HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff not happy with his core

Old
04-07-2012, 08:21 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Sounds like he feels betrayed by they group he has stood by the last few years and made leaders of this team.

At the start of the season he handed the team over to Pommer, Vanek, Goose, Roy and Stafford. Only Pommer has performed from start to finish of that group.

As for being out of character, for the Ruff of the last few years I agree. But at the start of his tenure up until the captains left he was a much tougher task master.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 08:24 AM
joshjull

To state the obvious, In hindsight it was Ruff's mistake for relying on that group in the first place.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-07-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old
04-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

Now....secondly, and more importantly, what boggles the **** out of my mind is that it is such a rare occurrence for Ruff to publicly call out players like this....in this magnitude...coaches are a lot tougher on their guys in the public eye than Ruff is IMO ... Yet he chooses now to blast them? When it will serve absolutely ZEEEEEEERO purpose, and have nothing but a potential negative impact going forward? You single out a veteran defenseman who plays the game about as honestly and purely as one can...makes one bad mistake (after a poor pinch by his partner) and now we take the avenue of publicly putting the game on that play? "**** you, veteran who was hesitant to come here in the first place... I don't really care about you as a person anymore because you made a mistake in game 81"....

This one truly has my head spinning. Is there anyone that can rationalize this tantrum from Ruff's perspective for me?
" don't pick on the grizzled veteran player, who's mistake was a critical factor in losing..."

i think regehr can handle the criticism... if he can't, he's part of the problem.

FYI that's not the only type Regher blew that type of play this year

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Ennis screwed up an odd-man just like Vanek did. Sure players need to look in the mirror, but Ruff...

- failed to have a good plan on how to use Leino
- failed to find an option at center for too long before trying Ennis
- failed to get Adam on track
- failed to get more out of Kassian
- failed to get more out of Boyes (maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but why not play him with Vanek-Hodgson?)
- failed to impose a tighter defensive gap to play 2-1 type games when they were down 9 guys and struggling Dec-Feb.

Blame certain players all you want, but it comes down to the coach to get the most out of what he has.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Squantosawuss

My first impression of Ruff's rant is that maybe he DOES feel some heat now and maybe his job IS NOT as guaranteed as many had originally thought.

Who knows what those around Pegula have been whispering in his ear? I've worked for enough companies myself where the heads of the company tell you one thing absolutely---only to change their mind a bit further down the road.

Putting so much weight on that last goal in the Flyers game is being unnecessarily hard on one of the more solid and dependable players. I agree with Ruff about the core---but the core has been stinking up the joint most of the season---so why call them out NOW? Hmmmmm. Very interesting.

Fandom aside, Pegula is very much a part of corporate America, and in Corporate America, you do what is expedient.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:43 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
What should he say?!

I see no problem with this. Why would he call them out during their playoff run? That would just make things ******.

Now that nothing is on the line, I have no problem him saying what he thinks.

Just because most people think he should be accountable and should be gone, that does not mean he shouldn't rightly call out his players.

Much ado about nothing.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
I dunno...he's not saying anything different than any posters say on a daily basis. Ill timed? Probably, but it sounds like he's fed up. I thought forsure Vanek was injured. If not, then I am very, very disappointed. Oh well... changes are def coming. It sounds like it will be roster changes.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I think it's it obvious Ruff is talking about Vanek. I also think he doesn't like Vanek(and hasn't for a while), but that's ok with me because I want him off this team in the worst way.
That's how I heard it as well. The 'you get paid to score goals' line is what tips it off.

Vanek has had a terrible end to the year and I would not be surprised to see him moved in the summer.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:09 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
That's how I heard it as well. The 'you get paid to score goals' line is what tips it off.

Vanek has had a terrible end to the year and I would not be surprised to see him moved in the summer.
He said the core failed. Members of said core paid to score; Roy, Vanek, Stafford and Pommer.

I know many want to turn this into Ruff -vs- Vanek. But it seems like more than that to me.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:18 AM
McTank

I like this. A lot. Ill probably take flack for it but I'm not sure I want ruff gone yet. If this core is gone this summer than pegula/regier/ruff are getting the big picture

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:19 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Seems ruff is throwing a poke at regier maybe trying to keep his highly regarded image

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:25 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Seems ruff is throwing a poke at regier maybe trying to keep his highly regarded image
I dunno I think regier/ruff make decisions together. I think it was more of a hint that the oh do talented cores jobs are not safe

Old
04-07-2012, 10:42 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
If this team chooses Lindy Ruff over Thomas Vanek, we have a much bigger problem.

You can change the parts out all you want, and over the past 14 years that hasn't mattered. The voice that has led those players has never been held accountable for his failings.

5 Years, 3 missed playoffs, 2 first round exits. That's a putrid track record. That gets other coaches fired.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:50 AM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
If this team chooses Lindy Ruff over Thomas Vanek, we have a much bigger problem.

You can change the parts out all you want, and over the past 14 years that hasn't mattered. The voice that has led those players has never been held accountable for his failings.

5 Years, 3 missed playoffs, 2 first round exits. That's a putrid track record. That gets other coaches fired.
It is a good point, he's just been such a big part of this team, when you hear sabres a lot of people think of lindy ruff. I guess maybe its time for a new identity though

Old
04-07-2012, 10:58 AM
SoFFacet

While the timing of the rant is questionable, I'm more just glad that someone in management is acknowledging that the players failed, and not just shrugging it off as injuries or bad luck.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:59 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
It is a good point, he's just been such a big part of this team, when you hear sabres a lot of people think of lindy ruff.
Exactly. He's been a big part of a team that's never won anything. That's the point.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Look at this roster...honestly tell me it's better on paper than ours.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/FLA/2012.html

That team made the playoffs in a pretty comparable division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
While the timing of the rant is questionable, I'm more just glad that someone in management is acknowledging that the players failed, and not just shrugging it off as injuries or bad luck.
Someone needs to tell me that management failed. Because it did.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:10 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Look at this roster...honestly tell me it's better on paper than ours.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/FLA/2012.html

That team made the playoffs in a pretty comparable division.

they didn't have leino and boyes sucking at offense for 90% of the year...so it is . and 2 things: who the **** is jason garrison (16 goal dman, literally never heard of him) and how the **** did campbell score 53 pts??

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Sabretip

Vogl's description of what he witnessed is even more telling:

Quote:
The chat -- no, make that a monologue -- lasted up to 10 minutes. No one made a peep and few even moved a muscle as Ruff bounced his stick up and down, left and right, his chin defiantly thrust in the air as he told the eliminated Sabres they failed to come through when it mattered.

After putting the Sabres through an hourlong practice, their longest in weeks if not months, Ruff summoned the players to the blue line again. They took a knee and stared up at Ruff, another extended tongue lashing on tap. The coach ended the long lesson brusquely and skated away to fire a puck off the goal post. The players stayed on one knee to digest the message, complete with the realization there wasn't much reason to climb to their skates.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle799634.ece

So many different ways to read the possible consequences of this:

1) Ruff's finally reached the point of giving up on his core, meaning he'll endorse / recommend / plead to Regier to ship some of them out.

2) Ruff vented out of embarrassment by calling out his players (even if he didn't name them other Regehr and Stafford, the "core" reference clearly points to Roy, Vanek, Miller and Pominville not coming through) in a public manner he usually avoids - which will only build resentment amongst those players towards Ruff.

3) Ruff foolishly ignored any correlation to how his coaching decisions this season had on on the outcome - which seems arrogant and misguided IMO. Normally, he's been honest enough in the past to admit his accountability in getting the team to play better and avoid all of the mental mistakes. I don't know if his rant was intended to focus the media attention on the roster but it no doubt will draw more spotlight in the post-mortem comments we'll read in the coming weeks on himself and whether he's overstayed his time and effectiveness.

4) Ruff's rant may be a subtle admission of exasperation he feels of not reaching his players anymore or breaking through to the point where he may throw in the towel on coaching and move into a less hands-on role.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
I suspect that all Sabre fans are praying that Pegula will be the one to do so, if for no other reason to dispel the notion that he's blinded by false loyalties and self-serving excuses to view this season's flop as an aberration.

