HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two years of tanking and we are Stanley Cup contenders sooner than later

Old
04-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Oilers drafting high again. For how many years now? Why aren't they contender yet? Our pick will change little to the equation in the first 3-4 years.
Given that there's no Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, or Sidney Crosby in this draft class, you'd probably be right about 9 times out of 10. However, other variables may change the odds in favor of the Habs, especially if they're combined. Here are a few:

1) The first round pick is fully ready to enter the NHL with a bang AND one or more of the lower round picks unexpectedly blossoms (the way Patrice Bergeron or PK Subban did in their rookie seasons).

2) Young players within the organization (Eller, Leblanc, Avtsin, etc.) enjoy breakthrough years.

3) The Habs add one or more elite veterans via trade or free agency.

4) There are no major injuries to key players,

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Oilers are "rebuilding" as a way to excuse management incompetence, not out of a designed strategy. Heck they thought they'd make the playoffs this year, or at least avoid the lottery.

Signing Khabibulin to a long 35+ contract was especially silly. He just had his best season as a Oiler with .910. He's been terrible for them, but that was a bad deal on the face of it.
The Khabibulin signing was unforgivable. They gave him double the years and double the money per year than what Roloson was asking for. I was not terribly keen on re-signing Roloson, but if those were my two choices I wouldn't have hesitated for a second to bring Rolli back. With Roloson the Oilers were not a playoff team, but they weren't a lottery team either. That only happened after they brought in Khabibulin. Three year of Khabibulin, 3 years straight in the lottery. That is not a coincidence.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Oilers drafting high again. For how many years now? Why aren't they contender yet? Our pick will change little to the equation in the first 3-4 years.
It's hard to be competitive when you are spending very close to the cap floor plus they had some overpriced veterans and buyouts to clear up on top of it. Look what happened to us when we had $20 million on injury reserve for most of the season.

If Edmonton went out and got $12 - $15 million worth of veteran d-men in the free agency market they would probably be a playoff bubble team.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
It's hard to be competitive when you are spending very close to the cap floor plus they had some overpriced veterans and buyouts to clear up on top of it. Look what happened to us when we had $20 million on injury reserve for most of the season.

If Edmonton went out and got $12 - $15 million worth of veteran d-men in the free agency market they would probably be a playoff bubble team.
Edmonton is a little under 4M away from Cap Ceiling, not sure how that means they're spending close to the floor.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Oilers are "rebuilding" as a way to excuse management incompetence, not out of a designed strategy. Heck they thought they'd make the playoffs this year, or at least avoid the lottery.

Signing Khabibulin to a long 35+ contract was especially silly. He just had his best season as a Oiler with .910. He's been terrible for them, but that was a bad deal on the face of it.
Well, if it is intentional they've done a great job of convincing everyone that it wasn't. Because they've made all kinds of dumb moves. They should get a new GM and then enjoy the benefits of the picks that they've accumulated.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 02:19 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
1. Are you kidding me? St.Louis' top 9 is great, David Perron, David Backes, T.J. Oshie, Patrick berglund, steen, stewart arnott. Those are some of the best defensive forwards in the game playing in a very defensive system, of course none of them are gonna have exceptional offensive seasons. People said the exact same thing about Boston's top 9 last year.

2. thing is were racing against the clock Markov and Cole and to a lesser extent Plekanec, are all very important pieces to our team moving forward but they're all on the tail end of their career. It could take 3-5 years for our top 3 draft pick to develop and become an effective top 6 player, same goes for players like gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi,Ellis, Bournival and Leblanc.

3. No number one center, I know a lot of people think Desharnais can be a number one center, I just don't think he is capable of being a legit number one. Furthermore I don't even consider patches/desharnais/cole a first line I think of them more as a good 2nd line. I know you think we don't need a true number one center to be a good team and i respect that and to an extent I agree with that, however Plekanec needs to show he can produce offensively on a more consistent bases, then again he does need better line mates. And if eller is to develop into a 50+ point two way center he needs to play with better line mates (just like plekanec) and he also needs more ice time. Which leads me to believe Plekanec should be traded, why? because he's valuable now, and eller needs start developing now.
That is why if we have a chance to trade our 1st pick for a Getzlav we should do it as we are in no position to rebuild.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well, if it is intentional they've done a great job of convincing everyone that it wasn't. Because they've made all kinds of dumb moves. They should get a new GM and then enjoy the benefits of the picks that they've accumulated.
Never ascribe to malice what can properly explained by stupidity. Especially if it is the Oilers.

You have to understand, too, the media over there isn't the adversarial gang we have here. They bend over backwards to fawn on the awesomeness of every move and scapegoat people the org wants to trade.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote