HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with the pending free agents?

Old
04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
lof

vCash: 500
This is how I see things as a Canucks fan...

The Flames prospects are not the best in the league, by any means, but, I think they are certainly similar in level to the Canucks prospects. Let's compare...

Flames: Baertschi, Brodie, Niemisz, Bouma, Aliu, Jones, Backlund, Irving, Butler, Smith, Horak, Reinhart, Carson, Byron... did I miss anyone major?

Canucks: Kassian, Tanev, Gragnani, Lack, Connauton, Jensen, Schroeder, Sweatt, Rodin, Cannata, Sauve, Polasek, Corrado... did i miss anyone major?

Looking at this list, things look pretty even, to me. Maybe even a slight edge to Calgary?

It'll sure be fun to watch over the next 5 years. Both teams are getting older. The guys above and future picks will have to step in soon!

I know I'll get "flamed" for this, but, upon closer examination of the Flames assets, I think the Flames are actually going to make the playoffs next year.

They have a solid, veteran core which, because of dumbass contracts, they may be forced to keep. Iggy, Gio, Kipper, Tangs, Cammy, J-Bo, Jackman, Stajan (eek!) maybe re-sign Joker (ughh! He's so Jekyll and Hyde!), Sarich and Hannan... older, but solid.

Add in the yute, and it's experience from this season, and some new-blood, 9-12 slot role players and you just might have a playoff squad in 12-13.

lof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:13 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Ivanans has signed with Dinamo Riga (KHL).

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:32 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Ivanans has signed with Dinamo Riga (KHL).
Awesome!

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Kitsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lof View Post
This is how I see things as a Canucks fan...

The Flames prospects are not the best in the league, by any means, but, I think they are certainly similar in level to the Canucks prospects. Let's compare...

Flames: Baertschi, Brodie, Niemisz, Bouma, Aliu, Jones, Backlund, Irving, Butler, Smith, Horak, Reinhart, Carson, Byron... did I miss anyone major?

Canucks: Kassian, Tanev, Gragnani, Lack, Connauton, Jensen, Schroeder, Sweatt, Rodin, Cannata, Sauve, Polasek, Corrado... did i miss anyone major?

Looking at this list, things look pretty even, to me. Maybe even a slight edge to Calgary?

It'll sure be fun to watch over the next 5 years. Both teams are getting older. The guys above and future picks will have to step in soon!

I know I'll get "flamed" for this, but, upon closer examination of the Flames assets, I think the Flames are actually going to make the playoffs next year.

They have a solid, veteran core which, because of dumbass contracts, they may be forced to keep. Iggy, Gio, Kipper, Tangs, Cammy, J-Bo, Jackman, Stajan (eek!) maybe re-sign Joker (ughh! He's so Jekyll and Hyde!), Sarich and Hannan... older, but solid.

Add in the yute, and it's experience from this season, and some new-blood, 9-12 slot role players and you just might have a playoff squad in 12-13.

The issue I see with this is that the Flames have nowhere near the core talent that the Canucks do. The Canucks have a prospect group that accruately reflects being a top team in the league. The Flames' prospect are not up to snuff for a team that is the definition of average. However, Sven is an elite prospect and Irving is looking like he may be able to grow into an NHL goaltender. There are a few bright spots. Hopefully Feaster will continue his 1 year Flames record of landing a nice prospect.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Another contract off the books, nice! Maybe PL3 will follow??

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Xelstyle

Good for the guy and good for the team.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Bear61

He was UFA on July 1st anyways, but it is good that he got a job playing hockey somewhere else, and even better that he is no longer one of the Flames...

Bear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Another contract off the books, nice! Maybe PL3 will follow??
Both Ivanans and Leblond were UFA's at the end of the season. Their contracts weren't on the books for next season anyway.

Ivanans moving on was a no brainer. Hopefully Leblond isn't re-signed.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote