HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part List of candidates for GM and Coach Part IV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2012, 02:22 PM
  #1
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 25,934
vCash: 50
Awards:
List of candidates for GM and Coach Part List of candidates for GM and Coach Part IV

Continue here.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:28 PM
  #2
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post

It's a new chapter. Focus on the present and future rather than whine about a past that really wasn't as bad as you suggest.


Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it

onice is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 06:26 PM
  #3
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Any word on Robinson????

Belso is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 06:32 PM
  #4
Mousepad*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal/Mérida
Country: Mexico
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
RDS now is proposing Ronald Mcdonald. They base their choice on the fact that Mcdo serves French Fries.

Odjick!!

Mousepad* is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:12 PM
  #5
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousepad View Post
RDS now is proposing Ronald Mcdonald. They base their choice on the fact that Mcdo serves French Fries.

Odjick!!
Saw Gino talk on l'Antichambre yesterday the guy has a good heart but he really has no brains. I've come to think over the year that RDS is really not at all a good source for hockey scoops. And they're trying their best to put something on the table every afternoon to get ratings. Whether it's pure specualtion or facts, they just give way too much information to the fans. Saying that Pat Brisson could become GM is the best example of pure speculation turned into evening news. Brisebois seems to be the only viable candidate for the job but I've got a feeling they'll turn to someone not yet mentioned in the media.

Alexdaman is online now  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:17 PM
  #6
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
I just laugh @ Carbo trying to get a job really hard.

Wouldn't be totally against having him in the org. again, but it's just funny that he's pushing hard for a job on TV.

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:18 PM
  #7
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I just laugh @ Carbo trying to get a job really hard.

Wouldn't be totally against having him in the org. again, but it's just funny that he's pushing hard for a job on TV.
Yes, the RDS thing is turning into a zoo and RDS is surely happy with that.

Alexdaman is online now  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:19 PM
  #8
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 8,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I just laugh @ Carbo trying to get a job really hard.

Wouldn't be totally against having him in the org. again, but it's just funny that he's pushing hard for a job on TV.
It's so true, although while a blatant plea, I also really respect the fact that he bleeds bleu, blanc, rouge. AC is so weird cuz they have him on RDS basically 2 years after ripping into him daily and then just making casual attacks on other coaches for many of the same reasons. There was no AC then (I don't think), but there was plenty of Carbo bashing.

another fun aspect of L'AC:




How does this mofo get to talk about our team, about headshots and even mention the name Josh "Georges" Gorges?!!!

habtastic is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:27 PM
  #9
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 50
After Carbo says he's not going to go for the job they'll turn to Michel Therrien, I bet 20$ on it.

Alexdaman is online now  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:36 PM
  #10
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
How does this mofo get to talk about our team, about headshots and even mention the name Josh "Georges" Gorges?!!!
Totally forgot that hit. He then whines when the ref gives him a penalty? ****ing piece of ****. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a mild concussion for Gorges.

68 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:39 PM
  #11
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
After Carbo says he's not going to go for the job they'll turn to Michel Therrien, I bet 20$ on it.
Therrien wouldn't be on my list of candidates but there are many worse options.

Carbo on the other hand was probably one of the worst coaches in NHL history. Totally clueless. I don't even want him as janitor of the Bell Centre.

68 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 08:56 PM
  #12
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Therrien wouldn't be on my list of candidates but there are many worse options.

Carbo on the other hand was probably one of the worst coaches in NHL history. Totally clueless. I don't even want him as janitor of the Bell Centre.
True, he should've stayed as an assistant. But the players respected him though.

Alexdaman is online now  
Old
04-07-2012, 12:11 AM
  #13
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf
Really? Honestly, the only guys that would get interviews from other teams are Brisson, Brisebois, McGuire and maybe Giguere.
You can easily add Lacroix, Loiselle and Bergevin to your list. I'd even remove Mcguire and Giguere for the same reasons I wouldn't want Jacques Martin, but it doesn't mean they're not qualified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu
Any restriction that isn't hockey related reduces your talent pool. It's completely contradictory. Unless the top GM candidates are bilingual, your point fails.
Really? The contradiction is in this sentence that I've quoted! Because it's not hockey related, it reduces the talent pool? What? Can't those candidates be comparable? Don't they all have strengths and weaknesses? Come on now, you're reaching.

The fact remains that this is Montreal, in a unique market and if there are qualified people for the jobs, they must at the very least explore those options... whether you like it or not.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 06:21 AM
  #14
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You can easily add Lacroix, Loiselle and Bergevin to your list. I'd even remove Mcguire and Giguere for the same reasons I wouldn't want Jacques Martin, but it doesn't mean they're not qualified.
How can you take out McGuire, who actually has been interviewed recently for GM positions (Minny)? And you can't add Lacroix, because a reputable member of the media hasn't confirmed Montreal has contacted him. If we're talking about hypothetical candidates, then I heard a rumour on here that Fenton was contacted.

Toronto media members I respect (like Cybulski) are of the opinion that Loiselle isn't really a leader and Bergevin is a rapid riser, but is pretty under-educated (only finishing grade 11) and has admitted he doesn't have a strong grasp of the Cap and contract structuring. Neither has ever interviewed for a GM position before (unlike McGuire and Giguere). Which isn't to say I'd prefer Giguere to Loiselle, I'm just saying that its very, VERY unlikely other teams would interview Bergevin and Loiselle over guys like Fenton, Benning, Kekäläinen, Kevin McDonald, Jeff Gorton or Jason Botterhill.


Last edited by Captain Smurf: 04-07-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 06:48 AM
  #15
psychonaut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
Well for bilingual GM there looks too be some interesting choices. Its the coach that I think its scary.

psychonaut is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 07:38 AM
  #16
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Really? The contradiction is in this sentence that I've quoted! Because it's not hockey related, it reduces the talent pool? What? Can't those candidates be comparable? Don't they all have strengths and weaknesses? Come on now, you're reaching.

The fact remains that this is Montreal, in a unique market and if there are qualified people for the jobs, they must at the very least explore those options... whether you like it or not.
Let me simplify it for you: unless the top candidates are bilingual, you're not picking from the best. Ask yourself if they are or if you're picking the next GM based on language because you think they can do a good enough job. If it's the latter, you are selecting form a smaller group of candidates.

Ginu is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 09:01 AM
  #17
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic
 
Captain Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue
The question is for you or any others who have an answer.

How many former NHL players, coaches and GM have came back and had SUCCESS after having worked in the media (full time) for a good while (2 years and more) ?
Dale Tallon comes to mind.

Captain Smurf is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 09:10 AM
  #18
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Dale Tallon comes to mind.
Doubt Florida lets him go after he made them into a playoff teamish.

Sure they made it, but the southeast sucked again.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
  #19
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
Well for bilingual GM there looks too be some interesting choices. Its the coach that I think its scary.
Plenty of choices for that one as well but Patrick is a lock if he wants the job its his for sure

GordonGraham is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 09:55 AM
  #20
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Plenty of choices for that one as well but Patrick is a lock if he wants the job its his for sure
I see less problems getting the proper bilingual coach than the proper bilingual GM.

Roy, Therrien, Hartley, Vincent, Groulx are all quality candidates.

habitue* is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 09:58 AM
  #21
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I see less problems getting the proper bilingual coach than the proper bilingual GM.

Roy, Therrien, Hartley, Vincent, Groulx are all quality candidates.
Would fans take back Alain Vignault?

If his team doesnt reach the final if he will get fired for sure

GordonGraham is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 09:59 AM
  #22
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Would fans take back Alain Vignault?

If his team doesnt reach the final if he will get fired for sure
Why ? Because his players are heartless...

habitue* is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 10:07 AM
  #23
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
How can you take out McGuire, who actually has been interviewed recently for GM positions (Minny)? And you can't add Lacroix, because a reputable member of the media hasn't confirmed Montreal has contacted him. If we're talking about hypothetical candidates, then I heard a rumour on here that Fenton was contacted.

Toronto media members I respect (like Cybulski) are of the opinion that Loiselle isn't really a leader and Bergevin is a rapid riser, but is pretty under-educated (only finishing grade 11) and has admitted he doesn't have a strong grasp of the Cap and contract structuring. Neither has ever interviewed for a GM position before (unlike McGuire and Giguere). Which isn't to say I'd prefer Giguere to Loiselle, I'm just saying that its very, VERY unlikely other teams would interview Bergevin and Loiselle over guys like Fenton, Benning, Kekäläinen, Kevin McDonald, Jeff Gorton or Jason Botterhill.
A couple of things here.
  • Because mainstreem media has not reported that someone has or has not been contacted doesn't mean that the candidate hasn't been contacted or won't be in the near future.
  • I see that you base your analysis on what some media (in this case Toronto) are saying. There's a reason why members of the media don't manage professional hockey teams. They're good (sometimes) at reporting, that's where it ends. They don't know the inside scoops.
  • Most GM's don't know the details of the cap. Every NHL team has specialists taking care of that aspect as it's too complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Let me simplify it for you: unless the top candidates are bilingual, you're not picking from the best. Ask yourself if they are or if you're picking the next GM based on language because you think they can do a good enough job. If it's the latter, you are selecting form a smaller group of candidates.
But what if those candidates are as qualified as others, which I think they are? Is it still narrowing?

For the record, I'm not saying that they need to pickup a bilingual candidate at all cost here. I'm saying that the names rumoured are very much qualified for the job and perhaps amongst the best available. Big difference.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 10:12 AM
  #24
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Would fans take back Alain Vignault?

If his team doesnt reach the final if he will get fired for sure
IMO Gillis is smarter than that.

Roulin is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 10:19 AM
  #25
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
A couple of things here.
  • Because mainstreem media has not reported that someone has or has not been contacted doesn't mean that the candidate hasn't been contacted or won't be in the near future.
  • I see that you base your analysis on what some media (in this case Toronto) are saying. There's a reason why members of the media don't manage professional hockey teams. They're good (sometimes) at reporting, that's where it ends. They don't know the inside scoops.
  • Most GM's don't know the details of the cap. Every NHL team has specialists taking care of that aspect as it's too complex.


But what if those candidates are as qualified as others, which I think they are? Is it still narrowing?

For the record, I'm not saying that they need to pickup a bilingual candidate at all cost here. I'm saying that the names rumoured are very much qualified for the job and perhaps amongst the best available. Big difference.
Then by all means. If the only thing separating two equal candidates is language, go for it. But I'd suggest the best candidates don't speak French, i.e. Jim Nill.

Ginu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.