HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Guild Wars 2 - Launch "Tuesday, August 28th, 2012"

Old
03-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
So I'm spending 100 hours before I can actually play the game? I can't make a character, choose a starting city and just go from there?

Maybe this isn't my game then lol.
Huh? The goal isn't to get to 80 and do end game content (although there will probably be some end-game levle 80 content). The goal is to play the game. So there was a level 35 dungeon posted. There's a boss fight at level 1 for most if not all races as a tutorial - there's boss fights while you level through DE or storymode.

You make a character/race and they start in one particular city (can't choose - 4 or 5 races? And each has their own city) and you can 'go from there' in the sense that -> you can immediately to structure PvP, you can WvWvW and level up through that type of PvP, you can do your story (kind of like an RPG) and level up that way or do only DEs and level up through that.

If you're level 80 in a lower level zone though - you don't 1 hit stuff, you get scaled down. You'll be better than a lower level, for sure but not to the point where you can run someone through content easily without help.

As for dungeons - the only thing I know for sure is before you do explorable mode dungeon (the hardest thing to do in the game or one of the hardest...) you have to beat it in 'storymode' or w/e. What that means IDK. It could mean at level 1 you run all the way to the level 80 dungeon, do it in storymode, and attempt explorable... or not. Storymode is considerably easier and the drops are different b/w explorable and storymode. Explorable being slightly better, cooler looking and more specialized.

Last edited by Loose Sens: 03-24-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:55 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Huh? The goal isn't to get to 80 and do end game content. The goal is to play the game.

You make a character/race and they start in one particular city (can't choose - 4 or 5 races? And each has their own city) and you can 'go from there' in the sense that -> you can immediately to structure PvP, you can WvWvW and level up through that type of PvP, you can do your story (kind of like an RPG) and level up that way or do only DEs and level up through that.

If you're level 80 in a lower level zone though - you don't 1 hit stuff, you get scaled down. You'll be better than a lower level, for sure but not to the point where you can run someone through content easily without help.
Got it, I'm not familiar with the terminology of GW so I completely misread your other post.

Sounds good to me.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I dont understand the complaints about GW2s RMT system. It's not like Diablo 3's auction house which is just plain terrible.
A lot of people seem to be under the belief that they have made the game pay to win. They think you can just buy gems and trade them to get any item found in the game which isn't true since anything gotten through karma or dungeon tokens can't be traded. Only items obtained through gold can. There were also some leaked screen shots of the cash shop, the only thing in what was shown that could remotely be considered pay to win was a resurrection orb, but we have no info on when it can be used. If it can't be used in dungeons, which is what I suspect the case is, then there really isn't much of an issue there I don't think.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Got it, I'm not familiar with the terminology of GW so I completely misread your other post.

Sounds good to me.
It's late so my posts are confusing and I am editing a lot. The basic mechanic for dungeons is Storymode (only have to do it once for each dungeon) unlocks Explorable Mode. Storymode is considerably more easy (plus you can get paired with random players or something in a queue?) and the drops are good. Explorable mode is much, much harder but the gear dropped is 'better' (so more specialized... IDK how to describe any other way) and 'cooler' looking.

WvWvW - you jump in and everyone is level 80 but a level 80 will have more skills/better ones on their bar + slightly better equipment but it's not like the WoW level 20 guy in awesome gear (from his main) destroying someone the same level. It's not balanced but you won't get destroyed or destroy either (unless of course multiple people gang up on you LOL but 1v1 should be alright).

Structured PvP - everyone is boosted to 80, given same stats, access to all skills (of course 10 skill bar limit... 5 of which aren't related to weapon - so really 5 skills you must choose before entering a match), etc... so it's pure skill and strategy vs. pure skill, strategy.

Dynamic Events - Basically like quests except visual/voice and they are 'naturally' occurring so they just happen and if you are nearby you get a message saying "this is going on if you want to participate" and when you get there it tells you what to do. Many will turn into DE chains (so you stopped the invasion, fight them back and then fight until you get to their camp and kill their leader or w/e)... and end with a boss fight. The events 'scale' so whenever more people join, the monsters or w/e (sometimes it's not monsters but a building on fire or something) get tougher to defeat.

Personal Story - The storymode - kind of like an RPG where you make a few choices but you follow a general story arch. It's more a single player thing but you can invite your friends to do your story with you.

I think that basically covers the main parts of the game. Edit: also I'm not sure if storymode dungeon is linked at all to your character's personal story... I don't think so but don't know for sure. In other words - I am pretty sure you can do the dungeons without doing personal story (if you are interested in dungeons and not personal storymode).

Last edited by Loose Sens: 03-24-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old
03-26-2012, 04:26 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Tons of new stuff up, too lazy to compile it but google should be sufficient.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
It's late so my posts are confusing and I am editing a lot. The basic mechanic for dungeons is Storymode (only have to do it once for each dungeon) unlocks Explorable Mode. Storymode is considerably more easy (plus you can get paired with random players or something in a queue?) and the drops are good. Explorable mode is much, much harder but the gear dropped is 'better' (so more specialized... IDK how to describe any other way) and 'cooler' looking.

WvWvW - you jump in and everyone is level 80 but a level 80 will have more skills/better ones on their bar + slightly better equipment but it's not like the WoW level 20 guy in awesome gear (from his main) destroying someone the same level. It's not balanced but you won't get destroyed or destroy either (unless of course multiple people gang up on you LOL but 1v1 should be alright).

Structured PvP - everyone is boosted to 80, given same stats, access to all skills (of course 10 skill bar limit... 5 of which aren't related to weapon - so really 5 skills you must choose before entering a match), etc... so it's pure skill and strategy vs. pure skill, strategy.
Dynamic Events - Basically like quests except visual/voice and they are 'naturally' occurring so they just happen and if you are nearby you get a message saying "this is going on if you want to participate" and when you get there it tells you what to do. Many will turn into DE chains (so you stopped the invasion, fight them back and then fight until you get to their camp and kill their leader or w/e)... and end with a boss fight. The events 'scale' so whenever more people join, the monsters or w/e (sometimes it's not monsters but a building on fire or something) get tougher to defeat.

Personal Story - The storymode - kind of like an RPG where you make a few choices but you follow a general story arch. It's more a single player thing but you can invite your friends to do your story with you.

I think that basically covers the main parts of the game. Edit: also I'm not sure if storymode dungeon is linked at all to your character's personal story... I don't think so but don't know for sure. In other words - I am pretty sure you can do the dungeons without doing personal story (if you are interested in dungeons and not personal storymode).
Is this supposed to be a joke?

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
sabresfan129103

the game looks hard as ****. that's a good thing. PVE was difficult in the original guild wars.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post
Is this supposed to be a joke?
Which part? Structured PvP I think works like this: Competitive tournaments 5v5. There is also hot-join like an FPS Structured anywhere from 1v1-10v10?

The main mechanic is capture points, 3 capture points (first to 500 wins). There are side mechanics (so their featured map had trebuchets that could destroy stuff and players)

Instead of GW1 where you could make a pvp char or a pve char - your pve char is temporarily boosted to 80 in the lobby and is given access to everything temporarily inside Structured PvP.

The skill bar is 10 skills (IDK weapon swapping might provide more if you can do it in the matches?) the 5 on the left hand side of the health bar are weapon skills, on the right there is 1 elite, 1 self-heal and 3 utility?

Old
03-27-2012, 03:32 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
the game looks hard as ****. that's a good thing. PVE was difficult in the original guild wars.
IMO PvE was non-existant in the original, at least until the later updates and implementations.

Which is a shame really, PvE is what I'm looking for in MMOs, PvP always ends up a zergfest or a complete unbalanced clusterf***.
PvP-wise, I just play CoD or DOTA.... PvE is what keeps me interested in RPGs / MMORPGs.

Hopefully GW2 delivers even if its looking bleak in that area right now
(8 dungeons, no competitive PvE content AT ALL, etc.).

Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 03:43 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

If you want end game PvE, stick to WoW IMO... WoW does PvE better than anyone else will.

03-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
If you want end game PvE, stick to WoW IMO... WoW does PvE better than anyone else will.
Actually, up until the last expansion, WoW couldn't compare to EQ2 in end-game raiding.

Sadly, EQ2's gone to **** in the last year and a half.

Last edited by Corto: 03-27-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Corto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Or PvP (not wow but definitely don't go to guild wars looking for top notch PvP)

Quote:
Which part? Structured PvP I think works like this: Competitive tournaments 5v5. There is also hot-join like an FPS Structured anywhere from 1v1-10v10?

The main mechanic is capture points, 3 capture points (first to 500 wins). There are side mechanics (so their featured map had trebuchets that could destroy stuff and players)

Instead of GW1 where you could make a pvp char or a pve char - your pve char is temporarily boosted to 80 in the lobby and is given access to everything temporarily inside Structured PvP.

The skill bar is 10 skills (IDK weapon swapping might provide more if you can do it in the matches?) the 5 on the left hand side of the health bar are weapon skills, on the right there is 1 elite, 1 self-heal and 3 utility?
I'm just a little iffy on the way the structured PvP is set up. I haven't had much time to play the game so I can't really comment on how I like it or not. I'm not a huge fan of the lack of variables when it comes to skills/items in this game.

Last edited by Graveland: 03-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old
03-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanca View Post
Or PvP (not wow but definitely don't go to guild wars looking for top notch PvP)

I'm just a little iffy on the way the structured PvP is set up. I haven't had much time to play the game so I can't really comment on how I like it or not. I'm not a huge fan of the lack of variables when it comes to skills/items in this game.
I disagree with respect to Guild Wars - perhaps not anymore but 2005-2007 (and even into 2008) was some of the best competitive PvP I've seen (and to a certain extent) experienced in a game.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:07 AM
SERE 24
LGR

I'm so torn between GW2 and Tera right now, I really don't know what to do. I have Tera pre-ordered right now because it granted beta access, so I'm getting a taste of Tera, but I really want to pre-order GW2 online on the 10th to get beta access for it as well so that I can compare. If I like GW2 more, I'll cancel the Tera pre-order. I really don't know which I want to play. I have a feeling GW2 is going to have richer content.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I'm so torn between GW2 and Tera right now, I really don't know what to do. I have Tera pre-ordered right now because it granted beta access, so I'm getting a taste of Tera, but I really want to pre-order GW2 online on the 10th to get beta access for it as well so that I can compare. If I like GW2 more, I'll cancel the Tera pre-order. I really don't know which I want to play. I have a feeling GW2 is going to have richer content.
You could always just keep both, that's what I plan on doing. Since GW2 will basically be a one time fee. Tera will be my P2P game.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:20 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
You could always just keep both, that's what I plan on doing. Since GW2 will basically be a one time fee. Tera will be my P2P game.
I just don't think I'll have the time to play both, and I've never been the kind of person to play more than one game at a time, not including NHL. I usually play one game from start to finish (console) before even trying a new one, even if it's like Christmas time and I receive a few all at once. With MMO's I like to focus on one, get a good social group that I can roll with and devote myself to one character. I don't really level alts even. I'm not too experienced with MMOs, granted (FFXI, FFXIV, LOTRO, the latter two both briefly) but I just can't see myself playing both, once they're both out. I'm torn.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:20 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

ArenaNet has done PvP in a MMORPG better than anyone. I have no idea why anyone would hate it.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
So I was browsing EB Games today and checked up on GW2 for a release date, and I was excited to see we finally have one! 6/26/12 Everybody!

link:

http://www.ebgames.com/pc/games/guild-wars-2/75863

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
ArenaNet has done PvP in a MMORPG better than anyone. I have no idea why anyone would hate it.
Yes, the team dynamic, while problematic in PvE sometimes, was wonderfully balanced in PvP for the most part.

Here's hoping stuff like Snowball fights, and The Dragon Arena return too. Dodgeball was actually possible to play using the in game mechanics before ArenaNet introduced it.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I really want to pre-order GW2 online on the 10th to get beta access for it as well so that I can compare.
You can't do that. You only get access to GW2 beta weekend events with a pre-purchase.

I mean, you can still get in the events via other means, but pre-ordering the game doesn't grant you beta access.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
I'm sorry back autofacing backstab moves that move you behind your opponent and limited key commands is severly limiting PvP. They definitely haven't done it better than everyone.

Maybe for carebears.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:01 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
You can't do that. You only get access to GW2 beta weekend events with a pre-purchase.

I mean, you can still get in the events via other means, but pre-ordering the game doesn't grant you beta access.
I meant pre-purchase. I know the deal with getting the beta access and early start; I mean to do it right through the GW2 site, I just called it "pre-order" instead of "pre-purchas".

Old
04-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Basically EBGames is listed as only place to get the pre-purchase Collector's Edition.

I noticed this: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70328

And was wondering if anyone had contacted NCIX or Arena Net to ask if this is legitimate?

Old
04-08-2012, 07:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

My friend who works for Gamestop already has his CE pre-ordered. Just wow...

But yeah, 2 more days till the digital pre-orders.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 12:43 AM
chasespace

So I've been looking at this game recently and can tell there are many people in this thread more versed in this game than I am. I was wondering if this game would be something I would enjoy.

My MMO experience mainly is SWTOR. I really enjoyed how you had an individual narrative but the repetitiveness of the tasks is really beginning to grind on me(no longer go right to it on my computer but take my time to start it up). I've also spent a couple months playing Atlantica in the past. I'm a huge fan of RPG and fantasy games.

What sets this game apart from SWTOR(aside from no fee and setting)? Will this play like an RPG or an MMO?

chasespace is online now   Reply With Quote