HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Angry Noel Edition (Jets lose 5-4)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
  #76
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,325
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...146307715.html



Is he hinting that guys are going to be shipped out this summer? Sounds like we have a few bad apples in our mix. I've picked up on that throughout the year as well, he mentioned it during the coaches session on Monday as well. Something about how earlier in the year not everyone was pulling their weight and it was affecting the team.
Last time stuff like this came up, Peverley ended up in Boston. There was also something that apparently happened in the locker room the other night where some guys were called out. I don't know who they are talking about but these guys are likely to be moved in the offseason if I had to guess.

BigTuna49 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 12:51 PM
  #77
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,617
vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
People who aren't fans of Noel can say what they want


But I for one absolutely love the guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Puck View Post
There are times this season where I've questioned his decisions and what not (who hasn't?), but after reading his comments in the Freep last night (had to work, but made sweet, sweet OT from midnight to 5:30) I've never wanted to buy a guy a beer so badly.

He freakin' gets it.

I do like that he doesn't call out players by name, it's just implication, but to me that's just as good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Lol, just saw the Noel interview on the TSN site.
Loved it. He called out players without naming names but I guarantee the players that he is upset with know who they are.
I agree. I don't understand some of his icetime decisions, but I loved his comments after the game last night.

It's like he's saying, "either decide that you want to play the right way for yourself, your teammates, and the organization, or find a new home."

Huffer is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
  #78
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,617
vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
You know what, for as bad as they played this game, I was REALLY impressed by Brogosians poise. I haven't seen him looked this confident really since his rookie season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
This has been a big year for him.

for the most part it seems like things have really slowed down for him in his own end of the rink. Huddy had mentioned in the Coach's summit that was their primary focus this year "keeping it simple in our own end". Personally my favorite part of his game (outside his Great skating) is how he tracks star players like Kessel or Tavares to the half wall and finishes checks hard and clean on them. he tends to make it less fun for those elite talents to play. He has good enough skating skills and an size to do that which is a huge bonus.

so in this year that our young up and coming star has focused on his D zone and it seems like they have put the reins on him offensively how has he done in the points department. Interesting stat now is that Zach is up to .384 PPG. If he played in all 81 games at that rate he would have 38 points which puts him right there with Brent Seabrook, Jack Johnson, Drew Doughty, PK, Lidstom (as far as PPG average after I normalized the boys abpverages to 82 games). Once again he has done this as a 21 year old with little to no time on the 1st PP unit on a year they were focusing on his D zone coverage.

The question is how good can he be as his O game matures and he starts getting 1st PP unit time. I know buff has a slightly heavier shot but This past season I think Bogo really developed one of the more "effective shots" from the point I have seen. He seems to know how to adjust well to find the open lane and his shot always seems to get through. also he varies the pace and placement enough to give the goalie fits.

If all the above were not enough to get cheddared about keep in mind another thing Huddy said "Zach is a pleasure to work with because he always wants to improve and is very driven, it doesn't matter whether it's practice or a game he is always trying to learn, grow, and get better"

I know I am a cheerleader but other that the two injuries this has been such a big year for Bogo. The scary thing is he is going to get allot better as he matures in both ends of the rink.
I've been a big Bogosian fan from before the Jets hit the ice this season. It seemed like I was in the trade forums all summer arguing why the Jets wouldn't be trading Bogosian for other teams scraps. A lot of people on this site last summer thought Bogosian was crap, and wanted to offer their crap for him.

He's had a very good year. If he can take the same amount of progression next year and the year after, he is going to be very, very good for us.

He's a phenominal skater. He likes to hit. He's got a great, hard shot.

I agree that maybe Huddy and the coaching staff had him concentrate on the defensive side of his game more this year. Once the coaching staff take more and more of the reins off, I think he is only going to get better. I think we've seen a tiny bit of that in the last few games, as he has been more willing to join the rush.

Sky's the limit for this guy, and it's great to hear all the comments from the staff about his character and work ethic. These are the guys that we want to have as Jets for a long time IMO.

Huffer is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
  #79
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,615
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I don't know who they are talking about but these guys are likely to be moved in the offseason if I had to guess.
If I'm right about this, I don't care who they are or how many goals they score. Get rid of them.

allan5oh is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:16 PM
  #80
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 23,325
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
If I'm right about this, I don't care who they are or how many goals they score. Get rid of them.
Well if they happen to be 20 years old then it can probably be fixed. Mid 20s is another story.

BigTuna49 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:20 PM
  #81
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
Coach has to be careful here.....as Bill Parcells said (in explaining the dynamic of a GM and a Coach)

Chevy buys the groceries and coach Noel does the cooking. One doesn't want to start complaining too much publically about the rotten tomatoes his boss has supplied.

Fine line here and of coarse this is discussed daily behind closed doors but this feels like it is getting dangerously close to the line and putting pressure on your boss to act.

ps241 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
  #82
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,615
vCash: 50
I understand what you're getting at but in this situation I think it is different. Almost all of our players were not picked by Chevy, so he's not going to feel bad about getting rid of a few guys. In fact I think he's well prepared to do that this past summer. He signed very few UFA's this summer. Not a single "splash" signing either.

allan5oh is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
  #83
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,078
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I don't understand how Noel can be frustrated with the effort level of some guys, but still put them out there ahead of the likes of Machacek who busts his ass every shift.
Because effort doesn't always = success. Fact of the matter is some players get more done with way less effort. You have to play the best player available in each situation. You can be pissed as hell if your 30 goal guy is half assing it, but if you need a goal, you are probably gonna throw him out there.

It still comes down to what a player can handle. Machacek has been great in his call up, but he has been put in positions to succeed, in favorable matchups. You start seeing him in tough matchups and you might see him start to fade, make mistakes and lose confidence.

Hockey is a fickle game and is mostly mental. You have to manage players AND their mindsets.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is online now  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
  #84
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...146307715.html



Is he hinting that guys are going to be shipped out this summer? Sounds like we have a few bad apples in our mix. I've picked up on that throughout the year as well, he mentioned it during the coaches session on Monday as well. Something about how earlier in the year not everyone was pulling their weight and it was affecting the team.
Yeah, I'm not too sure how to interpret that. If it was something from last night's game that drew his ire, I'd imagine Kane, Burmistrov and Byfuglien would be the guys he was directing that towards. Both Kane and Burmistrov played like absolute garbage last night, neither one looked like they had their heads in the game. Buff looked like the usual mixed bag, some solid plays but also some totally lackadaisical plays as well.

Don't want to pour fuel on the fire, and obviously I have no clue how those comments should be interpreted. Perhaps it's simply a warning shot to those players, or maybe it's something more. My guess is that it's probably being handled internally as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I don't understand how Noel can be frustrated with the effort level of some guys, but still put them out there ahead of the likes of Machacek who busts his ass every shift.
I don't really get Noel's hesitance to use Machacek. One possible explanation is that evaluating Machacek isn't really necessary at this point, since he should be penciled in for a spot next year. Instead, he's seeing how guys that he may consider on the bubble are responding in these "meaningless" games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Coach has to be careful here.....as Bill Parcells said (in explaining the dynamic of a GM and a Coach)

Chevy buys the groceries and coach Noel does the cooking. One doesn't want to start complaining too much publically about the rotten tomatoes his boss has supplied.

Fine line here and of coarse this is discussed daily behind closed doors but this feels like it is getting dangerously close to the line and putting pressure on your boss to act.
Oh, I know all about that quote . Pete Carroll (the incoming coach who replaced Parcells) had a pretty good quip: "I know nothing about grocery shopping, I usually let my wife take care of it".

Noel has been trying to make things click with a pretty talent-thin roster, so having guys who aren't buying in has to make it all the more frustrating.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:19 PM
  #85
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,078
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
This has been a big year for him.

for the most part it seems like things have really slowed down for him in his own end of the rink. Huddy had mentioned in the Coach's summit that was their primary focus this year "keeping it simple in our own end". Personally my favorite part of his game (outside his Great skating) is how he tracks star players like Kessel or Tavares to the half wall and finishes checks hard and clean on them. he tends to make it less fun for those elite talents to play. He has good enough skating skills and an size to do that which is a huge bonus.

so in this year that our young up and coming star has focused on his D zone and it seems like they have put the reins on him offensively how has he done in the points department. Interesting stat now is that Zach is up to .384 PPG. If he played in all 81 games at that rate he would have 38 points which puts him right there with Brent Seabrook, Jack Johnson, Drew Doughty, PK, Lidstom (as far as PPG average after I normalized the boys abpverages to 82 games). Once again he has done this as a 21 year old with little to no time on the 1st PP unit on a year they were focusing on his D zone coverage.

The question is how good can he be as his O game matures and he starts getting 1st PP unit time. I know buff has a slightly heavier shot but This past season I think Bogo really developed one of the more "effective shots" from the point I have seen. He seems to know how to adjust well to find the open lane and his shot always seems to get through. also he varies the pace and placement enough to give the goalie fits.

If all the above were not enough to get cheddared about keep in mind another thing Huddy said "Zach is a pleasure to work with because he always wants to improve and is very driven, it doesn't matter whether it's practice or a game he is always trying to learn, grow, and get better"

I know I am a cheerleader but other that the two injuries this has been such a big year for Bogo. The scary thing is he is going to get allot better as he matures in both ends of the rink.
I loved this post! So on the mark. I called Bogo as a future Norris candidate and I think when you consider the fact that his offensive game hasn't even been mined yet I could see him being a perennial finalist in 3-5 years.

Jet is online now  
Old
04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  #86
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,178
vCash: 500
Just an aside, for all the talk of Enstrom being tradeable (or not), he earns major props from me for his play in these last two games. Last night I thought he played an outstanding game, he looked very confident and intense at both ends of the rink.

Doesn't change my feelings about him as potential trade bait, but it does serve as a reminder that he's a pretty darn good defenseman with solid character.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 03:12 PM
  #87
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 50
@Hank - he almost pulled a Phaneuf / Kronwall at his blueline last night too - that would have been something to see. Can't remember who he had lined up, but they noticed him JUST in the nick of time.

YWGinYYZ is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 04:24 PM
  #88
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I understand what you're getting at but in this situation I think it is different. Almost all of our players were not picked by Chevy, so he's not going to feel bad about getting rid of a few guys. In fact I think he's well prepared to do that this past summer. He signed very few UFA's this summer. Not a single "splash" signing either.
I don't disagree and this isn't the house Chevy built but you never want to come across like you are forcing a GM's hand and some of the language seems to be getting close. if Chevy can't get deals done this off season becuase buyers aren't biting then it might seem like the GM is turning a deaf ear or not acting.

Like I said I am sure they talk daily behind closed doors and action will be taken in its due coarse.

ps241 is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 05:18 PM
  #89
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I don't disagree and this isn't the house Chevy built but you never want to come across like you are forcing a GM's hand and some of the language seems to be getting close. if Chevy can't get deals done this off season becuase buyers aren't biting then it might seem like the GM is turning a deaf ear or not acting.

Like I said I am sure they talk daily behind closed doors and action will be taken in its due coarse.
Following Chipman's stated mandate to follow the Preds model for the franchise, the GM and coach would form a very close relationship regarding each others roles, needs, wants, etc. I'm sure that Noel and Chevy are pretty tight, and don't see Noel's comments as an issue. Just MO tho.

YWGinYYZ is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 05:43 PM
  #90
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,615
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I don't disagree and this isn't the house Chevy built but you never want to come across like you are forcing a GM's hand and some of the language seems to be getting close. if Chevy can't get deals done this off season becuase buyers aren't biting then it might seem like the GM is turning a deaf ear or not acting.

Like I said I am sure they talk daily behind closed doors and action will be taken in its due coarse.
I get the feeling that Chevy won't be forced, but will act because he wants to. I also get the feeling that him and Noel have already put a plan together for the summer. Chipman also said they may acquire a free agent or two, and I don't think he was talking about fourth liners either. There's going to be some moves this summer.

What I don't see them ever doing is trading picks for rentals.

allan5oh is offline  
Old
04-06-2012, 11:38 PM
  #91
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Following Chipman's stated mandate to follow the Preds model for the franchise, the GM and coach would form a very close relationship regarding each others roles, needs, wants, etc. I'm sure that Noel and Chevy are pretty tight, and don't see Noel's comments as an issue. Just MO tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I get the feeling that Chevy won't be forced, but will act because he wants to. I also get the feeling that him and Noel have already put a plan together for the summer. Chipman also said they may acquire a free agent or two, and I don't think he was talking about fourth liners either. There's going to be some moves this summer.

What I don't see them ever doing is trading picks for rentals.
I don't disagree boys and assume the owners, Managment, and coaching staff are in lockstep by this point in the season but it felt like coach was speaking with emotion and maybe it's just me but occasionally I can say things I would want a do over on when I am pi55ed. I am not flaming coach just hoping he didn't let his emotions get the best oh him on this one.

I took am looking forward to the offseason to see who comes as well as who goes.

ps241 is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 12:18 AM
  #92
LowEnd88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I don't disagree boys and assume the owners, Managment, and coaching staff are in lockstep by this point in the season but it felt like coach was speaking with emotion and maybe it's just me but occasionally I can say things I would want a do over on when I am pi55ed. I am not flaming coach just hoping he didn't let his emotions get the best oh him on this one.

I took am looking forward to the offseason to see who comes as well as who goes.
Yeah it definitely looked like the emotions were getting the best of him in that interview. However, it was nice to see Noel act a little more... human?

LowEnd88 is offline  
Old
04-07-2012, 01:42 AM
  #93
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,846
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Take it over to the game thread, peeps.

__________________
Hammer Slammer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.