the whole captaincy issue coming into next year. i wouldn't be surprised to see him named captain and sign and extension. just speculation, of course.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:29 PM
TheEkbombIsReal
Paaaaaanthers

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/podcast...-fb-Weiss-0406

Another great interview. I really like Weiss, really great guy.

I'm so excited for next season with people like Huber coming up and possibly some new additions.

TheEkbombIsReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

Weiss: "We spoke before the road trip. You know what? We know we don't have any super stars. We have a lot of third and fourth line type guys who work hard. If we play to that identity, we're going to be fine.''

Great attitude and humility.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Tweaked9107
Some say...

Send a message via MSN to Tweaked9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post
Sorry, but I do not like and have never liked Weiss (ask Catscratch, he can vouch for me)

I've wanted him to be traded since after his first full year. I just think he is a draft bust and sub-par at best.

That's fair enough. If you don't like the guy you don't like him, but he isn't exactly what i'd call a bust. He's a consistent 50-60point forward. It's just a shame the guy is forced to play above his ability line wise. With the exception of Campbell that's pretty much the Panthers way though.

I like to give him credit where credit is due. He isn't the most talented player, but he seems to be a great guy and has been more than loyal to this team. That's got to count for something.

Tweaked9107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:36 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Verstig View Post
That's fair enough. If you don't like the guy you don't like him, but he isn't exactly what i'd call a bust. He's a consistent 50-60point forward. It's just a shame the guy is forced to play above his ability line wise. With the exception of Campbell that's pretty much the Panthers way though.
Nail on the head.

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

I'm as excited for Weiss as I am for myself. This guy deserves it, what else can you say. I really have felt since day one that he bleeds this team just as passionately as we all do, and that he's a good leader. He stuck with this team when he had opportunities to leave, watched other players leave as was said, never started talking badly about the organization and creating dissent within the locker room, he's played through tons of injuries and still performed at a high level, he works hard pretty much every night, his defensive play has waned a bit since his early days but it's still pretty good. The guy has played through so much back pain that he's probably going to have back problems when he retires, and he's missing more teeth than a professional boxer. Of all the things I've doubted about this organization for so long, I've never doubted Weiss. I'm so happy for the guy. He's been here for the whole playoff drought, just like us, he's felt the same pain, you can see it in the relief in his face and voice. He's taken all the lost seasons to heart just as much as we have. if he didn't, he wouldn't be here right now. To me, he's almost the ultimate Panther. If down the road we are fortunate enough to win a Cup, I really hope he's still here. He's put a lot of blood and sweat into this team and he's never betrayed this team, to me after all these years, that means a lot.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:07 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
#CatsAreComing

I've always been a fan of Weiss sinc the day that we drafted him. The guy may not be up to par to what we expected of him ten years ago, but his leadership and off the ice attitude in a way makes up for it for me. I love the fact most of all that through of the years of uncertainty with management that he still wants to play in South Florida and shot down any trade rumor that he was ever involved in. I couldn't be happier for him now that he will finally get a taste of the playoffs after so many miserable years. I would love it if he were named captain. I don't think anyone deserves it more.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:56 PM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:

Some truth to this.

IMHO a solid solid second liner whose been a first for us.

Frustrating as hell to me especially when he doesn't shoot, but always a place in my heart for a guy tht gives 100%.

Loyal for sure, there's a little bit of us in all of him.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
LUUUUUIS
#CatsAreComing

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.ht...-tw-Weiss-0412

Quote:
When Boston beat Vancouver in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final last June, Weiss had to watch as longtime teammates Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell celebrated the Bruins' championship.

"That was difficult," Weiss said. "I was one of the happiest guys for them for sure, but at the same time [not long] before that they're sitting beside you in your hotel room and you see them out there holding the Stanley Cup, it's tough to swallow. There was a little bit of extra fire burning in the belly over the summer to train harder and get to this point now."
Quote:
"I wanted to say something to the guys, [but] I didn't know when," Weiss said. "There were a couple of times down the stretch when I wanted to say something, but I wanted to wait until the right moment and just thank the guys for coming in with the right attitude. We've had a lot of groups here over the last few years and I just felt like the weather and not being the biggest hockey market down here, it's tough sometimes. It's tough to come to the rink and really focus on playing the right way over an 82-game schedule, especially during the dog days of the season where it's tough to get up for games and practices sometimes, especially when the weather is so nice.

"I just wanted to thank the guys for doing a really good job and not losing sight of what we were trying to do this year. It meant a lot to me to get in, and the team, as well. All of it has to do mostly with the guys in the room. We're the ones that go out there and play and practice every day, and just all the new guys, I wanted them to know that meant a lot."
Much respect! Great loyalty and he's shown such humility and gratefulness for everything going on now in his career and for the Panthers.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Knightmare

Quote:

A true two-way center... who puts up 50-60 points consistently... Leads by example, has top-notch intangibles/loyalty/heart (whatever you want to call it) that really gels a team together. Not to mention he has one of the best faceoff percentages in the league. Disregard where we drafted him 10 years ago, how can you not want this player on your team?

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote