HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Extend Grossmann (Philly Inq. report: $14m over four years)

Old
04-06-2012, 09:37 PM
RoDu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pq View Post
I really hope so. He's so mindbogglingly underrated here it kind of makes my head hurt.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
no kidding..

i think Grossmann' new nick should be "so long Carle"...

i seriously cant wait to bust out the epic happy dance thread/post on the day Carle is gone from Philly..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
no kidding..

i think Grossmann' new nick should be "so long Carle"...

i seriously cant wait to bust out the epic happy dance thread/post on the day Carle is gone from Philly..
lol oh come on....i dont like carle but he isn't awful

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pq View Post
I really hope so. He's so mindbogglingly underrated here it kind of makes my head hurt.
yeah mine too for different reason.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 04-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

What a great move to get this done before the playoffs start. Grossmann is the type of defenseman that Coburn should be. I still think Holmgren's going to overhaul the D though and that Carle is gone and Coburn might follow suit.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
he isnt very good either.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
What a great move to get this done before the playoffs start. Grossmann is the type of defenseman that Coburn should be. I still think Holmgren's going to overhaul the D though and that Carle is gone and Coburn might follow suit.
I think higher of Coburn's play than the average fan. I think the organization probably holds similar opinion to mine (they did extend him at a significant price). Unless he has two abysmal rounds this play offs (presuming we can even get through Pitt), I would be surprised if they moved him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post

your right, he is a an insult to the word AWFUL...

Carle has less value then a bag of cracked pucked.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:37 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I think Holmgren is actually going to build the defense around Coburn and Grossman.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:39 PM
DUHockey9

The Carle hate blows my mind. Terrible players don't put up 40 points and play 22 minutes a night.

He has his flaws, he's playing a bigger role than he should, but Matt Carle is a good hockey player, dare I say, very good.

I do not want him back though. He's going to get too much.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think higher of Coburn's play than the average fan. I think the organization probably holds similar opinion to mine (they did extend him at a significant price). Unless he has two abysmal rounds this play offs (presuming we can even get through Pitt), I would be surprised if they moved him.
They aren't moving Coburn, in fact, it looks like they signed Grossmann to play with him.

Grossman is the replacement for Pronger, stylistically, although you never replace Pronger.

Note that Grossman will make what Carle does now, and I would not be surprised to see Carle resigned too. There are lots of ways to do it. Carle wants to stay, so he could settle for one year at $5M (Pronger's actual salary) and then go for a longer deal after Kimmo's gone next year. It doesn't seem we'll keep Kubina, but he might be an option if they decide to trade Meszaros and sign Carle.

Timonen-Meszaros
Grossmann-Coburn
Carle-Bourdon
Lilja-Gustafsson

We'll see.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Would you trust Carle with the game on the line up by a goal with under a minute left? hes a good palyer, but he is prone to some brutal decisions with the puck. Add into that he wouldnt hurt a 5 year old girl with that wrist shot of his.
how many of those 40 points are tied into Hartnell/Giroux/Jagr.
I dont want him back. Extending Grossman is a clear sign that the Flyers more then likely wont be bringing back Carle.
For the record, I dont hate Carle

Old
04-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Would you trust Carle with the game on the line up by a goal with under a minute left? hes a good palyer, but he is prone to some brutal decisions with the puck. Add into that he wouldnt hurt a 5 year old girl with that wrist shot of his.
how many of those 40 points are tied into Hartnell/Giroux/Jagr.
I dont want him back. Extending Grossman is a clear sign that the Flyers more then likely wont be bringing back Carle.
For the record, I dont hate Carle
No, but with our current line up, he would be out there with the game on the line, down by a goal with under a minute left.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
No, but with our current line up, he would be out there with the game on the line, down by a goal with under a minute left.
ok fine. if thats the case anyone suggesting that bringing him back for even 1 year at 5 million is well dumb.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Kaktus*

19th in SB and 25th in hits.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Carle was one the ice with game on the line plenty of times during the SCF run, when we were playing with only 4 D and Pronger and Timonen were beat up and wearing down.

Let's just say it wasn't Carle who got deked and let his man go for the SCOTGWG....

I really like Matt Carle, and so does the coach, because he keeps putting him out there a lot. Workhorse Dmen who move the puck are really valuable. We aren't getting Suter, and if anyone thinks Gus or Bourdon can replace Carle, they might be in for a shock.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Carle was one the ice with game on the line plenty of times during the SCF run, when we were playing with only 4 D and Pronger and Timonen were beat up and wearing down.

Let's just say it wasn't Carle who got deked and let his man go for the SCOTGWG....

I really like Matt Carle, and so does the coach, because he keeps putting him out there a lot. Workhorse Dmen who move the puck are really valuable. We aren't getting Suter, and if anyone thinks Gus or Bourdon can replace Carle, they might be in for a shock.
of course the organization says they like him. what are they supposed to say?
I would rather go in another direction. For what he brings, 5 million per(what hes likely going to command) just isnt worth it.
so what do you want to do with Gus and Bourdon then? bury em in the minors till they are UFAs?
We can have all the patience in the world with the young forwards and even the goaltending in the organization, but God forbid a 21/22 year old defenseman isnt playing like a veteran right away.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Coburn isn't my favorite defender by any means, but Coburn is the better of the two and was carrying that pairing IMO.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:46 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Our Defense is big; If Pronger plays again it could look like

Timonen 5'10"-Pronger 6'6"
Coburn 6'5"-Grossmann 6'4"
Meszaros 6'2"-Kubina 6'4"

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Prongo
Beer

Doesn't Clement call him the Clydesdale or something? I thought he nicknamed him after a horse or something? Maybe that's Jagr but I swore he called him a name too? Im probably wrong lol

Also Love the signing. That is a extremely fair deal for both sides

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Go For It

Quote:

You're really going to place blame on Timonen for that goal? He did everything he should have in that situation. That goal is on Leighton 110%.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
The Carle hate blows my mind. Terrible players don't put up 40 points and play 22 minutes a night.

He has his flaws, he's playing a bigger role than he should, but Matt Carle is a good hockey player, dare I say, very good.

I do not want him back though. He's going to get too much.
Pretty much this. He can defend against non-superstars (And he's improved steadily this year since he stopped facing the best competition, I think it's because he's been able to learn what works against manageable competition) but don't expect him to hit. He can pass, but he can't shoot, and I swear he's actually gotten worse with that. And then there's the occasional mind-blowing turnover. he has a lot of points, but being able to hand the puck over to guys like Giroux, Hartnell, Jagr, Briere, etc will do that.

He's good at some things, but bad at others. He's not worth 5 million overall, but the assists he produces dictates that he is. Oh well. Let him be someone else's overpaid disappointment.

04-07-2012, 12:37 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Coburn isn't my favorite defender by any means, but Coburn is the better of the two and was carrying that pairing IMO.
I think it's a complementary pairing that is bringing out things in Coby's game that can otherwise lay dormant...playing with Grossburger he knows his role involves more actively moving the puck and pressing offensively than if he's with say, a Timonen, who takes on primary responsibility for those things...I think they need to get this kind of play from Coburn, so I'm all for it. Next season it could all be different, will Carle stay, will Pronger heal? Who knows.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:38 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
We aren't getting Suter,
You know this how? Not saying the Flyers are gonna get him, but the Flyers are gonna have a shot.

Quote:
Workhorse Dmen who move the puck are really valuable. .

Yes, they are. That's why Carle is gonna get an insane contract from someone. Both him and his agent know it. That's why he won't be in Philly next year.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
You're really going to place blame on Timonen for that goal? He did everything he should have in that situation. That goal is on Leighton 110%.
And definitely this. Timonen did everything right. Everything. He forced Kane to the outside. He forced Kane to make a bad angle shot that you never see go in the net. Leighton blew it. There was no deke. Kane was against the boards and out of options, so he just flung the puck at the net since he had nothing else to do. Terrible goaltending.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote