HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Hockey Fan #751

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
...by Tencer.
No, in terms of actual radio book ratings.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
No, in terms of actual radio book ratings.
Given they dont go head to head its meaningless. Gregor is a far better journalist/host & isnt a shill for the Oilers.
Tencer is disgusting

Old
04-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post
Given they dont go head to head its meaningless. Gregor is a far better journalist/host & isnt a shill for the Oilers.
Tencer is disgusting
They used to go head to head and Tencer destroyed Gregor in the ratings.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Im trying to remember when that was & what time slot. Tencer of course has a huge advantage no matter what with CHED having the Oiler property so again the ratings dont reflect much imo.
In any event, Tencer is really poor at his job & from my perspective worse than that has little no integrity in how he carries it out. Hes really simply a pom pom waiver for the Oilers, & the remainder of what he does hes simply not very good at.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:27 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Tencer should have given CHED's advantage over the TEAM- not only as Oilers/Eskimos rightsholder but also given 630's large built-in captive audience of elderly shut-ins. I'll bet that Dan's real popular with the bluehairs (snot-nosed kids too!). However, when it comes to males who are either old enough or young enough to actually go out and buy the products advertised on sports radio, Gregor's numbers stack up quite nicely against Tencer's.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister View Post
Im trying to remember when that was & what time slot. Tencer of course has a huge advantage no matter what with CHED having the Oiler property so again the ratings dont reflect much imo.
In any event, Tencer is really poor at his job & from my perspective worse than that has little no integrity in how he carries it out. Hes really simply a pom pom waiver for the Oilers, & the remainder of what he does hes simply not very good at.
Tencer was 8-11, Gregor was 9-12.

I just didn't want that false comment to stand earlier that said Gregor had the highest ratings of any sports show in Edmonton. Couldn't be further than the truth.

I also don't see how anyone could say Gregor's show is better. Maybe if you like talking about the Rush and Desperate Housewives for hours on end. It's just not good radio. Say what you will about Tencer, his topics of the day are almost always exactly what the fans are interesting in hearing about.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Sammy*

Quote:

I just didn't want that false comment to stand earlier that said Gregor had the highest ratings of any sports show in Edmonton. Couldn't be further than the truth.

I also don't see how anyone could say Gregor's show is better. Maybe if you like talking about the Rush and Desperate Housewives for hours on end. It's just not good radio. Say what you will about Tencer, his topics of the day are almost always exactly what the fans are interesting in hearing about.
Gregor is a far better host. Far more knowledgable . Far better interviewer & hes not a shill. Im actually embarassed for how bad Tencer is. Again, I dont see Tencer isnt much of a talent,& has little integrity in his approach overall. To top it off its pretty clear his peers have little to no respect for him.. Its not tough to figure out why (& no,I dont think its jelousy).

Last edited by Sammy*: 04-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old
04-07-2012, 03:14 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Same here. Gregor's show just wasn't interesting anymore so I stopped listening about two years ago.

Definitely agree with the bolded . Tencer actually uses his show to cover the hockey topics people want to hear about. Gregor (in the past when I listened pretty regular) is prone to spend half the show talking about himself and other non-hockey related topics like the Rush and Desperate Housewives.

As far as being a shill for the Oilers - no one even comes close to touching Stauffer in that department. Tencer and Brown are negative Nancys by comparison.

He may look like a dork and people can probably rightfully rip on him because he's immature sometimes on Twitter or in open letters to opponents fans , and it could even be said that he's heading down the Gregor road when he spends too much airtime on his latest road rage story or talking about his "girlfriend" .... but he still puts out the best hockey show in Edmonton imo.

Now that may be an indictment of the competition as much as a feather in his cap, but I suspect those folks hoping to see him fired/gone are going to be left feeling a bit like the sad sack posters here who just can't accept that Gagner is still on the team .

Old
04-07-2012, 03:59 AM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:

Not my comment, but heard it from Spector. Anyway, that was years ago. It isnt even a fair comparison anymore. I'd like to know who people would listen to more from 2-6. Gregor or Tencer. Gregor's show in the afternoon has exploded recently.

And when 1260 becomes TSN radio, i think a lot of people will move to this station. This is years away though.

Old
04-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Lacaar

Have to say I really enjoy all their show's overall.

I'm a hockey fan. pure and simple. I hate when they talk about anything else but. I guess hate is a strong word, how about I become dis-interested. But I also understand you can't always get what you want.

I'd be content just listening to 24*7 hockey radio really. Just don't have the time for other sports. I'm interested in scores and brief passages but that's about it when it comes to CFL, NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
Have to say I really enjoy all their show's overall.

I'm a hockey fan. pure and simple. I hate when they talk about anything else but. I guess hate is a strong word, how about I become dis-interested. But I also understand you can't always get what you want.

I'd be content just listening to 24*7 hockey radio really. Just don't have the time for other sports. I'm interested in scores and brief passages but that's about it when it comes to CFL, NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.
I agree. I can't stand these half-hour long segments on the Toronto Blue Jays. It's Canada... very few people give a **** about baseball.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Same here. Gregor's show just wasn't interesting anymore so I stopped listening about two years ago.

Definitely agree with the bolded . Tencer actually uses his show to cover the hockey topics people want to hear about. Gregor (in the past when I listened pretty regular) is prone to spend half the show talking about himself and other non-hockey related topics like the Rush and Desperate Housewives.

As far as being a shill for the Oilers - no one even comes close to touching Stauffer in that department. Tencer and Brown are negative Nancys by comparison.

He may look like a dork and people can probably rightfully rip on him because he's immature sometimes on Twitter or in open letters to opponents fans , and it could even be said that he's heading down the Gregor road when he spends too much airtime on his latest road rage story or talking about his "girlfriend" .... but he still puts out the best hockey show in Edmonton imo.

Now that may be an indictment of the competition as much as a feather in his cap, but I suspect those folks hoping to see him fired/gone are going to be left feeling a bit like the sad sack posters here who just can't accept that Gagner is still on the team .
the hate-on for Tencer has more to do with how he looks and sounds than anything else. he reminds me of Scott Oak, a guy that should be reporting the news and somehow ended up in sports. He looks and sounds like a newsy.

but, other than that, what's the problem? he has a sports show, he has interviews with great guests (Messier, Donovan Bailey and the interview Rod Phillips was epic), he has phone-in time. so you hate him because... he doesn't say Lowe and Tambo are idiots? Or do you hate him because he doesn't say what you think and want to hear? for some guys, if you are not cutting down the organization, then you're a shill. Tencer questions Renney's decisions all the time.

Its almost as if guys need to hate someone.. they are not unlike those fans that have to boo former Oilers at games. they get a thrill at the whole 'i hate you' gesture. deny till the cows come home, but you get a charge out of saying 'you are an idiot!!'

Old
04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Not my comment, but heard it from Spector. Anyway, that was years ago. It isnt even a fair comparison anymore. I'd like to know who people would listen to more from 2-6. Gregor or Tencer. Gregor's show in the afternoon has exploded recently.

And when 1260 becomes TSN radio, i think a lot of people will move to this station. This is years away though.
Drive time on CHED would destroy anything on the Team in the same time slot.

From 2 to 9 no radio station in Alberta is listened to more than CHED.

Old
04-07-2012, 08:55 PM
AK Dandyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
the hate-on for Tencer has more to do with how he looks and sounds than anything else. he reminds me of Scott Oak, a guy that should be reporting the news and somehow ended up in sports. He looks and sounds like a newsy.

but, other than that, what's the problem? he has a sports show, he has interviews with great guests (Messier, Donovan Bailey and the interview Rod Phillips was epic), he has phone-in time. so you hate him because... he doesn't say Lowe and Tambo are idiots? Or do you hate him because he doesn't say what you think and want to hear? for some guys, if you are not cutting down the organization, then you're a shill. Tencer questions Renney's decisions all the time.

Its almost as if guys need to hate someone.. they are not unlike those fans that have to boo former Oilers at games. they get a thrill at the whole 'i hate you' gesture. deny till the cows come home, but you get a charge out of saying 'you are an idiot!!'
I don't dislike Tencer or anything.

I just wish when he interviews, he wouldn't start with a commentary, then ask a question, then answer his own question, and then say to the guests "am i right?" after one or two minutes or an eternity or so it seems.

That leaves the guess very little to say and much less times to talk. Most interviews from other hosts would be host / guest; 20% / 80%. Dan's would do almost a 50 / 50. He got the rest of this show by himself and he can do lots of commentary, so why take away time from the guests?

Let's say if Dan hosts Coaches Corner or TSN panel, Grapes or MacKenzie would not have time to get a word in due to the length of Dan's question/commentary!

The best hosts like Duthie & McLean say the fewest but facilitate the show masterfully, and then there is host like Dan who keep talking the most....

Old
04-07-2012, 09:22 PM
abootzky

Quote:

Blah blah blah. Say what you want comparing the overall audience of juggernaut 630 CHED to that of niche station TEAM 1260. When I as a listener decide where to go for local sports radio programming, do you think I really care which station has higher overall ratings (especially considering that one of them features non-sports programming for the majority of the day)? I remember how much it sucked here as a sports fan prior to the TEAM's launch in 2002. The TEAM is never going to please everybody all of the time but, to me at least, this town is a much better place with them around.

Oh yeah and Gregor >>>>> Tencer.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:44 PM
doubledown99

Couldn't agree more... Gregor rocks. Yes it's sucks when not talking hockey but as a host there are few i would listen to over him. 1260 is my go to station and Gregor is a big reason

Old
04-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Sammy*

Quote:

So what Dan? Do higher ratings for the station mean you are better at your job or actaually have any integrity?

Old
04-19-2012, 12:52 AM
JohnWayne

Just finished listening to Corey Graham and I think he needs to step up his ability to ask questions and be better prepared. The discussion was about Luongo and trading him to the leafs. The guy he was interviwing suggested that Vancouver would have to pick up part of the contract for a deal to work with the Leafs. One problem, as everyone that gas spent ten seconds looking at the CBA knows, a team can not pick up part of a contract or send money to the other team like they do in baseball and basketball. Corey corrected. Any other talk show host that covers hockey, would have picked up on that blunder, it is a pretty big one and ask for other options. Graham did nothing and did not correct the situation until people emailed in to correct him. Very lazy host in my opinion

Old
04-19-2012, 01:04 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningreb View Post
Just finished listening to Corey Graham and I think he needs to step up his ability to ask questions and be better prepared. The discussion was about Luongo and trading him to the leafs. The guy he was interviwing suggested that Vancouver would have to pick up part of the contract for a deal to work with the Leafs. One problem, as everyone that gas spent ten seconds looking at the CBA knows, a team can not pick up part of a contract or send money to the other team like they do in baseball and basketball. Corey corrected. Any other talk show host that covers hockey, would have picked up on that blunder, it is a pretty big one and ask for other options. Graham did nothing and did not correct the situation until people emailed in to correct him. Very lazy host in my opinion
The guy does pbp for the Oil Kings, riding around all over western Canada on a bus for six months a year. Doing a nightly radio show to boot.

Lazy?

I dont think so.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:10 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
The guy does pbp for the Oil Kings, riding around all over western Canada on a bus for six months a year. Doing a nightly radio show to boot.

Lazy?

