HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top 4 Dman to the Pens

Old
04-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Blitzburgh87*

vCash: 500
Top 4 Dman to the Pens

Could the pens get a top 2 or top 4 dman for Paul Martin+
If so who? And give me your best offer.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Ugh. No.

If we deal Martin, it's not going to be for another ****ing defenseman.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:37 PM
wej20

Makes no sense. Top 2 Dman are worth a ton so we're not going to get one for Martin unless we add a plus that we don't want (i.e Staal). Why would we trade Martin, a top 4 dman for another top 4 dman? and why would that team trade their top 4 dman for Martin?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Flat Stanley

Pens just keep Martin.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Kaen

Do you mean a cheaper, but less talented top 4?

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Robidas. Also Souray if you want.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
JRS91

Don't we already have four top-four defenseman?

Letang
Martin
Michalek
Orpik.

JRS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Robidas. Also Souray if you want.
I'd honestly take it. The pens need no more offense.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppaJak View Post
Don't we already have four top-four defenseman?

Letang
Martin
Michalek
Orpik.
Yes you do. And a very good top 4 at that. The Pens are stacked, from top to bottom. No reason for any major changes if you ask me. The team had over 100 points and was missing their best player for over 75 percent of the year, and their best dman for over 50 percent of the year. If both healthy, to me, they are easily the best team in the NHL, I'm talking easily over 120 points. Anything can happen in the playoffs, so I'm not guaranteeing a cup, but they would be my favourite for sure. I do not understand all these threads about top 4 dmen, and top 6 wingers to the Pens, they make no sense to me. This is the best team in the world when healthy, AINEC.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Paul Martin makes WAY to many mental errors that cost us goals. He's still a top 4 dman though. And okay? Excuse me for being a rookie user to the hfboards it doesn't mean I'm new to the NHL. Please sir enlighten me with your superior wisdom of this game I wish to learn. Called hockey?

Old
04-06-2012, 01:49 PM
JustinCider

I'm not even a Pens fan, i don't hate them, but I'm an Oiler fan. I just see it the way it is. The Pens have the 2 best players on the planet, a lot of solid talent around them, and one of the best GMs in the league. Paul Martin might not be a superstar, but he's a solid #3 on any team in the league, he's a minute eater, who can provide a little offence. I still love the Gogo for Neal trade, what an absolute steal for the Pens. Gogo's really good, but the Pens already had a great top 4, and they added Niskanen to replace him. Neal is exactly what they needed, a big winger who can score. I still can't believe the Stars gave up on him so quickly. I like Benn a lot too, but why wouldn't you want to build your team around those 2 and Eriksson, it made no sense to me. That Pens/Flyers series is gonna be awesome, too bad Pronger wasn't healthy, oh well, it's still gonna be an absolute war.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
JRS91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Yes you do. And a very good top 4 at that. The Pens are stacked, from top to bottom. No reason for any major changes if you ask me. The team had over 100 points and was missing their best player for over 75 percent of the year, and their best dman for over 50 percent of the year. If both healthy, to me, they are easily the best team in the NHL, I'm talking easily over 120 points. Anything can happen in the playoffs, so I'm not guaranteeing a cup, but they would be my favourite for sure. I do not understand all these threads about top 4 dmen, and top 6 wingers to the Pens, they make no sense to me. This is the best team in the world when healthy, AINEC.
Dat logic.

Michalek, Martin and Orpik haven't had the greatest seasons, but if they have a strong playoffs, that's all that really matters. Letang-Orpik and Michalek-Martin were the only defenseman who looked like they knew what they were doing last year against Tampa.

Hopefully they're solid this year. I understand they make a lot and fans are frustrated with them, but our top four is as solid as any in the NHL.

JRS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
I'm not even a Pens fan, i don't hate them, but I'm an Oiler fan. I just see it the way it is. The Pens have the 2 best players on the planet, a lot of solid talent around them, and one of the best GMs in the league. Paul Martin might not be a superstar, but he's a solid #3 on any team in the league, he's a minute eater, who can provide a little offence. I still love the Gogo for Neal trade, what an absolute steal for the Pens. Gogo's really good, but the Pens already had a great top 4, and they added Niskanen to replace him. Neal is exactly what they needed, a big winger who can score. I still can't believe the Stars gave up on him so quickly. I like Benn a lot too, but why wouldn't you want to build your team around those 2 and Eriksson, it made no sense to me. That Pens/Flyers series is gonna be awesome, too bad Pronger wasn't healthy, oh well, it's still gonna be an absolute war.
I understand this sir. But Martin has been absolutely HORRID this year. He makes so many mental mistakes that cost us goals. I can't tell you how many times he's been burned or turned the Puck over. And yea I guess the pens are that good but it never hurts to add right? I mean I'm Not being selfish but if we want to keep winning our defense needs to get better.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Riptide

The only way you do this deal is if it's for a different type of Dman (more physical, shutdown type). Like the Gilbert/Schultz trade.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
PensFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
I understand this sir. But Martin has been absolutely HORRID this year. He makes so many mental mistakes that cost us goals. I can't tell you how many times he's been burned or turned the Puck over. And yea I guess the pens are that good but it never hurts to add right? I mean I'm Not being selfish but if we want to keep winning our defense needs to get better.
You vastly overblowing Martin's deficiencies this year. He hasn't ben spectacular, btu it's been much more of a team breakdown in terms of defense when other teams score lots of goals against the pens.

Orpik and Michalek have both been a bit shaky compared to last year, but it's less apparent because they make less and are a bit less under the microscope than Martin.

Most teams would kill to have a defenseman that moves the puck as well as Martin. Maybe a bit overpaid, and may be becoming redundant in the Pens system due to our young stockpile of great young defensemen coming up, but I see no reason to make a lateral move and pick up another defenseman in his place when there are going to be 9-10 defensemen trying to make the Pens next year.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:36 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

If anyone out of the D is going it's Michalek.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I don't think so. Too important to the PK.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:28 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
A #5 dman at best, overpayed with a NTC for a top TWO or even four defenseman? only pens fans

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:39 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
A #5 dman at best, overpayed with a NTC for a top TWO or even four defenseman? only pens fans
If Martin's a #5 at best what does that make guys like Eaton, Staois, Lilja, Lovejoy, etc? #10s?

Old
04-07-2012, 04:12 AM
JohnnyDuck93

lydman and a 4th for your 1st?

JohnnyDuck93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:16 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDuck93 View Post
lydman and a 4th for your 1st?
We're trying to shed a Dmen not gain another one.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Incorrect, Martin would be the prime target to leave. Michalek is great for us on the PK and Martin's cap hit makes him expendable.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote