HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella's Playing Career In Sweden

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
RangersDif

vCash: 500
Tortorella's Playing Career In Sweden

http://www.dn.se/sport/ishockey/tort...-till-new-york

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/sport/fran...l-stanley-cup/

Two Swedish newspapers wrote about John Tortorella's playing career in the Swedish Division 3 (fith division, SEL is first, then Allsvenskan, then Div. 1) team Kristianstad IK. They interviewed players who played with him. If you're Swedish you can read the links at the top (or try Google Translate if you're not) but I will sum up the articles here.

- When he walked into the dressing room you saw he was a real tough guy. Black curly hair, black beard and black eyes. (Mats Aspnäs, GK)

Tortorella wasn't a goal scorer, but he was a fighter and played a psychical game. And he knew how to check.

One player recalls a game where Torts took so much speed and power to check another player that he missed, flew over the boards and on to the asphalt on the other side. He got up and ran on the asphalt with his skates and jumped back over the boards again.

Outside of the rink life was a party for Torts but he doesn't like to comment on the time himself. When the Rangers were in Stockholm in October 2011 he didn't want to comment on his time with the Swedish team.

Torts got himself plenty of parking tickets since when he went to a restaurant he just left the car right outside.

Despite this lifestyle, Torts had a lot of respect for the staff and coaches in the team and there is no doubt that he is a better coach than he was player.

Aspnäs also recalls the last game where the team couldn't drop out or get higher in the standings so the team incited him to take a fight. A player in the other team started roughing a bit after the whistle had blown so Torts knocked him down. Then he took a break and started fighting again. The opposing team's players starting cheering so Torts skated over and starting fighting the team in their box. They had to drag Torts out and afterwards all he said was "was it OK guys?".

The next day there was a big picture of Torts in the local paper and it said that if it had only been boxing, Torts would have won more points.

I thought it was a pretty funny article and I didn't know if you guys had heard of it so I decided to post it! Cheers!

Old
04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
NYROrtsFan

Wow, some interesting stuff. Thanks

He's definitely an interesting dude. Great coach too. Hopefully going to win his 2nd cup with as many teams.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

I guess I wasn't paying attention because I had no idea Torts played hockey in a Swedish league. Interesting.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=5440

Weird, not listed on HockeyDB.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:19 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Sounds like the plot of a movie. Hard partying John Torts in a lower division Swedish league? I'd pay to watch it.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
I don't think they track Swedish third division on HockeyDB.

His season in Sweden is listed on Elite Prospects, though they don't have his stats.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32917

It's just pain.
Old
04-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
It's mentioned on his wikipedia page

Old
04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Sounds like the plot of a movie. Hard partying John Torts in a lower division Swedish league? I'd pay to watch it.
it could be a pre-qual to the Rangers season , with a little boy named Lundqvist in the stands watching

Old
04-05-2012, 02:57 PM
avery16*

Tortorella was suspended 1 game by the NHL for an altercation with several Capitals fans behind the bench in the third period of Game 5 in the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Replays show the fan clearly heckling Tortorella through verbal jeering, before Tortorella responded by throwing a water bottle at a fan before grabbing a stick from Aaron Voros and trying to spear the fan through a space between 2 panes of glass.

hahaha, from wikipedia..

what a ****ing guy... i wonder how long before the players tune him out though, 2-3 years max?

Old
04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
ogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery16 View Post
what a ****ing guy... i wonder how long before the players tune him out though, 2-3 years max?
only took sean avery 2.

Old
04-05-2012, 03:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Tortorella was suspended 1 game by the NHL for an altercation with several Capitals fans behind the bench in the third period of Game 5 in the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Replays show the fan clearly heckling Tortorella through verbal jeering, before Tortorella responded by throwing a water bottle at a fan before grabbing a stick from Aaron Voros and trying to spear the fan through a space between 2 panes of glass.

hahaha, from wikipedia..

They are 1st in the East and the team obviously responds to him.

Old
04-05-2012, 03:08 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:

hahaha, from wikipedia..

Sean is that you? If you don't like Torts that's fine, your entitled to your opinion , but come on man, where first in the east, he's established a great system that's working for us, not to mention the work ethic that he has instilled in our whole line up ,how can you hate on this guy. ****** the caps an there fans

Old
04-05-2012, 03:15 PM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Well.. considering he has been HC for that amount of time and how hard the team plays for him...

Only person it took 2 years to tune out was Avery. And he may be still scuba diving for his skates.

Old
04-05-2012, 03:32 PM
haveandare

Quote:

hahaha, from wikipedia..

Players "tune out" coaches who are, above all else, unsuccessful. This Rangers team has had one of the best regular seasons in franchise history and many players have gone on the record about how much they all buy into Torts's system and how important it is to the team's success.

I liked Avery too. It's okay. Time to move on.

Old
04-05-2012, 05:51 PM
avery16*

huh? im a huge torts fan.. but seriously a coach who is hard on his players will eventually be tuned out.. hes been here for 2 years? ok he was in tampa for 6.5 years.. another 4.5 years of torts.. if you think 4.5 years more or torts telling these guys to block shorts.. eventually mcdonaugh is just gonna give him the yes treatment..

and just cause i dont update my user name to fit the players on the team doesnt mean i havent moved on from sean avery? who are you guys ********? clearly the rangers are one of the better hockey teams around, but for how long?

man you guys arent too good are critical thinking.

Old
04-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
If there's one thing players hate, I imagine it's a coach whose style leads them to success.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Nickmo82

vCash: 50
i didn't know he was on the rangers payroll back in 99/00. what was his role?

Old
04-05-2012, 06:09 PM
RangerBlues

[QUOTE=avery16;47344747]Tortorella was suspended 1 game by the NHL for an altercation with several Capitals fans behind the bench in the third period of Game 5 in the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Replays show the fan clearly heckling Tortorella through verbal jeering, before Tortorella responded by throwing a water bottle at a fan before grabbing a stick from Aaron Voros and trying to spear the fan through a space between 2 panes of glass.

hahaha, from wikipedia..

Considering Management supports him 110%. Tuning Torts out get you shipped out.
Go fetch your skates from the river.

Old
04-05-2012, 06:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmo82 View Post
i didn't know he was on the rangers payroll back in 99/00. what was his role?
He was an assistant coach. Then he coached the team the final few games after Muckler was fired.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:38 AM
avery16*

[QUOTE=RangerBlues;47354985]
Quote:

hahaha, from wikipedia..

Considering Management supports him 110%. Tuning Torts out get you shipped out.
Go fetch your skates from the river.
haha funny how one dimensional you are man.. how about think about my post before chirping at me as if im the real sean avery... why would i get my skates from the river? what river? what the hell are you talking about?

seriously.. clearly they are behind him 110 percent right now you nimrod, they have a great chance at the president trophy..

Old
04-07-2012, 01:11 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

So how good was he, really? How does 5th-tier Swedish hockey compare to the NCAA or Junior A?

Old
04-07-2012, 05:10 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Torts played in my hometown? Too much ego for such a small city lol

Old
04-07-2012, 06:16 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinstache View Post
So how good was he, really? How does 5th-tier Swedish hockey compare to the NCAA or Junior A?
It's a beer league, tier 5 and 6 are pretty bad. At the time tier 5 was the lowest I think. Most NCAA players(Dunno about the lower collegiate divisions) could make the jump to tier-3, the good ones to tier-2, the legit NHL prospects to the SEL.

Old
05-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Riddum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersDif View Post
http://www.dn.se/sport/ishockey/tort...-till-new-york

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/sport/fran...l-stanley-cup/

Two Swedish newspapers wrote about John Tortorella's playing career in the Swedish Division 3 (fith division, SEL is first, then Allsvenskan, then Div. 1) team Kristianstad IK. They interviewed players who played with him. If you're Swedish you can read the links at the top (or try Google Translate if you're not) but I will sum up the articles here.

- When he walked into the dressing room you saw he was a real tough guy. Black curly hair, black beard and black eyes. (Mats Aspnäs, GK)

Tortorella wasn't a goal scorer, but he was a fighter and played a psychical game. And he knew how to check.

One player recalls a game where Torts took so much speed and power to check another player that he missed, flew over the boards and on to the asphalt on the other side. He got up and ran on the asphalt with his skates and jumped back over the boards again.

Outside of the rink life was a party for Torts but he doesn't like to comment on the time himself. When the Rangers were in Stockholm in October 2011 he didn't want to comment on his time with the Swedish team.

Torts got himself plenty of parking tickets since when he went to a restaurant he just left the car right outside.

Despite this lifestyle, Torts had a lot of respect for the staff and coaches in the team and there is no doubt that he is a better coach than he was player.

Aspnäs also recalls the last game where the team couldn't drop out or get higher in the standings so the team incited him to take a fight. A player in the other team started roughing a bit after the whistle had blown so Torts knocked him down. Then he took a break and started fighting again. The opposing team's players starting cheering so Torts skated over and starting fighting the team in their box. They had to drag Torts out and afterwards all he said was "was it OK guys?".

The next day there was a big picture of Torts in the local paper and it said that if it had only been boxing, Torts would have won more points.

I thought it was a pretty funny article and I didn't know if you guys had heard of it so I decided to post it! Cheers!
I took Torts by KO before I read this but now I take Torts via murder.

Closed Thread