I dont think so.
By lazy I think he means by his prep work. I stopped listening to the team's late show awhile ago, as they sort of mailed in the night show--and not catching the contract thing

to me--is a big thing

He may be a good PBP man--but he lacks the skills to be a radio talk show host

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
04-19-2012, 01:36 AM
hfboardsuser

Corey's the hardest-working person in the business. This last season's been hard on him for the reasons IATL outlined; this is a guy who has to, after doing a job that is as demanding on your voice as anything, immediately follow up with a wide-ranging call-in show. Surely you can forgive him the occasional error.

They've been trying to lessen the workload- hence a few of new folks getting cracks on-air throughout the year and Marc Majeau doing the lion's share of ESNL interviews during Oil Kings games- but it's still a tough grind. That constant plugging-in of voices, from Majeau's to Doug Yearwood's to Marlow Weldon's to mine, definitely contributes to an uneven listener experience. But I know those folks are trying their best. When I was filling in, I prepped for hours- sometimes getting to the station at 4 or 5 for a 10-11 PM show. There's certainly no mailing-in going on, and that applies to everyone.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:53 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

That's still something that anyone even vaguely familiar with the CBA would instantly realize is a no-go.

Honestly, there aren't a lot of Edmonton radio guys I really like, Rishaug is good but doesn;t have his own show, Gregor's ok. Millard and Flaming are easily the cream of the crop but their show is catered to the more hardcore fan.

It's actually sad, I'm sure half the posters here could do a better job and would be more knowledgeable then half the guys actually in the radio.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:08 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
That's still something that anyone even vaguely familiar with the CBA would instantly realize is a no-go.
Sure, but again, we all make mistakes. I asked Portzline in October how James Wisniewski was faring in his first few games as a Jacket; I'd forgotten he'd been suspended in pre-season. That happens, and we pay the immediate price for it. If you're at the bar with your friends or whatever and you screw up, your friends might laugh but you'd all move on. Radio folks hear it and often right away- if not from a guest, from listeners like you.

It's also important to remember that Corey is often prepping for these interviews in far-flung locales, with a million things on the go; he might be in Moose Jaw or wherever, trying to come up with Blue Jays questions while he's watching NHL scores and in the midst of prepping for PBP.

Quote:
It's actually sad, I'm sure half the posters here could do a better job and would be more knowledgeable then half the guys actually in the radio.
Knowledge is different from hosting ability. Believe me, I've been on both sides of the desk. When you're a guest, you get all day- sometimes days- to research for your five or ten or fifteen minutes of fame. It's a great feeling to knock a segment like that out of the park. But as a guest, you're not worried about your voice, your diction, the other guests or time constraints. The host is the glue that holds all of that together. It's a difficult, difficult job and it should be no surprise that some of the most successful (Nielson, Rishaug, Millard, LT) in our market have some kind of radio/media training. Guy is the rare exception to that and it's a testament to his work ethic.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:58 AM
rosemount289

Have to Agree...............!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
By lazy I think he means by his prep work. I stopped listening to the team's late show awhile ago, as they sort of mailed in the night show--and not catching the contract thing

to me--is a big thing

He may be a good PBP man--but he lacks the skills to be a radio talk show host

Used to listen to the nine to midnight slot when it was hosted by John Short and others but since Cory Graham took over I stopped listening.........much too nice a personality.

Prefer someone who is strong in his opinions but have the logic to back up his statements.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:59 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post

Honestly, there aren't a lot of Edmonton radio guys I really like, Rishaug is good but doesn;t have his own show, Gregor's ok. Millard and Flaming are easily the cream of the crop but their show is catered to the more hardcore fan.

Maybe he didnt feel like telling the guy he was wrong?

I challenge you to try something. Next time you are watching a game, try doing pbp for five minutes. It will give you a whole new appreciation for how hard that job really is. Corey has just started doing that job (AFAIK) and for my money, I would much rather listen to him, than Hack Michaels for instance.

At least he calls the game as it happens, and does a very good job doing so. Michaels would rather ramble on about some basketball player or something while the play carries on and the audience who tuned in to hear the game has to endure his ridiculous stories instead of listening to what is going on in the game.

Closed Thread