I think back to the TV interview Pegula gave back in January at the height of the losing streak and injury plague, where he was asked how he'd view the team missing the playoffs. Pegula said flat out in a pretty stern voice that he'd consider that a major failure.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quite honestly I no longer care what Ruff has to say about anything pertaining to this team.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Vogl's description of what he witnessed is even more telling:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle799634.ece

So many different ways to read the possible consequences of this:

1) Ruff's finally reached the point of giving up on his core, meaning he'll endorse / recommend / plead to Regier to ship some of them out.

2) Ruff vented out of embarrassment by calling out his players (even if he didn't name them other Regehr and Stafford, the "core" reference clearly points to Roy, Vanek, Miller and Pominville not coming through) in a public manner he usually avoids - which will only build resentment amongst those players towards Ruff.

3) Ruff foolishly ignored any correlation to how his coaching decisions this season had on on the outcome - which seems arrogant and misguided IMO. Normally, he's been honest enough in the past to admit his accountability in getting the team to play better and avoid all of the mental mistakes. I don't know if his rant was intended to focus the media attention on the roster but it no doubt will draw more spotlight in the post-mortem comments we'll read in the coming weeks on himself and whether he's overstayed his time and effectiveness.

4) Ruff's rant may be a subtle admission of exasperation he feels of not reaching his players anymore or breaking through to the point where he may throw in the towel on coaching and move into a less hands-on role.
Good break down. This is BIG in many possible ways, and I'm curious how it plays out.

Worst case scenario: This group sticks around and so does Ruff, and they all resent each other. It could be status quo + strife, which would be a disaster.

Other possibilities include this causing a culture change in the locker room. Management stays the same, but the team is made over.

Or we could all be surprised by a change in management. Or there's the very unlikely change in management, change in team (total shakeup edition).

Based on Ruff's comments, Ted Black saying a month ago they're not wed to a core, and the amount of picks and trade bait pieces (I firmly believe Adam, Brennen, Roy, and Gerbe are legitimate options) that Regier has, I think this ends with a team overhaul via trades and cheap FA acquisitions (think bottom 6 guys). Mr. Patience, er Pegula, gives Darcy and Lindy one more year to try this again with new players. If that fails, they're out of excuses.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:38 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Ruff is a joke and needs to go.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:41 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Good break down. This is BIG in many possible ways, and I'm curious how it plays out.

Worst case scenario: This group sticks around and so does Ruff, and they all resent each other. It could be status quo + strife, which would be a disaster.

Other possibilities include this causing a culture change in the locker room. Management stays the same, but the team is made over.

Or we could all be surprised by a change in management. Or there's the very unlikely change in management, change in team (total shakeup edition).

Based on Ruff's comments, Ted Black saying a month ago they're not wed to a core, and the amount of picks and trade bait pieces (I firmly believe Adam, Brennen, Roy, and Gerbe are legitimate options) that Regier has, I think this ends with a team overhaul via trades and cheap FA acquisitions (think bottom 6 guys). Mr. Patience, er Pegula, gives Darcy and Lindy one more year to try this again with new players. If that fails, they're out of excuses.
I'd love to see a team overhaul+ruff out, but i'm not sure if darcy would ever think to fire him.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
dlonce

Quote:
As far as Hamilton, he's more in love with Ruff than just about anyone. So his take on anything Ruff related should be ignored. He's got an agenda for certain players that rivals what you read here sometimes.
Yes he is. I'm tired of listening to Hamilton's company line. He Parrots everything said by Ruff and management, never offers up correct criticism where it is most notably needed.

Hamilton severely criticized Ilya Kovalchuck for his lazy defensive play a couple years ago. Now where do you think he heard that from? Darcy Reiger and Ruff of course. Fans where clamoring for a guy , a real goal scorer like him and their response is to send Hamilton on the airwaves to hammer the guy.

He's like the broadcasting crew when it comes to Miller. It's never Millers fault on a goal, it's always a screen or a deflection or Rob Ray blaming a forward/defenseman for not "taking a man" out of a play(as though Ray actually did any of that). It's never a soft goal or pointing blame towards who is most at fault. They build up who they want and demolish players they want, like Vanek. It serves a purpose, a self centered agenda.

It's the company line all the way and it's tiring as a fan.

dlonce is offline   Reply With Quote