Old
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
But Benn has been with the team since the deadline... odd?
No he got sent back, it was just barely reported / no one cared.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
I love the veteran injury excuse parade. If you're that bad off please don't suit up. Your playing isn't helping anyone, least of all your fellow teammates. I cannot wait for the day that Morrow, Robidas, Burish, Ott, and Ribeiro are gone and the turnaround in our game magically coincides.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I love the veteran injury excuse parade. If you're that bad off please don't suit up. Your playing isn't helping anyone, least of all your fellow teammates. I cannot wait for the day that Morrow, Robidas, Burish, Ott, and Ribeiro are gone and the turnaround in our game magically coincides.
What's with the hate for Ribs?

Old
04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I think Benn can make it happen for PAP, and I think he will be overpaid, but who else is out there? I don't think anyone wants to risk paying Semin, or even that he would play here rather than in the KHL. Kostitsyn? Hudler?

I know the response is wait for Glennie/the Smiths/Fraser/etc, but look at Wandell and Vincour who haven't really made the next step. I like both players, but does anyone think they are 2nd line material? I just see younger Fiddler and Dvorak, which is fine, but this is a window for the Stars that isn't going to be open forever. They have cap space, new ownership that wants to win, and young core players making less than they are worth. They need to make the playoffs, and then we will see how good Benn and Lehtinen really are.
I think he can too. I'd love to see if PAP and Benn could work, but I don't know if I'd want to be out 4-5M for the next 3 or 4 years either.

Too early to tell for Vincour, and no one ever expected Wandell to be a top 6 talent.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Ribs with time running out in the Nashville game 6-4 PP down two goals and he hold the puck on the half boards for 20+ seconds. He's not getting better but has decent value. If you're looking to get younger and add NHL or NHL ready talent he's a good guy to trade because he still performs and isn't tied to a long term contract. He's a guy others may want unlike injured Morrow, terrible Robidas.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I think he can too. I'd love to see if PAP and Benn could work, but I don't know if I'd want to be out 4-5M for the next 3 or 4 years either.

Too early to tell for Vincour, and no one ever expected Wandell to be a top 6 talent.
1. Who else is out there to throw money at? Cant stand pat, how would fans feel if the team made no new signings and no trades, just brought back this years team? Overpayment is going to be required.

2. Vincour could prove to be a top 6 guy, but my point is more about potential. Who in Dallas besides him has any? I have little faith in the Stars ability to develop forwards into top 6 players, and I am not the only one who was scratching his head when Fraser and Smith were in the NHL to play 4 minutes on the 4th line like Toby Peterson.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Ribs with time running out in the Nashville game 6-4 PP down two goals and he hold the puck on the half boards for 20+ seconds. He's not getting better but has decent value. If you're looking to get younger and add NHL or NHL ready talent he's a good guy to trade because he still performs and isn't tied to a long term contract. He's a guy others may want unlike injured Morrow, terrible Robidas.
He is frustrating, but we have 4 top 6 forwards. Players like Ribeiro, at least on HF, get traded for quantity, and the team is full of 3rd and 4th liners already. I think Robidas has some value, and Morrow maybe as well, but it would be hard to justify trading these players for the returns that they would get to a fanbase that has missed the playoffs for 4 seasons in a row.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Ribs needs to be traded while he still holds value. The guy has his pros and cons, and without a doubt we'll be a worse team without him now. But the by the time we actually have a solid team he's going to be well on the decline. He's not part of the organization's future, and for all the good he does he also can be a detriment on the ice for many reasons. And the truth is he's part of the leadership core that has choked and crashed 3 years straight now.

Riberio could still easily get a 1st or a blue chip prospect. He needs to go before he declines more and his value drops. The culture and core of this team need to be gone, to make way for the next generation. Benn needs to become "the man" on this team, and he won't while Ribs is here.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:09 PM
None More Negative*

I heard Glennie will playing the last game? Awesome, a reminder of a terrible draft pick..I once went to a Stars preseason camp a couple of years ago just to heckle him..lol I know it's not his fault we made a **** pick, but man that had me pissed off. Especially with who was still on the board at the time..Eh, maybe he'll actually do something..

Old
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Again View Post
I heard Glennie will playing the last game? Awesome, a reminder of a terrible draft pick..I once went to a Stars preseason camp a couple of years ago just to heckle him..lol I know it's not his fault we made a **** pick, but man that had me pissed off. Especially with who was still on the board at the time..Eh, maybe he'll actually do something..
Oi. Do you actually like any player?

Heh.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:21 PM
None More Negative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Oi. Do you actually like any player?

Heh.
Yea, just not most of the ones who's last name starts with 'G'..heh

Old
04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
And the truth is he's part of the leadership core that has choked and crashed 3 years straight now.

The culture and core of this team need to be gone, to make way for the next generation. Benn needs to become "the man" on this team, and he won't while Ribs is here.
A core on a team with very little actual talent and the lowest payroll in the league. Even being in the race was a win.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:34 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
A core on a team with very little actual talent and the lowest payroll in the league. Even being in the race was a win.
This argument will probably never have a resolution. Talent/payroll vs performances. The truth though is they had themselves in a very good position to make the playoffs, even win the Division, 2 years in a row now. Both times all they needed to do was play .500 hockey. And both times they choked, crashed, and burn.

You can talk about the lack of talent and low payroll on this team for its excuses all day long, and you wouldn't neccesarily be wrong. But the fact is this team has choked away playoff bearths 3 years in a row now coming down the stretch, while teams like Phoenix and Nashville play their best hockey despite having similar payrolls and less talent.

Say what you want about the roster makeup, they had the ability to be a low seed in the West. Hell this year they had the ability to be a Division winner. The talent was there, the performance was there. They simply were unable to keep up with it, and when the going got tough they once again crumbled under the pressure. Three years in a row now.. to me that's not a payroll issue. That's a metal issue inside the locker-room.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Rune Forumwalker

I could maybe go with you on Phoenix having less talent, but Nashville? They clearly have more talent.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
I could maybe go with you on Phoenix having less talent, but Nashville? They clearly have more talent.
Nashville has done a wonderful job cycling through young forward talent to compliment their expensive veterans... Dallas hasn't done that.

Old
04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Teams without talent don't go 11-0-1 and don't lead the league in points. Ever.

We've got talent, some of you just won't acknowledge it.

Old
04-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:

We're a low to medium talent team... I know that isn't NO talent but it's not enough talent.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:

There is talent on the top line, but there is none on d or from the lower lines.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
We're a low to medium talent team... I know that isn't NO talent but it's not enough talent.
Exactly. There is some talent but not enough. Besides wasn't there a similar winless (pointless?) streak of around the same length?

Old
04-06-2012, 11:04 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
There is talent on the top line, but there is none on d or from the lower lines.
Outside of Benn, this is where I'll agree.

At least there's potential on D, though. The forward group (as a whole) will fix itself internally.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:06 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Again View Post
Yea, just not most of the ones who's last name starts with 'G'..heh
So I take it you're gonna hate this draft, then? Especially the centers?

Why does that even matter...?

Old
04-06-2012, 11:16 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Debating whether we have talent or not is silly. Of course we're a low talent team very reliant on our top 4 players. That doesn't change that it wasn't a lack of talent that has caused us to fail down the stretch 3 years in a row. Talent had nothing to do with going 3-8 down the stretch, it was stupidity and lack of effort.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Troy McClure

Why can't it be all three?

Old
04-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
At least there's potential on D, though. The forward group (as a whole) will fix itself internally.
Too bad all of that potential is in Cedar Park, or will be next season.

Old
04-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Too bad all of that potential is in Cedar Park, or will be next season.
We can't assume that all that potential is going to be in Cedar Park. One or two of our young guns may completely impress over the summer. I'm sure they're really itching to see Glennie play in the NHL tomorrow...

Closed Thread