HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taking a Snap Shot

Old
03-21-2012, 02:57 PM
uncleodb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I do the same thing, and I believe that helps load the stick, both the dragging motion and the proximity of the puck.
When you are doing the dragging motion, are you also pushing down on your stick at the same time to flex (load) it? I can't seem to get that much power into my shot and wondering if i'm doing it wrong.

I try to drag the puck, stop for a split second to create that bit of separation from the blade and puck, then transfer my weight to my right foot (i'm a righty) and then do the push pull action. When I do my weight transfer, I'm kinda leaning down on my stick.

Thanks!

uncleodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

I agree with everyone on the "drag" towards the feet. It really changed my snapper and added so much power and spin on the puck.

Almost like I'm going to do a little lateral toe-drag, but quickly snap it halfway.

This isn't my video, and it's not the greatest, but basically like this.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleodb View Post
When you are doing the dragging motion, are you also pushing down on your stick at the same time to flex (load) it? I can't seem to get that much power into my shot and wondering if i'm doing it wrong.

I try to drag the puck, stop for a split second to create that bit of separation from the blade and puck, then transfer my weight to my right foot (i'm a righty) and then do the push pull action. When I do my weight transfer, I'm kinda leaning down on my stick.

Thanks!
I don't try to flex my stick all that much, just a little pressure with my bottom hand against the ice. I drag the puck in out of habit, sometimes a lot to change the angle on the goalie, and also because I use a Sakic curve with a higher lie and lots of rocker and like to shoot off the more open part when I cup it.

There was a point in time a couple years ago where I was trying to really lean into the stick and rip the shot HARD. I worked with goalies I knew and would take shots and get their feedback. They kept saying "you have a hard, quick shot" and did you notice any difference "not at all".

I think from there I figured out it wasn't so much the velocity I was getting but telegraphing the release, i.e. trying to shoot in stride. I made the adjustment late in the summer to focus on getting rid of the puck as quickly as possible and I've more than doubled my scoring this year even after moving up and facing harder competition.

When I have time and space, like a breakaway or a 2-on-1 where the D-man is cutting off the pass, I liked to be aggressive in my stance and make them think at any point in time I'm going to shoot. I like to do tiny movements to throw them off, like moving the puck from in front to behind my blade, opening up the face slightly and then closing, a tiny stick handle/shoulder/head move, etc ALL FROM A SHOOTING POSITION i.e. puck at my side. I also get in a lot closer than I used to, shooting from below the hash marks rather than the top of the circles which every coach used to tell me to do. So I get in tight, try and back them up, try and freeze them or get them to go down, and then shoot as fast as I can get rid of the puck at any opening I see.

When I don't have time and space, like when the defenseman is coming back and I'm being pressured, it's just skate to the net as fast as I can and either try and knock it in off either pipe, five hole, or bar down at the corner. I almost never aim or think, just get close to the net and get rid of it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Fanned On It

What is this "push-pull" you guys are talking about? I've never really had any formal shot training and my regular wrist shot is pretty hard, but I've never heard of the push-pull and I want to know if I'm doing it.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
85 at 6'2 is on the whippier end but not too bad considering your weight. It's more height than weight dependent unless you're a freak athlete.
Really? I thought flex had everything to do with weight and your capability to to actually utilize the flex.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Really? I thought flex had everything to do with weight and your capability to to actually utilize the flex.

its a mix of both factors

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
What is this "push-pull" you guys are talking about? I've never really had any formal shot training and my regular wrist shot is pretty hard, but I've never heard of the push-pull and I want to know if I'm doing it.
Push-pull is when you push through with your bottom hand while pulling back with your top hand. You're using your bottom hand as a fulcrum. Think like a catapult. Most people do something like this subconsciously, but if you work on it you can up the power quite a bit.

Quote:
There are really two factors at play, stick length and strength. Stick length is personal preference but for most people, the taller they are, the longer the stick. Longer sticks feel whippier because you can put more torque on them.

With strength, most people are a lot more average than they'd admit, unless they have spent a lot of time in the weight room.

Example: You can have a guy with 10% bodyfat at 5'8 150 or 35% bodyfat at 5'8 200. That body fat isn't making the fat guy any stronger, so there's no reason he should be using a stiffer stick than the skinny guy. Now if he was 5'8 200 with 10% bodyfat, he'd have 45 more pounds of muscle and probably be strong as hell and would be able to use a stiffer stick.

But for your average beer league schlub, you're probably not going to be insanely stronger than the next beer league schlub who's 6" taller or shorter than you. That's why I recommend based on height, not weight.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Push-pull is when you push through with your bottom hand while pulling back with your top hand. You're using your bottom hand as a fulcrum. Think like a catapult. Most people do something like this subconsciously, but if you work on it you can up the power quite a bit.

There are really two factors at play, stick length and strength. Stick length is personal preference but for most people, the taller they are, the longer the stick. Longer sticks feel whippier because you can put more torque on them.

With strength, most people are a lot more average than they'd admit, unless they have spent a lot of time in the weight room.

Example: You can have a guy with 10% bodyfat at 5'8 150 or 35% bodyfat at 5'8 200. That body fat isn't making the fat guy any stronger, so there's no reason he should be using a stiffer stick than the skinny guy. Now if he was 5'8 200 with 10% bodyfat, he'd have 45 more pounds of muscle and probably be strong as hell and would be able to use a stiffer stick.

But for your average beer league schlub, you're probably not going to be insanely stronger than the next beer league schlub who's 6" taller or shorter than you. That's why I recommend based on height, not weight.
Right I get ya. I wonder if I'm doing the push/pull. My shot is pretty decent for only having skated for a year, I just want that extra power on my snapper so I'm looking for technique. And about the flex thing, I'm tall but skinny and I don't really work out so I think 85 is the highest I can go. And when I cut it down a couple of inches I'm sure that pumped the flex up to like 88 or somewhere around there (not a huge difference). I think weight factors a lot into what stick people should buy, it's not really about "muscle-strength" as much as it's about weight-transfer. A relatively heavy guy that knows how to transfer his weight properly would need a higher flex stick because he's going to put all of his weight into his shot, so we take that into account when we're selling sticks to men's league guys/junior players/youth players and everyone else in general.

But I'll definitely keep an eye on my technique and take what everyone said into acccount. Thanks for the responses! Basically I'm going to look for the push/pull, try to pull the puck in towards my feet a little, and lean into the snap shot.

Old
03-24-2012, 04:19 PM
TieClark

I like to use snap shots when there is a defender in front of me... I toe drag it a bit and then snap it trying to use the defender as a screen. I find them really hard to spot though... practice would fix that I would think but wrist shots are far more accurate.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've done that a few times this past year with success. Lots of bodies in the net and I get the puck from say 10-15 feet out. Drag in to try and shoot through or around the legs of a defender. Goalie never sees it through all the traffic.

Old
04-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Fanned On It

I can't seem to get this "drag-in" motion down. I can't seem to lean into the shot when I pull the puck into my feet. How close is the puck supposed to be when you snap it?

Old
04-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Offtheboard412

watch lots of semins highlights i think he does it more than anybody else. its beautiful to watch

Offtheboard412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Guys really good at taking snap shots do all the following in one really quick motion, probably in like a third of a second:

Pull puck towards body
Transfers weight to off leg
Drop bottom hand down slightly
Push with bottom pull with top hand and snaps

I find the weight transfer to be the toughest part.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I found a facility about an hour away from here that has a shooting cage and mini rink. Two visits for pickup on the rink (3v3, tons of shooting) and shooting in the cage after (HORSE with teammates from beer league) have done wonders for finding the snapper.

It's part toe drag, part push-pull, part lean, and part release. Remove the toe-drag portion at times and keep the snap contact/motion and it really adds another portion. Definitely a work in progress, but progressing nonetheless.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
ponder

Quote:
I can't seem to get this "drag-in" motion down. I can't seem to lean into the shot when I pull the puck into my feet. How close is the puck supposed to be when you snap it?
It can be pretty minor. Watch the Cammalleri video posted on the first page to get an idea, often you're just dragging it in a couple of inches. I only do the really extreme drag/pull ins when I really want to change the angle on the goalie, or when I really need to drag it in to shoot around a shot blocker.

Honestly, you can perform a snap shot with no drag at all. The key aspect of the snap shot is to load the stick around the start of the shot, then release, as opposed to the wrist shot which is more of a continuous, sweeping load throughout the shot. A snap shot is like a slap shot in that the stick loads up before coming in contact with the puck, but with the snap shot there's no wind up, you do all the loading with arm strength and weight transfer. Look at how Phil Kessel often shoots, when he's shooting in stride he very often does not drag the puck in at all, he goes straight from stick handling to loading/shooting, it's part of what gives him such a quick, hard to read release. I personally find that for some reason I have a bit more power and accuracy with the little pre-shot drag, but I still often use the Phil Kessel type snappers when a quick release is most important, you can often catch goalies without them even noticing that the shot is coming.

This is a decent example of what I'm talking about (start watching at 55 seconds if you just want to see the goal):

You get the shot off so quickly this way, it can be really deceptive, the goalie often won't notice you're shooting until the puck is off your stick.

Last edited by ponder: 04-07-2012 at 11:57 AM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
It can be pretty minor. Watch the Cammalleri video posted on the first page to get an idea, often you're just dragging it in a couple of inches. I only do the really extreme drag/pull ins when I really want to change the angle on the goalie, or when I really need to drag it in to shoot around a shot blocker.

Honestly, you can perform a snap shot with no drag at all. The key aspect of the snap shot is to load the stick around the start of the shot, then release, as opposed to the wrist shot which is more of a continuous, sweeping load throughout the shot. A snap shot is like a slap shot in that the stick loads up before coming in contact with the puck, but with the snap shot there's no wind up, you do all the loading with arm strength and weight transfer. Look at how Phil Kessel often shoots, when he's shooting in stride he very often does not drag the puck in at all, he goes straight from stick handling to loading/shooting, it's part of what gives him such a quick, hard to read release. I personally find that for some reason I have a bit more power and accuracy with the little pre-shot drag, but I still often use the Phil Kessel type snappers when a quick release is most important, as you can often catch goalies without them even noticing that the shot is coming.
Also, to continue this thought, it depends on the curve. I use a heel curve so when I drag, the puck more often than not is in the sweet spot. I picked up a Sakic curve from a teammate that I have used a lot before and the drag didn't do anything bc I was used to the same motion as the heel curve.

At it's most basic function, the snap shot feels like you make contact with the puck and a very short time after, you snap your wrists to aim at the target. How you get there is up to you, but it is the snapping motion that brings the power/accuracy. If you drag and snap, or snap on the fly, the motion is what is there.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Also, to continue this thought, it depends on the curve. I use a heel curve so when I drag, the puck more often than not is in the sweet spot. I picked up a Sakic curve from a teammate that I have used a lot before and the drag didn't do anything bc I was used to the same motion as the heel curve.

At it's most basic function, the snap shot feels like you make contact with the puck and a very short time after, you snap your wrists to aim at the target. How you get there is up to you, but it is the snapping motion that brings the power/accuracy. If you drag and snap, or snap on the fly, the motion is what is there.
Yeah I get you. What I do is pretty much take a wrist shot with shorter pull back and let the puck get an inch ahead of my blade and then snap it. I just have trouble leaning into the snap shot, don't know why..

Old
04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Fanned On It

If possible, would someone be able to take a video of themselves taking a snap-shot so I can really see what you all mean by this pull in towards the feet and WHERE you guys are doing this? I've watched as many videos as I could find on youtube but none of them really elaborate enough.

Old
04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's usually not quite as exaggerated but that's the idea.

Old
04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
having trouble embedding from my phone but here's a good vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Lbn...e_gdata_player

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
having trouble embedding from my phone but here's a good vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Lbn...e_gdata_player
Nice vid man! I can't seem to get that "snap" motion down and actually get a flat, fast puck out of it. Mine is usually all wobbly. Could be follow through.