HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

CCM U+ CL elbows

Old
04-07-2012, 12:29 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
CCM U+ CL elbows

This post is gonna seem like I'm a CCM employee secretly plugging their product on forums, but I'm honestly not I'm only posting this because I know a LOT of people have trouble finding an elbow pad that isn't annoying as hell in game, so many of them don't stay locked in place and/or restrict your movement, but this one was really fantastic.

I was at a LHS today picking up a new shaft, and noticed they had the new CCM protective gear in (the stuff with no plastic inserts, only the U foam). Tried some on for fun while I was there, and I was blown away by the U+ CL elbows. They're definitely not the biggest, most protective elbows, but they stay in place phenomenally well, and are really mobile, nicest retail elbow I've ever tried on IMO. If I hadn't recently picked up some Rbk 7K pros from a guy on these forums, I would have picked them up in a second, as the 7K pros are the first elbow I've ever been truly happy with, but are very hard to find. The CCM elbows have a pretty different design in terms of the elbow cap itself, hard to describe, but it's basically like a slightly elevated, grippy donut for the tip of your elbow that just holds it perfectly. One thing I noticed, though, was that you really need the right size - in most elbows I can rock a medium or a large, but in these the large had WAY too much volume in the forearm, there was no way I'd get it closed and the fit was very sloppy in general, while the medium was just right. Definitely not a product to order online without trying it on first.

So, if you're shopping for new elbows, and are more about mobility and the elbow staying in place than you are about getting one with insane protection, you should absolutely try these on.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 05:58 PM
AIREAYE

Agreed with the trying it on part. It's a 3 piece elbow and CCM has been going with this concept for quite a while. The grip is really nice, since there's a neoprene layer underneath the Y-shaped anchor strap that goes across your upper arm near the joint without interfering with motion. The donut also has neoprene for added grip. Combine this with a shirt with silicone elbow grip and you're golden.

I personally do not find them at all mobile or well-fitted. I normally go into Sr Small, but mobility was quite hampered for me since some of the elbow 'tabs' went into the main body, restricting movement a bit. Not impressed, though I never fit into the U+ Pros well either and I'm a bit skinnier in the arms...definitely go try on though.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Stickmata

I have the CCM U Fit (07 I think) that they sold up to last year and I've always felt that they're the best elbow pads out there in terms of fit and mobility. I've tried on everything my LHS has on in the other brands and nothing feels as good as the CCM elbows. A lot of the elbow pads I've tried just don't seem to move naturally with my arm when I bend it like the CCMs do.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:06 AM
AIREAYE

Stickmata, are yours a two piece pad or three piece?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Stickmata

Mine are the two piece. I think they're the equivalent to the new CL +12 Senior model they sell now. Most elbow pads I've tried don't flex enough when I extend my arm, resulting in either creating a gap over the elbow tip or causing the whole thing to move on my arm. The CCMs flex perfectly and stay right in place all the time. The protection is pretty good as well.

I think the reason the CCMs feel so good is because the material they use is different than what I've seen on the RBKs of the Bauers. CCM seems to have less hard plastic and more hard foam. And the stretch fabric appears to be different as well.

Overall, I think the CCM shins, shoulders and elbows are the best out there.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Agreed with the trying it on part. It's a 3 piece elbow and CCM has been going with this concept for quite a while. The grip is really nice, since there's a neoprene layer underneath the Y-shaped anchor strap that goes across your upper arm near the joint without interfering with motion. The donut also has neoprene for added grip. Combine this with a shirt with silicone elbow grip and you're golden.

I personally do not find them at all mobile or well-fitted. I normally go into Sr Small, but mobility was quite hampered for me since some of the elbow 'tabs' went into the main body, restricting movement a bit. Not impressed, though I never fit into the U+ Pros well either and I'm a bit skinnier in the arms...definitely go try on though.
Indeed, as with all gear, fit is key with elbow pads. For arms of my shape, these pads were terrific. I would never buy elbow pads (or any piece of gear, quite frankly) online, having the ability to try on gear at a shop is worth way more than any marginal savings you get online.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been looking forward to these. The reports are great on them. I could see picking some up down the road, depending on how my stuff is holding up and how they fit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote