HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Duchene for Nash straight up

View Poll Results: Would you trade Duchene for Nash straight up?
yes 10 19.23%
no 42 80.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Puckstop40
Registered Avs Fan

vCash: 500
Holy **** relax! Duchene has had a terrible year, we know that. Injuries, slumps, and poor finishing have led to that. There is no way in hell you trade a player like Duchene. He is only 21, and has loads of potential to be a star not only for our team, but in the NHL. Stop with the panic ********.

Puckstop40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post

Nash sucks
Funny enough on the post game show on Thursday he said The Avs should go after Nash if the price was right...that he'd instantly make the Avs a Cup Contender.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Funny enough on the post game show on Thursday he said The Avs should go after Nash if the price was right...that he'd instantly make the Avs a Cup Contender.
He didn't say we should trade Duchene for him... And in a vacuum (in which we don't trade any players) he's correct, but Nash isn't the guy I want on my team. I wouldn't break the bank for him either. No heart, seems to be a locker room *******.

Rhaego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFitted67 View Post
Would you trade Duchene for Nash straight up?

Duchene has had an injury plagued season, and an off-year.
Nash is having an off-year too. Before the season was officially over, his play was awful and his numbers reflected that.

Quote:
He is capable of putting up Nash-like numbers.
He is younger and cheaper.
I think he's capable of bettering Nash's numbers if he can learn to settle down and develop as a playmaker, and yes he's certainly cheaper.

Quote:
However, he is not the leader that Nash is.
He does not provide the same type of game-in, game-out effort and consistency that Nash does.
I don't know how much CBJ hockey you watch, but Nash's consistency is actually very similar to Duchene's. It's frustrating to watch.

Quote:
And finally, no one has ever seen Nash play with a half-decent team around him, so who knows what he could accomplish...
This has some truth, but another thing about Nash's game is that he is really selfish. He's extremely difficult to play with. When he had his biggest goal scoring seasons he was around the net cleaning up what others threw his way, but nowadays it's almost a requirement that the puck be on his stick before he starts trying. Mind you, I'm sure much of this is due to frustration.

Quote:
So I pose the question, would you?
Without knowing anything about them personally, and not understanding what makes either tick, it's tough to say. They both have physical gifts that are nearly unparalleled around the league, and when on they are as dangerous as anyone. However, I question both of their work ethics. As likely as it is for a good team to fix Nash's, I think it's more likely Duchene grows out of some childish ways in the near future.

Okay so you held a gun to my head? I wouldn't. I'd rather keep the young guys together and let them grow up as a unit, and try to add veteran talent that's won before through free angency.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Balls on the table!

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop40 View Post
Holy **** relax! Duchene has had a terrible year, we know that. Injuries, slumps, and poor finishing have led to that. There is no way in hell you trade a player like Duchene. He is only 21, and has loads of potential to be a star not only for our team, but in the NHL. Stop with the panic ********.
I think the discussion comes up so much because now because his value is still high even though he had a bad season. Might not be as high in the future if he continues along this path.

18007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:58 PM
FreshFitted67

I am really surprised by all the people who have such poor opinions of nash. For me, he has always been someone who unquestionably had captaincy leadership qualities. I have never heard someone say "maybe someone else should be the captain of Columbus". He was also named captain of Team Canada in the the world championships, and MVP one year as well. That year he was spectacular and I specifically remember all his teammates chanting his name during games and in the locker room. Name another player, who's done that before. He's been on Team Canada in the Olympics and won a gold medal as well. Also a 2-time 40 goal scorer.

Like I said before, I think Duchene has the potential to reach that level, but personally, I'd rather have someone who is at that level than someone who may or may not get there. Also, I don't really buy the whole "roll 3 decent scoring lines" argument. Jones, McGinn, and to a certain degree Downie are all fringe top 6, maybe even 3rd liners on decent teams. I would rather have an elite winger right now than an overload of centres. ESPECIALLY with Hejduk on his way out, and no replacement in sight.

My judgments of Duchene are not based solely on his poor showing this season. He has always been someone who is overly flashy, and a showboater. He gets more excited when he or one of his teammates scores a "sick" goal, than when they score a really important one. His celebrations are over the top and excessive. He sometimes is a puck hog and is now known for his signature move "the 360 giveaway." Maybe he'll grow out of it... but maybe not. I don't know. All I know is that I'd rather have Nash.

I agree that Nash's trade value is higher than Duchene's. The asking price for Nash right now is an elite young defender, picks as well as NHL ready players and maybe a goalie prospect. I don't think Duchene commands anywhere near that trade value, and therefore from an asset management perspective, it's a fairly wise move.

*I don't hate Duchene, I'm still a fan of his. If he is not traded, and I doubt he will be, I will still be happy he is on the team.*

FreshFitted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:09 PM
jake07

Duchene for Evander Kane

jake07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake07 View Post
Duchene for Evander Kane
No dice.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:53 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Duchene for Crosby, Malkin and a 1st.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM93 View Post
Duchene for Bozak, Komisarek a 4th and a coupon for a free smoothie at Orange Julius.

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:11 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
Duchene for Bozak, Komisarek a 4th and a coupon for a free smoothie at Orange Julius.
Bro, Bozak is a first line center on any team in the NHL, and quite possibly on any international team. Realistically: Duchene for Komisarek (obvious top line pairing D), Kulemin and a 4th.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:18 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
No thanks. I dont wanna trade our 21 yr old centreman. I want a clean sweep from management down to the coaches before I won't duchene gone

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:24 PM
outoftune

Yes in a heartbeat........ Its nash..........All that needs to be said

outoftune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Would you trade Duchene for Nash straight up?

Duchene has had an injury plagued season, and an off-year.
He is capable of putting up Nash-like numbers.
He is younger and cheaper.

However, he is not the leader that Nash is.
He does not provide the same type of game-in, game-out effort and consistency that Nash does.
And finally, no one has ever seen Nash play with a half-decent team around him, so who knows what he could accomplish...

So I pose the question, would you?

Lines could look like this next season...

McGinn, Stastny, Nash
Landeskog, O'Reilly, Downie
Van Der Gulik, Porter, Mueller
McLeod, McClement, Kobasew
Lol off topic but I haven't seen it posted yet, but is anyone else terrified of the fact that we'll finish last in the league next season with that bottom 6?

I don't recall the last half of the season seeing much of porter, van der gulik, or kobasew (injury), but where is McClemment? Olver? Jones not resigned? This scares me...

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:39 AM
forsbergavs32

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheFan19 View Post
Bro, Bozak is a first line center on any team in the NHL, and quite possibly on any international team. Realistically: Duchene for Komisarek (obvious top line pairing D), Kulemin and a 4th.
Gotta have the coupon for a free smoothie at Orange Julius or no deal (Coupons for Tim Horton's are also acceptable, however.)

forsbergavs32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
Gotta have the coupon for a free smoothie at Orange Julius or no deal (Coupons for Tim Horton's are also acceptable, however.)
True dat. I hear that that coupon has great potential to be either a top defensemen, or a delicious berry sensation.

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Foppa Frossa

Duchene will not be traded.

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:39 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM93 View Post
Knowing how some people on here tend to overrate Avs players, they'll say no to that deal as well.

I'd trade Duchene for Nash. Nash is a proven player, playing consistently on the worst team in the NHL hasn't helped his point production. On a better team Nash will be a force.

Edit: That said, look at this guy's goal production per season on a crappy team.

74 GP - 17 goals his rookie year
80 GP - 41 goals
54 GP - 31 goals
75 GP - 27 goals
80 GP - 38 goals
78 GP - 40 goals
76 GP - 33 goals
75 GP - 32 goals
82 GP - 30 goals

This is no brainer. Give me Nash over Duchene, the guy is a proven scorer where Duchene is showing inconsistency at the moment and you just don't know whether he's for real or a bust.

Last edited by the_fan: 04-08-2012 at 12:48 PM.
the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
This exact quote can be applied to Duchene. We saw Duchene can produce with a good play maker like Fleischmann or Mueller in those 20 games. He closed out this season playing with broken Mueller and a scrub like Kobasew which is actually worst than what Nash had to close out the season.

Duchene is not a puck winner, he's good at starting and receiving a breakout pass but he needs a guy (ideally a hard working Downie) to do the dirty work on the wing and win the puck. I think Duchene can put up Nash like numbers with good players, so this hypothetical doesn't apply too well.

Oh and btw last season at the WC, Duchene, Tavares, Skinner, and a few more were all better than Rick Nash in the early games I saw. Hitchcock kept giving Nash TOI though.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:56 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Knowing how some people on here tend to overrate Avs players, they'll say no to that deal as well.

I'd trade Duchene for Nash. Nash is a proven player, playing consistently on the worst team in the NHL hasn't helped his point production. On a better team Nash will be a force.
Yeah, I guess. But you could say the same for Duchene. We haven't exactly been a powerhouse in the league yet Duchene has already put up respectable numbers with not much help from wingers. Plus he loves it here in Denver so i'm sure he would take a discount to stay here. Only way I realistically deal Duchene is if it's something along the lines of Jordan Staal and James Neal.

That leaves:
Neal- Stastny -Landeskog
Mcginn -Staal/O'reily - Mueller
Downie - Staal/O'reily - Jones if he returns, if not Olver.
McLeod - McClement - Kobasew

Not too bad. although unrealistic.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote