HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Energy drinks and their repercussions...

Old
04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Ozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
So would the consensus be that drinking a cup of coffee before a game is much better than an energy drink?
It would depend how you react to such amounts of caffeine.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Fire Julien

I've been popping 4 Sudafed pills before every game for years. Never had any issue.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:57 PM
hlrsr

Just a gatorade does the trick for me.

The last time I had a 5 hour energy shot my heart was racing after the game for a while and I almost felt like I was going to black out. Not sure if it was from the shot but I never bothered with it again.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:23 PM

I'm the kind of guy that abuses prescription pills and takes a much bigger dosage than prescribed but when it comes to energy drinks I'm really careful.

**** getting a fast heartbeat for 2 hours and then getting a caffeine crash or dieing from a heart attack in what should be your prime years.

I have a WhiteFlood bottle that I can't wait to finish. If it didn't cost me 40$ I would just throw it in the garbage.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Energy drinks and such only help at certain times. I NoXplode before games and notice a ton of endurance. Though, if I play pickup early (waking up at 415am to play at 530am), I will drink an energy drink and notice the more alert feeling and less endurance.

Ideally, I would do neither.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Grave77digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
We all have different tolerances and body conditions. Ephedra was able to be used safely but there were some back in the day who abused it and that was the end of that for everybody.

Me, I've had 9 Monsters within a couple hour span once at Mayhem Festival and was able to get to bed as soon as I got home as usual.

Most the time if I have one before a game, I don't even feel any different. I just hope for the placebo effect if nothing more, I don't want to be doubling my expenses to have 2 for every game.
Ephedra made me go blind for what felt like 5 minutes. Scariest **** ever. Made me blood pressure drop low. I cant do Monsters or redbulls before or during hockey. Ill drink half a 5 hour energy an hour before getting on the ice. Otherwise I cant catch my breath\cool down when I sit at the bench.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave77digger View Post
Ephedra made me go blind for what felt like 5 minutes. Scariest **** ever. Made me blood pressure drop low. I cant do Monsters or redbulls before or during hockey. Ill drink half a 5 hour energy an hour before getting on the ice. Otherwise I cant catch my breath\cool down when I sit at the bench.
Different reactions from different people. That sucks though, thankfully I've never experienced anything like that from any stims. I imagine that would scare the **** out of me as well!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Saucy Dangles

2 scoops of Jack3d into a 32oz Gatorade drink half before game, and polish the rest off through the game.

Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I did ephedrine and caffeine stacks nearly 10 years ago for a bit. Helped drop some weight, but in hindsight probably wasn't healthy. One time I accidentally took a double dose and that was not fun...heart racing for a couple hours and me having panic attacks. That was the last time I took them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Yeah I don't really get a reaction out of caffeine or energy drinks, the only time I have them is when they're giving them out as promo's on the street (which happens fairly often downtown Vancouver in the summer). Last one though I was feeling tired at the time, drank my energy drink, but 30 minutes later was still tired so went down for a good nap.

For playing hockey I've never quite figured out the best routine, apart from making myself a giant smoothie a few hours before but that could be more about having an excuse to make a smoothie rather than game prep . Otherwise the only thing I do before I step out the door is take a quick table spoon of honey.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Scrapped the energy drink and drank a cup or two of coffee before last nights game...
Felt a heck of a lot better although I know i shouldn't depend on the caffeine boost.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:13 PM
mug25

I'll quote Paul Rudd from Role Models...

"This stuffs poison".

Stay away from Energy Drinks. If you want a "kick" drink some coffee. To be honest, drinking a Monster isn't going to make you skate faster or longer...in fact, I've found that energy drinks make people "crash". The guys on my Beer League team that drink energy drinks before our games end up skating like crap by the third period...

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
I'll quote Paul Rudd from Role Models...

"This stuffs poison".

Stay away from Energy Drinks. If you want a "kick" drink some coffee. To be honest, drinking a Monster isn't going to make you skate faster or longer...in fact, I've found that energy drinks make people "crash". The guys on my Beer League team that drink energy drinks before our games end up skating like crap by the third period...
Role Models is a great movie.

I've experienced the third period crash.

Old
04-14-2012, 08:45 PM
TieClark

Drink the Gatorade Prime stuff and Gatorade Perform during the game... I noticed a huge difference when I tried that stuff

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:58 PM
mug25

Quote:
Role Models is a great movie.

I've experienced the third period crash.
LOL

"This stuffs poison"

"It's not poison. It has juice in it."

mug25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug25 View Post
LOL

"This stuffs poison"

"It's not poison. It has juice in it."

Old
04-14-2012, 10:30 PM
BHDefensiveForward

I was doing back to back goal tending one day, and had an energy drink before the second game... Big mistake! I was spending more time trying to stop myself from vomiting all over the place, and the cramps were brutal... One and only time I will ever have any form of a energy/sport drink. Just plain water for me! I can't even eat 4 hours before a game, or drink too much without problems waiting to happen.

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 3221
Quote:
So would the consensus be that drinking a cup of coffee before a game is much better than an energy drink?
I would suggest a Gatorade before the game more then a cup of coffee. Caffeine is diuretic meaning it will make your body excrete more water in your urine, this isnt good when your in your hot hockey gear, working hard, sweating lots and having to pee more.

Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of one's normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. This can be followed by constipation. Athletes may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30%[6] and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydra...s_and_symptoms

I would also drink water continuously throughout your games at least a couple of sips every few shifts.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:02 AM
SiberianBull

Send a message via Skype™ to SiberianBull
There have been a number of studies done to test the effect of caffeine on exercise. I thought this was the most relevant one since the training interval they used (the wingate test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wingate_test) most closely resembles a hockey rotation

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...ate%20Exercise

In short caffeine had no effect on performance.

The argument can be made for taking caffeine to increase mental alertness. But in a hockey game or any sport really, the adrenaline alone does a pretty damn good job taking care of that.

I do prefer caffeine prior to a weightlifting session, because it's so mind numbing and my heart rate is rarely elevated. I take caffeine in the form of Stacker-2 or Stacker-3 pills (150 and 250mg of caf/serving, respectively)... was never a fan of nrg drinks or coffee.

In short, IMHO: yay for caffeine prior to stricktly anaerobic activity (weight lifting, TPS reports, poker, monopoly)... nay prior to aerobic/endurance exercise due to negligible benefits, heart stress, and dehydration as playerwinner has mentioned (sports, jogging, teh sex0rz).

SiberianBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:27 AM
donkers*

Screw energy drinks before games. I drink beer.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playerwinner View Post
I would suggest a Gatorade before the game more then a cup of coffee. Caffeine is diuretic meaning it will make your body excrete more water in your urine, this isnt good when your in your hot hockey gear, working hard, sweating lots and having to pee more.

Dehydration symptoms generally become noticeable after 2% of one's normal water volume has been lost. Initially, one experiences thirst and discomfort, possibly along with loss of appetite and dry skin. This can be followed by constipation. Athletes may suffer a loss of performance of up to 30%[6] and experience flushing, low endurance, rapid heart rates, elevated body temperatures, and rapid onset of fatigue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydra...s_and_symptoms

I would also drink water continuously throughout your games at least a couple of sips every few shifts.
I've experienced the dehydration. I've had muscle cramps so intense that I was literally afraid I'd tear a muscle. Some of the most excruciating pain I've ever felt.